USA-Mexico Wednesday @7- ESPN2 [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : USA-Mexico Wednesday @7- ESPN2

SCfan804
02-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Let the rivalry rekindle... World Cup Qualifying resumes Wednesday in Ohio. We're 9-2-2 in our last 13 against these clowns, and 8-0-2 on home soil over the last 10 games. Timmy Howard getting the nod in goal for us.

Game will also be in HD, Thank God

UA37
02-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Alright! Go USA! International soccer is the only soccer i watch.

SECgamecock453
02-07-2009, 11:30 AM
Go USA! F*ck Mexico! Thank God this game is Wednesday night as well because my week is going to be hell Monday-Wednesday. I can start chilling out after Sergey's 2nd test which is on Wednesday. What could be better?? USA-Mexico game then a new episode of LOST!

dnmuga93
02-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Anybody planning to go to Nashvegas for the Trinidad & Tobago match on April 1? I've just moved closer to there and am seriously considering it.

Heck Pup
02-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Muck Fexico.

SCfan804
02-07-2009, 12:31 PM
http://images.ussoccer.com/Images/cms/ussf/USA-MEX244.jpg

Heck Pup
02-07-2009, 12:37 PM
The only soccer game I have ever been to was the 1996 Olympic game between Portugal and Argentina - but I would go to this one if I could.

I would try and get a chant of "Viva' Zapatista's!" going for some payback to the Mexi's "Osama" chant. I will never forgive them for that.

Zapatista Army of National Liberation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zapatista_Army_of_National_Liberation)

fodive
02-07-2009, 12:44 PM
I wish I wasn't at work and I could watch this...

Heck Pup
02-07-2009, 12:50 PM
I wish I wasn't at work and I could watch this...

If you don't have Tivo I will record it on DVD and mail you a copy, if you like.

SECgamecock453
02-07-2009, 01:02 PM
If you don't have Tivo I will record it on DVD and mail you a copy, if you like.

That's very very nice of you.

Heck Pup
02-07-2009, 01:05 PM
That's very very nice of you.

Anything I can do to promote hatred for the Mexican Soccer Team I consider productive and worthwhile.

They are also passing out "Voodoo Hex" dolls of American players at Mexican Blockbuster stores - complete with the word "gringo" on the back of their little jerseys.

bamaphan
02-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Really looking forward to the game.

2008 National Champions
02-09-2009, 06:49 PM
I think the US will win something like 2-0.

GR8NESS
02-09-2009, 06:49 PM
I fooking work 6-10 =\

2008 National Champions
02-09-2009, 06:52 PM
I fooking work 6-10 =\

DVR!!!!!!

SCfan804
02-09-2009, 09:20 PM
They announced our roster a few days ago... we're going mostly with our players in European leagues, which I think is the right call. With that said, shoot me if we end up starting Brian Ching over Jozy Altidore at the 2nd forward spot.

Everyone knows I'm not a big Donovan fan, but he not only plays big against Mexico... he taunts them too. So for that reason, have at it Lando!

RailroadGin
02-10-2009, 11:46 AM
I thought they already named the roster- basically the same one that played Sweden. Could be wrong but I thought we're going with youth in this game.
http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_12419081.html

Vandy420
02-10-2009, 12:35 PM
I can't wait to see the US beat down Mexico again. I love to see the mexicans frustrated and pissed off b/c they realize they have taken a backseat to the US. So much jealousy from them. I can't stand them, they are cheap, dirty players that would love to injure any american they can.

I would love to see Columbus sponsor a INS Immigration night for this game. The 1st 5,000 US fans get a american flag colored Border Patrol shirt.

SCfan804
02-10-2009, 06:06 PM
I can't wait to see the US beat down Mexico again. I love to see the mexicans frustrated and pissed off b/c they realize they have taken a backseat to the US. So much jealousy from them. I can't stand them, they are cheap, dirty players that would love to injure any american they can.

I would love to see Columbus sponsor a INS Immigration night for this game. The 1st 5,000 US fans get a american flag colored Border Patrol shirt.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That would certainly cut down on the # of Mexican supporters at the games in the US

SECgamecock453
02-10-2009, 08:11 PM
We must keep the streak alive!

SECgamecock453
02-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Tonight is the big night! GO USA! I can't wait!!!!

WOOO.

Gonna bust out the Newcastle tonight. Brilliant idea SCFan, you should work for Guinness coming up with that one.

