Darrin Horn or Trent Johnson best first year coach in the SEC thus far? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Darrin Horn or Trent Johnson best first year coach in the SEC thus far?

XPS
02-15-2009, 09:31 AM
I think both have done a fantastic job...

OffThePorch
02-15-2009, 09:45 AM
DH is working with less imo.. prob in the harder side of the league.. so right now its his imo.

fodive
02-15-2009, 10:20 AM
Whoever wins the SEC, since the two teams both have a very good chance at this point. I think both have all but sealed up a tournament bid. Agree with OTP about Horn working with less.

XPS
02-15-2009, 10:23 AM
Whoever wins the SEC, since the two teams both have a very good chance at this point. I think both have all but sealed up a tournament bid. Agree with OTP about Horn working with less.

Overall yes, but Horn has the better player, Downey...

OffThePorch
02-15-2009, 10:41 AM
Overall yes, but Horn has the better player, Downey...

do you have a man crush? LSU has at least 2 players better than Downey.

XPS
02-15-2009, 11:15 AM

LOL, who would that be? Just because you say it, don't make it true...

SECgamecock453
02-15-2009, 11:16 AM
DH is working with less imo.. prob in the harder side of the league.. so right now its his imo.

Exactly what I was going to say, trying to justify the homer vote. And we also sold out the Colonial Arena for the home game vs Georgia, any coach who can do that here is someone special. I realize how bad it looks too, but people are naturally going to stay away when the team sucks and come when they are on fire. We have the biggest bandwagon students, I had never seen a line in the student entrance, then starting for the Ole Miss game the student line was ridiculous.

fodive
02-15-2009, 11:20 AM

Only Meeks and Calathes can make an argument in being better than Downey..

XPS
02-15-2009, 11:23 AM

Exactly and I would take Downey over either one...

OffThePorch
02-15-2009, 12:53 PM

i like Downey... but i dont agree.
even our true freshman Bost has more assist & less turnovers than Downey. as a pg his numbers are average.
If i want a scorer i look for shooting percentage. Thornton & Mitchell both have a higher shooting percentage than Downey.

ASSIST/TURNOVER RATIO (Min. 3.0 assists/game)
## Player-Team Cl G Asst Avg Turn Avg Ratio
---------------------------------------------------------------
1.Jermaine Beal-VU......... JR 23 78 3.4 33 1.4 2.36
2.Bobby Maze-UT............ JR 23 83 3.6 39 1.7 2.13
3.Garrett Temple-LS........ SR 24 96 4.0 46 1.9 2.09
4.Nick Calathes-UF......... SO 24 151 6.3 78 3.3 1.94
5.J.P. Prince-UT........... JR 20 61 3.1 35 1.8 1.74
6.Quantez Robertson-AU..... SR 24 84 3.5 49 2.0 1.71
7.Dee Bost-MS.............. FR 24 106 4.4 62 2.6 1.71
8.Tyler Smith-UT........... JR 23 81 3.5 50 2.2 1.62
9.Zac Swansey-UG........... SO 23 79 3.4 51 2.2 1.55
10.Courtney Fortson-AR...... FR 22 142 6.5 95 4.3 1.49
11.DeWayne Reed-AU.......... JR 24 92 3.8 63 2.6 1.46
12.Devan Downey-SC.......... JR 22 97 4.4 77 3.5 1.26
13.DeAndre Liggins-UK....... FR 23 73 3.2 64 2.8 1.14

OffThePorch
02-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Exactly what I was going to say, trying to justify the homer vote. And we also sold out the Colonial Arena for the home game vs Georgia, any coach who can do that here is someone special. I realize how bad it looks too, but people are naturally going to stay away when the team sucks and come when they are on fire. We have the biggest bandwagon students, I had never seen a line in the student entrance, then starting for the Ole Miss game the student line was ridiculous.

does Horn have a contract in place beyond this season? he has you guys playing very good ball. this wednesdays game sb a good one.

UA37
02-15-2009, 01:43 PM

What about the guy who led the SEC in scoring in conference play last year and who is currently averaging more points than downey and who has led his team to an 8-1 conference record?

UA37
02-15-2009, 01:44 PM
This is just too close to call right now. Both coaches inherited great rosters.

LSUTigers1404
02-15-2009, 03:44 PM
More SC fans post on the hoops forum than LSU fans, so I'll be interested to see where the neutral votes go.

rolling baby
02-16-2009, 10:18 AM
SEC East >>>>> SEC West

Horn by a mile.

