Jodie Meeks Setting Records [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Jodie Meeks Setting Records

kentubbybasketball
02-16-2009, 02:38 PM
This is his fourth SEC Player of the Week honor... Tasmin Mitchell could have won it though.

Jodie owns the Freedom Hall, Thompson-Boiling, and Bud Walton Arena records for most points scored in a game... what's funny is that none of those games were home games.

I think if he keeps this pace up, he should finish second all-time at UK for points in a single season. He just made the 1000 point club, and I think he's coming back next year to challenge for the all-time leading scorer record at UK. I believe that, because he might try to get some advice on how to improve his game... which may include better ballhandling, but in terms of defense (except for gambling too often), body, offensive ability... he's better than most pros.

Right now Jodie Meeks has 3 of the top 8 scoring performances in ALL OF COLLEGE BASKETBALL this season….by himself. In addition, he has put up three of the top 8 scoring performances is UK history….IN ONE YEAR.

weegeman
02-16-2009, 03:24 PM
Had Jodie been healthy last year and if he were to come back next year he would pass Dan Issel. He is a scoring machine, and I don't see how you could keep him off as First Team All-American.

kentubbybasketball
02-16-2009, 03:27 PM
Well, right now, I'd say these guys are locks for First Team

Blake Griffin-POY lock
Hasheem Thabeet
James Harden

Then you've got Steph Curry and Tyler Hansbrough. Curry is injured and may miss some significant, so that could hurt him. Hansbrough gets there for career achievement, but he's had a couple of non double figure scoring games, which has to hurt him.

Is Jodie above Luke Harangody from Notre Dame? Gody's team has struggled mightily, but who knows.

Jodie is a lock for Second Team for sure, our first All-American since Keith Bogans in 2003!

weegeman
02-16-2009, 03:30 PM
How the Irish finish the season may determine Gody's fate. I would take Meeks over Curry.

kentubbybasketball
02-16-2009, 03:34 PM
Personally, I would too, but what's the main reason for having Jodie up there? Scoring. Well, Curry leads the entire country and he's a media darling, even more so than Jodie, which is unusual, since Jodie plays at Kentucky.

weegeman
02-16-2009, 04:35 PM
Jodie has played tougher competition overall. Davidson has played some tough teams but not nearly as many over the course of the whole season. Put Jodie against the same competition and he scores more points, IMO. Or put an All-SEC player on Davidson like Patterson and watch Curry's numbers go down.

ConwayGamecock
02-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Personally, I would too, but what's the main reason for having Jodie up there? Scoring. Well, Curry leads the entire country and he's a media darling, even more so than Jodie, which is unusual, since Jodie plays at Kentucky.

Probably because Curry first gained his national attention last season, leading Davidson to the Final Eight last season, only to fall by 2 points to #1-seeded Kansas.....while Meeks was struggling to average double-digit points a game for UK, while everyone's attention was on Patterson. This season could be labeled somewhat of a fluke for Meeks, who averaged 8.7 and 8.8 ppg his previous two seasons.....Curry picked up this season where everyone expected him to, after pacing the Wildcats with 21.5 and 25.9 ppg his first two seasons.

Curry is leading the nation in scoring this season.....he's earning all the fanfare he's getting, IMO.....if Meeks got more, it would be undeserved.....

weegeman
02-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Probably because Curry first gained his national attention last season, leading Davidson to the Final Eight last season, only to fall by 2 points to #1-seeded Kansas.....while Meeks was struggling to average double-digit points a game for UK, while everyone's attention was on Patterson. This season could be labeled somewhat of a fluke for Meeks, who averaged 8.7 and 8.8 ppg his previous two seasons.....Curry picked up this season where everyone expected him to, after pacing the Wildcats with 21.5 and 25.9 ppg his first two seasons.

Curry is leading the nation in scoring this season.....he's earning all the fanfare he's getting, IMO.....if Meeks got more, it would be undeserved.....

Those are good points but you have to realize Meeks was injured last year and during the few games he got in when he wasn't hurting last season he put up huge numbers. This season is not a fluke for Meeks.

kentubbybasketball
02-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Conway, you might want to stick to things you know about... the only "struggle" Jodie had last year was dealing with a stress fracture, he missed 11 games and never played at even 75% according to people close to the situation. Jodie really didn't have a season last year.

And, Meeks' season is not a fluke. It's not a fluke when you have 3 of the best 8 scoring performances of the entire season, or when you have 3 of Kentucky's best 8 in a season. The guy is a great talent, and he came here known as a scorer. 9 of the SEC's 12 schools recruited him, we knew Jodie had talent, but what he's done is phenomenol, so much so that he is an All-American this year. So, next time you talk about Mr. Meeks, I'd appreciate it if you said "All-American Jodie Meeks."

