LSU: SEC Champs? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : LSU: SEC Champs?

kentubbybasketball
02-19-2009, 03:40 PM
I'll go ahead and be the first on the board to congratulate LSU on their SEC title. LSU has 5 games left and a 3 win lead on MSU, UK, USC, UT, and UF, which are all in second place. I picked LSU to win the West, and I said the East would beat up on each other, which could benefit the West champ, but LSU has taken this thing and ran with it. This could be only a 3 loss team in the SEC play (worse case scenario), and that's just astonishing.

I tooted Trent Johnson's horn from the minute he was hired, but even I underhyped coach! He's excellent! Now, people can shut up that act like he only had success due to the Lopez twins!

Congrats on your SEC Championship... a program that gets it done in football, men's basketball, and women's basketball (perhaps not this year with 9 new girls). Kudos!

RailroadGin
02-19-2009, 03:44 PM
I'll go ahead and be the first on the board to congratulate LSU on their SEC title. LSU has 5 games left and a 3 win lead on MSU, UK, USC, UT, and UF, which are all in second place. I picked LSU to win the West, and I said the East would beat up on each other, which could benefit the West champ, but LSU has taken this thing and ran with it. This could be only a 3 loss team in the SEC play, and that's just astonishing.

I tooted Trent Johnson's horn from the minute he was hired, but even I underhyped coach! He's excellent! Now, people can shut up that act like he only had success due to the Lopez twins!

Congrats on your SEC Championship... a program that gets it done in football, men's basketball, and women's basketball (perhaps not this year with 9 new girls). Kudos!

Congrats to LSU as well! I think Trent Johnson is a very good coach, but how in the world did Brady not win with that roster? LSU better do their damage this year. Next year will be down compared to this one.

MSUado
02-19-2009, 03:45 PM
LSU has some talent no doubt.

MSU and LSU are a combined 7-0 versus the East. Those wins and their sweep over us have virtually guaranteed them the title.

kentubbybasketball
02-19-2009, 03:46 PM
Let's not worry about next year though. This year they will be the SEC Champions.

I think Brady had trouble due to not having any accountability. CTJ has made them accountable in two main areas: rebounding and defense. As long as LSU follows that blueprint, they should have enough offense to be among the 4 best SEC programs during CTJ's tenure.

OffThePorch
02-19-2009, 03:47 PM
LSU is very talented & hopefully will make it far in the dance. TJ looks be COY!

kentubbybasketball
02-19-2009, 03:49 PM
What's so pleasing about this too (since UK won't win it now) is that LSU fans are very respectful and cool. Makes you happy for them.

Just seems like a new coach wins SEC COY everytime now. AK two years ago, Gillispie last year, CTJ likely this year. New coaches are being left some good teams to work with, but CTJ has had the best first year in the league, since maybe Bruce Pearl or Tubby Smith at Kentucky. CTJ has just been incredible! I hope he takes LSU to the Sweet 16 at least this year... he'll be one of the few (Tubby, Kruger, Pitino... all former SEC coaches) to take three programs to the Sweet 16.

LSUTigers1404
02-19-2009, 04:10 PM
I'll go ahead and be the first on the board to congratulate LSU on their SEC title. LSU has 5 games left and a 3 win lead on MSU, UK, USC, UT, and UF, which are all in second place. I picked LSU to win the West, and I said the East would beat up on each other, which could benefit the West champ, but LSU has taken this thing and ran with it. This could be only a 3 loss team in the SEC play (worse case scenario), and that's just astonishing.

Don't forget baseball! :)

Thanks for the props kentubby. I also was very excited when we hired Coach Johnson, but I did not expect this. I underestimated this team. These are the same guys that played a big role in getting to the Final Four 3 years ago. I'm hoping for a strong finish in SEC play.

Unless LSU totally collapses, this would be our 10th SEC title. That means we only need to win 33 more to catch Kentucky. :cheers:

msudawg4life
02-19-2009, 04:13 PM
gratz LSU....thought the West didn't have decent teams though???????

kentubbybasketball
02-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Don't forget baseball! :)

Thanks for the props kentubby. I also was very excited when we hired Coach Johnson, but I did not expect this. I underestimated this team. These are the same guys that played a big role in getting to the Final Four 3 years ago. I'm hoping for a strong finish in SEC play.

Unless LSU totally collapses, this would be our 10th SEC title. That means we only need to win 33 more to catch Kentucky. :cheers:

Well, let's not began to talk about what we need to do to catch Les Miles in football. :raz:

Seriously though, I don't think this is the same as that final four team... that team was led by Davis, Mitchell, and Thomas as the three best players. Tasmin Mitchell and Garrett Temple and Chris Johnson were aboard I believe, but this is completely different talent.

