Varnado on Mitchell: ‘He’s probably the SEC Player of the Year’ [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Varnado on Mitchell: ‘He’s probably the SEC Player of the Year’

Fatboy
02-12-2009, 09:57 PM
I have to agree with Nardo on this. Thoughts?
http://www.starkvilledailynews.com/content/view/123852/92/

Varnado on Mitchell: ‘He’s probably the SEC Player of the Year’
Thursday, 12 February 2009
By AARON SEIDLITZ
Starkville Daily News

What may be focused upon as quite a tandem, Mississippi State came away from Wednesday’s game thinking that LSU is much more than just Tasmin Mitchell and Marcus Thornton.
Those two gain most of the notoriety and the attention – and after Thornton had 31 against State at LSU earlier this year and Mitchell had 41 this time around – it’s easy to see why.
But MSU guard Barry Stewart felt as though it took a complete LSU team to provide the opportunities that Thornton and Mitchell ended up with.
“Them two, they’re some good players, and what makes them even better is their team” Stewart said. “They’re a true team, they know their players and their go-to players. Then they get them the ball.”
That was the case for 15 Mitchell field-goal attempts. He made 12 of those, made both 3-point attempts and made 15-of-18 from the free-throw line.
The result was another mention for SEC Player of the Year.
After the last time these two teams met it was Thornton being mentioned, but this time it was Mitchell.
“He’s just a smart player,” MSU center Jarvis Varnado said. “He knows how to use his body to score.
“I think right now, he’s probably the SEC Player of the Year because he’s just such a smart player.”
In this game, State tightened up on Thornton – who leads the Tigers with 20 points averaged per game.
In this double-overtime game he had 19 to go along with 10 rebounds. He did turn the ball over six times, however.
There was a noticeable difference to LSU coach Trent Johnson in regards to the energy MSU defended Thornton with. He said the Bulldogs wore his shooting guard down.
“They were just physical with him, really physical and they put him on the floor a couple times,” Johnson said. “Marcus is a really good basketball player, and sometimes when he doesn’t have 20 points in 20 minutes you realize that you’re getting spoiled.

State’s rotation showcases Benock

In the minutes that mattered down the stretch – at the end of regulation and throughout the two overtimes – back up guard Riley Benock was on the court.
On the bench, however, was State’s leading scorer Ravern Johnson.
Johnson played 16 minutes in the second half and 14 in the first half, but it was Benock who collected 24 minutes – mostly when the game was in its later stages.
Part of the reason for that, Stansbury explained, was because of how LSU defended Johnson. The guard finished with five points on 2-of-6 shooting and 1-for-4 from 3-point distance.
“He had Tasmin Mitchell up into him,” Stansbury said. “Give them credit for getting up into him and taking his shot away.”

Miscellaneous numbers

There were some numbers to behold from this contest.
The two teams combined for 57 personal fouls, which led to 61 free throws.
Of the 102 rebounds, State collected 50 and LSU had 52. There were 32 turnovers in the game, of which the Tigers had 21.
19 blocks were produced, and the nation’s leader in that category, Varnado, had a game-high six.
In it right to the very end, State only shot 31.2 percent in the game and only 20.8 percent from 3.

UA37
02-13-2009, 08:35 AM
Mitchell is very impressive. It's nice to see him come back from his injury and play this well.

Fatboy
02-13-2009, 10:24 AM
Do any of you UK fans agree? I only ask because Meeks has been the front runner, but I think Mitchell has been playing lights out.

MKAU
02-13-2009, 10:48 AM
41 points in the biggest game of the year for both teams? That's a helluva statement he made.

MSUado
02-13-2009, 11:59 AM
I can only wonder if Varnado would have had that many if he didn't foul out. I think we would have won with Varnado in the game for the overtimes.

Mitchell is a freakin beast though.

SkyAntoine
02-13-2009, 12:13 PM
Do any of you UK fans agree? I only ask because Meeks has been the front runner, but I think Mitchell has been playing lights out.

I think it totally depends on how UK finishes. Right now I could give it to Mitchell because his performance has been so key to the season. But, it's going to be hard to argue against Meeks if UK wins the SEC regular season or Tourney and he's still top 5 in ppg in the nation. Not saying any of that will happen.

If UK is average, then it can't be Meeks.

OffThePorch
02-13-2009, 12:18 PM
I think it totally depends on how UK finishes. Right now I could give it to Mitchell because his performance has been so key to the season. But, it's going to be hard to argue against Meeks if UK wins the SEC regular season or Tourney and he's still top 5 in ppg in the nation. Not saying any of that will happen.If UK is average, then it can't be Meeks.

yeah but think UK without Meeks.. not pretty at all.
like you said it depends on the finish.

kentubbybasketball
02-13-2009, 03:42 PM

I think I'd favor Thornton over Mitchell personally. I think both are candidates, but I'd put Mitchell on the All-SEC Second Team even, behind Meeks, Calathes, Downey, Thornton, and Varnado.

As for Jodie, I feel like he might get the award based on his own name recognition, and program recognition. Everybody knows about Jodie's 54 point night... whereas Mitchell's game was dark, and many people that night were focused on Duke-UNC. Jodie is one of the 10 most recognizable players in college basketball this year, and that perception is tough to overcome at times.

I don't think Mitchell has stuck out enough this season to warrant SEC POY over some of the more probable candidates IMO.