Florida @ Kentucky Game Thread [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Florida @ Kentucky Game Thread

kentubbybasketball
02-06-2009, 03:16 PM
The Battle of the Billys Part 3

This game isn't until Tuesday, but both teams have this weekend off. Sounds like both teams know the importance of this game, way back when the schedule were being made, by having a week off.

The SEC's two best performers this year are in this game: Calathes and Meeks. The SEC's two most elite programs also going at it. THis is the best the SEC has to offer.

UK needs it more being at Rupp! Last year at Rupp, we broke the long losing streak to them and our Billy cried. LOL

kentubbybasketball
02-06-2009, 03:19 PM
Gainesville.com interviews SEC Player of the Year favorite Jodie Meeks

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20090205/ARTICLES/902060976/1003/NEWS04?Title=Q_Factor__Kentucky_s_Jodie_Meeks

gmecockrugby
02-06-2009, 04:37 PM
uk is not the best the sec has to offer btw......that being said I think uk pulls this one out bc its at rupp

weegeman
02-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Although it would still be very possible to still make it to The Big Dance with a loss in this one, I think we are getting into MUST WIN territory here. We can't lose 4 games in a row AND THREE AT HOME! It's hard to believe we are in this situation after BCG's teams protected Rupp so well before the last two SEC home game debacles. Furthermore, Tuesday is my birthday and I will be at the game, so I'm expecting the Cats to pull this one out.

MSUado
02-06-2009, 05:33 PM
I personally think Florida wins this one. You would have thought that Kentucky would have been fired up after the South Carolina loss but again they didn't play like they should have. Teams know how to beat Kentucky now and unless someone other than Patterson or Meeks steps up the cats are going to get beat again. Of course I could always be wrong but I think Donovan knows how to follow the blueprint already laid out for him. It should be a pretty competitve game though.

GatorMan32
02-06-2009, 05:40 PM
I dont like UK's home struggles. They wont last so its a dangerous time to visit Rupp. A big road win would mean a lot for Florida. So this is big for both teams.

kentubbybasketball
02-07-2009, 09:34 AM
uk is not the best the sec has to offer btw......that being said I think uk pulls this one out bc its at rupp

If you disagree that UK and Florida are the best programs in the SEC and have the most nationally-recognizable rivalry in the entire SEC, there's no sense in my trying to debate you about that.

BTW, notice I said those are the best "programs." A program encompasses more than just "one good season." I never said UK was the best team in the SEC, so I think the bigger issue is your misinterpretation.

kentubbybasketball
02-07-2009, 09:36 AM
Although it would still be very possible to still make it to The Big Dance with a loss in this one, I think we are getting into MUST WIN territory here. We can't lose 4 games in a row AND THREE AT HOME! It's hard to believe we are in this situation after BCG's teams protected Rupp so well before the last two SEC home game debacles. Furthermore, Tuesday is my birthday and I will be at the game, so I'm expecting the Cats to pull this one out.

It being your birthday is a great omen. My sister is a Florida fan, and we once played them on her birthday... it's one of the few game scores I remember over the years: Kentucky 70 Florida 55 back in 2003 when Florida was #1.

ConwayGamecock
02-07-2009, 09:51 AM
If you disagree that UK and Florida are the best programs in the SEC and have the most nationally-recognizable rivalry in the entire SEC, there's no sense in my trying to debate you about that.

BTW, notice I said those are the best "programs." A program encompasses more than just "one good season." I never said UK was the best team in the SEC, so I think the bigger issue is your misinterpretation.

I think the argument that UK and UF historically - now that UF has won a couple of NCs - represent the best that the SEC has to offer out of it's 12 programs, but your above statement didn't specify. As to these being the two best that the SEC has to offer THIS SEASON, I would say that can be heavily argued. Therefore, lacking specifics, I think gmecockrugby's counter response is a valid one.....

:)

kentubbybasketball
02-07-2009, 09:52 AM
I think the argument that UK and UF historically - now that UF has won a couple of NCs - represent the best that the SEC has to offer out of it's 12 programs, but your above statement didn't specify.

BTW, I may not have specified it enough for you, but I also never said UK or UF were the best teams this year... so that was an assumption on rugby's part, but that's irrelevant, because...

