UK at Vanderbilt, Part Deux [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : UK at Vanderbilt, Part Deux

steelyvan
02-16-2009, 10:17 AM
Isn't this game tomorrow? We need to start our thread.
How is this match-up going to be different?
How is PP's ankle? Will he play?

kentubbybasketball
02-16-2009, 01:29 PM
Vandy was without Ogilvy the first game (and UK had the game in control being up 20 in the middle of the second half)... this time the role could be reversed.

Stallings, please don't cuss out Billy G.

But seriously, I think Meeks may find it harder to get some of the looks he got against Arkansas, although, if Vandy wants to play a zone, I hope Jodie plays the role as zone buster. I think our interior defense really shut Washington down in the last game, and I hope we can do the same against a guy like Ogilvy, who might have a bigger toolbox than Washington but isn't quite as mobile IMO.

weegeman
02-16-2009, 02:23 PM
Any word on Patterson yet? Every game from here on out is huge.

kentubbybasketball
02-16-2009, 02:29 PM
I hear he's still day to day. This is what Matt Jones' site says: "What remains to be seen is how long Jodie will have to do this alone. Patrick Patterson’s ankle is healing well, but his status is still unknown for Tuesday. I have been told that Patterson could likely play on Tuesday if he had to, but there is still a very good chance that he will be rested and then pointed towards the game on Saturday against Tennessee for his return. Both games are contests where Patterson will be needed….to defend Ogilvey in Nashville and the Chism/Smith/Williams pairings in Knoxville. However Vandy does not have the depth at the big man positions that Tennessee does, so missing the Vandy game may be the play. Either way, the healing is going well and the possibility of a long-term absence seems to be diminishing."

Interesting points indeed.

OffThePorch
02-16-2009, 03:38 PM
this should be a good one.. much closer than last season .. imo.

XPS
02-16-2009, 05:54 PM
this should be a good one.. much closer than last season .. imo.

I think its funny, that a Miss St fan is more obsessed with last years blowout than vandy fans are:rotf:

OffThePorch
02-16-2009, 06:00 PM
I think its funny, that a Miss St fan is more obsessed with last years blowout than vandy fans are:rotf:

obsessed.. lol you're funny in a weird way. ive been watching SEC Basketball for 40 years & UK has almost always been much better than the rest... so yeah the Vandy blow out over UK sticks out in my mind. dont let it bother you too much.

SkyAntoine
02-16-2009, 06:00 PM
Glad I'm not obsessed with it. :)

OffThePorch
02-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Glad I'm not obsessed with it. :)

anytime its mentioned xp craps himself. :lol:

govandy0620
02-16-2009, 10:44 PM
UK is really going to have to suck it up for this game to not be closer than 41 points..

I don't know what I think. Part of me wants to say we win at home, but the other part of me thinks we are just going to mail it in. I do however believe that this game is dependent on how Vandy will play. UK will play solid, it is just a matter of if Vandy comes to play or not. Play like we did vs. Ole Miss and we win. Play like we did vs Florida and we get crushed.

jh4uk
02-17-2009, 06:40 AM
i think this will be a very close game. looks like patterson is not going to play so once again meeks is going to have carry the team.

CATS 64

DORES' 62

MEEKS 31

Vandy420
02-17-2009, 08:23 AM
The 1st game was alot closer than KT wants to admit. Yea UK was up by 20 in the 2nd half, but Vandy was up the entire first half before UK made a run to take the lead at the end of the 1st half. UK came out in the 2nd hot and went up big, then Vandy made a run and got it close, then UK held strong and closed it out.

I think Vandy comes out hard in this one. PP not playing would be huge. We hold meeks below 30 IMO.

SkyAntoine
02-17-2009, 08:55 AM
I also think this is a close one. Whether Gillispie wants to admit it or not, we are very one dimensional without Patterson. Players have stepped up at times, but I don't know if it is enough to count on without a 30+ point performance from Meeks.

I have great faith of the guy in my sig to effectively defend Meeks. Our best hope is Meeks gets in a zone like versus Arkansas or the Vols and even with all the coaching stars in alignment the Cat's are unstoppable.

VandyChuck
02-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Coach Billy Gillespie says:

"Vandy by 10"

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z86/bettyrocker_photos/corky.jpg

SkyAntoine
02-17-2009, 11:03 AM
Coach Billy Gillespie says:

"Vandy by 10"

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z86/bettyrocker_photos/corky.jpg

That there ain't rite...:rotf:

steelyvan
02-17-2009, 12:46 PM
i don't really think the 1st game was all that close. UK had Vandy covered big time but relaxed as many teams do in those situations. thus allowing Vandy some points to narrow the gap before closing it out. no AJ in the first game, perhaps no PP in the 2nd. interesting, semi-ironic dynamic.
i think JM scores big tonight but i wonder if it will be enough (it certainly was vs UT). too bad we can't insert Jason Holwerda into our line-up to help slow him down . i also think Porter 3's are critical and he has been hot recently and solid in his overall play.
the critical thing for me is whether there is a toughness to Vandy to defend their home court. they need to establish that but have not really done so this year. good time to start.

OffThePorch
02-17-2009, 12:54 PM
my guess is
UK 77
VU 71
Meeks with 43

Vandy420
02-17-2009, 01:08 PM
We do a good job of defending Meeks, and the 1st game was weird as Vandy was in control for all but the last minute of the 1st half. We came out flat the 2nd half and couldn't hit a open shot if our life depended on it, while UK was hitting anything they threw up. We started getting it together and made a run but couldn't get it done. I think we have started to play a little better at home beating Bama and Ole Miss. This game is a toss up IMO. Depends which team shows up....and either could or neither could.

