Fortson Update Thursday, February 12 [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Fortson Update Thursday, February 12

MissKitty
02-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Fortson's mother, Lorraine, provided a few more details when contacted by The Morning News on Thursday.
"This right here is what might make him a better player, definitely as far as his attitude on the floor," Lorraine Fortson said. "He'll never stop trying to pump up his teammates and be a leader, but he sees he needs to change some things. He understands that.

"Everyone needs to remember, he's just a freshman. He's under a lot of pressure. He came in as the starting point guard right away, as one of the team's leaders, so that's a whole lot of pressure to have on you as a young player."

She said she'd be shocked if her son reacted in a negative way to the suspension, even if he doesn't totally agree with or understand Pelphrey's reasoning.

"I think he might have needed this done to him so he could get a reality check," Fortson said. "Sometimes kids need a reality check. But I guarantee you he'll come out of this a warrior. He'll learn from this."

It appears Fortson won't be out long.
Razorback Central (http://www.nwaonline.net/articles/2009/02/13/razorback_central/021309uabkbfortson.txt)

UA37
02-13-2009, 01:26 PM
good comments from momma. Hopefully for his sake, he'll listen.

SkyAntoine
02-13-2009, 01:53 PM
I heard Pel told him to cut his hair. :pirate:

kentubbybasketball
02-13-2009, 02:51 PM
His mom seems like a classy lady quite frankly based on those comments.

Fatboy
02-13-2009, 03:15 PM
Sounds like he has a good mama.

weegeman
02-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Too bad Alex Legion's Momma wasn't more like her.

kentubbybasketball
02-13-2009, 03:51 PM
weege, I remember Legion's mom saying some similar things though and saying he needed to not be so weak mentally.

OffThePorch
02-13-2009, 04:00 PM
I heard Pel told him to cut his hair. :pirate:

yeah thats it... :lol:

PiggoBitttys
02-17-2009, 12:53 AM
Fortson has been reinstated on the team. Pel had glowing statements about Courtney. Said he wouldn't want any other guard in the nation leading his team. Said Courtney has had a tremendous attitude 90% of the time, almost just like many of our players. But Courtney is our leader and more has to be expected of him because of that.

Maybe this will prove to be a great move, we'll see. I think at this point in this season, anything Pel tries would be fine with me. We can't win to save our souls so might as well try some motivation this way. Tho I'm sure Pel had reason to do it or he wouldn't have.

XPS
02-17-2009, 12:56 AM
Piggo you know the reason Forston was held out of the UK game, Pel still bleeds blue...

PiggoBitttys
02-17-2009, 01:02 AM
Piggo you know the reason Forston was held out of the UK game, Pel still bleeds blue...

Well, we're bleeding red, a lot. I might faint if I bleed much more this year. :)

I tell you what, losing 9 games in the SEC in the first 10 sure puts the Pel to UK rumors away on the Hog forums. Now the stupid posters are saying will Pel survive the offseason. Thankfully, there's not a ton of these idiots, but enough to shake your head at.

I don't think Fortson or Beverley or Weems or anyone would've been able to contain Jodie Meeks the other night.

XPS
02-17-2009, 01:21 AM
Well, we're bleeding red, a lot. I might faint if I bleed much more this year. :)

I tell you what, losing 9 games in the SEC in the first 10 sure puts the Pel to UK rumors away on the Hog forums. Now the stupid posters are saying will Pel survive the offseason. Thankfully, there's not a ton of these idiots, but enough to shake your head at.

I don't think Fortson or Beverley or Weems or anyone would've been able to contain Jodie Meeks the other night.

Piggo, I feel for you hog fans this year and of course i want Pel to do well and Arkansas to do well for the SEC. I can see where fans might get a little nervous, I think beating Okl and Texas sent expectations through the roof...

Extra Point
02-17-2009, 10:06 PM
Pelphrey is in some trouble whether some of our fans wish to believe it or not. Will he be fired soon? Not likely. But there are some things getting ready to hit the fan which will shed a very negative light on Pel and his staff.

This year has been a cluster**** from the start with the abundance of off-the-court transgressions of guys like Fortson, Welsh, Henry, McDonald and Washington. It's going to end badly and not be good for the reputation of those in charge of the program once everything else hits.

Tennessee
02-18-2009, 06:12 AM
I thought the comments by mom were classy, especially in an era when you see too many parents thinking they and their kids are bigger than the program

I thought the comment "even if he didn't understand Pelphrey..." was sort of a backhanded smack at the coach, however...

