Pat Summitt and 1000 [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Pat Summitt and 1000

kentubbybasketball
02-02-2009, 04:17 PM
I'm surprised nobody has started a thread like this already. Coach Summitt sits at 999 wins... she's going for 1000 tonight against Sherri Coale and Oklahoma.

IMO, Pat Summitt is the greatest coach in any sport for any gender in the history of athletics. The ultimate best is right here in our league.

Rocky@theTop
02-02-2009, 05:01 PM
Gonna be a really tough one. The game being in OKC instead of Norman may help. They may be one of the few who can challenge UConn this season.

I think UConn is a clear cut #1, but 2-15 is a toss up.

OffThePorch
02-02-2009, 05:32 PM
hope it comes tonight.. but whenever it comes... CONGRATS!

Orangetd88
02-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Down 41-36 at the half...

Rocky@theTop
02-02-2009, 07:51 PM
44-42 OU with about 16 minutes to go.

Rocky@theTop
02-02-2009, 08:33 PM
VOLS lose 80-70 to #2 OU, but they manage to stop Courtney Paris' streak of 113 straight double/doubles.

They played well in stretches, but this is what you get with 1 senior and 6 freshmen and 4 sophs.

Rocky@theTop
02-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Next game for Lady VOLS and Pat Summitt's 1000 win try... Oil Slick and the Lady Dawgs of UGA.

OffThePorch
02-02-2009, 08:44 PM
dang. she'll get it soon enough.

bballpro408
02-02-2009, 08:45 PM
OU just has too much talent and we're so young still.

I hope Baugh will be ok, but by all indications so far, it's looking rough.

oldblu
02-03-2009, 10:10 AM
As a side note , I'd like to offer this observation. Wow !--- Is the OU coach hot or what ? Any one remember Markie Post ? :think:

Rocky@theTop
02-03-2009, 09:28 PM
I feel for Coale and OU when the come to Knoxville next year. Sherri was nothing but classless leaving her starters in until the very end. She had UT whipped. I understand keeping CP in (until she fouled out), but the others was nothing but poor sportsmanship.

bballpro408
02-05-2009, 04:24 PM
UT plays Georgia tonight for win #1,000.

I wish I could be there but I have previous commitments. History will be made very soon.

OffThePorch
02-05-2009, 04:46 PM
good luck!

GoBigO
02-05-2009, 04:52 PM
What an awesome feat...let's hope she gets it tonight in front of the VOL faithful.

OffThePorch
02-05-2009, 08:03 PM
Congrats!

Bamadan
02-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Done!!! Congrats, Coach Summitt!!! :clap::cheers:

georgiaguy31015
02-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Congrats to Summitt and 1000 wins. I just hate she had to destroy Georgia tonight to get it.

bballpro408
02-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Ok you guys can correct me if I'm wrong here.... and I hope I don't sound too homerish.... but I feel like Pat is one of those coaches that people root for that don't even affiliate themselves with UT. She's just done things the right way.

Way to go, Pat. Your legend grows.

orange&white
02-05-2009, 11:20 PM
Congrats Pat!

kentubbybasketball
02-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Ok you guys can correct me if I'm wrong here.... and I hope I don't sound too homerish.... but I feel like Pat is one of those coaches that people root for that don't even affiliate themselves with UT. She's just done things the right way.

Way to go, Pat. Your legend grows.

I know that UK fans adore her. But, I'm a UT Lady Vol fan, since I grew up there for part of my childhood.

It seems like she loved that necklace she was given last night. Beyond a shadow of a doubt, she's the best coach in the history of all sports. It's astonishing what she's done, and the fact that she's not complacent after 8 titles is unbelievable. She has a 100% graduation rate also. She's a mother to so many of those student athletes that have come thru there. Why wouldn't you just admire her even if you hate all the rest of UT athletics.

And, something can be said for who she beat to get 1000. Andy Landers and her (with Coach Ciampi at Auburn) are what kep this league afloat in the late 1980s-early 1990s.

