Who has the best shot to win the SEC East? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Who has the best shot to win the SEC East?

SECgamecock453
02-22-2009, 06:25 PM
Remaining schedules:

South Carolina 19-6 (8-4)
Kentucky
@ Vanderbilt
Tennessee
@ Georgia

Florida 21-6 (8-4)
@ LSU
Tennessee
@ MSU
Kentucky

Ouch...

Kentucky 19-8 (8-4)
@ South Carolina
LSU
Georgia
@ Florida

Tennessee 16-10 (7-5)
MSU
@ Florida
@ South Carolina
Alabama

Vanderbilt 16-10 (5-7)
@ Georgia
South Carolina
@ LSU
Arkansas

LSUTigers1404
02-22-2009, 06:29 PM
I think South Carolina will take the East by 1 game over Kentucky.

BleedBlue7
02-22-2009, 06:33 PM
I think South Carolina will take the East by 1 game over Kentucky.

I can't disagree with that.

XPS
02-22-2009, 07:29 PM
Vandy has no shot at all and Tenn has a huge hill to climb. If UK can beat USC Tuesday, then i think UK can take it, if not USC wins it...

SkyAntoine
02-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Vandy has no shot at all and Tenn has a huge hill to climb. If UK can beat USC Tuesday, then i think UK can take it, if not USC wins it...

This. Dropping to USC at home was not good.

georgiaguy31015
02-22-2009, 09:20 PM
I say Carolina.

XPS
02-22-2009, 09:35 PM
This. Dropping to USC at home was not good.

No it wasn't, UK could have already wrapped up the east pretty much if they had took care of business at Home, I don't blame UK for the State loss, State was hitting 25 footers...

USC90
02-23-2009, 08:38 AM
With the schedules the way that they are, the Cocks should have the best shot ... but I think UK pulls it out.

swampmonster
02-23-2009, 10:27 AM
6.67% UF

This might be fun to come back to, I guess we'll see.

Those 2 road games look impossible. :sad2:

GatorMan32
02-23-2009, 10:53 AM
No it wasn't, UK could have already wrapped up the east pretty much if they had took care of business at Home, I don't blame UK for the State loss, State was hitting 25 footers...

and if we hold on v UK and dont lose a game we should never have lost v UGA... everyone could play that.

swampmonster
02-23-2009, 11:16 AM
and if we hold on v UK

You mean if Jodie Meeks doesn't hit an impossible 30 footer. ;)

I don't blame UF for that. LOL.

steelyvan
02-23-2009, 11:24 AM
good question. no frickin clue.
tiebreakers likely in play, right?

fodive
02-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Carolina has the best schedule to do so and controls their own destiny. Not sure that means they are the most likely to take it, though.

Vandy420
02-23-2009, 11:50 AM
South Carolina goes 10-6

Florida goes 11-5

Kentucky 9-7

Tennessee 9-7

Vandy 8-8

GoCommies
02-23-2009, 12:26 PM
I like our schedule but we need too much help. UF wins, USC 2nd, possible 3-way tie (before tiebreakers) for 3rd.

kentubbybasketball
02-23-2009, 12:29 PM
I like Kentucky and Florida, especially with UK at full strength. USC has been skating on thin ice for the entire season quite frankly, but particularly these last few games (like vs Arkansas at home).

The best case scenario is that UK and Florida are both 4 loss teams heading into the CBS game in March with that game deciding the East champ. That would be good business for the SEC.

fodive
02-23-2009, 12:36 PM
I like Kentucky and Florida, especially with UK at full strength. USC has been skating on thin ice for the entire season quite frankly, but particularly these last few games (like vs Arkansas at home).

The best case scenario is that UK and Florida are both 4 loss teams heading into the CBS game in March with that game deciding the East champ. That would be good business for the SEC.

What is the difference between skating on thin ice and proving you can play in crunch time?

kentubbybasketball
02-23-2009, 12:39 PM
IT's clear what the difference is. USC has been very fortunate in close games for the most part this year, but if you're habitually in close games and not knocking people out, especially Arkansas at home, you're giving yourself very little wiggle room.

Also, there are a bunch of teams fighting it out for those last few NCAAT bids... the committee may get to the point where they're looking at how some teams are beating people, and I think there advantage goes to teams that are winning by 15-20 points instead of by 2 points every game. The committee would never admit this, but they study resume so much that they know exactly what program is behind the numbers.