GR8NESS
02-17-2009, 01:09 PM
VU 75
Ky 70

VandyChuck
02-17-2009, 01:12 PM
If Meeks gets that ball screen at the top of the key by a big, and AJ switches out, in this game at least, he HAS to stay on him and not try and switch back cause Meeks will pull it from ANYWHERE. Make him drive the ball...he's good there too, but I'd rather have him scoring 2's than 3's all night.

If Patterson doesn't play, we just need to hope that Porter/Harris/Miller don't go off and I think we'll be fine. Stevenson will probably have his 10 and 10...

weegeman
02-17-2009, 01:14 PM
My predictions: Meeks gets 28. Cats by 4. Stevenson holds his own. We get great play from Miller.

XPS
02-17-2009, 01:30 PM
We do a good job of defending Meeks, and the 1st game was weird as Vandy was in control for all but the last minute of the 1st half. We came out flat the 2nd half and couldn't hit a open shot if our life depended on it, while UK was hitting anything they threw up. We started getting it together and made a run but couldn't get it done. I think we have started to play a little better at home beating Bama and Ole Miss. This game is a toss up IMO. Depends which team shows up....and either could or neither could.

UK only hit 6-19 from 3, this was actually one of the very few games that UK had less turnovers than the other team...

kentubbybasketball
02-17-2009, 01:58 PM
The 1st game was alot closer than KT wants to admit. Yea UK was up by 20 in the 2nd half, but Vandy was up the entire first half before UK made a run to take the lead at the end of the 1st half. UK came out in the 2nd hot and went up big, then Vandy made a run and got it close, then UK held strong and closed it out.

I think Vandy comes out hard in this one. PP not playing would be huge. We hold meeks below 30 IMO.

Closer than I want to admit. Listen here, bud, I don't care if we're up by 20 or if we're up by 1. As long as we win... be by 20 points or by 1 point.

XPS
02-17-2009, 01:58 PM
VU 75
Ky 70

I really doubt Vandy scoring 75 pts...

kentubbybasketball
02-17-2009, 02:02 PM
i don't really think the 1st game was all that close. UK had Vandy covered big time but relaxed as many teams do in those situations. thus allowing Vandy some points to narrow the gap before closing it out. no AJ in the first game, perhaps no PP in the 2nd. interesting, semi-ironic dynamic.
i think JM scores big tonight but i wonder if it will be enough (it certainly was vs UT). too bad we can't insert Jason Holwerda into our line-up to help slow him down . i also think Porter 3's are critical and he has been hot recently and solid in his overall play.
the critical thing for me is whether there is a toughness to Vandy to defend their home court. they need to establish that but have not really done so this year. good time to start.

Good points, and you've displayed the best knowledge of any non-UK fan this year in terms of how our team has been playing.

But, I will say, I feel like our other guys play better without Patrick honestly... I really do. Perry Stevenson isn't near as active when Pat is in the game. They have the tendency to just "watch Pat," because he's a dynamic player. But, Perry tends to realize he's gotta do more without Pat around, and that's the kind of Perry Stevenson that makes this a dangerous team.

You're head on about Mike Porter. Mike has got to keep shooting those threes, and just getting the ball where it needs to go on offense. His threes are important, because if he knocks them down you gotta guard that shot. Gillispie kind of called Porter out in the media recently saying in paraphrase, "all season long Mike has been saying he's really a shooting guard, well shouldn't a shooting guard actually shoot and make those shots?" Mike took that to heart it seems. Tubby recruited him to be a shooter, and it's nice to see him hit 5 of 6 in the last two games.

kentubbybasketball
02-17-2009, 02:07 PM
If Meeks gets that ball screen at the top of the key by a big, and AJ switches out, in this game at least, he HAS to stay on him and not try and switch back cause Meeks will pull it from ANYWHERE. Make him drive the ball...he's good there too, but I'd rather have him scoring 2's than 3's all night.

If Patterson doesn't play, we just need to hope that Porter/Harris/Miller don't go off and I think we'll be fine. Stevenson will probably have his 10 and 10...

I think you're right. Meeks gets a lot of his threes off of screens from either Perry Stevenson or Patrick Patterson... when the opposing big hedges out, he has to stick with Jodie, but even with that Jodie is crafty enough to dope that big man into a foul (although Ramel Bradley perfected that trick).

I think if you let Jodie just get inside and give him "tough twos," he'll make enough baskets and get enough free throws that he'll make up for his lack of three point shots.

I think ultimately, the best defense on Jodie has been face guarding him honestly. Coaches hate to resort to that, but Miami beat Kentucky doing that.

kentubbybasketball
02-17-2009, 02:08 PM
I really doubt Vandy scoring 75 pts...

The onus is on our interior defense to stop them. I think Perry Stevenson's length could give Ogilvy some trouble. But, I think Vandy could hit 75 tonight. That's not unreasonable to me.

Vandy420
02-17-2009, 02:39 PM
UK only hit 6-19 from 3, this was actually one of the very few games that UK had less turnovers than the other team...

It seemed like alot more, maybe it was just those couple of 3's they hit at the end of the shot clock from way out that made it seem that way.

Vandy420
02-17-2009, 02:41 PM
Closer than I want to admit. Listen here, bud, I don't care if we're up by 20 or if we're up by 1. As long as we win... be by 20 points or by 1 point.

You just come off with the attitude Uk dominated the whole game and the reason it was close in the 2nd half was b/c UK let off the gas. Which is not true, Vandy was up the entire 1st half except for the last minute or acually couple of seconds. Then the 2nd half they went up big, then we made a run. During the run Uk had to stretch it to 20, we were simply missing open shots. We created the shots and got good looks but just missed everything we shot, on the other hand UK hit just about everything they shot during that time.

kentubbybasketball
02-17-2009, 02:50 PM
420, you know me by now, if I wanted to say UK dominated the game, believe you me, I'd say "UK dominated the game." Why would I hide behind comments if that's what I really wanted to say? Because I don't want to maybe make you angry? Try again. LOL

UK was indeed up by 20 points and I felt like the game was well in hand, even though you got it down to 6. UK lost its focus and that happens. Better to do it when you're up 20 than being up only 1.

