3 SEC Players Make Wooden All-American List [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : 3 SEC Players Make Wooden All-American List

kentubbybasketball
02-06-2009, 03:08 PM
It's the midseason list of the top 30. The SEC is represented by Jodie Meeks, Nick Calathes, and Tyler Smith.

Wow, leaving off Marcus Thornton?

VandyChuck
02-06-2009, 03:24 PM
Leaving off Downey and Thorton is shameful and as usual, these lists are simply a representation of the players who are on tv the most.

kentubbybasketball
02-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Exposure certainly is what separates guys for these kinds of awards. Afterall, the top 20-50 players are all somewhat similar.

With how the SEC has been perceived to be this year, I think it shouldn't be a shock we only got three players on there. I think Calathes and Meeks deserve it. Smith wouldn't be my "third guy" though.

I will say there are usually a few guys that don't get on TV much that make the list. Maybe Matt Howard (Butler) and Manny Harris (Michigan) are those guys this year, but even Butler and Michigan get good TV spots. The thirty guys listed are all seemingly worthy.

BergeLSU
02-06-2009, 04:03 PM
LSU has not been on TV nationally much at all.

And by much, I mean twice.

This is why LSU is in the front of the SEC, playing very very good basketball right now, and no one has any idea. Right now, it feels like LSU would need to finish 15-1 in the SEC to receive an 8-seed.

kentubbybasketball
02-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Believe you me, I know how good LSU is. I picked you guys to win the West before the season began, and if the East beats up on each other, you could win the SEC by a couple or few games.

kentubbybasketball
02-06-2009, 04:05 PM
BTW, Bo Spencer is my pick for most improved player.

BergeLSU
02-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Believe you me, I know how good LSU is. I picked you guys to win the West before the season began, and if the East beats up on each other, you could win the SEC by a couple or few games.

I've got LSU losing to Florida, Kentucky, and Auburn once to finish the season. 12-4 with an outside shot at the SEC. The problem is that those three games as losses would mean 3 losses in the last 5 games, destroying any seed LSU would have built up.

Spencer had his worst game of the season against Georgia. 0-7 shooting, 1 rebound, 2 assists, 2 turnovers, 3 fouls.

steelyvan
02-06-2009, 05:32 PM
PP may be overshadowed by his own teammate, but I would have included him on the list anyway.

UA37
02-07-2009, 07:40 AM
The lack of respect that Thorton and Downey get is ridiculous. We'll see what happens come tourney time tho.

OffThePorch
02-07-2009, 08:40 AM
Leaving off Downey and Thorton is shameful and as usual, these lists are simply a representation of the players who are on tv the most.

agreed.

kentubbybasketball
02-07-2009, 09:39 AM
I've got LSU losing to Florida, Kentucky, and Auburn once to finish the season. 12-4 with an outside shot at the SEC. The problem is that those three games as losses would mean 3 losses in the last 5 games, destroying any seed LSU would have built up.

Spencer had his worst game of the season against Georgia. 0-7 shooting, 1 rebound, 2 assists, 2 turnovers, 3 fouls.

That is a great point. The final 10 games is almost as important as any other factor in getting in. I also think you need to beat someone at Florida's level to really prove that you belong, so that needs to be a win for sure.

It seems like Spencer has gotten acclimated as quickly as anybody to CTJ. I heard speculation going into Brady's last season (last year) that Bo was tearing it up in practice and Temple wouldn't have to play as much lead guard... well that never materialized, but it is this year.

But, as for LSU going 12-4.. if that happens, that should be good enough to win the SEC this year. At the halfway point of the season, everybody else is already at least halfway to 4 losses, if not past it.

kentubbybasketball
02-07-2009, 09:41 AM
PP may be overshadowed by his own teammate, but I would have included him on the list anyway.

Yeah, Pat should have been on there considering

A) his stats (points, rebounding, FG%, shotblocks, etc).
B) this award is usually about career achievement and not just the given year.

Pat was on the last list and Jodie wasn't, so they kind of canceled each other out. I've heard many saying that in terms of just straight ability, Pat and Jodie may be the best two players in the SEC. Listening to all the other coaches in the league, I gotta say that's not farfetched, not to mention Rick Pitino and others we've played.

kentubbybasketball
02-07-2009, 09:43 AM
The lack of respect that Thorton and Downey get is ridiculous. We'll see what happens come tourney time tho.

Maybe that's a good argument, but chances are come tourney time, the Final Four MOP is already on this list, so that argument won't carry any water.

