LSU @ Miss St [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : LSU @ Miss St

MSU124
02-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Game of the season for State. A lot counts on this game. Should be a great one. It sucks it's not on tv. This one will decide the West, and maybe the overall SEC.

msudawg4life
02-08-2009, 01:35 PM
wow..that is sad that it's not on TV...I have to work that night so i'll be checking my phone alot...lol.

Should be a good game.

GL to LSU

NCMISSSTFAN
02-08-2009, 02:02 PM
LSU is the best team, RIGHT NOW, in the SEC IMO. Home or away this game will be tough, they beat us pretty good at there place earlier and and hoping we can pay them back, it will be very tough though.

MSUado
02-08-2009, 08:01 PM
We really need this win but I just don't see it happening. LSU is a very good team.

Geaux 58 03 07
02-08-2009, 10:11 PM
This will be a tough game and I don't think it's the end of the world if we lose. That being said I hope the team doesn't feel that way and they show up with the killer instinct that I've seen the past few games.

LSUTigers1404
02-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Miss. State needs this game more than we do. But, it is also a very important game for us.

If we manage to win, we can seperate ourselves from the rest of the pack in the SEC West. Miss. State would fall to 6-3 in SEC play. We would improve to 8-1, which would basically give us a 3 game lead on Miss. State with the tie breaker.

If Miss. State wins, we would each have a 7-2 SEC record. With a split series, it would be anybody's division.

OffThePorch
02-09-2009, 06:38 AM
LSU has the more experienced talent. imo has the team to go the furthest in the dance. i expect an LSU win.
we're a little ahead of my schedule so im good either way. a win wb great. go DOGS!

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2009, 02:55 PM
MSU can't afford to drop this game IMO too much: from an SEC posturing standpoint and also from an RPI standpoint. If LSU gets a sweep here, you gotta think MSU may have to basically win out or only lose 1 game to get in the NCAAT.

Also, a loss would put them two games back and if LSU doesn't lose this one, you'd have to question when will they lose two more games in order for MSU to have a chance at tying at least.

Plus, LSU ripped MSU last time. More than anything a win here would be statement that the Tigers aren't just gonna run over the Dawgs. I'd imagine with the way MSU is playing right now, even though LSU is playing well too, I gotta say MSU by 12.

MSUado
02-09-2009, 03:12 PM
This game is soo tough to call. LSU is so strong defensively that it hurts our perimeter shooting but with the way we have been shooting lately I have to say that we take this one by 6 points. We absolutely have to win this game. We need to steal a couple more on the road as well. I think we need this game and to get to 12 wins plus a tourny win to make the NCAA's.

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Why is it tough to call? If MSU doesn't come out firing I'd be shocked... there's so much more for you guys to lose, plus it's at home. If that doesn't produce a sense of urgency.. uh oh. I will say MSU will have to play control and not be too urgent.

I think one thing that hurts MSU against LSU more so than against most teams, is that LSU doesn't just pound the ball inside at a post player so Varnado can just send back their shots. I think with the crafty penetration LSU's guards, in particular Thornton, Varnado could possibly see some first half foul trouble.

LSUTigers1404
02-09-2009, 03:18 PM
Why is it tough to call? If MSU doesn't come out firing I'd be shocked... there's so much more for you guys to lose, plus it's at home. If that doesn't produce a sense of urgency.. uh oh. I will say MSU will have to play control and not be too urgent.

I think one thing that hurts MSU against LSU more so than against most teams, is that LSU doesn't just pound the ball inside at a post player so Varnado can just send back their shots. I think with the crafty penetration LSU's guards, in particular Thornton, Varnado could possibly see some first half foul trouble.

Just because MSU may have a sense of urgency doesn't mean they will roll us by 12. We are more than capable of handling an inspired surge, as we showed in Knoxville a few games ago. LSU will not lay down for Miss. State, no matter how badly they want it.

MSUado
02-09-2009, 03:20 PM

They pretty well hammered us earlier and they have been rolling through the SEC since the Bama game so I think they are probably the best team in the SEC. It's a tall task beating the best SEC team no matter where you play them.

We really put ourselves in trouble losing to Ole Miss at home.