SCfan804
02-11-2009, 06:21 PM
itssssssss MATCHDAY! 40mins to kickoff... supposedly there are some nasty storms moving through Ohio. I really hope this doesn't get postponed/cancelled.

SECgamecock453
02-11-2009, 06:40 PM
itssssssss MATCHDAY! 40mins to kickoff... supposedly there are some nasty storms moving through Ohio. I really hope this doesn't get postponed/cancelled.

If it gets canceled I'll be so pissed....but at least LOST comes on tonight as well...

2008 National Champions
02-11-2009, 07:19 PM
US might be in trouble here, Mexico looks pretty into this game so far.

2008 National Champions
02-11-2009, 07:24 PM
Giovanni Dos Santos is awesome.

gatorchomp91
02-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Lets go USA!!!

I love USA and all, but watching this match after watching France vs. Argentina this afternoon is like night and day. We're just not near their level yet.

SCfan804
02-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Nice attempt by Lando on the free kick.. gotta convert those though. And yeah, after watching Brazil yesterday this isn't near the same level.... but we all know that

Heck Pup
02-11-2009, 07:38 PM
US might be in trouble here, Mexico looks pretty into this game so far.

Let's hope they break quickly, like all the other things made in Mexico.

I can't believe I am watching soccer.

U-S-A!

U-S-A!

You suck Meh-hee-ko!

SCfan804
02-11-2009, 07:45 PM
ahhhhh Dempsey almost had it!

Dos Santos scares me... best player on the field

gatorchomp91
02-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Good rip by Bradley

SCfan804
02-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Bradley!!!!!! 1-0 Usa!!!

gatorchomp91
02-11-2009, 07:58 PM
GOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooal!!! !!!!

SECgamecock453
02-11-2009, 08:02 PM
Take that you dirty Mexicans!

2008 National Champions
02-11-2009, 08:20 PM
I had to put my son in the shower and missed the goal. :(

Good work, though.,

2008 National Champions
02-11-2009, 08:33 PM
I love the US' kit.

2008 National Champions
02-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Awesome. Great call on the red card/.

You're off!

SECgamecock453
02-11-2009, 08:38 PM
Is Howard ok? He looks to be in pain and chose not to blast that ball down the field. Man, F*CK Mexico. Usual dirty moves.

2008 National Champions
02-11-2009, 08:42 PM
wow nice try from Ochoa.

2008 National Champions
02-11-2009, 09:03 PM
lolololololol 2-0!!!!!!

Heck Pup
02-11-2009, 09:04 PM
Better luck next time leaf blowers!

SCfan804
02-11-2009, 09:05 PM
BRADLEY again! lolololol what a weak goal though.... he launched that into the wind and the goalie somehow let it sneak underneath him. BYE BYE MEXICO!!!

SECgamecock453
02-11-2009, 09:08 PM
Another 2-0 USA win over Mexico, haha. I LOVE IT.

USA USA USA!

SCfan804
02-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Mexi-pwned! God is there anything sweater than beating these clowns time after time?

Bradley FTW!!!

2008 National Champions
02-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Mexico needs to make a change, they are a very talented team and this game very easily could have been a 1-1 draw. I guess Sven just isn't getting the job done, but there is no way they should be 4-5-1 at this point.

SCfan804
02-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Sven at England= Fail
Sven at Man City= Meh...
Sven at Mexico= forecast says Fail

RailroadGin
02-12-2009, 09:20 AM
Can we please get Brian Ching off the field? Seriously, what good does he do for us? He can't run at people, he can't turn and get off a shot and he's sure isn't going to run in behind the defense. The announcers praise him for being able to hold the ball. He's not supposed to hold the ball!- he's a FORWARD. Why bother bringing Josie over if you're only going to play him 10 minutes? He's not getting much PT in club play so you need him to get as much work in as possible for the rest of qualifying and WC2010.

2008 National Champions
02-12-2009, 03:09 PM
He stinks. I assume he was in better shape than the other strikers on the bench.

SCfan804
02-12-2009, 05:45 PM
I've been complaining about Ching for a couple years now. I hate the whole "he grinds it out and holds the ball well!" argument... GIVE ME A BREAK! Give me a guy who can MOVE the ball.

Altidore, Adu, and to some extent Dempsey are the only guys we have that are capable of running at somebody and getting by them. Donovan is good on thru balls, but he has to have someone set him up in order to be effective.