I think the maturation of Marcus Thornton has been amazing. If it wasn't for Jodie Meeks' stellar scoring this year, we'd be hailing Thornton as one of the SEC's best scorers in years. The guy has it all in his game... everything.

Kudos to your program for wanting to win and having a vision of how to do that by getting what's one of the SEC's top 4 coaches IMO.

kentubbybasketball
02-19-2009, 04:15 PM
gratz LSU....thought the West didn't have decent teams though???????

I assume you're talking to me with that, but I said from the getgo when CTJ was hired, that LSU was gonna be having seasons like this... I just didn't think this soon.

I knew LSU was gonna be a force... the onus is on the rest of the West to reach this level IMO. SO, yeah, the West does have one decent (actually very good) team.

LSUTigers1404
02-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Well, let's not began to talk about what we need to do to catch Les Miles in football. :raz:

Seriously though, I don't think this is the same as that final four team... that team was led by Davis, Mitchell, and Thomas as the three best players. Tasmin Mitchell and Garrett Temple and Chris Johnson were aboard I believe, but this is completely different talent.

I think the maturation of Marcus Thornton has been amazing. If it wasn't for Jodie Meeks' stellar scoring this year, we'd be hailing Thornton as one of the SEC's best scorers in years. The guy has it all in his game... everything.

Kudos to your program for wanting to win and having a vision of how to do that by getting what's one of the SEC's top 4 coaches IMO.

Yea, that's what I meant. They only contributed. But you are right, they were not the driving force.

kentubbybasketball
02-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Yea, that's what I meant. They only contributed. But you are right, they were not the driving force.

Which makes this season and hopefully your NCAAT run that much more impressive... this is two different generations of players and two different coaching staffs.

XPS
02-19-2009, 04:26 PM
Congrats, Me and KT said from the start that Trent Johnson was the real deal...

kentubbybasketball
02-19-2009, 04:28 PM
The only coach we've ever seen eye to eye on, so yet another reason to know CTJ can coach this game.

OffThePorch
02-19-2009, 04:31 PM
Congrats, Me and KT said from the start that Trent Johnson was the real deal...

http://www.slottweak.com/images/joe2trophies.JPG

SkyAntoine
02-19-2009, 05:41 PM
Not so fast!! I'm not giving up hope that UK can win the SEC regular season title...
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_eVB4pxYKr-0/SFPZxlEZ5jI/AAAAAAAAAYM/vCD82tpOGqA/s320/Flesh+wound.jpg

NCMISSSTFAN
02-19-2009, 06:00 PM
LSU is a great team this year and I hope they represent the SEC well in the tourney this season.

BergeLSU
02-19-2009, 06:48 PM
LSU is a great team this year and I hope they represent the SEC well in the tourney this season.

It is all about matchups for LSU.

A big guy like Utah has or Ogilvy poses a big problem for LSU.

georgiaguy31015
02-19-2009, 08:08 PM
Congrats LSU.

BergeLSU
02-19-2009, 08:16 PM
There are still 2 more games to win for this to happen.

I am not ruling out the possibility, so let's not get ahead of ourselves.

msudawg4life
02-19-2009, 08:19 PM
I assume you're talking to me with that, but I said from the getgo when CTJ was hired, that LSU was gonna be having seasons like this... I just didn't think this soon.

I knew LSU was gonna be a force... the onus is on the rest of the West to reach this level IMO. SO, yeah, the West does have one decent (actually very good) team.

I know the East wouldn't want MSU in their Div this year....4-0 i think...

so make that 2 teams.

Dawg
02-20-2009, 01:39 AM
Right...MSU and LSU both have owned the East thus far.

With that said, I sure hope LSU can carry the SEC banner well into the NCAA tournament, which I think is a very real possibility.

So, here's a question...does Trent Johnson win National Coach of the Year? I don't see how he couldn't.

msudawgs1964
02-20-2009, 02:25 AM

well we have beat every team in the East, including your Wildcats, so I guess that makes us at least better than the East eh?

opened door, stepped in.

BleedBlue7
02-20-2009, 02:46 PM
The west is better than the east IMO. LSU is the best team in the SEC, then MSU with a strong argument for 2nd best. LSU is my pick to win the SEC Title.

YR_Tiger
02-20-2009, 02:50 PM

Thanks and rep. I love this new coach. This team has won from out front and come from behind. I think they believe in him.

kentubbybasketball
02-20-2009, 04:04 PM
well we have beat every team in the East, including your Wildcats, so I guess that makes us at least better than the East eh?

opened door, stepped in.

You've also lost to teams below you in the West though, something UF hasn't done. Ultimately, I think MSU is in worse shape for the NCAAT than all four East teams in the discussion. RPI and SOS could backfire on you, and ultimately, I think that's the ultimate decider on all of this, who gets in and who doesn't.

kentubbybasketball
02-20-2009, 04:05 PM
The west is better than the east IMO. LSU is the best team in the SEC, then MSU with a strong argument for 2nd best. LSU is my pick to win the SEC Title.

