Jeff Long needs to put out flyers for the Head Hog spot [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Long needs to put out flyers for the Head Hog spot

batmanthelegend
02-21-2009, 02:44 PM
1-10 and 1-11 after today is never acceptable for the Arkansas program. This Hog team is terrible and next year, with no real help coming in (unless Powell gets his grades up), will be just as bad or worse.

Pelphrey is in way over his head and i's shown in conference play. He cost us the LSU game at home. He isn't strong in the X's and O's department. He is a poor recruiter. He lets crappy assistant coaches take over (Olstum). He doesn't have control of his team.

The only thing Pel has going for him is that is he a fiery coach, but that in itself doesn't make a good coach one bit.

If next year isn't better, Long will can Pel's butt in a heartbeat. But ITHINK Long needs to put out secret flyers for THIS offseason to see who is out there and wo is interested. If a big name is ready to bite, go ahead and bring his butt in here. It worked in football. Time to make a change before Pelphrey takes this program even more into the ground!

Bubba
02-21-2009, 03:11 PM
ok i give in, ill respond to your brainless post.

the problem is not pelphrey.

ima go out on a limb and say the need for improvement is getting the ball to go in and 5 guys playing defense at the same time.

UA37
02-22-2009, 11:05 AM
:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

GR8NESS
02-22-2009, 07:51 PM
Lmfao.

iamjethro
02-22-2009, 08:01 PM
C'mon guys. You know Bat's routine by now. Years of this stuff on numerous boards.

OffThePorch
02-22-2009, 08:11 PM
Bat just wants a chance to wear his hog hat.
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/007Of4me8ZbrW/340x.jpg

XPS
02-22-2009, 08:36 PM
I don't blame any Arkansas fan for being upset with Arkansas's record at this point of the season...

batmanthelegend
02-22-2009, 10:27 PM
Exactly XPS, thanks. at this point looking toward next year you have....

-Basically the same team coming back.....(who is 1-11 in SEC Play).....
-Expect Mike Washington, who is rumored to go pro right now.....
-Without hardly any help coming in (Marshawn Powell is questionable grade wise, but would help us).
-And Pelphrey's boy is one of the worse lead assistants in college basketball. Former head coach Rob Evans is getting the shaft. And if he' is Pel's boy he may get to stick around.

So basically you have a POS team...the worst in over 37 years at Arkansas... who may be worse next year due to talent leaving and no one really coming in...what do you people not understand? Pelphrey is in WAYYYYYY over his head. You Kentucky fans better be happy you didn't have to settle for him.

PiggoBitttys
02-22-2009, 10:38 PM
There is no reason to debate any of your points when you are calling for a coach's head in year 2. Coming from you, this is just bat guano.

XPS
02-22-2009, 11:11 PM
I'm not saying Pel should be fired after the season, I do believe most fans would be upset with the record at this point. What makes it so hard is the fact Arkansas beat a final 4 caliber team in Okl and a ncaa tournament team in Texas, most including myself was already claiming Arkansas as the best in the SEC, its a hard pill to swallow after beating those 2 teams and only managing to win one game thus far in the SEC. I don't pretend to know whats going on behind closed doors with the basketball program, I do root hard for Pel to succeed and really root for Arkansas to get things back on track, because lets face it, the SEC needs all the help it can get and when Arkansas was good, it was definitely great for the SEC and college basketball. Arkansas should be much improved next year, if Pel can keep order...

hawgwild
02-23-2009, 12:03 AM
I definetly think Pel should get another year, but if washington leaves and powell doesnt make it, we might just be delaying the inevitable. But i dont think you can fire a coach after just two years.

kentubbybasketball
02-23-2009, 11:49 AM
This has been a quick fall from grace, kinda mirroring Bama in 2003, but much worse. Bama rose to #1 that year and then barely made the NCAAT. Arkansas is gonna have no such luck, as an at large anyway, but it's crazy you can beat Texas and Oklahoma and then be here about 6 weeks later. Makes you wonder where things went wrong.

Just Some Hog Dude
02-23-2009, 01:06 PM
Pelphrey deserves more time with patience and support. He proved he could coach last year when he got the team to the second round. All this negativity accomplishes nothing.

kentubbybasketball
02-23-2009, 01:22 PM
Luckily last year's team had seniors and Beverly who had went to the NCAAT the year before though. Pel does deserve credit for coaching them, but he did what he was supposed to do with that team.

