If Kentucky doesn't make the tournament this year... [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : If Kentucky doesn't make the tournament this year...

UA37
02-04-2009, 12:56 PM
do they fire Gillispie? And if so would they hire Pelphrey?

VandyChuck
02-04-2009, 01:07 PM
I think UK will recover and go 10-6 or so and be an 8-9 seed in the tournament.

SkyAntoine
02-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Gillispie will not be gone after this year regardless. The delusional UK fans (not me :rolleyes:) were touting Billy Clyde as the greatest thing since pockets on a shirt just a few weeks ago. Our offense (MEEKS) was running great and we were 5-0 in the SEC. That was then...

Now, it looks like we're totally lost without Meeks chipping in 30 a night. Our confidence is shot and we don't even look like the same team.

Ultimately, yes, this falls on Gillispie, but I think it's more of an Arkansas scenario where we were playing to our potential and somehow lost our way. I still think we get it back and finish strong with a moral recovery like last year. Is that good enough for Gillispie's 2nd year? Yes. 3rd or 4th year? Absolutely not.

MSUado
02-04-2009, 01:34 PM
I think UK will recover and go 10-6 or so and be an 8-9 seed in the tournament.

I don't know about 10 wins getting you into the tourney this year and now UK has two bad home losses. I see Florida, South Carolina, and LSU getting in. Kentucky, Tennessee, and MSU are very much on the bubble IMO. I think the SEC only gets four in if a bubble team wins the SECT.

MSUado
02-04-2009, 01:37 PM
UK still has to go on the road to Florida, USC, Vandy, and Arkansas. Those are all very tough games. I think LSU will win in Rupp and UT has the potential to get a win. The schedule is definitely harder on the back end for the Cats. Their five wins so far were all to be expected except for at UT.

kentubbybasketball
02-04-2009, 01:51 PM
I don't think UK is out of the NCAAT to tell you the truth, granted, there's not many quality wins or losses to have on anybody's SEC schedule, so UK can't just keep losing games, but with wins over West Virginia on a neutral court and a win @ Tennessee, I gotta say UK should be safely in. Now, I think seeding is an issue, but we should be in.

As for Gillispie, people need to remember, UK hasn't fired a basketball coach for losing in our lifetimes, so I'm not sure UK goes about firing people, and I'm sure Gillispie's job is pretty secure, regardless of what you might think. Granted, it doesn't help that Tubby and Rick Pitino are kicking butt and taking names, but it was the same when Tubby was here and Rick Pitino was doing well.

I think UK has hit a rough patch, a rough patch that everybody else in the SEC is gonna hit, because nobody in this league is great (although some teams might have gaudy records). Even with a 3 game losing streak, we're only one loss out of first place in the East. Granted, Gillispie is gonna have to do more than just win the SECE to keep the vultures away, but he should be fine.

RailroadGin
02-04-2009, 01:56 PM
I think the SECT will decide a lot. Right now I have Tenn, Fla, LSU and USC getting in. If an underdog wins the SECT, then USC is most likely out. This is just how it is at the moment. These teams could change, but I still don't see the SEC getting anymore than 4 teams in. Not enough quality wins in OOC play.

kentubbybasketball
02-04-2009, 02:00 PM
Why USC the last of the four SEC teams in. Granted, UT has beaten Marquette, so I gotta say they are gonna ride that win into the NCAAT. LSU has a gaudy record, which should be enough. But, I'm not sure Florida should be ahead of USC right now... both teams won on their homecourt, and USC has three wins over teams that are on the bubble or better (@ Kentucky, vs USC, and @ Baylor). Those road wins are gonna help them.

NCMISSSTFAN
02-04-2009, 03:15 PM
I still see UK making the tournament, but it won't be easy, they have some pretty tough road games left but so does every other team in the SEC. I think the SEC tourny might be the deciding factor for them, depending on the situation, they may need a win or two, but we can say that about a few teams, time will tell.

When is the last time UK played in the NIT? And would the except an invite if offered?

UA37
02-04-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm not ruling UK out of the tournament. They need to turn things around tho. A 9-7 SEC record might not do it without some SECT wins. If they dont make the tournament, Kentucky fans are gonna go ape ****. I really don't see CBG making it in the long run. The UK boards look like Bama boards with CMG as the coach.

VandyChuck
02-04-2009, 03:29 PM
The UK boards are hilarious. There's a thread blaming Tubby for this recent losing streak. No, I'm serious.

kentubbybasketball
02-04-2009, 03:35 PM
I'm not ruling UK out of the tournament. They need to turn things around tho. A 9-7 SEC record might not do it without some SECT wins. If they dont make the tournament, Kentucky fans are gonna go ape ****. I really don't see CBG making it in the long run. The UK boards look like Bama boards with CMG as the coach.