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2009, 03:22 PM
Well, you got off to a nasty start vs Bama yesterday at home (maybe it was the Sunday afternoon thing), but I think if that happens against MSU, you're in trouble, because MSU is great frontrunners.

I think if MSU makes threes with the same propensity as they showed last week, LSU is gonna need major nights from Marcus Thornton and Tasmin Mitchell. MSU basically shut off Patrick Patterson and Jodie Meeks' water last week though, so they are likely gonna take away one of your big threats. I don't think Johnson is gonna offer much by the way of scoring vs Varnado at the Hump either.

I wouldn't be shocked to see you win... Trent Johnson stopped shocking me when he went to the Sweet 16 in 2004 with Kirk Snyder and Nick Fazekus (sp?). But, I think if LSU loses again, this will be one of the more likely scenarios... maybe not by 12 though.

LSUTigers1404
02-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Well, you got off to a nasty start vs Bama yesterday at home (maybe it was the Sunday afternoon thing), but I think if that happens against MSU, you're in trouble, because MSU is great frontrunners.

I think if MSU makes threes with the same propensity as they showed last week, LSU is gonna need major nights from Marcus Thornton and Tasmin Mitchell. MSU basically shut off Patrick Patterson and Jodie Meeks' water last week though, so they are likely gonna take away one of your big threats. I don't think Johnson is gonna offer much by the way of scoring vs Varnado at the Hump either.

I wouldn't be shocked to see you win... Trent Johnson stopped shocking me when he went to the Sweet 16 in 2004 with Kirk Snyder and Nick Fazekus (sp?). But, I think if LSU loses again, this will be one of the more likely scenarios... maybe not by 12 though.

I agree, I am fully expecting Miss. State's best game. Especially after what happened the last time we played. I don't believe our guys will start out sluggish like they did yesterday. I am more concerned about this game than I have been about any other one this season so far. I just hope Miss. State has another bad day behind the arc like last time. Although those are few and far betwen.

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2009, 03:25 PM
They pretty well hammered us earlier and they have been rolling through the SEC since the Bama game so I think they are probably the best team in the SEC. It's a tall task beating the best SEC team no matter where you play them.

We really put ourselves in trouble losing to Ole Miss at home.

I think it's a tall task beating any SEC team... there's too much talent and too much good coaching for that not to be the case, but these are the kind of games that MSU needs to take pride in in order for the Selection Committee to force you into the bracket IMO.

To me, there's almost "no alternative" for MSU in this game. Win or go home like the NBA says.

FWIW, I love LSU and picked them to win the West, and they likely will win the SEC this year. So, I realize they are good.

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2009, 03:26 PM
I agree, I am fully expecting Miss. State's best game. Especially after what happened the last time we played. I don't believe our guys will start out sluggish like they did yesterday. I am more concerned about this game than I have been about any other one this season so far. I just hope Miss. State has another bad day behind the arc like last time. Although those are few and far betwen.

Especially, the reason why I say MSU jumps down LSU's throat (what I bolded from you post). After getting throttled by LSU earlier, a loss here would be a "not good" statement. Plus, it distances LSU in the SECW title race. MSU has a lot to play for.. a lot, and that's always tough to overcome.

OffThePorch
02-09-2009, 03:36 PM
LSU has the better team.... more experienced talent. LSU wins.
go DOGS!

msudawg4life
02-09-2009, 03:41 PM
I agree...LSU should win this game..Don't get me wrong...I def want MSU to win, but They have more then satisfied me this year...let's face it...MSU has over achieved this year...I'm happy our guys have progressed as far as they already have...more would be great, but I'm not gonna go pouting if they lose this game. LSU is the better team IMO.

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2009, 03:44 PM
4life, if you've overachieved, why not keep overachieving. I'm sure that's the message Rick Stansbury is sending (about not being content), because he's a good coach. I realize this is MSU and maybe you are satisfied with this season thus far, but I'd imagine Stansbury wouldn't be satisfied if MSU didn't grab hold of this tremendous opportunity.

Usually, I'm wrong about MSU games though, so maybe you do lose. It would just be surprising to me.

msudawg4life
02-09-2009, 03:49 PM
I agree...MSU is over achieving big time this year...I LOVE IT....don't get me wrong...I'm just not gonna be like Ark fans and let it get to my head all to have my team fall on it's face and then be put on depression pills.

