Top Ten Coaches in the NCAA [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten Coaches in the NCAA

kentubbybasketball
02-12-2009, 06:04 PM
No SEC coach makes it. What do you guys think... nice to see Coach Tubby Smith on the list.

http://mvn.com/outsider/2009/02/ncaa-top-10-best-coaches-in-college-basketball.html

GatorMan32
02-12-2009, 06:21 PM
That list sounds like it puts the most emphasis on this one year. Buzz Williams? K only at 5? Just two examples of why thats a bad list.

GDawg88
02-12-2009, 06:36 PM
Agree with all of GM's points.

Also, where is Bill Self? National championship last year and 19-4 this year after losing virtually his entire roster.

XPS
02-12-2009, 08:32 PM
LOL@ that list. Buzz, Few and Capel makes it laughable at best...

Storm
02-12-2009, 08:40 PM
it could be a list of best coaches who have grey hair but if it had Tubby on it, i have a feeling it would make it's way on to this site......LOL

Dawg
02-12-2009, 09:25 PM
I agree that Tubby Smith should be on there. He's done nothing but succeed everywhere he's gone.

georgiaguy31015
02-12-2009, 09:53 PM
No Billy D or Bill Self? I believe this list is only including this year and I'm still not sure it got that right.

kentubbybasketball
02-13-2009, 03:27 PM
That list sounds like it puts the most emphasis on this one year. Buzz Williams? K only at 5? Just two examples of why thats a bad list.

I think it's very clear that's exactly what they are doing... it seems like a mixture of this year's success and career achievement.

kentubbybasketball
02-13-2009, 03:29 PM
I agree that Tubby Smith should be on there. He's done nothing but succeed everywhere he's gone.

Yeah, this year he should join Lefty Drissell, Rick Pitino, Lon Kruger and a few others as teh only coaches to take 4 different programs to the NCAAT. Rick Pitino said it best, Tubby just knows how to coach.

Minnesota basketball just isn't used to this kind of attention... but I guess if you go out and get one of the 4 best coaches in the country to head your program it's bound to happen.

Go Tubby !

UA37
02-13-2009, 03:43 PM
looks similar to Bama's coaching candidate list

GatorMan32
02-13-2009, 04:45 PM
Not sure they are factoring career success very much at all. You coach to raise the trophy at the end. Donovan has done it twice. Certainly puts him in the top 10. He is also amongst the youngest to the various win milestones he has passed. Behind only Knight I believe.

Billy's principles in recruiting have slowed the turnaround process here and I think thats influenced this list and his snub. He has no interest in one and done guys. Schools like Memphis will take the quick fix. It helps get you right back the next year after losing Rose when you get Evans. When you lose a bunch of lottery picks, you either take some one and dones or you build the old fashion way. One is flashier and faster. I am fine with Donovan's chosen path.

PS Tubby is not one of the top 4 coaches. I am fine with top 10 but top 4? Not buying that.

kentubbybasketball
02-13-2009, 04:48 PM
I am sure you are fine with your coach's chosen path... for the most part it's worked for him, but you mention Memphis, and Cal's chosen path is working as well... afterall he is on the list.

And, it seems like with Jimmy B on the list and the comments on Coach K, it seems like they are looking at more than just this year.

I'm glad that the people at this list look beyond just national titles though, Ben Howland may be the best coach in the nation.

As for Tubby, GM32, we're not gonna agree on that, but that's what's great about having opinions (you're allowed one and I am too).

SkyAntoine
02-13-2009, 04:54 PM
No Gillispie?

j/k

kentubbybasketball
02-13-2009, 04:57 PM
Gillispie is a very fine coach IMO. I know it's a joke, but Gillispie should get some things accomplished. Plenty of coaches have shown you can win if you simply recruit good enough, even if you have very little tactical ability, and Gillispie's barrell isn't completely empty there anyway.

OffThePorch
02-13-2009, 05:04 PM
everyone has an opinion.