XPS
02-23-2009, 12:41 PM
South Carolina goes 10-6

Florida goes 11-5

Kentucky 9-7

Tennessee 9-7

Vandy 8-8

UK winning only one game in the next 4 games? You wish 420, I'm guaranteeing a win vs LSU and Ga and UK has a great chance to beat USC Tuesday night...

kentubbybasketball
02-23-2009, 12:42 PM
I think it's Wednesday night.

Vandy420
02-23-2009, 12:44 PM
No I wish they would lose every game. But I don't see UK beating LSU or Florida. Keep dreaming. I doubt they will beat USC.

XPS
02-23-2009, 12:45 PM
No I wish they would lose every game. But I don't see UK beating LSU or Florida. Keep dreaming. I doubt they will beat USC.

A little wager on LSU? Time to back your **** up 420...

orange&white
02-23-2009, 01:17 PM

Who the heck can't say that?

XPS
02-23-2009, 01:24 PM
Who the heck can't say that?

UK is 4-2 on the road, only second to LSU. That's a huge difference right there, Fla is 6-0 at home and they haven't wrapped up the east...

Vandy420
02-23-2009, 01:35 PM
A little wager on LSU? Time to back your **** up 420...

B/c I said I don't see UK beating LSU I am talking s**t? My bad for having an opinion that doesn't have UK going undefeated every year.

XPS
02-23-2009, 01:42 PM
B/c I said I don't see UK beating LSU I am talking s**t? My bad for having an opinion that doesn't have UK going undefeated every year.

LOL, that's what i thought 420. You had UK going 1-4 so please spare me the undefeated stuff...

Vandy420
02-23-2009, 01:52 PM
Yea and you are up in arms b/c gasp someone that is not a UK fan had them losing!!!!! Oh my god...what next?

I could care less for UK. Why would I make a bet about UK-LSU when I have not seen LSU play this year and I would be simply betting against Uk b/c they are trash?

If I had seen LSU play and knew how UK would match up I might be more inclined to take a wager. I know you'd be betting on the UK upset but still it is at Uk and we all know how refs get on their knees in Rupp for UK.

XPS
02-23-2009, 02:15 PM
Yea and you are up in arms b/c gasp someone that is not a UK fan had them losing!!!!! Oh my god...what next?

I could care less for UK. Why would I make a bet about UK-LSU when I have not seen LSU play this year and I would be simply betting against Uk b/c they are trash?

If I had seen LSU play and knew how UK would match up I might be more inclined to take a wager. I know you'd be betting on the UK upset but still it is at Uk and we all know how refs get on their knees in
Rupp for UK.

That's funny coming from a Vandy fan, who the refs completely screwed UK 40-23 FT advantage, but hey, Vandy needed it to even beat UK without Pat.

Also UK and Vandy both shot 19 freethrows at Rupp, another ******** myth from 420...

kentubbybasketball
02-23-2009, 02:24 PM

If I had seen LSU play and knew how UK would match up I might be more inclined to take a wager. I know you'd be betting on the UK upset but still it is at Uk and we all know how refs get on their knees in Rupp for UK.

If you've not seen LSU, I don't think you're an authority on whether we can beat them or not.

SkyAntoine
02-23-2009, 02:24 PM
I would give up my Blackberry to see UK play Vandy in the SECT.

LSUTigers1404
02-23-2009, 03:56 PM

Tuesday Feb. 24
8 PM Central Time
ESPN
Florida @ LSU

Tune in, it should be a good game.

Vandy420
02-23-2009, 04:22 PM
KT even admitted you have nothing to cry about regarding the FT difference in the last Vandy-UK game. Give it a break. if you watched the game you know it was UK's aggressiveness and lack of inside presence that was the reason Uk fouled so much.

I would love to beat Uk again. No complaints here. We match up well against Uk, we have the better team.

I only picked LSU over Uk b/c of the records within the SEC. I haven't seen LSU play like I said so that is just my opinion on the game I'm not claiming to gurantee that or anything so quit your b*tching.

XPS
02-23-2009, 04:25 PM
KT even admitted you have nothing to cry about regarding the FT difference in the last Vandy-UK game. Give it a break. if you watched the game you know it was UK's aggressiveness and lack of inside presence that was the reason Uk fouled so much.