...well, I specified it now... so case closed. Thanks.

gmecockrugby
02-07-2009, 10:36 AM
i was just referring to UK not being the best the sec has to offer NOW...historically obv you cannot argue with kentucky's resume and it would be stupid to do that...I was talkn about this year bc thats what I inferred by your statement

gmecockrugby
02-07-2009, 10:37 AM
especially bc you bolded THIS IS THE BEST THE SEC HAS TO OFFER

gmecockrugby
02-07-2009, 10:38 AM
im pulln for kentucky though bc it leaves a better chance for us to win the east....and I hate florida 10x more than kentucky should be a good one....meeks is gonna break his record by a point

kentubbybasketball
02-07-2009, 10:40 AM
i was just referring to UK not being the best the sec has to offer NOW...historically obv you cannot argue with kentucky's resume and it would be stupid to do that...I was talkn about this year bc thats what I inferred by your statement

But, think about it, do you honestly believe I think Kentucky is the best team in the SEC right now after 3 straight losses? That's as obvious as UK being a tradition rich program I thought. I thought it was clear what I was saying, but message get lost in translation on message boards.

BTW, rugby, I'm glad you're found SECFanatics, and I hope you stick around and discuss hoops all season long. USC doing well bodes well for you. Stick around. Rep.

weegeman
02-07-2009, 02:42 PM
It being your birthday is a great omen. My sister is a Florida fan, and we once played them on her birthday... it's one of the few game scores I remember over the years: Kentucky 70 Florida 55 back in 2003 when Florida was #1.

Well, Florida beat us two years ago on my birthday when we had game day...

I remember Smoov hit a couple late threes to pull within three but we couldn't overcome Joker's air guitar.

But this year I'll be at the game so maybe that will play a role in the omenism.

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Yeah, that game sucked, too, because Ramel missed like 5 FTs and he's like a 85% FT shooter, the best in the SEC IMO.

weegeman
02-09-2009, 12:19 PM
I found a sitter so I will definitely be at the game tomorrow. I've been they are going to let me do the "Y" because it's my birthday...

SkyAntoine
02-09-2009, 12:53 PM
I found a sitter so I will definitely be at the game tomorrow. I've been they are going to let me do the "Y" because it's my birthday...

I'll be in Lex, but I don't know if I'm sticking around for the game. I wish it wasn't so late. I have a meeting at 9:30 am.

I don't have a great feeling about this game. Take it for what it is worth, but a family friend works at a car dealership in BG. He said Kenny "Sky" Walker was in this past week and voiced some major concern over the team's morale. Kenny is not a Gillispie fan at all. I realize he was one of the biggest critics when Tubby moved on, so I take this with a grain of salt, but he should be someone in the know. I just hope we can regain our composure

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Sky, I don't think that's fair of Kenny. I think Kenny at times was very critical of Tubby when he was here. I heard Kenny on the radio, and being the Tubby guy that I am, was very pissed off with Kenny. But, Kenny's critiques were always constructive about Tubby. I've not heard him say anything about G, but I don't hear him on radio anymore if he's still on there.

After the MSU debacle, the players apparently lit into each other in the lockerroom, so maybe morale is down. that shows me that they care though.

If we lose this game, I fear that we lose to Arkansas next, which would be five losses in a row... and at that point, Gillispie is in big trouble, and maybe should be feeling heat from people like Kenny Walker quite frankly.

I think the biggest issue at Kentucky quite frankly is the PG position. Now that sounds like common sense, but if we had a vocal leader at that position, maybe things wouldn't be as awkward for us. If we also had a guy there that could break down the defense, that would help us get by late in the shot clock for some baskets. At the present that's just not happening.

OffThePorch
02-09-2009, 06:33 PM

agreed. almost a must win for UK. Any tv on this one?
i pick UK in a close one.

ConwayGamecock
02-09-2009, 10:23 PM
BTW, I may not have specified it enough for you, but I also never said UK or UF were the best teams this year... so that was an assumption on rugby's part, but that's irrelevant, because...

...well, I specified it now... so case closed. Thanks.

this was pointed out by gmecockrugby, but actually you did lead me to assume, by posting "THis is the best the SEC has to offer".

Is.

Not was.

Not will be.

again, not enough specifics to be sure, but just enough for me to make a logical assumption, and base my response off of that assumption.

:)

weegeman
02-09-2009, 10:39 PM
agreed. almost a must win for UK. Any tv on this one?
i pick UK in a close one.

It's the featured game on ESPN, 9 ET.

OffThePorch
02-10-2009, 12:33 PM
It's the featured game on ESPN, 9 ET.

thanks.. ill be watching.

kentubbybasketball
02-10-2009, 01:47 PM
I think with Meeks, Calathes, and Patterson, you have the SEC's three best (and three most recognizable players) on the floor tonight.

