Will South Carolina make the NCAAT? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Will South Carolina make the NCAAT?

SECgamecock453
02-20-2009, 06:38 PM
At 18-6 (7-4), I don't know what our chances are, but it certainly doesn't hurt that we're in a 4-way tie, otherwise that just wouldn't cut it. We have Arkansas in Columbia this weekend, and we have to start by winning that game. The rest of the season is just brutal...

msudawg4life
02-20-2009, 06:48 PM
hehe...really don't know..it's in their hands just like most of the teams in the down SEC

BleedBlue7
02-20-2009, 07:09 PM
I think USC deserves it. I say that they get in.

SECgamecock453
02-20-2009, 07:10 PM
I say we beat Arkansas, split the the games vs UK and @ Vandy, lose to UT, and beat UGA. That would put as at 21-8 (10-6).

AubieTiger91
02-20-2009, 07:40 PM
I say we beat Arkansas, split the the games vs UK and @ Vandy, lose to UT, and beat UGA. That would put as at 21-8 (10-6).

Most years that will get you in. Need a good SEC tourney showing.

Thunder Gulch
02-20-2009, 08:02 PM
10-6 puts you in the conversation. Would probably need to see Saturday in the SEC tournament to push it over the top. It may depend on who else is 10-6 or better in the league.

georgiaguy31015
02-20-2009, 09:06 PM
Call me crazy but I think SC gets in.

ConwayGamecock
02-20-2009, 09:08 PM
It's possible......

weegeman
02-20-2009, 10:09 PM
I think So. Car. gets in. Hopefully it won't be at our expense. The UK @ SC game will be huge, as will all the remaining SEC East matchups.

SECgamecock453
02-20-2009, 10:11 PM
We only have 1 loss at home this year, and that was to Clemson. We definitely need to win the rest of our home games because the road in the SEC is tough.

Herchel
02-21-2009, 08:23 AM
Your RPI is 45. Usually a winning SEC record makes you a lock. This year, I don't know.

SkyAntoine
02-21-2009, 09:12 AM
I keep hearing 5 teams in from the SEC, but I don't know about that. Maybe if a Georgia wins the Tourney again.

LSU
MSU
UT
USC
UK
UF

Two of those teams are likely out.

OffThePorch
02-21-2009, 09:32 AM
probably in.. unless a meltdown happens & i dont see that. good luck!

UA37
02-21-2009, 10:17 AM
Absolutely USC will make the NCAAs. I think they have great potential to be a sweet sixteen team. Clutch guards shine in the toutnament and the Cocks have one of the best clutch guards in the country.

BergeLSU
02-21-2009, 04:32 PM
I think USC needs to hit 12 wins in the SEC to get in. That will likely mean two wins in the SECT (unless they get a bye, somehow).

fodive
02-21-2009, 05:29 PM
I don't see why we wouldnt with 20+ wins (I assume we can get at least two more), no "bad" losses, and a top 40ish RPI.

SECgamecock453
02-21-2009, 09:59 PM
I wanted to wait until after tonight's game to vote. I just feel that all of these close wins is a sign that we're going to some how pull through and make the NCAAT despite a tough rest of the stretch. Go Gamecocks!

kentubbybasketball
02-23-2009, 12:37 PM
I think USC is the last team "in" from the SEC right now, as we speak. What's hurting USC a bit is that those wins over Baylor, UF, UK, and UT don't mean as much with all of those teams being questionable invitees as well, especially Baylor, which has just imploded in the Big 12.

Right now, I think these are the teams in:

LSU--can't remember the last time a BCS league champ didn't make it.
UF/UT/UK--none of these programs have major wins OOC... UT got Georgetown, UF got NC State, and UK got West Virginia, but none of those wins mean as much now some two months later.
USC--they can't afford a slip up anywhere, and may need a SECT win or two to be secure.

OffThePorch
02-23-2009, 06:48 PM
I don't see why we wouldnt with 20+ wins (I assume we can get at least two more), no "bad" losses, and a top 40ish RPI.

agreed.