GR8NESS
02-12-2009, 10:51 PM
i love beating Mexico.

Texaubie
02-13-2009, 12:36 PM
Man u guys are hard on Ching. As a midfielder I loved playing with a forward like him. Guy you were confident playing the ball into with a man draped over his back.

Drop it in to him, let him shield and hold, draw a extra defender and not get pushed off the ball. Opens up combination play, sucks the defense in leaving nice lanes and looks from range (exactly what Harkes was talking about Mexico would need to look at halftime). Can really open up the offense for a midfielder by creating a nice void space due to collapse. Thats where a guy like Adu can come in at speed, getting a 1 v 1 situation or a 1 v 2 if they commit to him and Ching can fade to the space they vacated for shooting opportunities.

I disagree with the assessment that a forward isn't there to hold the ball, majority of camps I went to graded very highly and difficult on that. Do agree the US need the player that has the abilities do what is discussed here that people are downing Ching on. Ching could also be more aggressive. Need that kind of player opposite him to compliment him and bring two different attacks to the opposition.

But like I'm said I'm speaking as a true midfielder, appreciate the guy that will do that and look for you and you don't waste your runs. Also depends on what style you appreciate and run also.

Think Voeller, Klinsmann, Mattaus. Klinsmann was the speed behind, 1 v 1 guy. Voeller was strong with men on his back and Mattaus excelled at using the lanes they provided. Thats what the US has yet to develop, the threesome in the gut that is always gonna triangle the top of the 18 and provide great combination play off 3 different strengths.

MKAU
02-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Agreed with Tex about Ching. Tex more knowledgable about technical skills but I've always thought Ching was steady and consistent. You knew what you were going to get from him, which was solid play with few to no mistakes. He's no Toni or Klose, but he's as good as the US has for that position.

I see Altidore and Davies as a different type of player than Ching. Not that there is anything wrong with either style. But I see Donovan as the same style as Altidore and Davies. Donovan and Ching compliment each other well, and are familiar with each other as any other tandem on the team.

Donovan = very good
Ching = decent
Donovan + Ching = dangerous, at least more dangerous than any other combo of forwards the USA can put out there

Vandy420
02-13-2009, 12:58 PM
I'm a big eddie Johnson and Jozy Altidore fan. I would have them as the forwards and have donovan as an attacking midfielder. Ching is not a goal scorer, at least not in Int. competitions and thats what we need. I agree that he is solid and doesn't make too many mistakes, but he doesn't make enough runs, and is more about distributing the ball instead of attacking the goal, which is what we need.

MKAU
02-13-2009, 01:17 PM
I'm a big eddie Johnson and Jozy Altidore fan. I would have them as the forwards and have donovan as an attacking midfielder. Ching is not a goal scorer, at least not in Int. competitions and thats what we need. I agree that he is solid and doesn't make too many mistakes, but he doesn't make enough runs, and is more about distributing the ball instead of attacking the goal, which is what we need.Donovan is a goal scorer. Take the position labels off of the two and it's a good combination. Somebody on the field has to be a distributor for Donovan, and Donovan and Ching have spent a fairly large part of their professional careers working with each other in just these roles.
I know that normally midfielders should be the distributors but I don't see Beasley and Dempsey as the distributing types, and for Bradley to be considered that kind of player he sure has done an awful lot of scoring in the games he's played recently.
Would it help you to know that in 2008 Ching led the team in goals scored, despite the fact he's "not a goal scorer"?

Without Donovan on the field then I agree there is no reason to play Ching. But those two are just so familier with each other and work better together than any other player combination you can come up with that it would be stupid not to put them together. Ching isn't there to make you like him, or run the score up. He's there to dish it off to Lando, Dempsey, Beasley, etc. You may not like it, but he does the job Bob Bradley asks him to do.

Texaubie
02-13-2009, 02:30 PM
Donovan is a goal scorer. Take the position labels off of the two and it's a good combination. Somebody on the field has to be a distributor for Donovan, and Donovan and Ching have spent a fairly large part of their professional careers working with each other in just these roles.
I know that normally midfielders should be the distributors but I don't see Beasley and Dempsey as the distributing types, and for Bradley to be considered that kind of player he sure has done an awful lot of scoring in the games he's played recently.
Would it help you to know that in 2008 Ching led the team in goals scored, despite the fact he's "not a goal scorer"?