And, your comments on Curry are just a repeat of basically what I said. If you're trying to convince somebody that Curry is good, you might wanna try another person, I know he is.

kentubbybasketball
02-16-2009, 04:41 PM
weege, Conway let his agenda be known a while ago in the POY thread. To suggest Jodie's had a fluke season when he's routinely put up 20 point games, and had over 30 I belive seven times, and he's hit 45 three times.... is misguided.

ANd, four SEC POY, more than anybody else, isn't a fluke.

OffThePorch
02-16-2009, 04:48 PM
This is his fourth SEC Player of the Week honor... Tasmin Mitchell could have won it though.
Jodie owns the Freedom Hall, Thompson-Boiling, and Bud Walton Arena records for most points scored in a game... what's funny is that none of those games were home games.
Right now Jodie Meeks has 3 of the top 8 scoring performances in ALL OF COLLEGE BASKETBALL this season….by himself. In addition, he has put up three of the top 8 scoring performances is UK history….IN ONE YEAR.

very impressive numbers.
glad he just got 15 in the loss to MSU... the 3rd loss in a row to MSU. :)

ConwayGamecock
02-16-2009, 04:49 PM
Those are good points but you have to realize Meeks was injured last year and during the few games he got in when he wasn't hurting last season he put up huge numbers. This season is not a fluke for Meeks.

I do realize that, but my response was to the notion that Meeks should be more of a "media darling" than Curry is......it's very rare that players who score under 10 ppg become national media darlings.......regardless of whether they just don't know how to score, or if they were prevented from scoring by injury.

More people in the college basketball world knew more about Curry's heroic efforts for Davidson last season than they knew about Meek's injuries.

:)

kentubbybasketball
02-16-2009, 04:49 PM
Sky, I noticed you were in this thread... I started this thread, because you gave me the inspiration.

ConwayGamecock
02-16-2009, 04:50 PM
weege, Conway let his agenda be known a while ago in the POY thread. To suggest Jodie's had a fluke season when he's routinely put up 20 point games, and had over 30 I belive seven times, and he's hit 45 three times.... is misguided.

ANd, four SEC POY, more than anybody else, isn't a fluke.

shall I get a tissue for you?

kentubbybasketball
02-16-2009, 04:51 PM
I do realize that, but my response was to the notion that Meeks should be more of a "media darling" than Curry is......it's very rare that players who score under 10 ppg become national media darlings.......regardless of whether they just don't know how to score, or if they were prevented from scoring by injury.

More people in the college basketball world knew more about Curry's heroic efforts for Davidson last season than they knew about Meek's injuries.

:)

SPin, Spin, Spin. Even Devan Downey would be impressed with those spin moves.

Nobody was ever complaining that Curry was a media darling, or even surprised. I said I was surprised because UK is known to have the largest daily media outlet in the entire country. We're on TV every game, whereas Curry isn't. Kentucky guys, if anything, are overexposed, which is the impetus for my comment. Of course, Curry deserves the attention he gets, I said he was a First Team All-American already. Chill out.

Spin, spin, spin.

SkyAntoine
02-16-2009, 04:53 PM

Who asked you? This is in the Kentucky forum and you have no right to...wait a minute...ummm....nevermind...

kentubbybasketball
02-16-2009, 04:54 PM
Who asked you? This is in the Kentucky forum and you have no right to...wait a minute...ummm....nevermind...

Isn't the Basketball Forum, really the UK forum?:raz:

Isn't the SEC, Jodie Meeks' playgroud? :raz:

ConwayGamecock
02-16-2009, 04:56 PM

Lol, two 21-point games, against Houston and FIU?? 7 points in 31 minutes against Louisville, 5 points in 25 min. against UF, 13 points in 38 minutes against USC: that's struggling, and I doubt he was too injured in games he plays 30+ minutes in......I think I described it well enough.....

kentubbybasketball
02-16-2009, 04:58 PM
That's not struggled when you're the third backcourt option behind good scorers like Joe Crawford and Ramel Bradley, who were never injured.

Gillispie overplayed Jodie last year, and that's why his injury had the severity it had. What's the common cause of stress fractures by the way? Playing too much. I think that describes it enough.

And, regardless of last year's scoring numbers, this year's numbers show what he can do when he's the main option. Go SEC POY and future All-American Jodie Meeks!

ConwayGamecock
02-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Nobody was ever complaining that Curry was a media darling, or even surprised. I said I was surprised.....

Do you need a moment to compose yourself, kentubby? Take a deep breath.....

kentubbybasketball
02-16-2009, 05:01 PM
You may need reading comprehension... nobody is surprised that Curry is a media darling, I am surprise though by Jodie's lack of attention on the national scale, since he plays for media juggernaut Kentucky. It's really not that hard to understand, that point is as simple, as scoring is to Jodie.