UA37, one time when Tubby was here the team was 21-4, and a guy called into Tubby's coaches show and said he hadn't given up on the team. That's how UK is during times of plentiful harvest, let alone a dry season. UK fans act that way.

I'm behind my coach full throttle.

And, about that 21-4 team, it won the national championship. That's the nature of the beast here... you understand being an Alabama football fan.

kentubbybasketball
02-04-2009, 03:36 PM
The UK boards are hilarious. There's a thread blaming Tubby for this recent losing streak. No, I'm serious.

Chuck, why does that surprise you? What else did you expect? It's Tubby's fault the economy is bad and the ice storm hit also.

Meanwhile, Tubby is 18-3 and safely in the NCAAT at this moment at Minnesota.

SkyAntoine
02-04-2009, 03:38 PM

Aren't you glad that the UK posters around here are logical 100% of the time? You should count yourself fortunate.

(BTW, I'm FireBillyHirePel1938472048 on Rupp Rafters.)

kentubbybasketball
02-04-2009, 03:40 PM
I'm not certain I'd want to hire John Pelphrey BTW, Sky. Maybe he'd fit UK's program more, but I'm not sure he's a better coach.

Darrin Horn is a name I've heard some people throwing around, but lest we forget this is a career underachiever at WKU, other than a improbable Sweet 16 berth last year. He is doing some good things with USC, but that's a team that fits him, and I said so much when I predicted them to finish third this year. I wanna see more out of Horn.

kentubbybasketball
02-04-2009, 03:43 PM

BTW, what's with the fascination for firing coaches?

GDawg88
02-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Pelphrey would be an odd hire if they were to let Gillispie go (which I don't think will happen). He hasn't really proven himself at Arkansas yet. I could see him going to UK only if they miss out on their first several targets and have to settle for him.

UA37
02-04-2009, 03:51 PM
BTW, what's with the fascination for firing coaches?

:confused:

kentubbybasketball
02-04-2009, 03:55 PM
Pelphrey would be an odd hire if they were to let Gillispie go (which I don't think will happen). He hasn't really proven himself at Arkansas yet. I could see him going to UK only if they miss out on their first several targets and have to settle for him.

Exactly? Why would we fire a guy and not get an obvious upgrade. In time, maybe Pel is that guy, but right now he had his own 4 game losing streak at Arkansas. That would be backwards thinking.

Billy Gillispie is capable of winning a national title here. I firmly believe that, but I will say this. UK fans have been spoiled by great tacticians lately: Pitino and especially Tubby. Granted, some bemoan Tubby's recruiting, but you gotta admit his coaching Xs and Os was something any sane person couldn't really criticize. I think right now, we're seeing Gillispie be a little stubborn, not changing a plan that's not working, but I guess part of being great is stubborness.

GDawg88
02-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Billy Gillispie is capable of winning a national title here. I firmly believe that, but I will say this. UK fans have been spoiled by great tacticians lately: Pitino and especially Tubby. Granted, some bemoan Tubby's recruiting, but you gotta admit his coaching Xs and Os was something any sane person couldn't really criticize. I think right now, we're seeing Gillispie be a little stubborn, not changing a plan that's not working, but I guess part of being great is stubborness.
You make a good point. For all the criticism he got towards the end of his tenure at UK, how many three-game losing streaks did Tubby have? Very few, if any, that I recall. I'm a big Gillispie fan, always have been, but since he's been at UK they seem to have developed a bad habit of going into swoons for several weeks at a time. Perhaps Gillispie is a little weak in the area of making adjustments from game-to-game.

UA37
02-04-2009, 04:23 PM
I dont see Pelphrey being the man. i dont see CBG being fired at the end of this year, but i sure dont see him making it a long time.

boxvic
02-04-2009, 04:38 PM
Gillispie is only capable of winning a national title at UK on sheer luck of the draw. He is a great recruiter, but he isn't even close to the best recruiter. He is never going to put together back to back top classes, and he only just barely make it into the top 7 or so in recruiting classes most years. Once or twice he could get lucky and land a huge class full of solid 4 star players, then bring in a couple of top rated 5 stars when the four stars are juniors or seniors and win a title.

You cannot win titles with good--but not the best--recruiting and no coaching. You have to know something about the game of basketball to win national titles, and Gillispie doesn't know jack about the rules or strategy.

Here is my lock down prediction: Gillispie will survive this year but Meeks and Patterson go to the NBA. We don't make the tournament. Next years team looks like a carbon copy of this years team only less experienced. Orton plays the role of Patterson, Hood plays the role of Meeks, and Vilarino plays the role of Porter. Liggins sucks as much next year as he does this year. Miller really steps his game up, but he isn't quite good enough to be more than the third option. We go 17-11, not making the tournament for the second year in a row. Gillispie has no answers, because he can't figure out what is wrong, so he just mutters about toughness to hide his lack of a basketball IQ, and gets fired.