I find it funny that some MSU fans are trying to link themselves with LSU though. Uh, LSU stands alone this year, kinda like those UF national title teams and some UK teams of the past... MSU isn't even in LSU's league, and neither is the other four East teams with 4 losses.

MSUado
02-20-2009, 04:11 PM
You've also lost to teams below you in the West though, something UF hasn't done. ????

Didn't Florida lose to Georgia.

kentubbybasketball
02-20-2009, 04:13 PM
????

Didn't Florida lose to Georgia.

Yes, Florida did, but Florida has nothing to do with this... I was commenting on how an MSU fan said you've beaten everybody you've played from the East without considering whom you have lost to then. If somebody brought up Florida, I'd gladly discuss that.

MSUado
02-20-2009, 04:13 PM
Yes, Florida did, but Florida has nothing to do with this... I was commenting on how an MSU fan said you've beaten everybody you've played from the East without considering whom you have lost to then. If somebody brought up Florida, I'd gladly discuss that.

You brought up Florida. Did you even read your quote in the above post.

kentubbybasketball
02-20-2009, 04:15 PM
You brought up Florida. Did you even read your quote in the above post.

Actually, you need to read my post... this is what I said about UF in the post you're talking about: "Uh, LSU stands alone this year, kinda like those UF national title teams."

So yeah, I did bring up Florida, but I was clearly talking about their national championship teams, which means 2006 and 2007... not 2009. Nice try, but try again.

MSUado
02-20-2009, 04:16 PM
You've also lost to teams below you in the West though, something UF hasn't done.

I think you've lost your mind. READ THE QUOTE.

Fatboy
02-20-2009, 04:19 PM
He's right, UF did lose to Georgia which is below them in the East.

kentubbybasketball
02-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Oh yeah, I did say that... I was looking at the other Florida reference, and you are right, they lost one game to UGA, which everybody is allowed on the road. But, you've lost two games to teams "lower than you" or are they? Florida meanwhile has lost to USC, UT, and UK... the other uppercrust Eastern teams. Really can't fault them. Ultimately, I think their resume gets them in right now... I think MSU is on the outside looking in though.

If this is a comparison of Florida-MSU in terms of resume, I think there's no debate who's in better shape. It's a probably an argument you'd like to avoid, ado.

MSUado
02-20-2009, 04:24 PM
Oh yeah, I did say that... I was looking at the other Florida reference, and you are right, they lost one game to UGA, which everybody is allowed on the road. But, you've lost two games to teams "lower than you" or are they? Florida meanwhile has lost to USC, UT, and UK... the other uppercrust Eastern teams. Really can't fault them.

Ultimately, I think their resume gets them in right now... I think MSU is on the outside looking in though.

I also think we are on the outside looking in. We have also lost a game on the road versus Auburn which is a far and away better team than Georgia. Two of our losses are v LSU which is by far the best team in the SEC and then we have a bad loss v Ole Miss and there are certainly no excuses for that one.

Meanwhile Florida lost to three teams that we beat and one we have yet to play so I have to retain what I said earlier that if you were to classify a second best team that it would have to be MSU. Our non-conference play was atrocious and ultimately that will keep us out.

kentubbybasketball
02-20-2009, 04:28 PM
You keep saying we've lost to LSU twice... but they are the best team in the SEC. With the position MSU is in, that's probably an opportunity you should capitalize on... since they are the best team in the SEC. I hope UK does.

I'm looking at this from an NCAAT perspective, as you know. As you also know, you're OOC was atrocious, and MSU has played themselves into the discussion, but nothing you've done has made you get on the good side of the bubble. Meanwhile, by most prognostication all four East teams are on the good side of the bubble, so under those circumstances, MSU isn't second best. You're not second best, if you're the league's 6th NCAA entrant.

MSUado
02-20-2009, 04:34 PM
You keep saying we've lost to LSU twice... but they are the best team in the SEC. With the position MSU is in, that's probably an opportunity you should capitalize on... since they are the best team in the SEC. I hope UK does.

I'm looking at this from an NCAAT perspective, as you know. As you also know, you're OOC was atrocious, and MSU has played themselves into the discussion, but nothing you've done has made you get on the good side of the bubble. Meanwhile, by most prognostication all four East teams are on the good side of the bubble, so under those circumstances, MSU isn't second best. You're not second best, if you're the league's 6th NCAA entrant.

You're right. We don't have the second best NCAA resume and that's not what I'm arguing.

kentubbybasketball
02-20-2009, 04:39 PM
To me the "best teams" get in the NCAAT by and large, unless it's extremely close, then it's debateable.