BTW, I learned a lot about basketball from Coach Tubby Smith, and one thing he always said was "the most insignificant score in a game is the halftime score." Vandy may have been right there the entire first half, but that had no bearings in the second half when you were down 20.

Like you say, UK got up by 20, because we made shots... the only way any team gets up is by making it's own shots. That's a credit to UK. I wasn't trying to offend. Chill.

Vandy420
02-17-2009, 03:36 PM
Oh I'm not offended, no worries.

XPS
02-17-2009, 03:46 PM
Its really simply, IF Meeks gets 30 plus, UK wins. If he don't, Vandy wins...

kentubbybasketball
02-17-2009, 03:52 PM
XPS, I look at it completely different. If Meeks gets his 30, and the rest of the guys only get 20... that's only 50 points. Just like against Florida and Arkansas, it's about the other guys. Meeks' contribution is pretty much written in ink... the other guys' contribution is written in pencil, because it changes from game to game. It's those other guys that need to step and compliment Jodie.

Now, if Jodie gets 40, then it's a completely different story. I'm still trying to decide if Memorial Gym is a shooter's gym or not... we've had guys shoot well there before and times when we didn't shoot well there.

XPS
02-17-2009, 03:54 PM
XPS, I look at it completely different. If Meeks gets his 30, and the rest of the guys only get 20... that's only 50 points. Just like against Florida and Arkansas, it's about the other guys. Meeks' contribution is pretty much written in ink... the other guys' contribution is written in pencil, because it changes from game to game. It's those other guys that need to step and compliment Jodie.

Now, if Jodie gets 40, then it's a completely different story. I'm still trying to decide if Memorial Gym is a shooter's gym or not... we've had guys shoot well there before and times when we didn't shoot well there.

Notice I said 30 PLUS. Vandy is not a high scoring team...

XPS
02-17-2009, 03:56 PM
I can't say much about other fans hyping players, I really believe Orton can be better than Patterson...

kentubbybasketball
02-17-2009, 03:58 PM
Vandy isn't a high scoring team, but entering this past weekend that did have the best defense in terms of much the other team scores among SEC schools... they're holding people to like 64 I believe. I hope Perry Stevenson gives us 15 points or so, because I know he's capable. I'm not concerned about Jodie, as much as the other guys. Granted, if Jodie doesn't have a Jodie Meeks game, we're in dire trouble, but it's gonna be tough to continue to win just hoping Jodie lands 30+ each night.

kentubbybasketball
02-17-2009, 04:00 PM
I can't say much about other fans hyping players, I really believe Orton can be better than Patterson...

I do too.. he's taller and bigger than Patterson. But, what you can't measure is his drive to succeed? Is it anywhere in Patterson's ballpark? That's the main question there.

He's had a tough year with his mom's unfortunate passing and with being injured all senior season, so who knows the frame of mind he comes to college with. Most normal people would bare the scars.

XPS
02-17-2009, 04:00 PM
Vandy isn't a high scoring team, but entering this past weekend that did have the best defense in terms of much the other team scores among SEC schools... they're holding people to like 64 I believe. I hope Perry Stevenson gives us 15 points or so, because I know he's capable. I'm not concerned about Jodie, as much as the other guys. Granted, if Jodie doesn't have a Jodie Meeks game, we're in dire trouble, but it's gonna be tough to continue to win just hoping Jodie lands 30+ each night.

The first team to 67pts wins?

SkyAntoine
02-17-2009, 04:02 PM
I really like the way Darius has regained some confidence down the stretch. I've been impressed since day one with him. Seems very mature for a Freshman. Guess it's the Kentucky boy in him.

XPS
I do too.. he's taller and bigger than Patterson. But, what you can't measure is his drive to succeed? Is it anywhere in Patterson's ballpark? That's the main question there.

He's had a tough year with his mom's unfortunate passing and with being injured all senior season, so who knows the frame of mind he comes to college with. Most normal people would bare the scars.

He has definitely had a rough year, word is he is progressing ahead of schedule. KT I have been kind of disappointed in Pat this year...

kentubbybasketball
Sky, you remember the first play Darius made this season?

XPS
02-17-2009, 04:04 PM
I really like the way Darius has regained some confidence down the stretch. I've been impressed since day one with him. Seems very mature for a Freshman. Guess it's the Kentucky boy in him.

Great point, Daruis can be HUGE. So much talent...

kentubbybasketball
02-17-2009, 04:05 PM
He has definitely had a rough year, word is he is progressing ahead of schedule. KT I have been kind of disappointed in Pat this year...

XPS, I said those same things about Pat a couple of months ago and people acted like I was silly, but I don't even feel like Pat has been going at it full throttle like he did last year, which is backwards because we need him to do that even more this year without Bradford. Pat's been in foul trouble more than I thought he would be, too. I think we can't underestimate having to play with a finger injury though and now his ankle. So, he is nicked up, and I will say his defense has been better this year than I thought... he's proven to be an even better shot blocker than I thought he would be.

Pat is averaging close to 9 boards (and he may be over it), but I've felt like he could do even better than, seeing what Griffin and Gody are doing.

I love Pat as a player, but I voiced some of these same concerns you're voicing now earlier this season. I think more people are starting to see that. And, I think part of that is that Pat is a victim of his own success... he's at worse All-SEC Second Team this year, which isn't bad for your second best player.

With that said, I do feel like Gillispie protects Pat more than anybody on the team, but I gotta say without Pat, we're on the NIT bubble.