OffThePorch
02-07-2009, 10:03 AM
btw.. Congrats to the players that made the Wooden team.

UA37
02-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Maybe that's a good argument, but chances are come tourney time, the Final Four MOP is already on this list, so that argument won't carry any water.

??? I'm sure they'll get more respect come tourney time. Getting respect has nothing to do with the Final Four MOP.

Thorton has to be one of the most underrated players in the nation. Downey would be on that list too. I think they're the type of players that show out when the tournament comes and they'll finally get their due on a national scale.

kentubbybasketball
02-07-2009, 10:08 AM
I'm just saying, you're acting like Thornton and Downey are gonna prove they belong come tourney time (and I believe they have a great chance to do so as well),but chances are the very best players are in deed on here already... so the list isn't that bad. Come tourney time, the teams and players that perform the best, by and large are already on this list. It's not like they left off Hasheem Thabeet, Blake Griffin, Tyler Hansbrough, or Terrence Williams afterall, guys who likely will make hay in March.

Both certainly have to be on a tournament team in order to "show out." I agree about Thornton being underrated, but that's what happens to most JUCOs... afterall, this is his second year in D-I, and usually that's when JUCOs show their most improvement. I don't think Downey is underrated, he's always been known to be a great player, whether he's on this list or not. Everybody knows about him. Same thing with Patrick Patterson and some others that are left off. I guess they can only take 30 and there has to be a cutoff somewhere.

UA37
02-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Throton led the league in scoring in conference play last year. If he was in the big east or if he played for Kentucky, he'd probably be in the all-american conversation.

I definitely think both teams are tournament teams. If any SEC team has final four potential, i think it's LSU.

kentubbybasketball
02-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Throton led the league in scoring in conference play last year. If he was in the big east or if he played for Kentucky, he'd probably be in the all-american conversation.

I definitely think both teams are tournament teams. If any SEC team has final four potential, i think it's LSU.

Am I supposed to feel guilty about that little Kentucky comment or something?

Hopefully, both are tourney teams. I think LSU is more definite than USC, but "definite" wouldn't be the word I'd use for teams on the "bubble" with few chances for extremely high quality wins left.

UA37
02-07-2009, 10:34 AM
Am I supposed to feel guilty about that little Kentucky comment or something?

Hopefully, both are tourney teams. I think LSU is more definite than USC, but "definite" wouldn't be the word I'd use for teams on the "bubble" with few chances for extremely high quality wins left.

Why would you feel guilty? No, you shouldnt feel guilty.

I say definite b/c they are 18-4 (6-1) and i think they win at least 6 more.

gmecockrugby
02-07-2009, 10:34 AM
is there an award for most buzzer beater wins?

kentubbybasketball
02-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Why would you feel guilty? No, you shouldnt feel guilty.

I say definite b/c they are 18-4 (6-1) and i think they win at least 6 more.

Because you throw the Kentucky name in there, like every great that's played here has been an AA. Kentucky has earned the attention it gets, and kudos to our players that do well here ... but we've never had a national player of the year...never. So, let's not just act like wearing the Kentucky jersey is all you gotta do.

I think from an RPI standpoint, maybe they're hurt a bit by the OOC schedule, but you can't deny their record... that's why I said they are more definite than USC, but I can't say USC is definitely in right now, because they could quickly play themselves out of a berth. I save "definite" for people that are top 4 seeds and are locks right now... say UConn.

UA37
02-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Because you throw the Kentucky name in there, like every great that's played here has been an AA. Kentucky has earned the attention it gets, and kudos to our players that do well here ... but we've never had a national player of the year...never. So, let's not just act like wearing the Kentucky jersey is all you gotta do.

I think from an RPI standpoint, maybe they're hurt a bit by the OOC schedule, but you can't deny their record... that's why I said they are more definite than USC, but I can't say USC is definitely in right now, because they could quickly play themselves out of a berth. I save "definite" for people that are top 4 seeds and are locks right now... say UConn.

Kentucky is on TV a ton. That's why if he played for UK he'd me getting more recognition. There was no intention to hurt your feelings or make you feel guilty or anything.

kentubbybasketball
02-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Alright, it just didn't come out that way. I read into it wrong. Playing on TV a lot also gives you more chances at criticism too, whereas, for a guy that plays at LSU, maybe you just look at his boxscores, but you don't see the nuances you'd get with a Kentucky players on TV all the time. it goes both ways.

cock15
02-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Leaving out Downey. WOW! someone dosent know anything.