Baconator
02-23-2009, 01:51 PM
Coaching players and managing a program are two different things. So far Pelphrey is taking Arkansas to new lows. Worst loss at Bud Walton (to Auburn no less). Worst start in 37 years. He's poised to break Arkansas' all time worst SEC record at 4-12 held by Stan Heath. 1-11 is absolutely unacceptable.

Pel badly needs to upgrade his staff (though keep Rob Evans) because his South Alabama buddies aren't getting the job done. You can't build a successful basketball program by recruiting projects, sleepers, head cases, and academic risks which is exactly what's happening. If changes aren't made, next season will be Pelphrey's last as Frank Broyles' final failure.

kentubbybasketball
02-23-2009, 01:53 PM
Baconator, welcome to SECFanatics! Good to have your take on things.

I do agree that some people were harsh toward Stan Heath, and some of it was deserved, but the same kind of questions must be leveled at Pelphrey.

UA37
02-23-2009, 02:32 PM
If this happenned at Kentucky they would still be blaming Heath. ANY coach would have had trouble replacing what Pelphrey had to replace in year two. It's very unfortunate for Pelphrey that the two guys he is counting on the most(Fortson and Welsh) are appraently causing a lot of problems in the locker room.

kentubbybasketball
02-23-2009, 02:35 PM
If this happenned at Kentucky they would still be blaming Heath. ANY coach would have had trouble replacing what Pelphrey had to replace in year two. It's very unfortunate for Pelphrey that the two guys he is counting on the most(Fortson and Welsh) are appraently causing a lot of problems in the locker room.

LOL, yeah, just today, XPS brought up Tubby's name for something. LOL Don't judge all UK fans by a few bad apples.

On a serious note though, what was one of the main things Arkansas fans said was attractive about their job (and I said it too): it was that the new coach would be able to come in and "get his guys" right away, and while that was true, it's not panned out the way it was expected.

XPS
02-23-2009, 02:56 PM
LOL, yeah, just today, XPS brought up
Tubby's name for something. LOL Don't judge all UK fans by a few bad apples.

On a serious note though, what was one of the main things Arkansas fans said was attractive about their job (and I said it too): it was that the new coach would be able to come in and "get his guys" right away, and while that was true, it's not panned out the way it was expected.

Are you talking about your Billy G thread? I assume your still in love with Tubby and think he does no wrong, so you were asking if UK is on the bubble next year would fans be off the bandwagon, so I'm asking you if Tubby and Minn are on the bubble next year, will you be off the bandwagon?

kentubbybasketball
02-23-2009, 02:57 PM
And, I'm asking you what does Tubby have to do with this. You must have overlooked the "LOL" at the end of the statement above... you know, you should just let it go, because I've moved on, and I'm trying to have a great time at SECF. I wish you could say the same.

XPS
02-23-2009, 03:00 PM
And, I'm asking you what does Tubby have to do with this. You must have overlooked the "LOL" at the end of the statement above... you know, you should just let it go, because I've moved on, and I'm trying to have a great time at SECF. I wish you could say the same.

Got ya, your question only applies to Billy G:raz:

kentubbybasketball
02-23-2009, 03:03 PM
Yeah, if we're in a thread about Billy G, I think that's a good assumption. Don't make things more than what they are, XPS.

PiggoBitttys
02-23-2009, 11:08 PM
Slow down KT and baconator too. "It's not panning out with Pel's recruits." It's year 1 with those players! And it's not even over yet.

As far as questioning Pel's recruiting, let's see:

He first kept Patrick Beverley from transferring to USF and Stan Heath who had been like a dad to Pat since he came here. Let's not forget that recruiting job.

He got Michael Sanchez over Billy G and UK and several other schools, late in the 2008 recruiting class where he had practically no time.

He signed Rotnei Clarke over a few dozen schools, many very good basketball programs. He signed Courtney Fortson, the #2 prep PG in the nation, over another set of very good basketball programs. Both players have contributed greatly in their true freshman seasons for the Hogs and have been relied upon way too much.

Andre Clark was taken away from Oklahoma which right now is one of the best teams in the nation when Griffin is healthy.

Jason Henry was a 4 star with offers from OU, Cincinnati, Louisville, Tennessee and others. He has shown many flashes throughout the season and is busting out of the seams with athleticism. The guy had 27 points and 12 rebounds on the road at South Carolina last game. He is a future star.

Brandon Moore is a nice young player, he is raw, no doubt about it. But you just don't find talented 6 10' players on the street. Will he be a difference maker? Probably not, but he could be a good role player with some more offseason development.

Then obviously Montrell McDonald didn't work out. It's hard to find 6 or 7 guys who come in ONE recruiting class and all pan out. McDonald was not a good fit.