XPS
02-17-2009, 04:13 PM
XPS, I said those same things about Pat a couple of months ago and people acted like I was silly, but I don't even feel like Pat has been going at it full throttle like he did last year, which is backwards because we need him to do that even more this year without Bradford.

Pat is averaging close to 9 boards (and he may be over it), but I've felt like he could do even better than, seeing what Griffin and Gody are doing.

I love Pat as a player, but I said months ago that Jodie was clearly our best player. I think more are starting to see that, too.

With that said, I do feel like Gillispie protects Pat more than anybody on the team, but I gotta say without Pat, we're on the NIT bubble.

No doubt Pat keeps UK from the NIT, like you said he doesn't go full speed like last year and I don't understand why...

boxvic
02-17-2009, 04:23 PM
Stupid busy night tonight, so I'll probably miss most of the 1st half.

I think Pat is going easier this year to save himself for the NBA. I really think he's gone at the end of the year.

SkyAntoine
02-17-2009, 04:25 PM
Sky, you remember the first play Darius made this season?

No, but I'm guessing that you do? :rotf:

SkyAntoine
02-17-2009, 04:29 PM
Great point, Daruis can be HUGE. So much talent...

I had an automatic comfort level with Darius when I first saw him play. Never really had that with Liggins or Galloway although they have proved to me they are capable through this season.

Darius fits in the flow of the game well and seldom forces himself into the game like Liggins tries to do. I think he'll be a tremendous role player in the future. Maybe never a 20 ppg go-to guy, but a solid 14 ppg every single night.

boxvic
02-17-2009, 04:38 PM
I'm comfortable with Miller and Galloway on the floor. I don't ever want to see Liggins on the floor again though. People can hate on Porter playing point all they want, but at least Porter is useful when shifted to the 2 spot, Liggins is nothing but a walking turnover waiting to force a bad shot.

XPS
02-17-2009, 04:57 PM
Stupid busy night tonight, so I'll probably miss most of the 1st half.

I think Pat is going easier this year to save himself for the NBA. I really think he's gone at the end of the year.

That doesn't make any sense, he should be playing his heart out to get drafted as high as possible..

OffThePorch
02-17-2009, 05:02 PM
That doesn't make any sense, he should be playing his heart out to get drafted as high as possible..

agreed.
Pat still has good numbers...shows how talented he is.

SkyAntoine
02-17-2009, 05:19 PM
We're talking Patterson here not Randolph Morris. I think PP gives it his all when he's in there. Been psyched since I saw him play with Mayo on ESPN a couple of years ago. He banged on every single possession.

boxvic
02-17-2009, 05:25 PM

He was hurt last year, and he is hurt this year. It makes perfect sense when you don't want to take a major injury and ruin your chances. I'm not knocking him either. I'd do the same thing. I'd rather drop four draft spots and get the contract than blow my ACL this late in the year and be done for forever.

XPS
02-17-2009, 05:27 PM
We're talking Patterson here not Randolph Morris. I think PP gives it his all when he's in there. Been psyched since I saw him play with Mayo on ESPN a couple of years ago. He banged on every single possession.

I love Pat, but he isn't as good as he was last year. Maybe the injury scared him enough to play soft. He needs to develop a good 12 to 15 shot to be a complete player in the NBA, He needs one more year and during the summer, work on his shooting beyond 3 ft from the basket...

VanderbiltPride
02-17-2009, 06:48 PM
I'm not really sure who will win, but I have a feeling it will be a close game (within 5 pts). Our offense is so schizophrenic its hard to know what is going to happen. I like the fact its a home game though.

Tennessee
02-17-2009, 06:52 PM
Go Dores! We need all the help we can get with our schedule down the stretch

wildcat_wizard
02-17-2009, 08:15 PM
Porter hits his first lay-up of the year!!

SkyAntoine
02-17-2009, 08:17 PM
No need to bring up the 41 point loss, Jeannine. Sounds like she's taking an early swipe at Billy Clyde before half-time.

SkyAntoine
02-17-2009, 08:22 PM
This is an ugly game so far. 10-14.

SkyAntoine
02-17-2009, 08:25 PM
Gillispie averaging about 0.7 tpg (technicals per game).

SkyAntoine
02-17-2009, 08:27 PM
Nice airball for Box's favorite player.

SkyAntoine
02-17-2009, 08:37 PM
I think it's safe to say Kentucky and Vandy doesn't like each other.

SkyAntoine
02-17-2009, 08:43 PM
I'm starting a new thread: Is Olvaltine the scum of the Earth?

XPS
02-17-2009, 08:47 PM
I'm starting a new thread: Is Olvaltine the scum of the Earth?

Dam is he out of shape or what?

SkyAntoine
02-17-2009, 08:51 PM
Dam is he out of shape or what?

That was great when Nessler pretty much called him a wuss.

SkyAntoine
02-17-2009, 08:57 PM
Vandy's D on Meeks has been great overall.

SkyAntoine
02-17-2009, 09:00 PM
Jeannine goes with Stallings. What a jerk! He smiled and was polite to her.

XPS
02-17-2009, 09:03 PM
I thought it was funny on the Vandy board, a poster started a thread Refs in UKs back pocket UK shot 8 FT's compared to Vandys 18 LOL...

govandy0620
02-17-2009, 09:05 PM
Jeannine goes with Stallings. What a jerk! He smiled and was polite to her.

I think I read somewhere where Gillespie doesn't like to do halftime interviews?

govandy0620
02-17-2009, 09:06 PM
I think it's safe to say Kentucky and Vandy doesn't like each other.

don't**

WVUfaninKY3
02-17-2009, 09:07 PM
I think I read somewhere where Gillespie doesn't like to do halftime interviews?

Yeah what tipped that off? Surely not "That was a dumb question"

XPS
02-17-2009, 09:07 PM
Vandy's D on Meeks has been great overall.

