Don't wait around folks, Razorback basketball wont be back for a long time [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Don't wait around folks, Razorback basketball wont be back for a long time

batmanthelegend
02-08-2009, 02:29 AM
It's going to be a long while before we get the program we want and deserve again. The only way we are going to get back to where we want to be is to hire a coach who can come in here and consistently get the big time talent to compete with the big boys. And I'll give you a hint, it WONT be John Pelphrey.

Pelphrey is another Heath, a scrub with a fiery attitude. But under that attitude is a lack of skill in coaching and recruiting.

To be a successful program you either have to know how to recruit to cover up your coaching woes, or you have to be a great X's and O's guy to cover up your recruiting mistakes.

But to be an ELITE program you have to be able to recruit AND coach. And my dear friends our head guy has neither of those two qualities.

The sooner we pony up the money, the better.

BAT

OffThePorch
02-08-2009, 09:20 AM
imo next season should be the fire or extend season for JP. imo he deserves at least that long. when a change does happen ARK should go big time. like a Calipari, etc.

steelyvan
02-08-2009, 09:37 AM
did the bball program just stumble past OU and UT?

msudawg4life
02-08-2009, 09:41 AM
how many times can it be said...they were PLAYING OVER THEIR HEADS...

one thing you do need to remember is that Ark has lost ALOT of players from last year....I think them winning those two games early in the year hurt them more then helped....I think it may have relaxed the attitudes of the guys on the team to think they could walk through the SEC.

UA37
02-08-2009, 09:55 AM
They lost 6 or 7 seniors and then Patrick Bev. and you want to blame Pelhprey for this year? Thats ridiculous. This is a rebuilding year. You're likely going to have a rebuilding year or two when you switch coaches.

Bubba
02-08-2009, 11:37 AM
batman ur crazy

ou and tx are awsome. ark dominated. flashes of excellence!

theyre young.. and i think they need a big man and another guard.

only player i havent been impressed with is clarke! but i guess when this is the sec and not okla high school you cant jack up 40 3s a game...

msudawg4life
02-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Next year when they are back in the swing of things, batman will be here on his knees praising JP up and down as the best thing to ever be at Ark.......

BANDWAGON!!!!!!

MKAU
02-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Don't worry Batman. Nobody was waiting anyway.

Geaux 58 03 07
02-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Don't wait around folks

Ok, I won't

Hogger
02-08-2009, 03:10 PM
The OU and TX games raised people's expectations this year. It made the fans think they were better than we actually are.

This team has ZERO depth. Outside of Washington we have no one down low that is even respectable. What worry's me is I'm not sure if there's any help on the way. We have 2 post players that are signed, but are academic risks. If Washington decides to go pro (probably a longshot right now, but you never know these days), we're going to be in BIG trouble next season.

If there is a job opening (way too early to predict there will be), there is one thing that is going to be very attractive to potential candidates: the 2011 in-state class is absolutely loaded. There are at least 4 players in the class that are legit high Division I players.

There are a couple that are legit candidates to be 5-stars. Aaron Ross, who's already committed to Arkansas, is a SF that is already in national top 10 lists for his class. Another, Hunter Mickelson is a 6'9" 190 lb Dirk Nowitzki clone (from the reports I've read).

The two others are 6'4" SG Ky Madden and 6'10" PF/C Hooper Vint. All 4 are considered Hog leans from what I've read. Although there is a long ways to go before they sign. These 4 are the reason John Calipari all of a sudden wants to start up a series with us after dropping us a few years back saying he wanted to get away from playing regional games.

Whoever is the coach at that time should be pretty successful just by keeping the in-state players from going elsewhere.

Just Some Hog Dude
02-08-2009, 08:41 PM
He deserves atleast another year. Hopefully he will be the one but if not we will get somebody good.

batmanthelegend
02-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Next year is win or bust for Pelphrey.

Just Some Hog Dude
02-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Next year is win or bust for Pelphrey.

We will have a chance if Washington sticks around and plays better defense.

Bacon
02-09-2009, 12:39 AM
Go Hogs.

The loss to Mississippi State immediately after the OU and TX wins took a lot out of them. They are young, and the team has no depth.

I live and die with the Hogs. When they are down, the only thing that I can say is F*ck Mississippi State (no offense).

