Which New Coach Has Done A Better Job? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Which New Coach Has Done A Better Job?

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2009, 03:37 PM
The past two years a new coach has at least shared SEC Coach of the Year. Chances are the two new coaches in the league are at the top of the list this year (with Rick Stansbury if you ask me).

Which new coach has done the best job? Coach Johnson or Coach Horn?

UA37
02-09-2009, 03:43 PM
I say Horn b/c he hasnt lost by 30. Both teams are very good, but both coaches were fortunate to inherit elite talent in Downey and Thorton and Mitchell.

Djshockley3
02-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Horn has done the better job, imo.

VandyChuck
02-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Good question, KT.

Both were lucky to inherit talented teams, but I gotta give a slight edge to Johnson at this point. LSU looks like the best team in the league at this point.

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2009, 03:50 PM
I'm going with LSU also. Let's be fair. Both coaches got tremendous talent (and it's not just Thornton for Johnson and Downey for Horn), like UA37 is saying. Both coaches got starting lineups where each guy has played in college at least one prior season. They inherited some experience, and Frederick and Mitchell are guys that could likely be All-SEC Third Team guys. Plus, they've got defensive aces in Johnson and Archie (athletic marvels).

I think both coaches have done well considering neither has much inside depth, although Johnson has more bodies inside. I think Horn's best coaching job this season would be not tiring his guys out quite frankly. I don't think it's a very deep team, and they may run out of gas.

I think LSU is Sweet 16 good though, and they are standing out in the West for right now... they draw Mississippi State later on this week, and that tune may change... but for now Coach Johnson would be my SEC COY.

It'll be interesting to see how both coaches recruit here on out. Both guys have top 150s coming in next year already, but with Johnson's mainly West coast contacts, it'll be important to continue to dip into Seattle and California until he settles those southern contacts. And, with Horn coaching in a division where he'll likely have to work harder than coaches at UT, UF, and UK it'll be interesting to see how he holds up.

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2009, 03:58 PM
I say Horn b/c he hasnt lost by 30. Both teams are very good, but both coaches were fortunate to inherit elite talent in Downey and Thorton and Mitchell.

One of last year's SEC coaches of the year lost by 41... and that was in a conference game BTW. Johnson's loss I believe was to Utah, right?

MSUado
02-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Both have done a very good job but I went with Horn because he seems to be doing very well with slightly less talent than LSU.

GatorMan32
02-09-2009, 04:06 PM
helps to inherit a guy who is one of the top 5 players in the league. both benefit from that. tough call. cant go wrong with either.

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Is Horn's talent slightly less? I think they both go about a legitimate 6 or 7 deep.. and that's it. And, I feel that those top 7s are pretty even. I do feel like Johnson has more "bodies" to turn to if worse came to worse though. But, I think the talent is even. I feel like Horn's SEC wins have been more impressive than Johnson's... quite frankly LSU should be undefeated right now, that loss to Bama in the first game of the SEC season shouldn't have happened.

LSUTigers1404
02-09-2009, 04:11 PM
Maybe I am a little bias, but I voted Johnson. After seeing LSU last year compared to LSU this year, it is like night and day.

I know one game doesn't really mean much in the grand scheme of things, but don't forget that when they went to head, Johnson won 85-68.

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Also, the transformation in Bo Spencer has been amazing... he's the SEC's most improved player relatively speaking (you could throw Jodie Meeks into that), but I'm going with Bo. He's been just solid. You gotta attribute that to Trent Johnson.

UA37
02-09-2009, 04:22 PM
One of last year's SEC coaches of the year lost by 41... and that was in a conference game BTW. Johnson's loss I believe was to Utah, right?

and??

I see both coaches having comparable years. I believe LSU has the better talent and experience. They also have an embarrassing loss. I still think they are the better team, but imo Horn has done the better job.

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2009, 04:31 PM
Obviously, embarrassing losses don't hurt you too much though, as I said about one of last year's recipients... if you go 14-2 in the SEC like Johnson is on track to do, I'd say they forget about a loss to Utah that happened in December, especially if Horn is in a logjammed East with 5 or 6 losses.

UA37
02-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Obviously, embarrassing losses don't hurt you too much though, as I said about one of last year's recipients... if you go 14-2 in the SEC like Johnson is on track to do, I'd say they forget about a loss to Utah that happened in December, especially if Horn is in a logjammed East with 5 or 6 losses.

If what you say happens, than yes i'll change my vote. At the moment, my vote goes to Horn.

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Fair enough. I guess in asking the question I was asking basically a doubel question: who's done better coaching thus far and who's gonna win SEC COY when it's awarded.

OffThePorch
02-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Horn has done more with less imo... though its close.

georgiaguy31015
02-09-2009, 05:43 PM
helps to inherit a guy who is one of the top 5 players in the league. both benefit from that. tough call. cant go wrong with either.

Well said.

NCMISSSTFAN
02-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Very tough question, both coaches were given all SEC guys in Thornton and Downey so that definetly helped them both. I like Johnson but I think I will give the slight edge to Horn at this point because like someone already mentioned, I don't think USC's roster is as good as LSU's.

Re-ask this question at the end of the season and my answer may be different though, we have to see how these two teams finish.

SkyAntoine
02-09-2009, 08:31 PM
I think Johnson is a better coach, but Horn has impressed me more this year. Of course we have not played LSU, yet.

I expected Horn to energize the USC program, but I thought it would be more in the form of attracting recruits and playing a run and gun game. He's done an unbelievable job so far with the players he has.

JRS
02-10-2009, 09:23 AM
I would most definitely say that USC has less talent than LSU. Beyond our starting five we probably have one more SEC caliber player. We also have two former walkons in Wilder and Conrad. My vote, and probably very homeristic of me, goes with Horn at the moment. It will probably change by the end of the season.