GR8NESS
02-10-2009, 02:00 PM
I'm past the point of expecting anything from this team.

I'll be there, so we better win.

kentubbybasketball
02-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Well, I'm gone till tomorrow. Go Cats! I think Perry Stevenson could be key in this game: good or bad. I expect UK's offense to be much better. If G hasn't implemented some wrinkles into this offense after 7 days off, I'd be shocked. More screens for Jodie... more passes into the post to Patterson.

weegeman
02-10-2009, 02:44 PM
I think this game comes down to how well we defend the three. If Florida pulls a Miss St. / VMI / San Diego / Gardner-Webb we will be in a world of trouble.

kentubbybasketball
02-10-2009, 04:40 PM
I don't mind if we're giving up threes as long as we're scoring efficiently in our own offense. But, against MSU, we not only gave up threes, but we couldn't score ourselves.

kentubbybasketball
02-10-2009, 04:52 PM
With 31 points tonight, Jodie joins the 1000 point club... does he get it in this game?

SkyAntoine
02-10-2009, 04:58 PM
With 31 points tonight, Jodie joins the 1000 point club... does he get it in this game?

I doubt it. Rumor is (http://new.kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=13732) Florida will guard Meeks and Patterson...not so much the other guys.

kentubbybasketball
02-10-2009, 05:02 PM
That's how I'd guard Kentucky too. I'd do it until Kentucky made somebody pay. But, even guarding Jodie, he can still put up some numbers. Do they put a smaller guy like Hodge on him, or do they put a bigger and slower Calathes... do they face guard him? It's easier said than done.

SkyAntoine
02-10-2009, 05:16 PM
That's how I'd guard Kentucky too. I'd do it until Kentucky made somebody pay. But, even guarding Jodie, he can still put up some numbers. Do they put a smaller guy like Hodge on him, or do they put a bigger and slower Calathes... do they face guard him? It's easier said than done.

And it depends on how Jodie's shooting. He couldn't miss versus UT unlike his most recent games.

I think Jodie should be guarded with a quicker guy like Hodge. He has such a quick release that that split second on a slower guy gives him the edge. It's not so much about his elevation and shooting over someone.

GatorMan32
02-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Make Meeks have to do it alone if possible. I don't know. UK has a great 1-2 punch with Meeks and Patterson. Have to control the other guys and try to outscore Meeks and Patterson.

We need this game. Need a big road win.

BleedBlue7
02-10-2009, 05:43 PM
I'm not getting my hopes up for this game at all..................

OffThePorch
02-10-2009, 06:45 PM
so far so good for both teams.

Gatorbabe
02-10-2009, 07:03 PM
I'm not getting my hopes up for this game at all..................

Same here ... Well one of us will be surprised today. :p

If Florida can make some 3's, avoid turnovers, hit their FT's and rebound ... they can win. Those are big IF's. :)

scgamecock312
02-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Need some help tonight UK...help us out.

scgamecock312
02-10-2009, 08:00 PM
I'm a big UK fan tonight! let's go CATS!

SkyAntoine
02-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Did Donovan get booed toight?

gatormaniac
02-10-2009, 08:12 PM
I don't have any good feelings about this game. None at all.

scgamecock312
02-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Looks to be a low scoring game.

boxvic
02-10-2009, 08:18 PM
You know, we only try to feed the paint from the top of the key. Guess where the one spot on the floor you shouldn't try to feed the paint from? You guessed it.

Ask any half-decent coach where they want to feed the paint from and they will say below the free throw line. That gives you an angle to throw the pass with, instead of trying to lob it over your defender.

Why do we NEVER look to the paint from any spot other than the top of the key? Its not even just bad coaching, it is flat out stupid.

SkyAntoine
02-10-2009, 08:19 PM
We're moving the ball decent when we're not throwing it away.

scgamecock312
02-10-2009, 08:20 PM
This is ugly so far.

steelyvan
02-10-2009, 08:21 PM
i'm snoring.....

boxvic
02-10-2009, 08:23 PM
Why even bother calling that timeout? I mean let's be honest, do any of us think Gillispie is going to change anything? lol

SkyAntoine
02-10-2009, 08:24 PM
i'm snoring.....

So is Rupp...

gatormaniac
02-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Two teams with a week off can easily make for a boring, sloppy game.