SECgamecock453
03-05-2009, 08:46 AM
Not so sure anymore. We really need to win our last two games...and then win a couple in the SECT.. who knows anymore.

ConwayGamecock
03-05-2009, 11:38 AM
We're clearly tied with UT as the 2nd-best SEC option after LSU......UT doesn't have the overall record wins, but they have the better SOS and RPI, and of course are tied with us in conference play. With the losses last night of UK and UF placing them 2 losses behind USC and UT in the standings, USC would have to lose out to fall back to their position.

So that leaves LSU and possible UT (with a win tonight) as being the only NCAAT teams from the SEC? Auburn has come on like a banshee lately, but with their team being behind USC in RPI and at the same level in SOS, I can't see them moving ahead of us. It will matter that we finish strong in these last few games, and advancing into the late rounds of the SECT would certainly help our cause, but I think we have a solid position for making the NCAAT.

Tennessee
03-07-2009, 12:54 PM

Hey 453, this is your post from a couple of weeks ago, and this if you beat UGA today, you will have nailed the prediction right on the head, so why so frustrated now and looking forward to b-ball season?

Just curious

Herchel
03-07-2009, 01:02 PM
They have to beat the mighty Dawgs first.

Tennessee
03-07-2009, 01:07 PM
They have to beat the mighty Dawgs first.

Dawgs have the formula down, same as last year...Play crappy most of the year, expend enough energy to win a couple of games, but not much...Be fresher than any other team in the SECT and win it...Why work hard for a whole year, when all you really have to do is win 4 games :raz:

GDawg88
03-07-2009, 01:08 PM
Georgia's Season Ruining Checklist

Virginia Tech, check

Florida, check

Vanderbilt, check

Kentucky, check

South Carolina, ?

Herchel
03-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Dawgs have the formula down, same as last year...Play crappy most of the year, expend enough energy to win a couple of games, but not much...Be fresher than any other team in the SECT and win it...Why work hard for a whole year, when all you really have to do is win 4 games :raz:

Exactly. We've got it down pat. Play possum all year, then win the SECT.

SECgamecock453
03-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Hey 453, this is your post from a couple of weeks ago, and this if you beat UGA today, you will have nailed the prediction right on the head, so why so frustrated now and looking forward to b-ball season?

Just curious

I don't know why I get so mad, I guess I just expected more from our team than to get blown out by Tennessee at home. Looks like we will beat Georgia today, which makes my prediction for that stretch of the season correct, wow, forgot all about the prediction. Guess I can't be too mad, I just really want to see this team in the NCAAT. I'm tired of the NIT...and even though that'd be good with a first year coach, I want more and so does our fan base.

SECgamecock453
03-07-2009, 03:31 PM
Either MSU fans are like Nostradamus, or they just really hate us???

Djshockley3
03-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Georgia's Season Ruining Checklist

Virginia Tech, check

Florida, check

Vanderbilt, check

Kentucky, check

South Carolina, ?

LOL, I was just thinking about this the other day. We seriously will probly keep UK, UF, and Va Tech out.

georgiaguy31015
03-07-2009, 11:48 PM
LOL, I was just thinking about this the other day. We seriously will probly keep UK, UF, and Va Tech out.

Well if we can't get in and apparently at this point we can't I'm perfectly fine with keeping some others out lol.

SECgamecock453
03-08-2009, 12:25 AM
Some guys on ESPN (didn't care to see their names) just said that they think only LSU and Tennessee will get into the tournament from the SEC. Both put South Carolina and Florida on the bubble and basically said that either team had to get to the SEC Championship game to get in...

I hope the selection committee is a bit smarter than that. But I realize we have to make a little noise in the SECT to solidify our bid.

msudawg4life
03-08-2009, 12:27 AM
Well if we can't get in and apparently at this point we can't I'm perfectly fine with keeping some others out lol.

don't you love knowing you are prob the reason they won't be playing ball in the ncaa tourney....hey..the season may of been a complete waste, but at least you got to play the spoiler.