Next year's recruits have not even got to Arkansas, so I hope noone would dog them at this point, seeing as how Arkansas loves to claim how good its fans are.

I am not one to make excuses. When it was time for Houston Nutt to go, I had no problem sharing it. But this is year 2 and beyond crazy to be thinking of firing a coach. This is really rebuilding year number one for Pel.

Who expected Arkansas to do much in the SEC this year? I would love to know, because they have to be bat$hit crazy to think so. I figured they would win somewhere around 18 games and maybe make the NIT. I thought they wouldn't be last in the west, but obviously with only 18 total wins, I didn't expect much better.

kentubbybasketball
02-24-2009, 02:05 PM
Well, when you were beating OU and Texas many people ridiculed those of us who did in fact project Arkansas to finish last in the West. So, yeah, people are talking about it now.

BTW, I never said Pel's recruiting was good or bad. But, one of the benefits of firing Heath when you did was that it was going to allow a new coach to come in and have 6 seniors + Bev in year one... then that new coach would be able to go out and get his own guys. So, it set up to be a nice situation.

Doyle Hargraves
02-24-2009, 04:17 PM
Slow down KT and baconator too. "It's not panning out with Pel's recruits." It's year 1 with those players! And it's not even over yet.

As far as questioning Pel's recruiting, let's see:

He first kept Patrick Beverley from transferring to USF and Stan Heath who had been like a dad to Pat since he came here. Let's not forget that recruiting job.

He got Michael Sanchez over Billy G and UK and several other schools, late in the 2008 recruiting class where he had practically no time.

He signed Rotnei Clarke over a few dozen schools, many very good basketball programs. He signed Courtney Fortson, the #2 prep PG in the nation, over another set of very good basketball programs. Both players have contributed greatly in their true freshman seasons for the Hogs and have been relied upon way too much.

Andre Clark was taken away from Oklahoma which right now is one of the best teams in the nation when Griffin is healthy.

Jason Henry was a 4 star with offers from OU, Cincinnati, Louisville, Tennessee and others. He has shown many flashes throughout the season and is busting out of the seams with athleticism. The guy had 27 points and 12 rebounds on the road at South Carolina last game. He is a future star.

Brandon Moore is a nice young player, he is raw, no doubt about it. But you just don't find talented 6 10' players on the street. Will he be a difference maker? Probably not, but he could be a good role player with some more offseason development.

Then obviously Montrell McDonald didn't work out. It's hard to find 6 or 7 guys who come in ONE recruiting class and all pan out. McDonald was not a good fit.

Next year's recruits have not even got to Arkansas, so I hope noone would dog them at this point, seeing as how Arkansas loves to claim how good its fans are.

I am not one to make excuses. When it was time for Houston Nutt to go, I had no problem sharing it. But this is year 2 and beyond crazy to be thinking of firing a coach. This is really rebuilding year number one for Pel.

Who expected Arkansas to do much in the SEC this year? I would love to know, because they have to be bat$hit crazy to think so. I figured they would win somewhere around 18 games and maybe make the NIT. I thought they wouldn't be last in the west, but obviously with only 18 total wins, I didn't expect much better.

I'm not calling for him to be fired yet. But you have to admit that something negative happened after we beat OK and TX. Teams don't just beat two top-10ish teams and then crap out. He needs to get a handle on the situation quick-like because he's fixing to be responsible for one of AR's worst seasons ever. There is absolutely no excuse for only wining 1 conference game. And that's looking like a possibility. :sad2:

If they lose every game from here on out... Jeff Long should secretly be putting some "feelers" out IMO. Hell, at that point I'd be all for trading Pel to AR St. for John Brady. :think:

kentubbybasketball
02-24-2009, 04:23 PM
Brady is more proven than Pel, but are you being serious, Doyle. I do understand the frustration though. Arkansas fans have been on a roller coaster... first you weren't expected to do good before the year started, you beat two top ten teams at the time, so now you're thinking you will be good, the SEC starts and the season turns out even worse than speculated said it would be before the season started. Tough road.

Doyle Hargraves
02-24-2009, 04:37 PM
Brady is more proven than Pel, but are you being serious, Doyle. I do understand the frustration though. Arkansas fans have been on a roller coaster... first you weren't expected to do good before the year started, you beat two top ten teams at the time, so now you're thinking you will be good, the SEC starts and the season turns out even worse than speculated said it would be before the season started. Tough road.