SkyAntoine
02-10-2009, 08:26 PM
Why even bother calling that timeout? I mean let's be honest, do any of us think Gillispie is going to change anything? lol

:rotf: It's like you don't even like Gillispie.

steelyvan
02-10-2009, 08:31 PM
warming up!!

boxvic
02-10-2009, 08:36 PM
When he is doing everything right, Porter is my favorite player on this team.

SkyAntoine
02-10-2009, 08:37 PM
Non-scorers unite!!

wkj
02-10-2009, 08:58 PM
14 TO's =terrible. This is about the dumbest team in terms of basketball IQ I've seen in 40 years of watching UK. 2 players that are starting material in the SEC at the present time. Thank you oh great tubi for leaving the cupboard so full of talent.

MSUado
02-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Billy Gillespie comes off as a total ass.

wkj
02-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Billy Gillespie comes off as a total ass.

Can't say I disagree.

OffThePorch
02-10-2009, 09:04 PM
is it me or has Patterson taken a step back this season?
close defensive game so far.

MSU124
02-10-2009, 09:05 PM
is it me or has Patterson taken a step back this season?
close defensive game so far.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/players/72862

Just you =)

OffThePorch
02-10-2009, 09:12 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/players/72862
Just you =)

figures.

MSU124
02-10-2009, 09:17 PM
But I know what you mean

MSU124
02-10-2009, 09:19 PM
The florida player stepped stevesons arm after the foul.

Djshockley3
02-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Hodge is dirty.

boxvic
02-10-2009, 09:36 PM
I left work after the first half, but I saw the Gillispie interview... he's blitzed.

I'm not gonna say he guzzled a bottle of whiskey, because maybe he just took too much NyQuil or something, but I guarantee you that he's messed up on something- it was obvious.

But... Liggins who? I think we found our "lead guard" and his name is Galloway.

GatorMan32
02-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Patterson gets away with a lot of fouls.

That said, our offense decisions have suddenly gotten stupid and we have to have a score out of this timeout.

sabanocchio
02-10-2009, 09:42 PM
I wish Wayne Chism got that kind of respect. He gets a foul called on him if he breathes on a player wrong.

boxvic
02-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Porter taking these shots is a huge plus for this team. Not only has he made some of them, but him shooting (even if he misses) forces the D to look for him which sets up an easy put back for Stevenson.

Galloway is being that playmaker that we have been missing. He is finding guys for easy baskets and getting his points in transition. If Meeks was hitting his shots I'd actually say our offense looks the best I've seen from a UK team in a few years.

Ironically, they are looking good right now because they are playing a loose pick up game style of ball, so they don't need directions from the sideline to get it done.

EDIT: **** Patterson hurt. Not good. Not good at all.

MSU124
02-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Patterson goes down

gatormaniac
02-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Hodge is dirty.

Have you got other examples or are you just talking out of your arse, as usual.

gatormaniac
02-10-2009, 09:45 PM
Looks like Patterson rolled his ankle. Hopefully, it's not serious.

gatormaniac
02-10-2009, 09:48 PM
Looks to me that Patterson getting injured juiced up UK. Not good for the Gators.

GatorMan32
02-10-2009, 09:49 PM
Never want to see a kid get hurt. Hope Patterson is ok.

Djshockley3
02-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Have you got other examples or are you just talking out of your arse, as usual.

Explain to me how that play was not dirty? You are just trying to defend your player and you can't, so just STFU.

SkyAntoine
02-10-2009, 09:54 PM
My phone went dead so I couldn't post. This half is just weird.

REBEL5 AC
02-10-2009, 09:56 PM
Looks like Kentucky is pulling an A-Rod.

gatormaniac
02-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Explain to me how that play was not dirty? You are just trying to defend your player and you can't, so just STFU.

I see I was right.

Djshockley3
02-10-2009, 09:58 PM
I see I was right.

Explain how it was not a dirty play? We would all love to hear it.

GatorMan32
02-10-2009, 09:59 PM
He asked you for other examples of dirty play. He didnt deny that play.

boxvic
02-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Without Patterson to rebound I don't like our chances to finish this game out.

gatormaniac
02-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Explain how it was not a dirty play? We would all love to hear it.

You still haven't answered my question. I'm guessing you can't.

I'm not going to ruin the game thread with this BS.

Djshockley3
02-10-2009, 10:02 PM
He asked you for other examples of dirty play. He didnt deny that play.

