Izzo To Bama? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Izzo To Bama?

thethird
02-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Some dude from Tuscaloosa called into Finebaum today and claims Tom Izzo will be the next head coach at Alabama. That would be a great hire but I have no idea how much truth there is to the claim.

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Izzo has turned down plenty of NBA jobs before... I just wouldn't get my hopes up. I did hear that Izzo would have been interested in Kentucky had we actually called, which is what I wanted, because Izzo is a guy that runs his program similar to Tubby.

Izzo to me is one of the five best coaches in the nation: Izzo, Tubby, Pitino, Coach K, and Ben Howland. I'd hate to have to play against him, because he's one of my favorite coaches alltime. Honestly, I just dont' see what would spark him about Bama to leave Michigan State after 25 years.

Izzo would be automatically the best coach in the SEC, and to me it would only make sense for him to come to Kentucky then if he just had to coach in this league.

GatorMan32
02-09-2009, 03:03 PM
doesnt Howland have to beat Donovan to be better :raz:

seriously, no way this happens.

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2009, 03:05 PM
doesnt Howland have to beat Donovan to be better :raz:

seriously, no way this happens.

Yeah, you do eventually have to beat somebody to say he's better. But, with Howland I just think his teams are the most disciplined in the nation, which makes his 5A on my list over 5B, Roy Williams.

Billy Donovan isn't too far behind FWIW. I know he's won back to back national championships, but I still find myself wanting to see him overachieve on a consistent basis with some of his "non-Final Four teams," if that makes sense.

But, Billy D is the only coach to play, assistant coach, and head coach in the final four... that says something about his ability.

GatorMan32
02-09-2009, 03:08 PM
i was just messing around. i think Howland is a great coach.

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Yeah, I know.. you're a UCLA fan somewhat anyway.

GatorMan32
02-09-2009, 03:09 PM
yep. unless they are playing UF, i root for them.

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2009, 03:13 PM
I was thoroughly impressed with UCLA vs Notre Dame on Saturday BTW. It was the first time I've been able to really watch UCLA and analyze their play. Defensively, Howland's teams are amazing. He reduce Luke Harangody to 5 points... and he was 4th in scoring in the country coming in. I also feel like UCLA runs well in transition and it's not something you'd readily associate with Howland team's. Also, I loved the dual PG look of Collison and Holiday. When things got testy late in the shot clock (which wasn't often), those two could rely on the other to make a play... and the guards just keep coming in droves off the bench.

I also think Aboya is a better midrange shooter than he has ever shown (obviously there's more of a need for him to shine with mbah a moute and Love). I do think the lack of a great post player may cost them before the final four this year though.

LSUTigers1404
02-09-2009, 03:16 PM
No offense to Bama, but why leave a program like Michigan State to go coach somewhere where basketball isn't exactly a top priority? Like Kentubby said, if he does come to the SEC at some point, Kentucky would make the most sense. They are the only SEC program that places hoops first.

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2009, 03:19 PM
I think Kentucky and Florida would represent a lateral step for him. Unless, Izzo just wants a change and a new challenge, Bama is a step down and it just doesn't seem attractive. We gotta remember, Izzo loves the East Lansing community, loves going out to the grocery and stuff to see people from around town. Plus, he's been there 25 years... deep roots.

I think Bama needs to zero in on one guy mainly... JOHN CALIPARI. At first I didn't think he'd interested, but the more I think about it, at least make him say "no." Demarcus Cousins could possibly come with him, just like Mike Davis, but Cal would be a splashier hire. I think ultimately Cal likes where he's at, but at least make him say "no," but just be realistic about the job and what you have to offer.

UA37
02-09-2009, 03:26 PM
http://thetidetimes.blogspot.com/2009/02/breaking-news-tom-izzo-accepting.html

Here's the link from the source

Nick Saban is the connection. I don't really buy it mysef, but that Saban guy is a helluva recruiter.

GatorMan32
02-09-2009, 03:27 PM
John C makes the most sense for Bama and IMO is realistic.