I'm being facetious about the Brady deal. And in all honesty, I didn't expect us to be good. I (like most) thought we were better than we were after the two big wins... but that's not why I'm so upset. I'm upset b/c there is just absolutely no reason the Arkansas Razorbacks should only win 1 conference game in any year. Zero reason, zero explanation that would make me believe that.

What about you? Even in BCG's first year, What would Kentucky fans have done if he'd only won 1 conference game?

kentubbybasketball
02-24-2009, 04:44 PM
Well, we were mad about last year when we won only 18 games, so I can't imagine how we'd react if G only won 1 conference game.

I do agree with you. Pel has underachieved even by the most conservative estimates, especially for a team that's beaten a potential final four team. It's astonishing, and it's really gotten out of hand. It's almost like losing has become contagious for that team this year. Pel has got to change the vibes around the program, because I'd imagine recruiting will be hard this summer with the perception that's sure to be floating around the program.

Baconator
02-24-2009, 06:01 PM
I'm on the fence on Pelphrey. On one hand he deserves at least 3 seasons and despite the atrocious league record and heartbreaking losses his players still play hard for him. On the other hand unless recruiting picks up I just don't see Arkansas being more than a bubble team under his watch.

His recruiting is my biggest concern. His first class was good with Courtney Fortson, Jason Henry, and Rotnei Clarke being impact players. However, Fortson and Henry were huge academic risks, while Terrance Joyner and Daniel Payne were academic casualties. Montrell McDonald, Payne's replacement, turned out to be a head case and quit the team early in the season. That's three non competitors in one class. Not good..

His second class has been a disaster where he and his staff proceeded to whiff on nearly every recruit and transfer that they looked at. It's never a good sign when you get beat out by such basketball powerhouses as Baylor, Oregon, Texas A&M, Georgia State, and UAB. The three players they signed in the fall include a center who's likely headed to prep school because of grades/development, a juco SG, and a PF with grade issues (notice a trend?). They're currently scouring jucos looking for warm bodies.

On various Razorback boards some posters with AAU connections are saying Arkansas leads on none of their 2010 targets, so it's obvious Pel needs to make some big changes. One thing's for sure if Tom Ostrom is on the staff next season Pel needs to be fired immediately. That guy is dead weight.

Texaubie
02-24-2009, 10:15 PM
Well, when you were beating OU and Texas many people ridiculed those of us who did in fact project Arkansas to finish last in the West. So, yeah, people are talking about it now.

BTW, I never said Pel's recruiting was good or bad. But, one of the benefits of firing Heath when you did was that it was going to allow a new coach to come in and have 6 seniors + Bev in year one... then that new coach would be able to go out and get his own guys. So, it set up to be a nice situation.

I remember that the Batman called out Auburn.........Auburn answered. To this day still no hog fan has sad grats lol.... just cry cry we lost to Auburn.

Which I think is funny, cause if we dared to think Arkansas shouldn't compete with us in something there would be a meltdown of mass proportion.

Personally I hate revolving door coaching, in and out in and out. Players never are sure who they are going to be playing for and developing something is impossible.

PiggoBitttys
02-25-2009, 12:47 AM
Oh Aubie you little drama queen. ;)

Congrats on beating the hogs! There!

:D

As far as the other posters in this thread, I have two things to say:

1. This year is not over. We have 4 conference games left, two very winnable games. So let's not sit around and just EXPECT to win only one game this year. Stan Heath went 4-12 very early on and nobody cried a river like they are now.

2. This is year one of rebuilding. Last year was a blessing. Pel got to coach experienced, quality players. This year, we replaced more players than any other team in Hog history as far as anyone has ever shown me. I absolutely love we beat OU and Texas, but that doesn't mean diddly squat in the SEC. Nolan Richardson beat Danny Manning and Kansas in one of his first seasons and you know what? He went on to have a terrible season in conference much like Pel is doing now. The bottom line is There is absolutely tons of reasons for Arkansas to be last in the West right now. That is why we were picked to be last. I don't care if we win one game or 3 games, last is last. Rebuilding is rebuilding. This was not going to be a NCAA tourney year any way you slice it, those expecting that have too much expectations.

It was pretty clear to me we overachieved vs. OU and Texas. We have been very competitive lately, I expect with more experience and depth to turn those close losses into wins next year.

If you don't want to support it, fine by me. I'll be buying season tickets for the first time next year since I'll no longer be a student. The less of yall that renew, the better seats I'll get. So please give up and forget about it.

kentubbybasketball
02-25-2009, 01:37 PM
No, people in fact cried about Stan Heath's 4-12 record, I remember it, because I was here defending him. So, that's a misconception.

