Dee Bost(SEC Freshman Of The Week) [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Dee Bost(SEC Freshman Of The Week)

leland5
02-09-2009, 11:16 AM
SEC FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
Dee Bost
Mississippi State
G 6-2 170 Fr. Concord, N.C.

Mississippi State's Dee Bost was named SEC Freshman of the Week after he averaged 17.5 points, 3.5 rebounds and 5.5 assists in wins at Kentucky and against Arkansas. The rookie guard scored a career-high 25 points and connected on a career-bst six three-pointers against the Razorbacks while dishing out seven assists. In helping lead the Bulldogs to just their second win at Kentucky's Rupp Arena, he added 10 points, four assists and three steals.

VandyChuck
02-09-2009, 11:20 AM
You know, you could tell us who the SEC POY is when you do this since you're already over there copying and pasting.

leland5
02-09-2009, 11:21 AM
LSU's Tasmin Mitchell.......SEC Player of the Week

Both are usually announced near the top of this board.....Not wanting to over lap the existing project threads(XPS, ect.). I've been doing threads on the Dee Bost part.

Note: I was already preparing to post mention of Tasmin Mitchell as Player of the Week(save details). I was still typing my friends. Still, I basically save the whole story details on both for XPS, ect(Have been doing both...SEC Player Of The Week and SEC Freshman Of The Week for a while now.)

OffThePorch
02-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Congrats to both!

SEC PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Tasmin Mitchell
LSU
F • 6-7 • 240 • Sr. • Denham Springs, La.

LSU's Tasmin Mitchell was named the SEC Player of the Week after averaging 21.5 points, 10.0 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 2.5 steals in leading the Tigers to wins at Georgia and over Alabama. He made 12-of-16 (75 percent) of his field goal attempts in a 27-point, nine-rebound effort against Georgia. He registered his sixth double-double of the season with 16 points, 11 rebounds to go with four assists and four steals against Alabama on Sunday. Mitchell, who has scored in double figures for 12 consecutive games, shot 62.1 percent (18-of-29) from the field for the week to improve his season shooting percentage to 54.5 percent.

Mitchell's Season Stats
PPG RPG APG BPG SPG
15.6 6.8 1.7 0.7 1.5

SEC FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
Dee Bost
Mississippi State
G • 6-2 • 170 • Fr. • Concord, N.C.

Mississippi State's Dee Bost was named SEC Freshman of the Week after he averaged 17.5 points, 3.5 rebounds and 5.5 assists in wins at Kentucky and against Arkansas. The rookie guard scored a career-high 25 points and connected on a career-bst six three-pointers against the Razorbacks while dishing out seven assists. In helping lead the Bulldogs to just their second win at Kentucky's Rupp Arena, he added 10 points, four assists and three steals.

Bost's Season Stats
PPG RPG APG BPG SPG
10.5 3.1 4.5 0.0 1.4

VandyChuck
02-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Thanks, OTP.

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2009, 02:35 PM
You know, you could tell us who the SEC POY is when you do this since you're already over there copying and pasting.

Nothing's ever good enough, huh?:raz:

Bost is a better shooter than I anticipated coming in. I saw both games this past week, and he was quite impressive. He's gotta be a lock for All-SEC Freshman, and quite frankly, he'd be by SEC FOY right ahead of Fortson and Terrico White then Jeff Taylor.

What I like most about Bost is that he's a really good penetrator, and it's not herky jerky like Fortson's penetration, which I think throws off his team. Bost plays within the framework of the offense very well.

VandyChuck
02-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Bost, Terrico White, Scotty Hopson, JayMichael Green, and Erving Walker have REALLY come along lately, and you'll probably have to pick two of them for the all-SEC freshman team. Fortson, Taylor, and maybe even Trey Tompkins have played well pretty consistently all year and should be shoo-ins for the first team. At this point, I'd pick Bost and White out of the others to go along with Fortson, Taylor, and Tompkins.

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2009, 02:47 PM
Cool the presses... Chuck that would be my exact 5 as well. I'm not as high on Hopson as you are, but I do agree it seems like he's shooting better lately. I think Green has kind of cooled a little bit lately with the coaching change. He was playing well though at the end of the OOC season and the beginning of the SEC season. But, after the game vs LSU yesterday, he may be out for the season.