OffThePorch
02-16-2009, 11:03 AM
SEC East >>>>> SEC West. Horn by a mile.

that was part of my reason for Horn.... though im not sure the East is that much better. we beat UK at UK but lost to AU. both Coaches have done a good job.

SECgamecock453
02-16-2009, 12:40 PM
that was part of my reason for Horn.... though im not sure the East is that much better. we beat UK at UK but lost to AU. both Coaches have done a good job.

We beat UK at UK and soundly beat Auburn. :cheers:

OffThePorch
02-16-2009, 12:50 PM
We beat UK at UK and soundly beat Auburn. :cheers:

hopefully we will soundly beat AU at home in a few weeks. USC at MSU wednesday night should be a good one. we need the win a lot worse than USC does... make sure your guys know that. :)

Dollar Theater
02-16-2009, 12:52 PM
I love Horn and hope he stays for a very long time, but I voted for Trent Johnson. As of right now. Things could change. I think they're both doing spectacular jobs, but LSU's mauling of South Carolina in January makes it hard for me to justify voting for Horn over Johnson.

OffThePorch
02-16-2009, 01:05 PM
I love Horn and hope he stays for a very long time, but I voted for Trent Johnson. As of right now. Things could change. I think they're both doing spectacular jobs, but LSU's mauling of South Carolina in January makes it hard for me to justify voting for Horn over Johnson.

good point.

UA37
02-16-2009, 01:08 PM
If LSU wins the SEC, TJ will win this. We'll really see how good these coaches are after this year for TJ and after Downey leaves for Horn. These coaches have talent that can make any coach look good. They've still done outstanding jobs so far.

kentubbybasketball
02-16-2009, 02:25 PM
First things first, Trent Johnson is a better coach and more proven IMO. I think based on this year, he should be the SEC's Coach of the Year, so I gotta go with him. 21 wins isn't something you can talk around (among only 4 losses)... they're on pace to lose maybe 3 games in the SEC this year... that's astonishing if you're in your 12th year, let alone your first.

I do think Horn's team has overachieved mightily and that's to his credit.

And, the idea that CTJ is in the weaker division is a good point, but it seems like his lone SEC loss came to a West team, so he's not lost to the SECE yet (granted, he's not faced UF or UK yet), but if he wins those games, I don't see how Horn could be argued.

orange&white
02-16-2009, 02:30 PM
Tough question because LSU is the better team and quite a bit more talented so that favors Horn a bit, but I'm still going to pick the guy who's team is going to win the SEC.

Dollar Theater
02-16-2009, 02:41 PM
I also think it's worth mentioning how awesome it is to have a coach debated in the Coach of the Year discussion. I really didn't think he'd turn things around as quickly as he has.

OffThePorch
02-16-2009, 02:44 PM
I also think it's worth mentioning how awesome it is to have a coach debated in the Coach of the Year discussion. I really didn't think he'd turn things around as quickly as he has.

i think he's good... but we'll know more after Thornton & Mitchell.

kentubbybasketball
02-16-2009, 02:46 PM
Well, it's not like Odom was chopped liver... he just won SEC COY in 2004, five short years ago.

I think what's gonna help Horn is that Downey is coming back next year, to go along with a group of seniors with Archie and Baninilus and Raley Ross. That means next year's two highly-touted freshmen (Ramon Galloway at the point and Lakeem Jackson at the swing position) will have seniors that will show them the ropes (but not only that, Galloway and Jackson will have guys that are seniors that play their position). Horn has the chance to keep this run going if he can get Galloway and Jackson to really listen to those seniors. Often times year 2 is the toughest for a coach, but Horn should be able to avoid that IMO.

Dollar Theater
02-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Odom wasn't a terrible coach but the players never played as hard for him as these guys are playing for Horn. All these games this year that USC has won in the closing seconds would've been losses with Odom. It's just a different mindset now.

kentubbybasketball
02-16-2009, 03:08 PM
I know that. Horn is just exciting. Odom had grown stale, but I was commenting on your idea that you're not used to having a coach in the SEC COY discussion, when only Kentucky, LSU, Vandy, and UT have had a COY since USC last had one.

I think Horn is bringing excitement, and I think if he can keep recruiting how he started out his first full class (2009) he should do enough to keep USC happy for a long while. He plays the way that Odom seemed to always say he wanted to play,but never seemed to have the bodies too... plus, he's gotten the most out of Steed, the second most improved player in the league this year IMO (the first... ironically a guy that Trent Johnson is coaching in Bo Spencer).