He did not say the play was dirty either. I called Hodge dirty after watching that play. I have no idea if he has done anything like that before, I do not watch alot of UF games.

boxvic
02-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Meeks can miss every shot all game, then make two big ones in the last three minutes.

gatormaniac
02-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Damn, these nail biters drive me crazy. Especially when they're on the road. Both teams are scrappin'

boxvic
02-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Bad shot choice by Meeks there.

bleedorange1983
02-10-2009, 10:08 PM
I can't bring myself to root for either team, but this is a great game.

GatorMan32
02-10-2009, 10:08 PM
This game is coming down to the wire.

gatormaniac
02-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Geez...stupid foul there. On Meeks of all people...

boxvic
02-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Liggins stupid decisions just never cease to amaze me. I mean really, how did that look like a good thing to do? Meeks was nearly out of bounds, there were two defenders there, and the sideline acting as a 3rd. We got bailed out.

SkyAntoine
02-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Liggins in the game worries me.

GatorMan32
02-10-2009, 10:12 PM
Can't ****ing believe Werner missed the free throw there. Had to have that one.

MSU124
02-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Going for UK, will help State's chance for the overall SEC

gatormaniac
02-10-2009, 10:15 PM
Can't ****ing believe Werner missed the free throw there. Had to have that one.

Werner has his defenders, but I'm not one of 'em.

SkyAntoine
02-10-2009, 10:15 PM
I predict Meeks forces a terrible shot and Florida wins on a last second shot.

I hope I'm dead wrong.

boxvic
02-10-2009, 10:16 PM
Oh my god....

2008 National Champions
02-10-2009, 10:16 PM
lol he'll miss one of them. bad feeling.

bleedorange1983
02-10-2009, 10:17 PM
Unbelievable. W T F

2008 National Champions
I predict Meeks forces a terrible shot and Florida wins on a last second shot.

I hope I'm dead wrong.

What a shot by Meeks.

REBEL5 AC
lmao...

Djshockley3
Wow..

Djshockley3
Game over.

gatormaniac
Wow. 'Grats UK. Hope patterson is OK.

boxvic
02-10-2009, 10:18 PM
Oh my god... best finish to a game this year.

Great game Florida... this one was fun to watch.

REBEL5 AC
Wow. Dude missed again.

SkyAntoine
And Vanilla Ice misses the first two....

2008 National Champions
lol he'll miss one of them. bad feeling.

I hate when I'm right. lol.

GatorMan32
02-10-2009, 10:20 PM
Calathes ****ing choked. No excuse for this **** with the game on the line. Pathetic. They don't force Meeks to give it up and then missing free throws. G-d damn pathetic.

OffThePorch
02-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Congrats UK!

fodive
thanks cats:)

boxvic
So that's not a legal move. I always wondered why no one did that, but could never find confirmation of it being a violation.

2008 National Champions
02-10-2009, 10:22 PM
Kentucky acting like they just made it to the Final Four. lol

MSUado
Congrats Kentucky and thanks. Open the door a little more for a West team winning the SEC, hopefully the Bulldogs.

I hope Patterson is okay.

GatorMan32
No excuse for choking this game away. They still cant wait on the road. Screw the crap about this was more important to UK. They have to prove they can win outside of Gainesville against good teams and they should have had this one.

ukfan339
02-10-2009, 10:24 PM
Awesome Game! Neither UK or UF did anything wrong except for turnovers but those fans got there money worth.

SkyAntoine
02-10-2009, 10:24 PM
Crazy game! Nonetheless...sweet win!

MSUado
02-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Awesome Game! Neither UK or UF did anything wrong except for turnovers but those fans got there money worth.

I don't know about that. I thought Florida rebounded very poorly at times.

ukfan339
02-10-2009, 10:27 PM
That just proves that UK can pull it out with or without Patterson. Patterson looked like at the end of the game it didn't hurt as much, I say his out for Arkansas game but he will be back.

GatorMan32
02-10-2009, 10:28 PM
we have nearly no size inside. our center is 6'8. Chaney was out hur, which leaves our front court with basically no depth.

i am so annoyed. UF did a lot to lose this game late.

SkyAntoine
02-10-2009, 10:34 PM
The only thing impressive in the game was Calathes' play (for 39:54 anyways.) I thought both teams were sloppy and made terrible decisions throughout the game. The Cats lose that game 8 out of 10 times playing out the final minute.

gatorbait08
02-10-2009, 10:36 PM
Story of our lives this year.

Good game, UK. I hope Patterson is OK. See you in Gainesville!

gatorchomp91
02-10-2009, 10:36 PM
jkalsdjiozasfioaspudgoiawe903482q90weuffgvidsoajf! #4q#Rgjaesijfklsjfkls;dja. That's basically my thoughts right now. I can't formulate my anger into words.