That leaves me with in order: Bost (FOY; just overtook Fortson this weekend), Fortson, White, Thompkins, and Taylor. I think Thompkins and Taylor have to hold on to their spots, but they aren't locks quite yet.

VandyChuck
02-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Don't get me wrong, I like Bost a lot and he should be on the first team, but his scoring average (overall AND in SEC games) is still lower than White, Fortson and Taylor.

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2009, 02:58 PM
I understand that, and everybody knows I'm using scoring averages to talk up players for other awards... however, I feel like with Bost, it's more of a perception thing. He's playing for a team that is in second place in the entire league. Plus, he's on a team where all starters are in double figures in SEC games, he's orchestrating all of this from the PG spot.

I think what hurts both Fortson and Taylor is that their teams are basically in 6th or 5th in its division. I think a that kind of balances out the stat disadvantage for Bost.

leland5
02-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Dee Bost is really doing a good job of running the point(including not turning the ball over much) for Mississippi State and has helped put his team in position to win the SEC West and overall Titles.

Note: Mississippi State has a very balanced scoring team led by Bost at the point.

msudawg4life
02-09-2009, 03:44 PM
Don't get me wrong, I like Bost a lot and he should be on the first team, but his scoring average (overall AND in SEC games) is still lower than White, Fortson and Taylor.

When you talk PG though...it's not about scoring Avg imo.

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Scoring is important for any individual award though, except for the defense awards IMO.

OffThePorch
02-09-2009, 03:51 PM
When you talk PG though...it's not about scoring Avg imo.

agreed. i wouldnt trade Bost for any other freshman in the ncaa.

NCMISSSTFAN
02-09-2009, 04:30 PM
I've been very impressed with Bost lately myself, he started the season off a little slow but after about 6 or 7 games into the season, he has been playing like a veteran.

I do think he's one of the best Freshman in the league but something tells me that Fortson will still get FOY because his averages are better. Bost doesn't turn the ball over alot either and that's something we haven't had at MSU from a PG in a long time.

georgiaguy31015
02-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Congrats to Bost.

Nkemdiche4Heisman5
02-09-2009, 07:14 PM
The last few weeks it's been White and Bost. I wouldn't start talking about SEC FOY just yet, this is a ridiculous freshman class. I haven't kept up with much CBB in the past, so has there ever been a freshman class with this much impact? I still think if T. White continues playing at this level, he will win it. He didn't start until a few games into conference play. I think he is a serious force to be reckoned with.

OffThePorch
02-09-2009, 07:28 PM
White is really good.
& like you said so is the SEC freshman class. besides Bost we have Osby & Beckham,, both will be very good players.

msudawg4life
02-09-2009, 09:24 PM
Scoring is important for any individual award though, except for the defense awards IMO.

Correct...but a PG does not NEED to score when his team is doing all the scoring....like last game though...MSU's point producer did not score...Bost stepped in his shoes without missing a step and ALSO continued to do what he does every game as the PG...to me that is a true pg and one most teams in this country lack.

MSU is very lucky to have a PG like Dee Bost....heck of a job Rick.

VandyChuck
02-10-2009, 10:25 AM
The last few weeks it's been White and Bost. I wouldn't start talking about SEC FOY just yet, this is a ridiculous freshman class. I haven't kept up with much CBB in the past, so has there ever been a freshman class with this much impact? I still think if T. White continues playing at this level, he will win it. He didn't start until a few games into conference play. I think he is a serious force to be reckoned with.

Yes. Last year's class had WAY more impact. Calathes, Patterson, Ogilvy, Warren, and Anthony Randolph all were bigger factors for their teams than most any freshman this year.

Nkemdiche4Heisman5
02-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Yes. Last year's class had WAY more impact. Calathes, Patterson, Ogilvy, Warren, and Anthony Randolph all were bigger factors for their teams than most any freshman this year.

Sorry for my stupidity, I know nothing about CBB, but I'm trying to learn. Anyways, Patterson the beast for KY??? He's only a sophomore?!?! Dang, I would have hated to come across him in third grade