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2009, 03:50 PM
I think that's wise, but part of overachieving is winnings games just like this one.

Now if MSU comes out and lays an egg, I think LSU is will take it and run with it, because they are too well-coached not to.

Man, I love this... SEC hoops in February!

OffThePorch
02-09-2009, 03:52 PM
imo we are the second best team in the West. its where i picked us.

BergeLSU
02-09-2009, 03:56 PM
I think LSU loses this game, they are due. Maybe that's the Brady era in me still.

But LSU does match-up very well against MSU, especially if they can keep Varnado out of it defensively again. (He had 2 defensive rebounds, 2 steal and zero blocks)

He will get his points.

But I still don't have faith in LSU on the road.

NCMISSSTFAN
02-09-2009, 04:43 PM
You all have very good points. I'm hoping MSU can use its momentum from the past two games and bring it into this one. I agree to some extent with the overachieving but at the same time, our Freshman are 20 plus games into the season and same goes for our inexperienced sophmores.

statesboroblues
02-10-2009, 09:15 AM
#1. We are going to need more fans at this game than we had turnout for the Arkansas game...though lively it was disapointing. Don't know how we will start the game...have a tendency to be hot or cold...if we start out hot we can not take our foot off the gas(UGA and UM). We need to keep playing our style until the game is over. We have to dictate the play...LSU took us out of our comfort zone last game. And considering LSU matches up with us very well(LSU advantage) it is going to be tough. Don't know what exactly we need to do but Varnado needs to stay in the paint. Stans has always been a man-to-man guy and our zones are questionable in long spurts so it will be a tough decision IMO.
Bost will have a major role in how we play. He had an admitted poor game vs LSU earlier.

"Eat a Peach"

MSUado
02-10-2009, 10:41 AM
If you look at the box score of the last meeting you will see that nobody had more than 4 rebounds. Jarvis only played 25 minutes. We shot 25% from three. We only had 2 blocks as a team and we had terrible guard play. Dee Bost had his worst game of the year with 2 points on 0-6 shooting and 2 assists with 4 to's. We just played very uncharacteristically. Obviously a lot of that had to do with LSU's defense but I know we are better than that so hopefully we play better tomorrow because we have to have this one.

Here's my prediction for the remaining games:
LSU W
@ Auburn L
South Carolina W
@ Alabama W
@ Tennessee L
Auburn W
Florida W
@ Ole Miss W

Go dogs.

OffThePorch
02-10-2009, 11:24 AM
LSU L
@ Auburn W
South Carolina W
@ Alabama W
@ Tennessee L
Auburn W
Florida W
@ Ole Miss L

i predict 5-3 to finish 11-5.. 2nd in the West.. we'll need to at least win a couple games in the tourney to make the dance.. imo

Fatboy
02-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Is this game on tv tonight?

OffThePorch
02-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Is this game on tv tonight?

dont think so.
its on M2M

UA37
02-11-2009, 09:58 AM
This has the potential to be a great game. I think either team could win. I'm gonna go with the home team.

OffThePorch
02-11-2009, 10:24 AM
we'll have to play our best for 60 to beat a very experienced talented well Coached LSU team.
go DOGS!

MSUado
02-11-2009, 10:42 AM
we'll have to play our best for 60 to beat a very experienced talented well Coached LSU team.
go DOGS!

You're predicting four over times? Bold move.

statesboroblues
02-11-2009, 10:49 AM
go DOGS!

I am trying to figure out the over under on how many times you will say this in the thread....:raz:

"Eat a Peach"

OffThePorch
02-11-2009, 10:50 AM
You're predicting four over times? Bold move.

:rotf: damn fact checkers... its like being married :lol:

go DOGS!

OffThePorch
02-11-2009, 10:53 AM
I am trying to figure out the over under on how many times you will say this in the thread....:raz:"Eat a Peach"

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_dwjqTzbSJwY/RwTlhm9qZRI/AAAAAAAAAA0/0rUGXaPMFak/s320/stalking%2Bshirt.bmp
me or leland.. choose damn it.. :kiss::lol: