Kobe Bryant: Barcelona fan... [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Bryant: Barcelona fan...

2008 National Champions
02-10-2009, 07:09 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/i/mag/2009issues/0209/crush_kobe.jpg

KOBE BRYANT
Lakers Guard/FC Barcelona Fan

ROOTS
Growing up in Italy, I followed soccer religiously. I'd go to the park to play basketball, but there were mini goals under the baskets, so I'd end up playing soccer with the other kids first. I became a Barça fan a few years ago, when Ronaldinho was there. I watched him when I was in Rome in 2005, and he was doing stuff I'd never seen before.

PLUGGED IN
Pau Gasol grew up in Barcelona, so he keeps me in the loop. I follow games on the Internet, and even when we don't have time to watch, we talk about the team. Sasha Vujacic likes Madrid, so that leads to a lot of smack-talk in the locker room.

THE GOODS
I have a great jersey collection; Leo Messi threw his to me in the stands at the Olympics. I also have signed soccer balls from Pelé for my kids and a picture with Diego Maradona.

WORLDVIEW
I just enjoy the game and its influence. If you look at European basketball players who grew up playing soccer, they see our game differently—the angles, the cuts. I enjoy watching that.

SCfan804
02-10-2009, 08:36 PM
I saw this feature on ESPN Soccernet the other day. Pretty cool. I remember they did a feature on it at the Olympics last summer and mentioned Kobe was a big fan of Messi.

Storm
02-10-2009, 09:10 PM
no surprise, i hear Spanish girls are easy

Djshockley3
02-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Is this a good or a bad thing, him being a Barcelona fan?

2008 National Champions
02-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Is this a good or a bad thing, him being a Barcelona fan?

It is what it is, I guess. Barcelona are like the New York Yankees of soccer, the richest club in the world and one of the most successful. If that bothers ya then I guess it's a bad thing. :)

SCfan804
02-10-2009, 10:09 PM
The thing about soccer is that there are a lot of clubs that are "The Yankees". There's no salary cap in soccer whatsoever, no "royalty" payments. Real Madrid, Barcelona, Chelsea, Manchester City, Manchester United, AC Milan, and a couple others have lavish amounts of cash to throw around. The difference is in results- Barcelona, Manchester United, and Milan have a lot of titles to show for their efforts. Chelsea, Manchester City, & Real Madrid spend a ton of money but don't win anything (at least not recently).

Kinda cool that 3 of the Laker players all follow the beautiful game and talk about it.

Djshockley3
02-10-2009, 10:25 PM
The thing about soccer is that there are a lot of clubs that are "The Yankees". There's no salary cap in soccer whatsoever, no "royalty" payments. Real Madrid, Barcelona, Chelsea, Manchester City, Manchester United, AC Milan, and a couple others have lavish amounts of cash to throw around. The difference is in results- Barcelona, Manchester United, and Milan have a lot of titles to show for their efforts. Chelsea, Manchester City, & Real Madrid spend a ton of money but don't win anything (at least not recently).

Kinda cool that 3 of the Laker players all follow the beautiful game and talk about it.

Which 3? Kobe, Pau and Sasha??

SCfan804
02-10-2009, 10:31 PM
Yeah... Kobe and Pau are Barca fans. Sasha is a Madrid fan (their arch rival)