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Izzo is well-known to love his football, but I don't see Saban having that kind of pull over Izzo. Furthermore, I don't doubt Bama would have interest, but I don't think Izzo would really even accept that job right now.

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2009, 03:29 PM
John C makes the most sense for Bama and IMO is realistic.

Of all the elite guys getting mentioned (Tubby, Izzo, Cal, and Knight)... Cal and Knight make the most sense... and in a way Knights makes more sense than Cal to me. It would be a fertile recruiting ground (but that why Knight likes UGA I'd imagine), plus its in the SECW.

Cal would be giving up a lot to go to Bama, but he'd win there.

UA37
02-09-2009, 03:32 PM
It's NOT going to be Knight. You can rule him out for Bama. We're after a sitting proven championship coach.

GatorMan32
02-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Knight doesnt have it any more IMO and would be a mistake for either program. Not worth the publicity stunt to set the program further off schedule. Tubby makes some sense to me too.

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2009, 03:34 PM
I think when Tubby, Izzo, and Calipari turn you down though, Bama is gonna have to weight

A) do we go after the splash hire of Bobby Knight, or
B) after a guy like Anderson that is solid and doing well at Missouri this year with AL connections.

I don't think the choice of Anderson is gonna be as easy as you're making it out to be.

And consider this, I have nothing to back this up, but I wonder if Calipari has that itch to try the NBA again. That Nets didn't work out, and for him the only step up would almost have to be going to the NBA if he left Memphis.

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Knight doesnt have it any more IMO and would be a mistake for either program. Not worth the publicity stunt to set the program further off schedule. Tubby makes some sense to me too.

Oh, I certainly agree, but some AD is gonna be the one to take a flyer on Knight, considering he's only 98 wins away from 1000... lots of ADs would love for Knight to get that milestone win at that school. But, I"m right there with you. I think Texas Tech was a tough recruiting sell anyway though. In Bama, he wouldn't have Texas and TAMU and Baylor to share recruits with. He'd get some decent talent and he'd win because he knows the game like the back of his hand. I just don't think he'd be worth it either.

But, you know I gotta ask, why does Tubby make sense to you? It seems like he left the SEC in the rearview mirror.

GatorMan32
02-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Oh, I certainly agree, but some AD is gonna be the one to take a flyer on Knight, considering he's only 98 wins away from 1000... lots of ADs would love for Knight to get that milestone win at that school. But, I"m right there with you. I think Texas Tech was a tough recruiting sell anyway though. In Bama, he wouldn't have Texas and TAMU and Baylor to share recruits with. He'd get some decent talent and he'd win because he knows the game like the back of his hand. I just don't think he'd be worth it either.

But, you know I gotta ask, why does Tubby make sense to you? It seems like he left the SEC in the rearview mirror.

He knows the SEC. He has succeeded in the SEC and he has recruiting contacts in the region. He is also going to run a program the right way.

I also dont think Minn could keep up with Bama money wise and its not like you'd be trying to get him from am elite program ala Memphis or MSU.

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2009, 03:42 PM
I think Minnesota not being an elite program is what Tubby likes though. Donna, his wife, said she loves the fact that he doesn't have a "front page of the newspaper" job anywhere. Been there, done that.

I think Tubby's tremendous success in the SEC might also keep him away. I think he wants a different challegne, and building Minnesota certainly has been that. They love the Twin Cities up there. I'm keeping in touch.

GatorMan32
02-09-2009, 03:44 PM
could be right on the money. dont know. if so, Bama might not be able to skip a step and would have to go hire someone up and coming.

UA37
02-09-2009, 03:44 PM
I think when Tubby, Izzo, and Calipari turn you down though, Bama is gonna have to weight

A) do we go after the splash hire of Bobby Knight, or
B) after a guy like Anderson that is solid and doing well at Missouri this year with AL connections.

I don't think the choice of Anderson is gonna be as easy as you're making it out to be.