Taylor has done a great job...

govandy0620
02-17-2009, 09:09 PM
Taylor has done a great job...

I hope that offensive foul doesn't come back to hurt us.

XPS
02-17-2009, 09:11 PM
I hope that offensive foul doesn't come back to hurt us.

Taylor is going to be really good. UK has done really well considering the foul trouble with Miller who is really doing well...

SkyAntoine
02-17-2009, 09:11 PM

Imagine I'm interviewing Elvis at half-time and tell him to be ready because I'm going to make him look like an idiot. Gillispie does interviews like Elvis would in my example.

XPS
02-17-2009, 09:14 PM
I like UK's halfcourt defense so far, they really play hard. Meeks with only 10 pts and 18-8 FT advantage and tied at the half, I'll take it...

govandy0620
02-17-2009, 09:15 PM
I just saw the other thread. No wonder she didn't interview him. He is a d!ck to her.

SkyAntoine
02-17-2009, 09:26 PM
It's becoming obvious that we need Jodie to touch the ball more. Even if he doesn't shoot he gets the D to come out and others can get open.

SECgamecock453
02-17-2009, 09:27 PM
Cmon Vandy!

SkyAntoine
02-17-2009, 09:34 PM
Cmon Vandy!
Cheer from your heart and don't even think about the conference standings. You know you gotta pull for the Cats.

XPS
02-17-2009, 09:34 PM
Vandy might win this game, but you can bet your life they will earn it, UK seems to be turning up the heat defensively...

SECgamecock453
02-17-2009, 09:37 PM
Cheer from your heart and don't even think about the conference standings. You know you gotta pull for the Cats.

If UGA could beat UF, Vandy can beat UK. Don't blow this! We need all the help we can get and we just have to keep winning, won't be easy @ MSU tomorrow night though.

SkyAntoine
02-17-2009, 09:45 PM
Vandy getting every single board...

SkyAntoine
02-17-2009, 09:47 PM
Either we get aholdst of ourselves or this is over. Meeks should touch it every trip.

SkyAntoine
02-17-2009, 09:50 PM
Its over. Down by 16.

govandy0620
02-17-2009, 09:52 PM
Vandy might win this game, but you can bet your life they will earn it, UK seems to be turning up the heat defensively...

LOL spoke too soon. This is the first time this year I have had fun watching a Vandy game. Go Dores baby

XPS
Vandy clearly wants it more than UK does, congrats on the win...

boxvic
For a team as big as we are, we have absolutely no inside presence without Patterson. No rebounder, no inside defender, and no inside scorer.

It didn't hurt against Arkansas because our shots were falling, but tonight its killing us. We can't score from the outside, we can't score from the inside, and we can't stop Vandy from doing whatever they want.

SkyAntoine
02-17-2009, 09:55 PM
Can Vandy blow this?

govandy0620
02-17-2009, 09:59 PM
Can Vandy blow this?

I don't think so. This is so similar to the game at UK (in reverse) its scary.

Djshockley3
02-17-2009, 10:00 PM
UK kills me, I cannot figure them out.

govandy0620
02-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Right now we have Beal and 4 freshmen. Lets see if they can hang on..

boxvic
02-17-2009, 10:04 PM
You know I've heard people say Stewart has the talent to be the best player on the team, he just doesn't have the basketball IQ to use it.

I saw that in this game. He is like Meeks with less range and more height and hops. But he makes too many stupid decisions and stupid fouls to really be a huge difference maker.

GR8NESS
02-17-2009, 10:04 PM
hard to win a game playing 8 on Meeks

govandy0620
02-17-2009, 10:05 PM
You know I've heard people say Stewart has the talent to be the best player on the team, he just doesn't have the basketball IQ to use it.

I saw that in this game. He is like Meeks with less range and more height and hops. But he makes too many stupid decisions and stupid fouls to really be a huge difference maker.

I agree. And after every foul. watch him. He always says "I didn't touch him!" lol

GR8NESS
02-17-2009, 10:06 PM

I can:

UK's name is Jodie Meeks.
Period.

The other 15 players (minus Patterson) and the coaches are all a bunch of p****** and can GTFO as far as I'm concerned

SkyAntoine

You're telling me. We have no flow to our offense. We're living and dying by Meeks right now.

orange&white
How can Kentucky recruit 2 great players, 1 decent player, and a billion awful players?

GR8NESS
02-17-2009, 10:12 PM
How can Kentucky recruit 2 great players, 1 decent player, and a billion awful players?

http://photos4.flickr.com/5307199_d378ef3e44.jpg

and

http://apudgeisasandwich.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/uhoh.jpg

=

http://www.southern-importers.com/images/170_55044_Clown_Face.jpg

SkyAntoine
02-17-2009, 10:14 PM

Our other guys are decent. They just can't play together.

ukfan339
02-17-2009, 10:16 PM
Im done with this freaking team. This team plays like a freaking middle school team and probley can't beat Eastern Kentucky. This year will be a year UK will go to the NIT and when they do I will not watch the games nor will I even look up the scores. I bought tickets to Senior night vs. UGA and guess what, Ive already put them up over at stub hub. Billy needs to get this program back on track, I'm sick of seeing this every damn week, I'm sick of going on other UK boards and seeing UL fans say how suckish this program is and how UK basketball is dead, I'm sick of walking into a quiet Rupp, I'm sick of going to Tennessee, Florida and even Mississippi and hear how bad my Wildcats are. Heck I just came back from New Orleans this week and even if Jodie get 46 points while I'm there I still get rubbed in the face on how UK sucks and how if LSU played them, LSU would kill them. Hell, I was at Lunch in the quarters and a guy with a LSU hat on gave me a napkin and guess what it said, "R.I.P. KENTUCKY BASKETBALL". I kid you not.
I hate it, but guess what? There all freaking right. That is what makes me sick everytime I hear that crap.