UA37
02-18-2009, 07:07 AM
Pelphrey is in some trouble whether some of our fans wish to believe it or not. Will he be fired soon? Not likely. But there are some things getting ready to hit the fan which will shed a very negative light on Pel and his staff.

This year has been a cluster**** from the start with the abundance of off-the-court transgressions of guys like Fortson, Welsh, Henry, McDonald and Washington. It's going to end badly and not be good for the reputation of those in charge of the program once everything else hits.

that does not sound good. is this just rumor or is there really something to this?

Extra Point
02-18-2009, 04:08 PM
that does not sound good. is this just rumor or is there really something to this?

Not a rumor on my part. Letters are expected soon.

Extra Point
02-18-2009, 04:10 PM
I thought the comments by mom were classy, especially in an era when you see too many parents thinking they and their kids are bigger than the program

I thought the comment "even if he didn't understand Pelphrey..." was sort of a backhanded smack at the coach, however...

Momma may have said a few right things, but her son who has been suspended twice in less than 7 months has a serious problem with authority and apparently no sense of right and wrong. Bob Knight would have choked his a$$ by now.

SkyAntoine
02-18-2009, 05:05 PM

Wanna trade?

Extra Point
02-19-2009, 02:55 PM
Wanna trade?

No. I want Pelphrey to get rid of his buddy assistants like Ostrom and Brown and hire someone worth a darn. Preferably someone who WILL NOT commit recruiting violations. And IF you cheat, at least get some good players out of it. All they have acquired is the attention of the NCAA.

When players get into fist fights in the locker room, when they cuss out coaches, when they cuss out and threaten white teammates, when they steal stuff out of the campus bookstore, when they cuss out arena security and ask "do you know who I am", when they get in fist fights outside of bars, when they completely stop going to class, etc., etc., etc...I want Pelphrey to do something about it. Three players need their lockers cleaned out as far as I'm concerned. We are ALREADY losing every game, so why the hell is Pelphrey putting up with all this s**t and not getting rid of some of these idiots?

I want Pelphrey to FIX our recruiting (starting with getting rid of the self-proclaimed recruiting expert Ostrom). When 3 of 3 recruits are grade risks, you have a serious problem. The Arkansas basketball program should NOT be treated like sucker at a Vegas roulette wheel. Our 2010 recruiting is shaping up to be worse than 2009 with rarely a mention of our program among recruits in the southeast and southern midwest.

I was willing to give Pelphrey a chance even though he was a .500 coach in the Sunbelt. He is getting or being given EVERYTHING he has asked whether it's a want or need, including nearly $4 million in upgrades to BWA the last two years. However, he is getting a failing grade in assistants, player management and recruiting right now.

Empty seats and declining program donations finally did in Heath. The same is setting up nicely for Pel right now. I have NEVER seen such a lame atmosphere for the UK game. People were streaming out beginning with 12:33 left in the 2nd half. I don't know what the announced attendance was, but there were at least 2,000 empty seats in the lower bowl for a Saturday afternoon game. It's nothing like it used to be during the 28 years with Eddie and Nolan which is the benchmark for fans today. The new AD did pretty well with his first hire for football and fans are confident he could find a huge upgrade for our basketball program as well. Pel's on the clock.

kentubbybasketball
02-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Is Arkansas really cheating though in recruiting?

Some of that stuff is big news if true. I think you do need to realize though it's easier for us as fans to say a coach should cut a player loose. But, the coach knows these player's situations outside of basketball, and maybe the coach feels like he needs to stick by the player longer. We've gotta be slower to judge in other words.

Extra Point
02-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Is Arkansas really cheating though in recruiting?

Some of that stuff is big news if true. I think you do need to realize though it's easier for us as fans to say a coach should cut a player loose. But, the coach knows these player's situations outside of basketball, and maybe the coach feels like he needs to stick by the player longer. We've gotta be slower to judge in other words.

I stand by everything I've said. All been confirmed in my private conversations with 2 current players, professors and non-basketball athletic staff.

Arkansas has had plenty of players in the 70's, 80's and 90's who were not model citizens (haven't we all?). Some were stars, some were not. But NONE of those guys would DARE cuss out coaches or teammates like these current guys (and some of Heath's guys like Ervin and Townes). What do you think Nolan or Eddie would have done with a guy who told him to eff off to his face? You think they would still be on the team?

There's a difference with these guys. 100% defiance of ALL authority, including the head coach, athletic director, professors, local authorities, etc. For God's sake...these guys have been allowed to do whatever they wish and look what has happened to this team!!!! This is directly from people inside the program, not assumptions from a bunch of out of shape guys on the internet. I don't care WHO you are...there has to be a line you cannot cross. Three current players have gone WAY past that line and should not be allowed back.

kentubbybasketball
02-19-2009, 03:25 PM
Who cussed out the coaches? ANd, who are the guys that are bullying white teammates?