And consider this, I have nothing to back this up, but I wonder if Calipari has that itch to try the NBA again. That Nets didn't work out, and for him the only step up would almost have to be going to the NBA if he left Memphis.

Mike A will get the job if none of the elite coaches bite. We'll give him a nice pay raise and he'll be able to come home. Some elite coaches will have to tell us no tho. Don't underestimate CM Newton. He's playing a large role in this search. So is $$$.

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2009, 03:45 PM
What about an exiled NBA coach? Like Sam Mitchell or something. I've heard some college hoops fans mentioning his name for openings.

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2009, 03:47 PM
Mike A will get the job if none of the elite coaches bite. We'll give him a nice pay raise and he'll be able to come home. Some elite coaches will have to tell us no tho. Don't underestimate CM Newton. He's playing a large role in this search. So is $$$.

Would I underestime CM? Remember he brought Pitino and Tubby here to Kentucky. And, that CM Newton thing may help Bama a lot, since he's done business with Tubby before.

I do think Mike Anderson would take the job, and I think he'd be a good hire. It would not be as great a news conference, but he'd get the job done effectively. Right now with the hirings of Pearl, Horn, and Pel... the SEC is going toward hiring more coaches that play Anderson's preferred style anyway.

I could see Bama going with Knight though, because of his "name." I really can. He'd be more like a bandage and not a longterm fix like Anderson though.

UA37
02-09-2009, 03:58 PM
If they go with Knight, it would be against everything they've said so far.

CECIL HURT: Basketball looking for top recruit, too

Published: Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 6:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Tuesday, February 3, 2009 at 11:46 p.m.
At one end of the University of Alabama’s athletic complex, today marks the end of recruiting. Nick Saban’s work in that area for 2009 has been done. If he wants, late in the day, he can relax, light up a Cohiba and celebrate. More likely, he’ll want to get to work — actually, make that he’ll want to continue working — on the Crimson Tide’s 2010 class.

While one recruiting effort winds down, though, there is another important recruiting job that’s under way. Dave Hart, Alabama’s executive athletic director, is in charge of that one. He’s not seeking 25 or 30 signatures, just one. But on Tuesday, Hart indicated that his efforts to secure a new men’s basketball coach for the Crimson Tide would resemble Saban’s football recruiting efforts in one important way.

He’s looking for a five-star recruit.

That’s one reason why Hart is proceeding quietly. Unlike the 18-year-old athletes looking for a place to play, most established head coaches already get plenty of attention. It takes a combination of a strong incentive package and a stealthy approach to pull off the sort of hire that Hart and his superiors, Mal Moore and Robert Witt, want to make. That’s why there has been no official acknowledgement of the various rumors that have already surfaced concerning the search for Mark Gottfried’s replacement.

“Confidentiality is critically important. And the higher you reach, the more important it is,” Hart said Tuesday.

“If you are reaching for the elite coaches, they are usually happy where they are. You don’t want to put them in a position where they have to answer questions about why they don’t like it where they are. I’ve seen blown searches. It can get ugly. You can lose good candidates. I’ve seen that happen.

“If you are going to reach up to the elite level — which we want to do — then those coaches don’t want to be told that ‘you are one of three or four candidates we are looking at.’ You begin with a narrowly targeted search, with the understanding that there’s a small pool of elite coaches. Then there is a pool of outstanding coaches, coaches that you would assess as ‘rising stars.’ So it is a small group of candidates that we are assessing.”

There was a special emphasis on two words in Hart’s statement — “elite,” which should be encouraging to Alabama fans, and “confidential.”

The desire to keep all cards held tightly against the vest is one reason that Alabama will not use any outside search firm in this instance.

“We’ve informed all the search firms that we will not be using their services,” Hart said. “I’ve gotten calls from about six firms — I thought I knew them all but there are a couple of new ones — but we have been able to reiterate that we will not use a firm. We have the resources and the expertise to proceed without one.”