GR8NESS
40 free throws for Vandy :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

boxvic

Well, I dunno about Liggins... he has talent, he just doesn't have the know how to be a college PG. He was really really over-rated.

Galloway is good, he just never gets a chance to get into a rythem. He is a PG, but when Gillispie finally puts him in he always tries to play him as a 2 or 3.

The rest of the guys are great role players, they just all fill the same role. Porter is about the only one of them who doesn't play virtually the same position and do the same things; and Porter is playing the wrong position.

orange&white
02-17-2009, 10:17 PM
Our other guys are decent. They just can't play together.

I haven't watched Uk as much as you have, but I've watched Kentucky at least 7 or 8 times and I disagree. I like Stevenson, but after that all the role players suck right now. Miller will be a good player but is just a freshmen, but everyone else is questionable.

govandy0620
02-17-2009, 10:19 PM
Guys, UK is going to be fine. I will be shocked if they don't make it to the NCAAT. Remember, Vandy isn't exactly bad and it is tough to win at Memorial. Ya'll didn't even have PP. You will beat UT, LSU, and UGA to finish 10-6 in the league. No sweat.

OffThePorch
02-17-2009, 10:20 PM
Congrats VANDY!

govandy0620
02-17-2009, 10:23 PM
Congrats VANDY!

Thanks man. I hope we can take this momentum to Gainesville. Boy that would be nice.

GR8NESS
Guys, UK is going to be fine. I will be shocked if they don't make it to the NCAAT. Remember, Vandy isn't exactly bad and it is tough to win at Memorial. Ya'll didn't even have PP. You will beat UT, LSU, and UGA to finish 10-6 in the league. No sweat.

You do realize that UK has now lost 4 of 6, right? the two wins being one on a luck shot against UF at home (mius Hodge), and at Arkansas w/o Fortson.

SkyAntoine
I think I hate losing to Vandy more tha anyone in the conference. Gillispie should never show his face in Memorial ever again.

orange&white
02-17-2009, 10:25 PM

Vandy isn't very good this year at all. I thought Vandy would win with Patterson out, but I actually think the Vols will win at Rupp now. I do think Kentucky will still make the tourney, but just amazed at how bad Porter, Liggins, Harris, Harrelson, and Stewart are on a game to game basis. When you have two players as good as Patterson and Meeks you should be a Top 4 seed at least.

OffThePorch
02-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Thanks man. I hope we can take this momentum to Gainesville. Boy that would be nice.

shut down Calathes & you have a chance. thats tough. good luck!

GatorMan32
02-17-2009, 10:35 PM
congrats Vandy

govandy0620
02-17-2009, 10:46 PM
Vandy isn't very good this year at all. I thought Vandy would win with Patterson out, but I actually think the Vols will win at Rupp now. I do think Kentucky will still make the tourney, but just amazed at how bad Porter, Liggins, Harris, Harrelson, and Stewart are on a game to game basis. When you have two players as good as Patterson and Meeks you should be a Top 4 seed at least.

We'll see. UK is only a half game behind UT and lest we forget, UT got stomped by UK this first time in Knoxville. UK has 3 home games left, and they will be fine. Those guys that played bad tonight will play a lot better in front of their own fans.

And even if Vandy isn't good this year (which we aren't), I stand by what I said in saying that you can't expect UK to win there. I would like to say I saw this win coming for Vandy. We were due a primetime performance like this one.

orange&white
02-17-2009, 10:52 PM
We'll see. UK is only a half game behind UT and lest we forget, UT got stomped by UK this first time in Knoxville. UK has 3 home games left, and they will be fine. Those guys that played bad tonight will play a lot better in front of their own fans.

And even if Vandy isn't good this year (which we aren't), I stand by what I said in saying that you can't expect UK to win there. I would like to say I saw this win coming for Vandy. We were due a primetime performance like this one.

Lest "you" forget, but "we don't", haha. Believe me no UT fan has forgot about that debaccle.That being said, I haven't predicted much from UT this year with how they have played, but I'm going out on a limb and saying UT wins in Rupp Saturday. Of course there is a damn good chance they lose in the Tad Pad tommorrow.

weegeman
02-17-2009, 11:24 PM
Congrats on a fine game by Vandy. I thought it was a poorly coached game by BCG and I'll never understand his substitution methods.

SkyAntoine
02-18-2009, 05:59 AM
Congrats on a fine game by Vandy. I thought it was a poorly coached game by BCG and I'll never understand his substitution methods.
If only we had one of those big-bodied, physical guys from the mid-west to match up inside with Vandy since we got killed on the boards. :think:

Oh, yeah...Gillispie started Harrelson only to never play him again in the whole game. :doh:

He better have hit on Jeannine Edwards or something along those lines for Gillispie to have not played him.

BleedBlue7
02-18-2009, 06:27 AM
Nit Nit Nit Nit Nit Nit Nit Nit Nit Nit Nit Nit Nit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UA37
02-18-2009, 07:09 AM
Congrats on the win Vandy. Tough loss UK. A home win against Tennessee will get you guys back on track.

Thunder Gulch
02-18-2009, 09:57 AM
Meeks showed me as much game last night as in any of his high scoring performances. Vandy's entire defense was designed to deny him the ball, and he still managed to get 26.

Gatorbabe
02-18-2009, 10:08 AM

They seemed to play just fine against the Gators .... :rolleyes:

Vandy420
02-18-2009, 10:33 AM
Taylor did a great job face guarding Meeks for most the game. Drake and Hinkle took care of the other minutes on him. Very good job defensively. UK tried to play physical but were fouling like crazy. There was a couple more that could have been called but weren't (Liggins push off of Tinsley before they called it on tinsley and ogilvy gave the fore arm). Meeks is a great player and in SEC POY and a candidate for national POY. He i a beast.