ConwayGamecock
02-16-2009, 05:01 PM
That's not struggled when you're the third backcourt option behind good scorers like Joe Crawford and Ramel Bradley, who were never injured.

Ahh, my bad.....so the reason was Meeks just couldn't advance through UK's depth chart.......well, it IS a surprise then that he wasn't a "media darling".....

:raz:

orange&white
02-16-2009, 05:02 PM
Lol, two 21-point games, against Houston and FIU?? 7 points in 31 minutes against Louisville, 5 points in 25 min. against UF, 13 points in 38 minutes against USC: that's struggling, and I doubt he was too injured in games he plays 30+ minutes in......I think I described it well enough.....

I'll have to side with UK fans here. If you watched Meeks play last year it was clear he was anywhere close to 100% and shouldn't have been playing at all in a lot of those games, much less 38 minutes.

kentubbybasketball
02-16-2009, 05:05 PM
I'll have to side with UK fans here. If you watched Meeks play last year it was clear he was anywhere close to 100% and shouldn't have been playing at all in a lot of those games, much less 38 minutes.

That's right. About this time last year, I remember wondering why we didn't just scrap his season and give him a redshirt, because he basically lost a season, and UK could've gotten two more years out of him. It's water under the bridge now, because Jodie played too high a percentage of games. But, it's amazing what Jodie did even injured last year. It was clearly a harbinger for what was to come, especially healthy and without Bradley and Crawford.

FWIW, we overplayed Derrick Jasper, too and that's likely one of the reasons DJas transferred to UNLV, to heal that injury.

ConwayGamecock
02-16-2009, 05:06 PM
You may need reading comprehension... nobody is surprised that Curry is a media darling, I am surprise though by Jodie's lack of attention on the national scale, since he plays for media juggernaut Kentucky. It's really not that hard to understand, that point is as simple, as scoring is to Jodie.

Well, Curry leads the entire country and he's a media darling, even more so than Jodie, which is unusual, since Jodie plays at Kentucky.

SO, what am I mis-comprehending??? I keep reading it, and I keep seeing the same thing......Meeks playing at Kentucky doesn't automatically award him national prominence.....Curry proved himself in the NCAAT last season, and nothing he's done this season has detracted from it. UK - Meeks or no Meeks - has not, lately.....

kentubbybasketball
02-16-2009, 05:08 PM
Playing at Kentucky does automatically award you national acclaim, especially if you're putting up Jodie's numbers. At the end of the day, casual basketball fans will usually know who UK's players are.

But, honestly, I'm thru discussing this with you, because it's not like Jodie's not getting a buttload of attention anyway. It comes with the gig. He's on everybody's AA list already. He could receive even more due attention, but I'm happy with where he's at. His play is doing the talking.

But, I relinquish the last word to you on that.

ConwayGamecock
02-16-2009, 05:21 PM
I don't really care whether Meeks wins the POY or not......I just like pulling a homer's strings.....

:witch:

SkyAntoine
02-16-2009, 05:27 PM
I don't really care whether Meeks wins the POY or not......I just like pulling a homer's strings.....

:witch:
Who you callin' a homer, Willis?

ConwayGamecock
02-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Who you callin' a homer, Willis?

Who you callin' Willis, Jackson? And judging by his picture in your sig, Stallings has really let himself go....

SkyAntoine
02-16-2009, 05:42 PM
Who you callin' Willis, Jackson? And judging by his picture in your sig, Stallings has really let himself go....

It's really sad what a slide in success can do for some people's appearance. I expect a Nolte-esque mugshot any day.:)

weegeman
02-16-2009, 10:25 PM

Those are huge numbers for someone playing injured. He also blew up in a preseason game, showing us a preview of what to expect when he wasn't in pain.

VandyChuck
02-17-2009, 12:04 PM
You gotta put big boy from Pitt on 1st team AA as well after last night. That dude is an absolute MONSTER and completely schooled Lurch.

weegeman
02-17-2009, 02:07 PM
He ain't bad.

kentubbybasketball
02-17-2009, 02:50 PM
You gotta put big boy from Pitt on 1st team AA as well after last night. That dude is an absolute MONSTER and completely schooled Lurch.

Blair held Thabeet to only 5 points and 4 rebounds (I might have that backwards), but with the season Thabeet is having you gotta keep him on the first team even over Blair IMO. What's ironic though is that Blair may actually be the BE POY favorite after that game, although Thabeet will be on the "higher" AA team IMO. I figure this because UConn has to return this game, but it's at the Peterson Center on Pitt's campus, so Pitt is in the drivers seat for the BE title (yet again). Funny how those things work out.