And, sure, there are still games left, but even if Arkansas wins out, it's still gonna be a bad SEC season for them, even bad by "rebuidling standards," but especially for a team that just beat OU and Texas... Pel lost control and it doesn't seem like he's regained it yet.

Texaubie
02-25-2009, 03:48 PM
Oh Aubie you little drama queen. ;)

Congrats on beating the hogs! There!

:D

As far as the other posters in this thread, I have two things to say:

1. This year is not over. We have 4 conference games left, two very winnable games. So let's not sit around and just EXPECT to win only one game this year. Stan Heath went 4-12 very early on and nobody cried a river like they are now.

2. This is year one of rebuilding. Last year was a blessing. Pel got to coach experienced, quality players. This year, we replaced more players than any other team in Hog history as far as anyone has ever shown me. I absolutely love we beat OU and Texas, but that doesn't mean diddly squat in the SEC. Nolan Richardson beat Danny Manning and Kansas in one of his first seasons and you know what? He went on to have a terrible season in conference much like Pel is doing now. The bottom line is There is absolutely tons of reasons for Arkansas to be last in the West right now. That is why we were picked to be last. I don't care if we win one game or 3 games, last is last. Rebuilding is rebuilding. This was not going to be a NCAA tourney year any way you slice it, those expecting that have too much expectations.

It was pretty clear to me we overachieved vs. OU and Texas. We have been very competitive lately, I expect with more experience and depth to turn those close losses into wins next year.

If you don't want to support it, fine by me. I'll be buying season tickets for the first time next year since I'll no longer be a student. The less of yall that renew, the better seats I'll get. So please give up and forget about it.

We just wanna be recognized as a contributor and competitor in the SEC and there is no reason that we or any school should be considered below another university in this conference on the athletic field and ....=P lol.

PiggoBitttys
02-25-2009, 07:19 PM
No, people in fact cried about Stan Heath's 4-12 record, I remember it, because I was here defending him. So, that's a misconception.

KT this is a SEC message board. I have and do frequent at least 3 different HOG message boards. The venom being displayed now towards Pel, IMO, is more than Heath had towards him early on during struggles. This SEC board has a few hog fans, but I would not call it a good indicator of Razorback nation sentiments. So it's only a misconception in your experience, but I have listened to and read many more Hog fan opinions, with all due respect.

batmanthelegend
02-25-2009, 08:35 PM
Keep Posting Those Flyers Jeff Long! Time To Take Out The Trash!

Baconator
02-25-2009, 08:44 PM
30 point beatdown in progress. Arkansas is staring at 1-12 in league play and going winless in February for the first time ever. I sure hope Pel can rely on his Sun Belt coaching pedigree and pull us through this. :banghead:

batmanthelegend
02-25-2009, 11:30 PM
Hopefully Nolan walks right to the bench on Sunday and tells Pel take his butt back to South Alabama!

PEL SUCKS

Doyle Hargraves
02-26-2009, 03:31 AM
If they lose every game from here on out... Jeff Long should secretly be putting some "feelers" out IMO. Hell, at that point I'd be all for trading Pel to AR St. for John Brady. :think:

Brady is more proven than Pel, but are you being serious, Doyle. .

I'm being facetious about the Brady deal.

After getting blown out by Bama 88-67, I'm changing my mind. I am no longer joking... I would trade Pel for John Brady in a heartbeat!

:thumb:

BamaHoHo
02-26-2009, 06:37 AM
I was at the game last night & if nothing else the Arkansas uniform looks Tight. :rotf:

kentubbybasketball
02-26-2009, 11:52 AM
KT this is a SEC message board. I have and do frequent at least 3 different HOG message boards. The venom being displayed now towards Pel, IMO, is more than Heath had towards him early on during struggles. This SEC board has a few hog fans, but I would not call it a good indicator of Razorback nation sentiments. So it's only a misconception in your experience, but I have listened to and read many more Hog fan opinions, with all due respect.

Let's analyze that, shouldn't there be more venom now... Nolan Richardson's final year/Mike Anderson's interim season finished out with only 12 wins I believe and around 16 losses if i remember correctly. Stan Heath was fired on the heels of a NCAAT bid and he left behind 5 seniors and Patrick Beverly. Now, I know that's not the case now in terms of experience, but the program is higher when Pel took over than when Heath took over, so there will be more venom.

Baconator
02-26-2009, 05:10 PM
Pelphrey has more technicals this year than SEC wins. Pathetic...