Without Donovan on the field then I agree there is no reason to play Ching. But those two are just so familier with each other and work better together than any other player combination you can come up with that it would be stupid not to put them together. Ching isn't there to make you like him, or run the score up. He's there to dish it off to Lando, Dempsey, Beasley, etc. You may not like it, but he does the job Bob Bradley asks him to do.

Exactly thats how I see Ching. He is there to receive, take the lumps, and distribute. Of the forwards he is the one most likely to bring the midfielders into the play. Park himself inside, draw the two center backs and free Donavon 1 v 1 on one side, Beasely 1 v 1 on another, secure a void at the 18 for Dempsy & Bradly down the middle. Then collect their trash. Why he has to be able to hold the ball with two on him like that, allow time for runs to go through off him.

What will free Ching up is others finishing with more frequency. Also from what I have been able to see the past year (screw you charter cable lol), Ching is the one forward we have that will call no joy and wait on the midfield. The others try way to many 3v1's and stuff, and like MK said, they aren't Toni or Klose.

The US just hasn't developed that type of goal scorer yet.

Vandy420
02-13-2009, 04:20 PM
Good points all, I will have to agree now that ou put it like that. (By the way Dempsey and Ching were tied for the team lead in 2008 with 4 goals a piece)

It's good to see some soccer fans with knowledge on here.

SCfan804
02-13-2009, 06:17 PM
I understand Ching's role on the team, and he performs it well against the CONCACAF teams, but against the better opponents he doesn't seem capable of forcing a defense to respect him- which allows them to just lock down Lando. I'd like to see a guy like Altidore in that spot, who has the size/strength to do the same thing Ching does but also the ability to get by you. He may not be as good at holding as Ching right now (admittedly Jozy looked like crap in the few mins he played), but I think he's got better upside and he's the kind of guy we'd need to take that next step on the bigger stage- I just don't see Ching as capable of that.

Fwiw, I was an attacking midfielder/forward who loved to push and hated holding the ball :)

2008 National Champions
02-13-2009, 06:20 PM
I understand Ching's role on the team, and he performs it well against the CONCACAF teams, but against the better opponents he doesn't seem capable of forcing a defense to respect him- which allows them to just lock down Lando.

Exactly. I could play Ching's position and we would still qualify out of the CONCACAF. :)

Texaubie
02-14-2009, 12:28 AM
Exactly. I could play Ching's position and we would still qualify out of the CONCACAF. :)

And thats part of the problem on the other side. We don't have the striker's available that can do out of CONCACAF what we want them to do yet.

Mean some have potential possibly, but over the last few year no, the US doesn't have a 3-4 touch forward that can receive with back to goal, manned, and put it on frame consistently against a quality defender.

Maybe Donovan's time at Bayern under Klinsmann will pay some nice dividends down the road.

MKAU
02-14-2009, 12:38 AM
I understand Ching's role on the team, and he performs it well against the CONCACAF teams, but against the better opponents he doesn't seem capable of forcing a defense to respect him- which allows them to just lock down Lando. I'd like to see a guy like Altidore in that spot, who has the size/strength to do the same thing Ching does but also the ability to get by you. He may not be as good at holding as Ching right now (admittedly Jozy looked like crap in the few mins he played), but I think he's got better upside and he's the kind of guy we'd need to take that next step on the bigger stage- I just don't see Ching as capable of that.

Fwiw, I was an attacking midfielder/forward who loved to push and hated holding the ball :)
Josy will get his in due time. A little more professional experiance will probably do him some good. A year from now, who knows? But right now Ching will suffice. Like I said, he does that job that's asked of him and that's why he continues to play.

RailroadGin
02-14-2009, 11:31 AM
I have no problem with Ching's ability to hold the ball. It's a well needed skill. I have a problem with his lack of scoring ability. He's not a threat to score. Other teams don't have to gameplan for him. Most of his goals for the MNT are from rebounds and wide open balls. Again I think Ching does improve the midfield's ability to get involved. But in my opinion, one of the main things our MNT has lacked is a serious threat up top.

rolling baby
02-26-2009, 06:30 PM
U.S. will do good in South Africa, imo. The fact that the WC won't be on Euro soil should help. Just play loose and everything will come to them.