OffThePorch
02-06-2009, 02:13 PM
i heard she got an extension.. going for another 1000.

kentubbybasketball
02-06-2009, 02:27 PM
bballpro408, what do you think about Coach Summitt having a 1000 wins but not even 200 losses yet. Isn't that just mindblowing. And, I'd say she's got hopefully at least another 15 years in her, getting her to around 70 with hopefully 12 or more titles to boot.

Rocky@theTop
02-06-2009, 02:31 PM
With a 1000 wins... maybe Wooden's record is next. ;)

GDawg88
02-06-2009, 02:32 PM
They were discussing on ESPN today how successful Summitt could be coaching men. Personally, I don't think she be able to do it. I don't think she'd be able to command the respect of 18-22 year old guys, and I don't know how well she'd be able to recruit. It's an interesting question nonetheless.

Any other misogynists out there agree with me?

kentubbybasketball
02-06-2009, 02:34 PM
I think even if she gets that elusive 11th championship, people will still say his came in a span of 12 years, which is true... but 12 titles no matter what the length of time is unbelievable and I think if the domination isn't as concentrated (like 10 in 12 years), it's even more impressive... she's won in two different generations now.

Right now, a 9th championship (unlikely this year with that painfully young team) would tie her with Phil Jackson and Red Auerbach in the NBA.

Pat says her sights are set on St. Louis, but what I find even more impressive than 8 titles and like 18 final fours, is that she's made every single Sweet 16 of every single year.

kentubbybasketball
02-06-2009, 02:37 PM
They were discussing on ESPN today how successful Summitt could be coaching men. Personally, I don't think she be able to do it. I don't think she'd be able to command the respect of 18-22 year old guys, and I don't know how well she'd be able to recruit. It's an interesting question nonetheless.

Any other misogynists out there agree with me?

No, I respectfully disagree. I do think women's basketball gets a bad rap, and maybe at first it would be an adjustment... but what mother out there wouldn't want her son playing for Pat Summitt?

Obviously, there's more contenders year in and year out with the men, but I think Pat would win a national title. At the end of the day coaching is coaching, and as long as she got players (which I don't think would be a problem), I think she'd outcoach just about anybody.

There's been 8 UT men's basketball coaches in her tenure. I think she would have had more success coaching them than anybody has had or is having (and that does include Coach Pearl).

But, you're not a misogynist for believing that she wouldn't be as successful... she wouldn't win 8 titles coaching men like she's done with women, but that's not because she couldn't handle the rigors of coaching men.

GDawg88
02-06-2009, 02:41 PM
No, I respectfully disagree. I do think women's basketball gets a bad rap, and maybe at first it would be an adjustment... but what mother out there wouldn't want her son playing for Pat Summitt?

Obviously, there's more contenders year in and year out with the men, but I think Pat would win a national title. At the end of the day coaching is coaching, and as long as she got players (which I don't think would be a problem), I think she'd outcoach just about anybody.

There's been 8 UT men's basketball coaches in her tenure. I think she would have had more success coaching them than anybody has had or is having (and that does include Coach Pearl).

But, you're not a misogynist for believing that she wouldn't be as successful... she wouldn't win 8 titles coaching men like she's done with women, but that's not because she couldn't handle the rigors of coaching men.
Yeah, the misogynist comment was tongue-in-cheek. I'm awed by what Summitt has been able to do. 1,000 wins will never be topped at any level with the impatience there is with coaches nowadays, IMO.

I think Summitt definitely has the basketball acumen to match wits with any man, but so much of basketball, especially at the college level, is motivating your players. I just don't know if Summitt, or any woman, could resonate with young men.

OffThePorch
02-06-2009, 02:41 PM
no way to know. doesnt even matter. Pat Summitt is a Legend.

kentubbybasketball
02-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Being a teacher, I see how some teachers can relate to high school boys and some can't. Some women and men are great at it, and some quite frankly, suck. I think as long as you develop a relationship (that's what recruiting and coaching are really), you can get them to do anything. Pat Summitt would motivate people.