SkyAntoine
02-04-2009, 04:54 PM
I'm not certain I'd want to hire John Pelphrey BTW, Sky. Maybe he'd fit UK's program more, but I'm not sure he's a better coach.

Darrin Horn is a name I've heard some people throwing around, but lest we forget this is a career underachiever at WKU, other than a improbable Sweet 16 berth last year. He is doing some good things with USC, but that's a team that fits him, and I said so much when I predicted them to finish third this year. I wanna see more out of Horn.

I was kidding about Pel. Maybe in 5+ years, but I'm still sticking behind our coach even if he did root for Puke in 1992. The play I'm seeing now is more of the players not performing than the Coach underperforming.

I thought we were hitting our stride just right and playing scrappy ball, but it's just like we forgot how to win. I'm not faulting all that on Gillispie...yet.

boxvic
02-04-2009, 05:12 PM
The play I'm seeing now is more of the players not performing than the Coach underperforming.

That isa bout 20% of the problem. 80% is a lack of strategy, lack of game plan, lack of play calling, lack of defensive shifts, lack of motivation, lack of preparation, lack of coherant substitutions, lack of knowing what the problem is... or just generally a lack of coaching.

georgiaguy31015
02-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Perhaps I'm wrong but I believe UK is definitely in the tourney. I'd be surprised if they tank that bad.

GR8NESS
02-04-2009, 07:05 PM

No, and no.

Ford would be the choice before Pel at this point IMO.

OffThePorch
02-04-2009, 10:02 PM
hard for me to believe we've beaten UK 3 times in a row. if Stans could win in the dance he'd be damn good instead of pretty good.

kentubbybasketball
02-05-2009, 11:37 AM
You make a good point. For all the criticism he got towards the end of his tenure at UK, how many three-game losing streaks did Tubby have? Very few, if any, that I recall. I'm a big Gillispie fan, always have been, but since he's been at UK they seem to have developed a bad habit of going into swoons for several weeks at a time. Perhaps Gillispie is a little weak in the area of making adjustments from game-to-game.

Tubby did have a few three game losing streaks I believe, but a lot of this is maddening. I believe a big part of it is Gillispie's own recruiting. He's getting by with guys that Tubby recruited quite frankly, of which I count Patterson to some degree. Honestly, I think if Gillispie kept playing his recruits (Miller and Liggins) we should be fine.

As for Tubby, we went into just about every game knowing we had a coaching advantage. With Gillispie that isn't quite the case right now. I think his biggest hangup is a lack of ingame adjustments. You saw with Tubby's teams if something wasn't working, he'd scrap that plan and find something that did work (granted Tubby did lose by 29 last night to Michigan State though). It seems like we continue to play the same way even if a plan isn't working. That's what frustrates me the most. Plus, I don't see Gillispie using any of the depth he raved about in the offseason.

kentubbybasketball
02-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Gillispie is only capable of winning a national title at UK on sheer luck of the draw. He is a great recruiter, but he isn't even close to the best recruiter. He is never going to put together back to back top classes, and he only just barely make it into the top 7 or so in recruiting classes most years. Once or twice he could get lucky and land a huge class full of solid 4 star players, then bring in a couple of top rated 5 stars when the four stars are juniors or seniors and win a title.

You cannot win titles with good--but not the best--recruiting and no coaching. You have to know something about the game of basketball to win national titles, and Gillispie doesn't know jack about the rules or strategy.

Here is my lock down prediction: Gillispie will survive this year but Meeks and Patterson go to the NBA. We don't make the tournament. Next years team looks like a carbon copy of this years team only less experienced. Orton plays the role of Patterson, Hood plays the role of Meeks, and Vilarino plays the role of Porter. Liggins sucks as much next year as he does this year. Miller really steps his game up, but he isn't quite good enough to be more than the third option. We go 17-11, not making the tournament for the second year in a row. Gillispie has no answers, because he can't figure out what is wrong, so he just mutters about toughness to hide his lack of a basketball IQ, and gets fired.

I gotta say I'm right there with you. Quite frankly, Tubby is a just as good recruiter. Gillispie's 2008 class was 6th in the SEC (6th?). This current class is #2 though.

I think Gillispie's recruiting is so trivial. He says he wants to recruit the tallest and best players... that's great and all. But, sometimes it's better have a 6'1 PG that can handle the system than a 6'6 point forward trying to run the system. I think we need to focus more on positions in recruiting and less on this guy is taller than that guy, so we're gonna go after him.