Without PP UK had no answer for Ogilvy and Ezelli down low. We grabbed a ton mroe rebounds and played very aggressivly. Good game overall. Beal made up for Sat. poor showing. He played great creating steals and easy baskets.

Lance Goulborne is going to be a beast. He went hard to the basket for monster dunks a couple times but couldn't keep them down. He has major ups and will be a force along with Taylor in the SEC for years to come. Wow is all I can say.

Good game overall. Physical, almost got chippy but didn't. Like someone else said, these teams don't like each other.

PP was out, so that obviously hurt UK, but remember Ogilvy and Goulborne were both out the 1st meeting.

VandyChuck
02-18-2009, 10:40 AM
Meeks showed me as much game last night as in any of his high scoring performances. Vandy's entire defense was designed to deny him the ball, and he still managed to get 26.

on 21 shots. JM was 11-37 (29.7 %) from the field against us this year

VandyChuck
02-18-2009, 10:49 AM
Haven't watched it on TV yet, but here are my thoughts from the gym anyways:

We played the toughest we've played all year. Why do we play like babies vs. UT both times, and then proceed to do a 180 vs. UK?

We went to the foul line A LOT, but deserved them. Stewart/Stevenson were being ridiculously physical in the post with AJ all night (off the ball). People have done that to AJ all year and I'm glad to see it finally get called.

Defense on Meeks: WOW...dude still got his average, but he earned it the hard way. He only got 7 points (by my count) on open shots (3 near the end, pull up 12 footer near the beginning, and a layup). Taylor/Hinkle/Beal/Tinsley ALL did a fantastic job in making the other guys beat us.

In keeping with the reoccuring theme of an unheralded UK player going nuts against us, this year's Bobby Perry award goes to AJ Stewart, who had a really good game scoring wise. He turned it over and fouled a little much, but still decent in PP's absence.

Freshmen for VU combine for over 40 points which is the 2nd time in the last week and a half this has happened.

We really benefitted by no PP, no question about it, but if anything, it was justice for us missing AJO and Goulbourne in the first game.

Shame on Vandy fans who sold their tickets. There were more UK fans in there than the last couple of years. Probably 2500 or so. Not good for a national tv game!

kentubbybasketball
02-18-2009, 11:36 AM
Good win for Vandy. I think what's disappointing about this game is that I feel like UK is the better team, but we just got a little ahead of ourselves IMO. I think what hurt UK was the start of the first half. The game is tied at half... we've got the ball first. We proceed to pass the ball one time and Porter takes a three. Never even attempting to get Meeks the ball... from there Vandy just took over and credit goes to them.

Jodie Meeks showed me a lot last night. Looking at the game, you wouldn't have thought he had a great game, but he hit his average, and probably should have had more free throws than the 10 he got. I know that he was tapped on his arm some on some of his shots, but the refs didn't blow the whistle... although on the road you do gotta be about 10 points better than usual to win. Jodie is clearly the best player in the SEC, that's clear given the kind of attention he's getting from Ds. I said last night, the best defense against Jodie has been face guarding him and that's what Taylor did well last night. I don't think the other guys defended Jodie as well... I think Taylor had him flustered enough that when other guys had to guard Jodie he was out of his rhythm already. Credit Taylor for that. I think he had one of the games of his life last night, but I wonder if he's gonna put up that kind of defensive performance every game, because it's easy to get up to play a First Team AA. But, if Taylor plays possessed like that all the time, trying to shut off guys water with that kind of focus, he's gonna be even more fantastic than I think already (and I have high thoughts on him quite frankly).

I like what AJ Stewart and Kevin Galloway gave us last night. Liggins may have been a bit erratic, but this guy is gonna be crazy good in time. Porter's shot wasn't falling last night, so that hurt a bit. Perry Stevenson missed quite a few free throws, which could have changed the game's dynamic. Lots of missed opportunities in a game that was readily-winnable.

Kudos to Vandy for exploiting their size advantage inside, but Jimmy Dykes kept saying that, but what opened that up was Vandy making two threes in the first few possessions of the second half, after only making one the entire first half.

I wonder how things would have been different had Josh Harrellson played, but his lack of rebounding in the first half, hurt us bad, because Vandy had to have like 4 or 5 tipbacks.

Going back to the officiating, I felt like it was similar to how it's been this year,which is to say it's been better than in recent seasons, but I really feel like neither team was really more physical than the other looking at the game, but one team definitely had tremendous foul trouble. I felt like officiating may have caused UK to not be up by as much as we could have been in the first half, but Vandy won that game (refs or not) in the second half... so kudos.

All in all, it's a game UK probably should have expected to lose given the circumstances. It's still frustrating, but at the end of the day, I think we're gonna benefit from getting these extra subs some playing time right now.

BTW, I can promise, Taylor hit an air ball in the first half, and the "air ball" chants were audible in his own arena. I've always liked how our fans show up for road games, especially at Memorial.

BTW, who thinks Goulbourne makes three more threes the rest of the season? LOL

kentubbybasketball
02-18-2009, 11:52 AM
Well, I dunno about Liggins... he has talent, he just doesn't have the know how to be a college PG. He was really really over-rated.

Galloway is good, he just never gets a chance to get into a rythem. He is a PG, but when Gillispie finally puts him in he always tries to play him as a 2 or 3.

The rest of the guys are great role players, they just all fill the same role. Porter is about the only one of them who doesn't play virtually the same position and do the same things; and Porter is playing the wrong position.

I agree. I think Gillispie is at times too obsessed with just getting size... he wants the tallest and best players and then he wants to worry about where to fit them later. I think that's what helped Bill Self win a championship, but at some point you gotta say I'm gonna go out and get a point guard that can get on the same wavelength as me. Part of the issue isn't that Porter, Galloway, or Liggins can't do it (they are all good players and all have helped us win games this year so they arent' awful), but it's hard to tell what Gillispie really wants out of them.