OffThePorch
02-09-2009, 06:33 AM
Go Hogs.
The loss to Mississippi State immediately after the OU and TX wins took a lot out of them. They are young, and the team has no depth.
I live and die with the Hogs. When they are down, the only thing that I can say is F*ck Mississippi State (no offense).

i agree about the loss to MSU. It was so bad that it knocked very young ARK for a loop.
It seems like forever since ARK has been a player in the West. the last decade has been MSU. BAMA or LSU. ARK has the fans. facilities & money to have an experienced big name proven Coach.
id love to have Washington. good luck the rest of the way.

statesboroblues
02-09-2009, 09:49 AM

If there is a job opening (way too early to predict there will be), there is one thing that is going to be very attractive to potential candidates: the 2011 in-state class is absolutely loaded. There are at least 4 players in the class that are legit high Division I players.

There are a couple that are legit candidates to be 5-stars. Aaron Ross, who's already committed to Arkansas, is a SF that is already in national top 10 lists for his class. Another, Hunter Mickelson is a 6'9" 190 lb Dirk Nowitzki clone (from the reports I've read).

The two others are 6'4" SG Ky Madden and 6'10" PF/C Hooper Vint. All 4 are considered Hog leans from what I've read. Although there is a long ways to go before they sign. These 4 are the reason John Calipari all of a sudden wants to start up a series with us after dropping us a few years back saying he wanted to get away from playing regional games.

How many times have we heard this from Arkansas fans over the last several years...Just different names.

"Eat a Peach"

UA37
02-09-2009, 10:21 AM
You Arkansas fans are HARSH! Since he lost so many seniors and PAtrick Beverely, this is practically his first year. He deserves at least two more years on that fact alone.

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2009, 11:42 AM
I think Fortson plays out of control too much. Most picked Arkansas to finish last in the West... I think early home wins over then top 10 teams kind of inflated opinions, but this team was still painfully young (and that's saying something in a young league).

Next year should be much better if everybody stays. If Arkansas is still having losing streaks like this in 3 years (once Pel has basically had all these guys in his system for 3 years) then it could be major. But, right now, it's jumping the gun, although Pel should be feeling some pressure... that's what makes Arkansas, Arkansas... a top 10 program of alltime.

statesboroblues
02-09-2009, 12:00 PM
What I am wanting to know is how the players on the court like to be yelled at by a Fr in Fortson. I sit 5 rows behind the visiting bench and he lets some of the players have it on the court...I can see it as a positive and negative. He whaled(sp) his arms when someone did something wrong or was just beaten more times than I could count during the game Saturday. Hell, a couple times he literally jumped up and slammed his feet on the floor...like a kid having a fit.
He obviously is a very emotional player but I could see it being a neg when your team is trying to gain confidence. Pelphrey allows it so he must think the positve out weighs the neg.

"Eat a Peach"

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2009, 02:25 PM
states, most of the other guys are freshmen too. I remember once in the game, Sanchez was called for a foul because he didn't have his hands straight up... Fortson went over to him and was holding his own hands up as a reminder to Sanchez.

I'm with you on that though. It's gotta be offensive, whether you're a freshman or not, because Fortson is a guy that plays out of control at times and makes his own mistakes. Don't you hate working with people who have all the right answers... and it ticks you off when they make mistakes.

Hogger
02-09-2009, 04:01 PM
How many times have we heard this from Arkansas fans over the last several years...Just different names.

"Eat a Peach"

I'm not sure what you're talking about. The last big in-state recruit was James Anderson, now playing at Okie St. Before that, it was Ronnie Brewer. Before him, it was Joe Johnson.

I would think you'd have to go pretty far back to find an in-state class as deep as the 2011 class. I think the last time we had this many recruits in the state was the early 90's.

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Hogger, at the same time you had guys like Fred Gulley and the other guy that are pretty decent... top 150s in this class of 2009, and Pel got burned on those, and I've heard him getting criticized for that.

Hogger
02-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Hogger, at the same time you had guys like Fred Gulley and the other guy that are pretty decent... top 150s in this class of 2009, and Pel got burned on those, and I've heard him getting criticized for that.

Fred Gulley and AJ Walton were both 3-stars. Not bad, but they're not expected to be players you build a championship teams around. They'd both be ranked around 5th or 6th best in the state in the 2011 class. I wouldn't mind having either right now as a backup PG.

But, a couple of the guys in the 2011 class are expected to be Top 10 to 25 type players.

statesboroblues
02-10-2009, 08:37 AM
I'm not sure what you're talking about. The last big in-state recruit was James Anderson, now playing at Okie St. Before that, it was Ronnie Brewer. Before him, it was Joe Johnson.

I would think you'd have to go pretty far back to find an in-state class as deep as the 2011 class. I think the last time we had this many recruits in the state was the early 90's.

Hogger, not really talking about "in-state" guys...just recruits in general. Over the last several years it would not be pretty for MSU if you compared offer lists of the players...

"Eat a Peach"