First thing tomorrow I'm gonna have to find a new remote after the slamming I just gave mine.

OffThePorch
02-10-2009, 10:42 PM
The only thing impressive in the game was Calathes' play (for 39:54 anyways.) I thought both teams were sloppy and made terrible decisions throughout the game.

agreed.

BergeLSU
02-10-2009, 10:52 PM
Fantastic game.

Was pulling for the Cats because if LSU wins tomorrow, they will have a solid 2-game lead in the SEC.

A couple of things:

Free-throw shooting was awful for Florida (I don't know the stats, but it seemed very low). I don't know how a team like that can miss so many, especially with a clutch guy like Calathes.

I didn't think Hodge deserved to be ejected. He made a stupid decision, but realized it immediately, and apologized twice. Now, I think the technical foul was warranted, but not the ejection.

Florida's press often destroyed any sort of offense Kentucky had.

Kentucky looked exhausted (or lazy). Multiple times I noticed Kentucky's big guys wouldn't get down the court until 25 seconds left on the shot clock (or less). This, of course, was when Florida was not pressing.

XPS
02-10-2009, 10:53 PM
I know Nick choked, but man I love him as a player. Fla= losing record without him...

2008 National Champions
02-10-2009, 11:05 PM
I know Nick choked, but man I love him as a player. Fla= losing record without him...

**** happens. :( Nick is a great player and he is certainly carrying this team. I don't know about losing record, though....

GR8NESS
02-10-2009, 11:05 PM
Awesomeeeeee baby. I never knew 24000 people could be so loud.. The floor was shaking

GatorMan32
02-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Nick is one of the best in the country. No doubt about it. Its just such a waste to play like he did and then lose concentration with the game on the line.

boxvic
02-11-2009, 12:52 AM
I didn't think Hodge deserved to be ejected. He made a stupid decision, but realized it immediately, and apologized twice. Now, I think the technical foul was warranted, but not the ejection.

Florida's press often destroyed any sort of offense Kentucky had.

Kentucky looked exhausted (or lazy). Multiple times I noticed Kentucky's big guys wouldn't get down the court until 25 seconds left on the shot clock (or less). This, of course, was when Florida was not pressing.
[/LIST]

1) Yeah, it was a cheap play that he immediately regretted. But since that face stomp in Arizona I think anything remotely close to it this year is going to result in an ejection.

2) Any press kills our offense. We just aren't adapt at breaking the press, and it comes from not having a true PG.

3) I think a lot of that is actually by design. We try to trail the big men and catch them for an easy basket. It doesn't work too well most of the time.

swampmonster
02-11-2009, 07:02 AM
Talk about the agony of defeat........geez.

Not much you can say, but congrats to UK.

Meeks made a great shot, and Calathes played the game of his life, only to end up the chump in the end, got to make those free throws, no excuses at this level.

Hodge deserved what he got, the refs can't be mind readers, so they have to assume it was intentional, stupid move by him either way.

Gatorbabe
02-11-2009, 07:38 AM
Calathes ****ing choked. No excuse for this **** with the game on the line. Pathetic. They don't force Meeks to give it up and then missing free throws. G-d damn pathetic.

You might want to take it easy there .... Calathes was the only guy doing anything out there today. If any other guy had stepped up, Florida would have won that game. He did choke but I'm not gonna be angry at him. He shouldn't have to do everything.

Congrats UK. Good game though the ending sucked!!

UA37
02-11-2009, 07:39 AM
Calathes is becoming notorious for choking in big games. Congrats on the win UK

Gatorbabe
02-11-2009, 07:40 AM
Calathes is becoming notorious for choking in big games. Congrats on the win UK

He has struggled with FT's ... big games or not. I thought he was the best player on the court yesterday.

UA37
02-11-2009, 07:54 AM
He has struggled with FT's ... big games or not. I thought he was the best player on the court yesterday.

If he makes the late free throws then he's absolutely the best player on the court. I'm not trying to hate on the guy, but this is twice that he's choked away wins that would have been huge for the Gators. It's the difference from him being a very good player instead of a great player.

SkyAntoine
02-11-2009, 07:57 AM
Definitely a bitter sweet memory for his career high scoring night.

swampmonster
02-11-2009, 08:15 AM
It's the difference from him being a very good player instead of a great player.

Exactly right, but he may just be a "good player", that may be all that he brings to the table, I think he is being asked to do too much, Werner had a horrible game, Hodge being a senior can't afford to be that stupid, don't forget Parsons missing the wide open 3, just prior to Meek's game winning 3.