That doesn’t mean that Hart and Moore won’t receive expert advice. It’s just that the advice will come from trusted sources.

“We’re blessed that we have great resources,” Hart said. “It’s no secret that (former UA basketball coach and Kentucky athletics director) C.M. (Newton) is one of them. He has been a mentor to me all along and he will continue to be. We will definitely use him as a sounding board.”

Hart was asked if there was any “sense of urgency” in competing for the best available coaches.

“There are three institutions (Alabama, Georgia and Arizona) that have openings and we all know there will be more,” he said.

“Is there competition? Sure. But it’s not just a race to be the first. Each institution is different. They are in different geographical areas with different visions for their program. It can create some level of competition for coaches who are on the same short list, but that doesn’t happen as often as people think.”

Hart said his “wish list” is specific, if not lengthy.

“It takes two things to compete,” he said. “The first, in my opinion, is the ability to recruit. You’ve got to have players. But in addition to the ability to attract talent, you’ve got to have leadership. You can have all the talent in the world and still fail if you don’t have a strong leader. Beyond those two things, we want someone who will represent the University in the way we want it to be represented. And we want someone who will intelligently embrace and understand the role that football has at our university and in our athletic department.

“We’re not breaking new ground in our desire to compete at the highest levels. We are doing that in our football program and we intend to do it in basketball. If we are going to thrive, everyone should look to achieve at that level. Certainly your two revenue sports — and there are only two — set the tone.”

The subtext appears to be that the financial muscle that was used to help lure Saban in January of 2007 could be flexed once more.

“You have to be willing to make an investment,” Hart said. “You have to understand that you want the right individual, one that fits the profile. And you’ve got to have a commitment to do it over a time frame that allows you to recoup your investment. It’s a long-term investment. You don’t want to be having one of these sessions every two or three years.

“We want someone whose record has very few hiccups. We want someone with a track record that has been consistently positive, without a lot of dips in the graph.

“I would honestly tell you that there are probably assistant coaches out there who, in five years, will be household names. But in this situation, we really need an experienced, sitting head coach. That was in the criteria, and it is very important.”

In the short term, though, Hart has just one prescription for anxious Alabama fans: patience. The NCAA Tournament may be in full mid-March swing before UA is ready to move.

“That’s just the reality of it,” Hart said. “The profile we are considering will probably mean that those men will have their teams in the NCAA Tournament. It’s not going to be an immediate process by any stretch of the imagination. But we have to be smart enough to have people engaged in the process in appropriate ways.

“You can’t chase your own tail. You can’t help someone feather his own nest and stay where he is. There are ways to determine someone’s interest level. We’ve got to make sure we’ve got our attention pointed at the right candidate. We’ve got a short list. I’ve seen searches where there were 25 candidates under consideration and those don’t work.

“At the right time, we’ll get down to a one-on-one situation.”

That’s the game of one-on-one — at the elite level — that will matter most to Crimson Tide basketball fans. And it will be a true test of Hart’s skill at recruiting.

AlaGator
02-09-2009, 03:58 PM
I have noticed that things were strangely quiet on the hiring front. I would be interested in knowing how Bama fans feel about this. We need somebody that will overhaul this team. They are rudderless and drifting. We can do better! I would love to hear more about this rumor.

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2009, 04:00 PM
That's another thing Arizona is open, and I've heard two main names in play there (Jamie Dixon and Mark Few) to go along with two guys Bama fans have mentioned (Tubby and Pitino). Interesting offseason ahead.

OffThePorch
02-09-2009, 04:40 PM
i hope BAMA gets a good one. good luck!

georgiaguy31015
02-09-2009, 04:41 PM
What a coup that would be for Bama but I don't see it happening.

kentubbybasketball
02-10-2009, 01:26 PM
It would be a bigger coup than Saban to Bama for sure. One, Izzo's not an exiled pro coach looking for a college program to coach. Plus, Bama football is elite. Bama basketball reeling in an elite coach that's not job hunting would send shockwaves thru college hoops.