I would love to beat Uk again. No complaints here. We match up well against Uk, we have the better team.

I only picked LSU over Uk b/c of the records within the SEC. I haven't seen LSU play like I said so that is just my opinion on the game I'm not claiming to gurantee that or anything so quit your b*tching.

LOL, NIT does not, oops I mean Vandy :rotf:

kentubbybasketball
02-23-2009, 04:25 PM
But, if you've not seen LSU play, you don't know how they match up with us or vice versa. And, looking at records is a shallow way of determining who's gonna win a 40 minute record, seeing "worse teams" beat better teams all the time (see Vandy beating UK last week).

Vandy420
02-24-2009, 09:57 AM
But, if you've not seen LSU play, you don't know how they match up with us or vice versa. And, looking at records is a shallow way of determining who's gonna win a 40 minute record, seeing "worse teams" beat better teams all the time (see UK beating Vandy at Rupp).

Thats why i pointed out thats the only reason I was picking LSU. So don't take my pick as gospel KT. I even made sure to point out I'm not sure how they match up, I just think LSU will win.

You must be having editing problems, i fixed your post again.

GoBigO
02-24-2009, 11:29 AM
South Carolina wins the East.

kentubbybasketball
02-24-2009, 03:24 PM
Thats why i pointed out thats the only reason I was picking LSU. So don't take my pick as gospel KT. I even made sure to point out I'm not sure how they match up, I just think LSU will win.

You must be having editing problems, i fixed your post again.

So, in other words you just have an opinion because you can. Thanks for your time.

AlaGator
02-24-2009, 03:28 PM
I think the Gators have the inside track.

kentubbybasketball
02-24-2009, 03:32 PM
If Florida wins tonight, they do.

AlaGator
02-24-2009, 03:33 PM
If Florida wins tonight, they do.

It's going to be one of the toughest games they will play. I hope they can handle it. If Calathes is "on", they will have a good chance.

XPS
02-24-2009, 03:44 PM
It's going to be one of the toughest games they will play. I hope they can handle it. If Calathes is "on", they will have a good chance.

Actually Nick has been on and Fla lost to UK and Ga, Fla will need others to be on if they get a win tonight...

AlaGator
02-24-2009, 03:49 PM
Actually Nick has been on and Fla lost to UK and Ga, Fla will need others to be on if they get a win tonight...

I'll be watching with my fingers crossed. GO GATORS. :)

XPS
02-24-2009, 03:52 PM

I'm not going to lie, go TIGERS LOL. Should be a great game...:cheers:

kentubbybasketball
02-24-2009, 03:55 PM

Crossing my fingers doesn't work for games. I used to pray for games, too. But, that's so trivial to bring something like that before God.

SECgamecock453
02-26-2009, 12:33 PM
We definitely have the best shot now:

@ Vandy
Tennessee
@ Georgia

We shouldn't do any worse than 2-1 in those games. But honestly you never know in this league this year. All of those games worry me in different ways.

OffThePorch
02-26-2009, 12:37 PM
@ Vandy
Tennessee
@ Georgia
We shouldn't do any worse than 2-1 in those games. But honestly you never know in this league this year. All of those games worry me in different ways.

certainly looks that way. good luck!

ConwayGamecock
02-26-2009, 12:44 PM

@ Vandy
Tennessee
@ Georgia

Vandy certainly worries me.....especially playing in that freak of a basketball arena, where it feels like everything - your team, the crowd, the basket - is far away. You always have depth perception issues there. But, after their showing against UGA, it could be that they're about broken. If our big men can continue to be even close to as aggressive with VU as they were against UK, I think we can win this game.

Still, I wish we had 2 of 3 at home, instead of away......we're unbeaten at home in conference play....

kentubbybasketball
02-26-2009, 12:46 PM

@ Vandy
Tennessee
@ Georgia

Yeah, you have the best shot, but I kind of like Florida's chances too. The way they played @ LSU on Tuesday night is the best I've seen anybody from the East look in defeat.... and that was at LSU.

From a tiebreaker standpoint though, USC is gonna be a higher seed than UK in the SECT unless USC finishes with a worse record, because you own the tiebreaker now.