There's almost no rhyme or rhythm to his recruiting, because he says he wants the tallest players, then we play Vandy and a program that's always lacked size for the most part, towers over us.

weegeman
02-18-2009, 11:59 AM
Ovaltine should have been ejected for throat gouging Liggins!!!!

... just kidding.

we could have done without Gold Burg hitting those threes.

Officiating was crap, imo. Lots of ticky tack fouls and then a few no calls when Meeks got fouled down the stretch. How can you call touch fouls all night and then not call fouls with obvious contact? Vandy got some bad calls too.

Gillispie's stubbornness and refusal to play Harrellson hurt us.

Vandy earned it by playing tough at the end.

I would rather lose to any SEC team but Vandy now. And I've never felt that way until this year.

VandyChuck
02-18-2009, 12:32 PM
BTW, who thinks Goulbourne makes three more threes the rest of the season? LOL

I bet he does in the next 2 games. He's a GOOD 3 pt shooter. You must be thinking of Taylor who is not at this point. If Goulbourne starts getting the minutes he earned last night, he'll be a force from behind the arc and above the rim.

orange&white
02-18-2009, 01:04 PM
Haven't watched it on TV yet, but here are my thoughts from the gym anyways:

We played the toughest we've played all year. Why do we play like babies vs. UT both times, and then proceed to do a 180 vs. UK?

We went to the foul line A LOT, but deserved them. Stewart/Stevenson were being ridiculously physical in the post with AJ all night (off the ball). People have done that to AJ all year and I'm glad to see it finally get called.

Defense on Meeks: WOW...dude still got his average, but he earned it the hard way. He only got 7 points (by my count) on open shots (3 near the end, pull up 12 footer near the beginning, and a layup). Taylor/Hinkle/Beal/Tinsley ALL did a fantastic job in making the other guys beat us.

In keeping with the reoccuring theme of an unheralded UK player going nuts against us, this year's Bobby Perry award goes to AJ Stewart, who had a really good game scoring wise. He turned it over and fouled a little much, but still decent in PP's absence.

Freshmen for VU combine for over 40 points which is the 2nd time in the last week and a half this has happened.

We really benefitted by no PP, no question about it, but if anything, it was justice for us missing AJO and Goulbourne in the first game.

Shame on Vandy fans who sold their tickets. There were more UK fans in there than the last couple of years. Probably 2500 or so. Not good for a national tv game!

I would say because you can't guard UT 5 on 1 lol.

OffThePorch
02-18-2009, 01:31 PM
I would say because you can't guard UT 5 on 1 lol.

good point. plus imo BP is the better Coach.

kentubbybasketball
02-18-2009, 01:32 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, Chuck, but Lance had only made 6 threes before last night's game on like 20 or 21 attempts. It's not like he's shooting and making threes threes a game. Heck, he got a third of his three point FGs made just in last night's game. Maybe he is a good shooter, but at this point statistically it's not something that he's proven on a consistent basis, even if he is shooting like 35% or 36% on 24 or 25 three point attempts.

But, the comment on his game was made tongue in cheek, that's why the LOL was inserted at the end.

ConwayGamecock
02-18-2009, 01:32 PM
on 21 shots. JM was 11-37 (29.7 %) from the field against us this year

Meeks didn't struggle.......he was injured. I wonder what injury he had last night.......

darthvaderbilt
02-18-2009, 01:40 PM
This series dominated for so long by Kentucky now has swung Vandy's way with six wins in eight games against the Wildcats, including four straight in Memorial Gym.

Thunder Gulch
02-18-2009, 01:41 PM

There were Kentucky folks in front of me, and I know that the same Vandy fan has owned those seats for 8 years. I'm going to let him have it next week. Two years ago I bet there weren't 500 in blue in the building.

kentubbybasketball
02-18-2009, 01:44 PM
This series dominated for so long by Kentucky now has swung Vandy's way with six wins in eight games against the Wildcats, including four straight in Memorial Gym.

That's one way to look at it, but over the last two years, we've beaten you as many times as you've beaten us, so actually over the last two years UK has split with you as opposed to losing all four games the two years before that.

VandyChuck
02-18-2009, 01:58 PM
That's one way to look at it, but over the last two years, we've beaten you as many times as you've beaten us, so actually over the last two years UK has split with you as opposed to losing all four games the two years before that.

Scoring margin in Vandy wins over last 2 years: 27.0 ppg
Scoring margin in UK wins over last 2 years: 8.0 ppg

kentubbybasketball
02-18-2009, 02:03 PM
Scoring margin in Vandy wins over last 2 years: 27.0 ppg
Scoring margin in UK wins over last 2 years: 8.0 ppg

Yeah, you blew us out by 41 points though. That was just a bizarre night, but the teams have been even the last two years, even down to both losing in the first round of the NCAAT last year and splitting the series. The score ledger doesn't matter... the bottom line is the bottom line, the win or the loss. And, that's more UK's advantage the last two years compared to the last four, which is the time frame darth threw out there.

Congrats on your win last night by the way... that doesn't need to get lost in translation.

SkyAntoine
02-18-2009, 02:06 PM
There were Kentucky folks in front of me, and I know that the same Vandy fan has owned those seats for 8 years. I'm going to let him have it next week. Two years ago I bet there weren't 500 in blue in the building.

I wanted to go to the game pretty bad so I could be one of those obnoxious Kentucky fans witting with all the Vandy fans. Fortunately for both me and you guys, I couldn't find tickets close enough on eBay and watched the disaster unfold on TV.

kentubbybasketball
02-18-2009, 02:07 PM
I'm impressed with how our fans do travel considering.