UF has some players that could potentially be good, but some of them are not even living up to that standard, I'm not seeing any "greatness" from this team, from anyone.

Still say we lack a dominate big-man.

Tyus is undersized for what he is being asked to do.

Herchel
02-11-2009, 09:51 AM
Meeks is from Metro ATL, another reason why Felton had to go.

Gatorbabe
02-11-2009, 10:44 AM
If he makes the late free throws then he's absolutely the best player on the court. I'm not trying to hate on the guy, but this is twice that he's choked away wins that would have been huge for the Gators. It's the difference from him being a very good player instead of a great player.

Well I never said great .... I agree with Swampy though. He needs other guys to help him out. I'm sure fatigue has some effect on his FT shooting late in the game. Though that is not a complete excuse. He should have made those FT's.

GDawg88
02-11-2009, 11:24 AM
I didn't see the end of the game, but from what I understand Calathes had to make three straight free throws to tie the game? It's tough to make three straight free throws under any circumstance, but especially with that amount of pressure. You guys are being way harsh if you're calling him a choker just for that.

It's not like you were only down 1 and he missed all three. That would be a choke-job.

kentubbybasketball
02-11-2009, 11:38 AM

Not sure that's Florida's fault. Meeks was gonna put that shot up if you brought three defenders, basically trying to make him give it up.

You do feel bad for Calathes, but I say we're even now. Two years ago, Ramel Bradley, a 85% FT shooter, missed 3 or 4 FTs late and we lost by 3 to Florida.

kentubbybasketball
02-11-2009, 11:39 AM
No excuse for choking this game away. They still cant wait on the road. Screw the crap about this was more important to UK. They have to prove they can win outside of Gainesville against good teams and they should have had this one.

With a loss, UK is two games out of the East lead... I think it was way more important for Kentucky from an SEC or NCAAT perspective. Florida, even with a loss, is still tied for the lead.

kentubbybasketball
02-11-2009, 11:45 AM
I gotta say Florida did well on Patterson in those 30 minutes he did play. But, him going down, that's why you recruit all 13 scholarships away. You never know when somebody is gonna be called on, like Kevin Galloway. I think Galloway gives us a third option on offense, quite frankly, because he did a nice job breaking down the Florida D, especially in transition.

Michael Porter was sensational... he was recruited here to shoot, and he gave us a glimpse of that last night... He made 3 of 4 threes, and that one he missed came off to Perry Stevenson as a putback dunk. Porter (and Galloway) simply put were in attack mode, and their turnovers were turnovers you can live with, because they were trying to make something happen.

Meeks, struggled quite heavily in this game, but when we got down 6 under 3 minutes, Jodie came out of the media TO and got a three off of a curl, and hit his second three... I knew at that point that the game wasn't over, because Jodie was gonna will us to a win. This makes two ESPN games where Jodie really endeared himself to the voting public, people that will likely vote for him as SEC Player of the Year.

Billy Donovan has really improved as a coach over his 12 or 13 years at UF. It was a chess match at the end of the game, and several years ago, you would see Billy D get outcoached the majority of the time in that situation, but he made UK counter his ball screens at the end of the game for Calathes.

Good game other than the turnovers and Patterson being down. It's a different ankle, so I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

2008 National Champions
02-11-2009, 01:44 PM
I didn't see the end of the game, but from what I understand Calathes had to make three straight free throws to tie the game? It's tough to make three straight free throws under any circumstance, but especially with that amount of pressure. You guys are being way harsh if you're calling him a choker just for that.

It's not like you were only down 1 and he missed all three. That would be a choke-job.

Good point.

weegeman
02-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Awesome game! I was most impressed with Galloway. 6 points, 8 rebounds, and nine assists. PLAY HIM BCG!!!!! And how about his dunk? Galloway, Porter, and Harrelson were the difference in this game. (never thought I would ever say those three names together like that)

GR8NESS
02-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Nick Calathes stood at the foul line with the air vibrating around him.

For those few seconds, the sound in Rupp went beyond intrusive to percussive. It pressed upon the eardrums. It messed with the mind.

It won the game.

"That's the loudest I've ever heard Rupp Arena," said Kentucky guard Jodie Meeks, whose miracle 3-pointer with 4.7 seconds left would be the difference between agony and ecstasy.