Extra Point
02-19-2009, 03:41 PM
Who cussed out the coaches? ANd, who are the guys that are bullying white teammates?

Fortson and Welsh, the same two guys who got into a fist fight in the locker room not long ago.

kentubbybasketball
02-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Fortson and Welsh for both questions?

Extra Point
02-19-2009, 03:48 PM
Fortson and Welsh for both questions?

Fortson has been suspended for stealing stuff he could have acquired from that athletic department for free. He's cussed out coaches and teammates. He's been in fist fights outside nightclubs AND in the locker room. Welsh cussed out arena security when they played in Little Rock. He HATES some of his white teammates and let's them know about it. He was on the other side of the locker room fist fight AND he has cussed out coaches. I think I've hit the highlights here although this is not a complete list.

Both should be gone IMO.

kentubbybasketball
02-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Well, Welsh did sign on to play for a black coach. jk

Seriously though, it makes me wonder how true all of that is... I'd be shocked that Pel took crap from players... but who knows?

Doyle Hargraves
02-19-2009, 09:30 PM
Well, Welsh did sign on to play for a black coach. jk

Seriously though, it makes me wonder how true all of that is... I'd be shocked that Pel took crap from players... but who knows?

It's all true. EP has more of the details than I've been privy to, but I've basically heard the exact same thing. All is not well in the AR basketball program. I hate to say it, but I don't think Pel was ready to step up to the "big leagues".

OffThePorch
02-19-2009, 09:40 PM
whats Nolan up to?

really i feel your pain.

PiggoBitttys
02-19-2009, 10:13 PM
I try to stay away from the message board drama. There are many sides to every story and I know I don't possibly know every one. Neither does any other poster in this thread.

My side of the story is Pelphrey is replacing more players than probably any other team in Arkansas history.

When's the last team any SEC team lost 9 players off a roster in one year, or even had 6 seniors like we did? We were picked last in the west, this is not a surprise. Pelphrey is in year 2. IMO, any coach should get 4 years before the word canned is ever thought of.

I care about winning and losing and Pelphrey will be judged on that in time. What I don't care about is hearsay, especially when told to me by someone on an internet message board. Anyone that takes to the bank what they hear on an internet message board by an anonymous user they don't know is not using their brain.

I come to enjoy the Hogs, if someone else wants to rumormonger or talk about the latest conspiracy or gossip or scandal in the U of A athletic department, be my guest. Just don't expect me to cry the sky is falling or pat you on the back when it's announced every few months.

Funny it always seems to come out when a team isn't winning either. Don't hear about too many scandals from a team's own fans when they're winning 75% of their games. If they're losing though, watch out. Maybe we'll find out who shot JR...and who killed Biggie. Chances are, they could be Razorbacks.

PS: I enjoy all the Hog fans who have posted in this thread, I just want to show another perspective on the situation from a Hog fan and try to make sure other SEC fans don't take a couple of Hog fans' opinions to the bank without thinking.

kentubbybasketball
02-20-2009, 03:17 PM
Piggo, I think you can discuss firing a coach after 3 years if you've got a great coach waiting in the wings. UNC fired Doherty quickly, but they had Roy Williams on call too... I don't think anybody regrets that decision at UNC.

Now, Arkansas doesn't have that kind of coach waiting, because they don't come much better than Roy, but still, it's not farfetched... with that said Pel shouldn't be fired after this year and it is quick to be bringing that up.

hawgwild
02-20-2009, 06:37 PM
There also unfounded rumors of a "highly respected coach" interested in the job if it opens. Most think its Jamie Dixon, but i dont know how much i believe of all the rumors swirling.

PiggoBitttys
02-20-2009, 09:34 PM
I'm sure Jaime Dixon would've been given a call the last time we needed a coach. I doubt after getting his team to a top 5 ranking in the nation in one of the best basketball conferences in the country, he would change his mind in the middle of one of his most successful years.

The grass is always greener on the other side so they say (or many fans think). I remember Nolan having some pretty bad years starting up too. I don't think he ever had to replace 9 players either. I'm not saying Pel should be given a lifetime contract. But I'm saying the dogs chomping at the bit should be muzzled for a while.

hawgwild
02-20-2009, 10:10 PM
ohh, i agree. I hope pel gets things turned around here. Not sure it was 9, but Nolan had to replace a lot of spots after the championship loss in 95, might of been 7 or 8. If we beat oklahoma(still their only loss) and texas, we probably wouldnt be hearing much of this right now.