2008 National Champions
02-26-2009, 06:48 PM
U.S. will do good in South Africa, imo. The fact that the WC won't be on Euro soil should help. Just play loose and everything will come to them.

Depends on their group draw. If they draw a group like they did last time they will be in trouble.

rolling baby
02-26-2009, 06:50 PM
True. Any idea on what kind of group we could get? When's the drawing.

2008 National Champions
02-26-2009, 07:38 PM
True. Any idea on what kind of group we could get? When's the drawing.

That won't be for a long time, teams are still qualifying.

SCfan804
02-26-2009, 07:52 PM
It will help our cause tremendously to win the CONCACAF region as opposed to finishing 2nd, something we should definitely be able to do. But even with that, there's still no guarantee you won't end up in the Group of Death... it's all up to the FIFA Gods

GR8NESS
02-26-2009, 09:26 PM
It will help our cause tremendously to win the CONCACAF region as opposed to finishing 2nd, something we should definitely be able to do. But even with that, there's still no guarantee you won't end up in the Group of Death... it's all up to the FIFA Gods

Surely we're due for a good draw. In 02, we drew us, Poland, Portugal, South Korea. Not exactly a cake group.

SCfan804
02-26-2009, 09:57 PM
Surely we're due for a good draw. In 02, we drew us, Poland, Portugal, South Korea. Not exactly a cake group.

Hell no it wasn't... yet ironically it was the best performance we've ever had. I remember being in shock after beating Portugal, then on cloud 9 when we beat the mexicans to advance to the Final 8.... then outplaying Germany but still losing :(

MKAU
02-26-2009, 10:04 PM
Yeah that was brutal. We deserved the win against the Germans.

It'd be nice if we could get a draw with a couple of African teams and a weak European team.

2008 National Champions
02-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Hell no it wasn't... yet ironically it was the best performance we've ever had. I remember being in shock after beating Portugal, then on cloud 9 when we beat the mexicans to advance to the Final 8.... then outplaying Germany but still losing :(

That Mexico game was sweet.

2008 National Champions
02-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Yeah that was brutal. We deserved the win against the Germans.

It'd be nice if we could get a draw with a couple of African teams and a weak European team.

The last group was evil with Italy and Ghana in the group. I forget who the fourth team was.

MKAU
02-26-2009, 10:21 PM
Czech

2008 National Champions
02-26-2009, 11:15 PM
Czech

That's a tough ass group.

Italy ended up as champs. Ghana is one of the best African teams, the Czech Republic is a very solid European team, probably among the best from Eastern Europe. The draw did the US no favors.

Hopefully they get an easier run of things. It would be pretty cool to draw Iran in our group in 2010.

rolling baby
02-27-2009, 05:54 PM
yeah, for revenge of 1998.

Us playing the Czechs first was a HUGE factor. By the time the Czechs played Italy, they were worn down and a shell of themselves. Sort of like how the Lakers (w/ Malone and Payton) broke down towards the end when they finally faced the Pistons.

2008 National Champions
03-02-2009, 02:12 PM
Italy and the US are in the same group in this summer's confederations cup, if I read it correctly.

Vandy420
03-02-2009, 03:35 PM
along with brazil i believe

2008 National Champions
03-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Group B is USA-Italy-Brazil-Egypt

Broup A is Iraq-Spain-New Zealand-South Africa

Group B is just a tiny bit tougher.

Vandy420
03-02-2009, 04:40 PM
I guess it is always random draws to make it even. But they should make it a little more fair than that. They should rank the top for teams and have 1 and 4 in one group, then 2 and 3 in another group, then add the remaining teams. It would end up something like:

Group A: Italy, USA, Egypt, South Africa

Group B: Brazil, Spain, Iraq, New Zealand

That seems much more evenly matched.

2008 National Champions
03-02-2009, 05:34 PM
I guess it is always random draws to make it even. But they should make it a little more fair than that. They should rank the top for teams and have 1 and 4 in one group, then 2 and 3 in another group, then add the remaining teams. It would end up something like:

Group A: Italy, USA, Egypt, South Africa

Group B: Brazil, Spain, Iraq, New Zealand

That seems much more evenly matched.

I know they seed teams for the World Cup, Euro Cup and Champions League. But I have no clue how they do it for this tournament.

rolling baby
03-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Facing Brazil, Italy, and Egypt would be too much. Egypt is a African Confederation Cup monolith (nevermind the fact that it's been a while since they've been to the WC).