Meeks is correct, but he's only a kid. I've been attending games here for 21 years, and I've never heard it as loud as the moment when Florida's splendid guard stepped to the line with three shots to tie. Not when Rex Chapman was soaring or Pitino's Bombinos were scoring 100 points. Other longtime Rupp regulars concurred.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3898511&sportCat=ncb

I'm personally PROUD to say that my throat still hurts from screaming.
I knew when I heard the crow noise ramp up he wasn't hitting all three. I wonder if Parsons still thinks F$U and UT's arenas are louder..:think:

SkyAntoine
02-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Nick Calathes stood at the foul line with the air vibrating around him.

For those few seconds, the sound in Rupp went beyond intrusive to percussive. It pressed upon the eardrums. It messed with the mind.

It won the game.

"That's the loudest I've ever heard Rupp Arena," said Kentucky guard Jodie Meeks, whose miracle 3-pointer with 4.7 seconds left would be the difference between agony and ecstasy.

Meeks is correct, but he's only a kid. I've been attending games here for 21 years, and I've never heard it as loud as the moment when Florida's splendid guard stepped to the line with three shots to tie. Not when Rex Chapman was soaring or Pitino's Bombinos were scoring 100 points. Other longtime Rupp regulars concurred.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3898511&sportCat=ncb

I'm personally PROUD to say that my throat still hurts from screaming.
I knew when I heard the crow noise ramp up he wasn't hitting all three. I wonder if Parsons still thinks F$U and UT's arenas are louder..:think:
I wondered the same.

I should have gone. I was in Lex, but left around 2:30.

kentubbybasketball
02-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Awesome game! I was most impressed with Galloway. 6 points, 8 rebounds, and nine assists. PLAY HIM BCG!!!!! And how about his dunk? Galloway, Porter, and Harrelson were the difference in this game. (never thought I would ever say those three names together like that)

Why so? They were all recruited here to help out. I think the biggest thing wiht Galloway and Harrellson to an extent is what you say: lack of opportunity.

Right now, I don't see how you don't play Galloway significant minutes even before Liggins going forward. Think about it, when Galloway breaks the D he's either gonna pass the ball off or finish it... at times Liggins doesn't seem to have his mind made up, which causes TOs. If Galloway doesn't practice well, I think he's earned PT, because he can produce.

He's a point forward (in a sense a very poor man's Nick Calathes without the jumper). He's agreat swing forward that can slash inside, and at times when offense isn't going with Meeks and Patterson, that's not that bad of an option to have in your back pocket.

ALso, Stevenson was key... I will say he's gotta hold on to those boards tougher. Otherwise, he really does seem to understand our offense and how it works.

SkyAntoine
02-11-2009, 03:15 PM
IMO Liggins in the game for the final minute was scary. I like the kid, but I would like to see him a little more grounded. Galloway's play was incredible last night. All of our "non-scorers" were (in case you watched the game and heard that phrase 10,000x.)

boxvic
02-11-2009, 04:04 PM

Yeah, Galloway has to play. The Galloway, Porter, Meeks, Stevenson, Patterson line up was the best one we have put on the floor all year. That should be our starting line up from here on out.

kentubbybasketball
02-11-2009, 04:12 PM
IMO Liggins in the game for the final minute was scary. I like the kid, but I would like to see him a little more grounded. Galloway's play was incredible last night. All of our "non-scorers" were (in case you watched the game and heard that phrase 10,000x.)

Oh, I know... right up there with Jimmy Dykes talking about UF facing adversity and Nick Calathes' game face a million times. I almost felt like Florida was the only team he noticed last night. LOL

kentubbybasketball
02-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Yeah, Galloway has to play. The Galloway, Porter, Meeks, Stevenson, Patterson line up was the best one we have put on the floor all year. That should be our starting line up from here on out.

Agreed. I hate the comparisons we get linking Harris and Porter together. I feel like Harris' turnovers are much harder to take than Porter's. I feel like Porter is trying to be agressive, but Harris is just flat careless at times, and he basically won't provide any offense, neither from the FT line, three point arc, or the layups.

I think you bring Galloway in to begin the game, you've got a guy that will turn the ball over some, but he'll be trying to make something happen. Maybe we won't start off so slowly, cuz I'll tell you now, we start out slowly against Arkansas, we better hope Arkansas isn't scoring as well.

weegeman
02-11-2009, 06:49 PM
Good call on the "game face" and "adversity" being said 10,000 times.

OffThePorch
02-11-2009, 06:58 PM

:banghead: :dind:

kentubbybasketball
02-12-2009, 01:41 PM

I know like UK wasn't facing adversity?