As for national titles... anybody that's ever won a national title has had lady luck on their side.

kentubbybasketball
02-05-2009, 11:44 AM
I was kidding about Pel. Maybe in 5+ years, but I'm still sticking behind our coach even if he did root for Puke in 1992. The play I'm seeing now is more of the players not performing than the Coach underperforming.

I thought we were hitting our stride just right and playing scrappy ball, but it's just like we forgot how to win. I'm not faulting all that on Gillispie...yet.

Sky, Gillispie probably should have called a timeout against USC when we were up 1. You've got UK's best free throw shooter ever maybe on your team. Why not set it up where you can get him the ball instead of Stevenson, who is a good FT shooter himself, but not Jodie Meeks or even Patrick Patterson.

Then, why try to draw a charge when you're down 1 have three seconds left with the ball? The refs aren't gonna be baited by that, not even in Rupp Arena.

That was just the USC game. I think tactically our coaching isn't what it has been, so that requires the players being even better.

Gillispie makes a few adjustments in games where we have a bad strategy also. There's next to no play calling from the sidelines, and it's not like we've got a guy like Rajon Rondo out there that can call the plays himself from the lead spot.

Dee Bost makes a stupid bounce pass and Rick Stansbury let's him play thru that mistake. G takes people out for simple mistakes (we're not gonna be perfect, and his coaching certainly isn't), so I don't understand that. This team doesn't seem to be responding to that kind of coaching right now. If you're gonna say practice determines PT, how do you explain taking guys out for mistakes just about all the time?

I think we execute our offense well most of the time though and defense is good, so that is a kudos to Gillispie, but to put this on the players is somewhat unfair IMO. I'm still behind GIllispie, but I do think there are some changes he could possibly make just to even seem if they'd improve results.

kentubbybasketball
02-05-2009, 11:50 AM
And, the Travis Ford stuff makes no sense to me. He did get Eastern to the NCAAT, but he never even got UMass there, and he had a losing record at Eastern. I know he's a favorite son, but that's kind of risky to put this job in those hands based on resume right now.

cock15
02-07-2009, 10:02 PM
The Gamecocks will! And going in already suppose to be in the tournament, walking in with our SEC Championship trophy.

Bubba
02-08-2009, 01:09 AM
didnt read anything other than the title.

Pelphreys not going anywhere..... for a while.

hes in love with arkansas and respects the position.

timings not right for him personally i believe.

batmanthelegend
02-08-2009, 02:28 AM
Please take Pelphrey off our hands!

OffThePorch
02-08-2009, 09:24 AM
imo UK should bring Petino back if Billy doesnt work out. it was a great match... & he isnt an old man.

steelyvan
02-08-2009, 09:44 AM
if CBG doesn't work out, UK should go hire "The General" Robert Montgomery Knight. that would be the most unlogical, best choice out there.

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2009, 11:28 AM
That's too unlogical to happen though. Bobby Knight hates Kentucky. He once accused us for breaking NCAA rules, he once slapped one of our coaches during a game. Pretty much, we might as well bring back Eddie Sutton before turning to Coach Knight. Plus, I don't feel like he would give us the best chance to excel.

statesboroblues
02-09-2009, 11:49 AM
I am not understanding the Pelphrey thing at all...What has he done on the court to warrant even being mentioned in this thread. Considering he was Arkansas second choice I just don't see UK looking @ him until he has proven himself...I believe he is a good coach, don't get me wrong but I thought it was a stretch for Arkansas much less UK.

"Eat a Peach"

steelyvan
02-09-2009, 12:04 PM
kt, Knight hated UK. But if they showed him the love (and a contract) he'd love them back.

SkyAntoine
02-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Sky, Gillispie probably should have called a timeout against USC when we were up 1. You've got UK's best free throw shooter ever maybe on your team. Why not set it up where you can get him the ball instead of Stevenson, who is a good FT shooter himself, but not Jodie Meeks or even Patrick Patterson.

Then, why try to draw a charge when you're down 1 have three seconds left with the ball? The refs aren't gonna be baited by that, not even in Rupp Arena.

That was just the USC game. I think tactically our coaching isn't what it has been, so that requires the players being even better.

I can't disagree with any of that, but I threw out logical coaching with Billy Clyde last year. Between no zone, starting Coury and substitution patterns, it doesn't take long to realize BCG isn't your run of the mill coach.

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2009, 02:32 PM
I am not understanding the Pelphrey thing at all...What has he done on the court to warrant even being mentioned in this thread. Considering he was Arkansas second choice I just don't see UK looking @ him until he has proven himself...I believe he is a good coach, don't get me wrong but I thought it was a stretch for Arkansas much less UK.

"Eat a Peach"

Agreed... but Pel was actually their 7th choice down in Fayetteville... he's just the second guy to take the job.