Your All SEC Team Picks [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Your All SEC Team Picks

BleedBlue7
02-20-2009, 02:15 PM
Which 5 players will you pick to be on your All SEC team?

1. Devan Downey, USC or Nick Calathes, UF... I like them both, can't decide.
2. Jodie Meeks, UK
3. Tasmin Mitchell, LSU
4. Patrick Patterson, UK
5. Jarvis Varnado, MSU

VandyChuck
02-20-2009, 02:31 PM
Downey
Meeks
Calathes
Thornton
T. Smith

T. Mitchell just missed my cut.

OffThePorch
02-20-2009, 02:36 PM
1. Nick Calathes, UF
2. Jodie Meeks, UK
3. Tasmin Mitchell, LSU
4. Patrick Patterson, UK
5. Jarvis Varnado, MSU

kentubbybasketball
02-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Which 5 players will you pick to be on your All SEC team?

1. Devan Downey, USC or Nick Calathes, UF... I like them both, can't decide.
2. Jodie Meeks, UK
3. Tasmin Mitchell, LSU
4. Patrick Patterson, UK
5. Jarvis Varnado, MSU

Oh, I love Patrick Patterson, and maybe if you're taking one player at each position (like it seems like you're doing), he'd be the best power forward, although I don't know if he's our starting 4 or 5... but otherwise, I don't think Pat makes the 5 man All-SEC team... now the Coach's 8 man team may be a different story.

The way I figure it there are 4 unanimous picks:
Jodie Meeks-SEC Player of the Year
Marcus Thornton-SEC Player of the Year runner-up
Nick Calathes-the most versatile player
Devan Downey
Jarvis Varnado-on defense, he's the equal of the dynamic Meeks has on offense

That's the order of my SEC POY rankings, too.

Now, if I were picking guys for each position:
1-Downey
2-Meeks
3-Calathes
4-Patterson
5-Varnado

The only way Downey makes it as the best PG is if Calathes slides over to the 3, otherwise, Calathes is the better PG IMO.

BleedBlue7
02-20-2009, 02:54 PM
Oh, I love Patrick Patterson, and maybe if you're taking one player at each position (like it seems like you're doing), he'd be the best power forward, although I don't know if he's our starting 4 or 5... but otherwise, I don't think Pat makes the 5 man All-SEC team... now the Coach's 8 man team may be a different story.

The way I figure it there are 4 unanimous picks:
Jodie Meeks-SEC Player of the Year
Marcus Thornton-SEC Player of the Year runner-up
Nick Calathes-the most versatile player
Devan Downey
Jarvis Varnado-on defense, he's the equal of the dynamic Meeks has on offense

That's the order of my SEC POY rankings, too.

Now, if I were picking guys for each position:
1-Downey
2-Meeks
3-Calathes
4-Patterson
5-Varnado

The only way Downey makes it as the best PG is if Calathes slides over to the 3, otherwise, Calathes is the better PG IMO.

I still think 2Pat is one of the top 2 forwards in the SEC. 2Pat and Tasmin Mitchell are the 2 best forwards IMO. Varnado is the best center IMO.

kentubbybasketball
02-20-2009, 02:57 PM
Rivals says that Pat is the third best power forward in the entire country, so I'm not arguing with you really. I think if Pat is playing healthy, and if Jodie doesn't go off this year, Pat is clearly the best SEC post player... however, based on his production and the inflated expectations Pat created for himself, maybe he doesn't make the cut for First Team. I will say that like Phil Fulmer in football at UT, Patrick Patterson is maybe a victim of his own success.

Thunder Gulch
02-20-2009, 04:00 PM
Downey
Meeks
Calathes
Thornton
Varnardo

I think Ty Smith will make it, and it's hard to argue against him, but the other guys impacted their respective team more.

BleedBlue7
02-20-2009, 04:39 PM
Rivals says that Pat is the third best power forward in the entire country, so I'm not arguing with you really. I think if Pat is playing healthy, and if Jodie doesn't go off this year, Pat is clearly the best SEC post player... however, based on his production and the inflated expectations Pat created for himself, maybe he doesn't make the cut for First Team. I will say that like Phil Fulmer in football at UT, Patrick Patterson is maybe a victim of his own success.

What about a victim of Meeks success as well? Meeks takes 25 shots a game, Patterson doesn't get nearly close to a half of that many, as he should. I think that it's a bit of both factors. Based on his amazing freshman season, on top of Meeks averaging 40 points a game and 25 shots a game.

kentubbybasketball
02-20-2009, 04:57 PM
Absolutely, he's a victim of Meeks' success. Meeks needs to get his shots though, especially if Pat isn't playing or playing injured like he's done with his finger injury at least since the Auburn game.

BleedBlue7
02-20-2009, 05:13 PM
Absolutely, he's a victim of Meeks' success. Meeks needs to get his shots though, especially if Pat isn't playing or playing injured like he's done with his finger injury at least since the Auburn game.

Agreed.

orange&white
02-20-2009, 05:50 PM
Calathes
Downey
Meeks
Smith
Thorton

govandy0620
02-20-2009, 10:13 PM
Downey
Calathes