I think some guys maybe would be embarrassed to have a woman coach, but this is still Pat Summitt... so even if the boys are ribbing you about it, you can still say it's Pat Summitt.

Let me ask you this. Geno Auriemma is the second best women's coach of alltime. He's got 8 final fours and 5 titles at UConn... plus two undefeated seasons in 1995 and 2002. How would he fair coaching men?

I do think the 1000 will be topped by others... maybe even by Bobby Knight, coaching your boys down in Athens. I think Billy Donovan could top it in his career, since he got a young start. Nobody may top her final win count, but others will get to 1000 and over IMO, people like Adolph Rupp and Dean Smith were a little over a 100 wins from the milestone and they began coaching when you might play 28 games in a season.

GDawg88
02-06-2009, 02:49 PM
Let me ask you this. Geno Auriemma is the second best women's coach of alltime. He's got 8 final fours and 5 titles at UConn... plus two undefeated seasons in 1995 and 2002. How would he fair coaching men?

That's a great question. I've always wondered why he never made the jump to the men's game. Maybe he just wanted to build his legacy at UConn. I think he'd be a lot easier sell to fans of a men's program than a woman.

GoBigO
02-06-2009, 04:45 PM
http://media.knoxnews.com/kns/content/img/photos/2009/02/06/mega_poster_summitt1000-03.jpg

Congrats, Pat! She is college basketball!

bballpro408
02-07-2009, 12:14 AM
bballpro408, what do you think about Coach Summitt having a 1000 wins but not even 200 losses yet. Isn't that just mindblowing. And, I'd say she's got hopefully at least another 15 years in her, getting her to around 70 with hopefully 12 or more titles to boot.

It's incredible. I started watching her teams when Chamique Holdsclaw was a sophomore and they had Michelle Marciniak (sp?). I've always had a great respect for what she does.

I saw the other day that her winning percentage of 84% was only third all-time for the women's game. I assume Geno is one that is ahead of her there, but I wonder who the other one is. Maybe the Duke coach?

I'd like to see Geno go to the men's game and get his butt handed to him. Not that I think it would necessarily, but I'd like to see it.

Pat is going to be one of those all-time sports icons when everything is said and done (she already is). I hope she can continue with the success she's been having. Hopefully next year when all these first and second year players get another year under their belts, we can begin to make another serious run at a national title. I don't see us making the Final Four this year.

kentubbybasketball
02-07-2009, 09:46 AM
I'm not sure who the other coach is that's ahead of her, but it's certainly not Duke's coach. I think you're thinking about former Duke coach Gail Goestenkors, but she left for Texas last season... Duke's current coach is Joanne McCallie, and although Coach McCallie has coached in the national title game before at Michigan State, she had to build that program, so she's likely not above 84% winning. Coach Goestenkors might be the other coach though.

I think the biggest thing that hurts UT this year is injuries. I mean, we've got Vicki Baugh out right now, and at 6'5 that's not size that's easily-replaced. Not to mention Shekinna Stricklen got injured in this game. But, with Glory Johnson and Angie Bjorklund (sp?) I think we've got enough offense to at least challenge for the Final Four. Having seven frosh is not easy.

bballpro408
02-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Yeah I meant the old one. I forgot she replaced Conradt.

kentubbybasketball
02-07-2009, 10:15 AM
Coach G was at .790 heading into this season, so it's not her either. I'm not sure who's ahead Coach Summitt then besides Geno.

bballpro408
02-07-2009, 10:51 AM
It's Leon Barmore formerly of La Tech.

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats/w_basketball_RB/2009/Coaching.pdf

kentubbybasketball
02-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Ah, makes perfect sense. I don't know how I forgot about him. Probably because Pat Summitt overshadowed him and everybody else in the sport.LOL

He was something. Coached Teresa Weatherspoon. Had Nell Fortner on his staff.