Bob Knight interested in UGA job [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Bob Knight interested in UGA job

GDawg88
01-31-2009, 09:03 PM
Holy ****, make this happen, Damon...

If you are one of those Bulldogs deeply distressed about the course of basketball at the University of Georgia, I have promising news for you. How would you like to have Bob Knight coaching your team?

This is the man who won 902 games, most in college history, then decided it was time to find life outside Lubbock, Texas. Nothing wrong with Lubbock, but when he went to Texas Tech about six years ago, it was like setting up shop in a desert, as college basketball goes. When he suddenly quit about a year ago, he thought he’d had enough. Georgia offers another kind of chance in a highly visible conference.

It can be done, but as you’d imagine, only if done his way. His way:

“He doesn’t want it to look as if he’s pursuing the job. He’d like to be offered it, and if offered, he’d take it,” said a mutual friend, who did not want to be named but was willing for this columnist to report Knight’s interest.

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/bisher/entries/2009/01/31/bob_knight_interested_in_uga_j.html

Djshockley3
01-31-2009, 09:07 PM
WOW, that would be huge if we could get Knight.

steelyvan
01-31-2009, 09:23 PM
He's been mentioned in the Bama search, too. The Bama community seems split on the idea. Interesting to see what happens if CBK wants back into coaching, wherever.

HunkerDown
01-31-2009, 10:02 PM
That would be so freaking Awesome. Please do that Damon.

fodive
01-31-2009, 10:04 PM
Would you guys really want him?

Tennessee
01-31-2009, 10:04 PM
Calipari to Bama and Knight to UGA???

The coaching talent level could take a major jump next year...

GDawg88
01-31-2009, 10:18 PM
He wins and runs a clean program. Sure, he'd probably only be around for three or four years, but he'd get us to the NCAA Tournament every one of those years.

I'm skeptical about whether Evans has the stones to offer him the job, though.

Tennessee
01-31-2009, 10:31 PM
Dickie V lobbying Bob Knight for the job right now on National TV

HunkerDown
01-31-2009, 10:42 PM

Absolutely.

HunkerDown
01-31-2009, 10:43 PM
Calipari to Bama and Knight to UGA???

The coaching talent level could take a major jump next year...

Would be awesome.

BamaHoHo
01-31-2009, 11:15 PM
Cant find a link, but he has also been mentioned for the Bama job.

sabanocchio
01-31-2009, 11:28 PM
Good luck on that. I would love to see Knight in the SEC. It would definitely add more relevance to the league.

ugabrad
01-31-2009, 11:34 PM
Man, I never liked Bobby Knight at Indiana, so I'm not sure that I'm in favor of his coaching in Athens. The Dawgs could sure use a coach of his calibre, though...

georgiaguy31015
01-31-2009, 11:40 PM
The guy has anger management issues and that's a fact but then again so do I lol. The difference Knight is a winner and I'm not sure we would keep him long but if he wants to come here and if Evans wants to make Georgia a big time player in college basketball then he should do it. This should almost be a no brainer.

cock15
01-31-2009, 11:49 PM
He wont do it.

IllinoisDawg63
02-01-2009, 09:24 AM
He wins and runs a clean program. Sure, he'd probably only be around for three or four years, but he'd get us to the NCAA Tournament every one of those years.

I'm skeptical about whether Evans has the stones to offer him the job, though.Yes, despite Knights' tantrums, he has always made sure
students had their academics up to snuff. He just doesn't take ridiculous crap from players.

Herchel
02-01-2009, 09:54 AM
He wont do it.

He has already said he will take the job, if offered. Tubby better hurry up.

The only question is if an egomaniac like Adams will let Evans hire him.

SkyAntoine
02-01-2009, 10:53 AM
I would love to see Knight at UGA. It would be great for the SEC.

scgamecock312
02-01-2009, 10:57 AM
IMO...UGA needs to go out and hire a good young coach like Anthony Grant. Bobby Knight is not going to coach that many years even if he were to take the job. Tubby would be dumb to leave Minnesota right now with what he is building.

georgiaguy31015
02-01-2009, 11:50 AM

If Adams doesn't allow Evans to hire Knight then Adams should be run out of town. He won't be because apparently he's sleeping with every member of the board of regents and he's apparently very good at it but he should be ran out of town if not tarred and feathered first.

skydogj
02-01-2009, 12:21 PM
I love Bob Knight!!

Herchel
02-01-2009, 01:09 PM
If Adams doesn't allow Evans to hire Knight then Adams should be run out of town. He won't be because apparently he's sleeping with every member of the board of regents and he's apparently very good at it but he should be ran out of town if not tarred and feathered first.

He fired Dooley, so he obviously has the power. In addition, he is a big buddy of Miles Brand, who fired Knight.

scgamecock312
02-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Bob Knight cannot recruit anymore...please tell me one big time player he had while at Texas Tech.

georgiaguy31015
02-01-2009, 01:21 PM
He fired Dooley, so he obviously has the power. In addition, he is a big buddy of Miles Brand, who fired Knight.

True on Dooley and that can't be good about Brand. However, he did overrule Dooley and went with the go ahead to fire Donnan and hire Richt so he's capable of doing something right.

scgamecock312
02-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Would you Georgia fans be happy with Anthony Grant? I think he is a great hire.

georgiaguy31015
02-01-2009, 01:25 PM

I'd be cautiously optimistic. Grant seems to be a great coach but I'm worried because if he got the Georgia job it would be his first big time gig. That didn't work out with Felton.

AlaGator
02-01-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm kinda wary of him. I am not sure I would want him, even though he is a good coach. But he isn't a patient man and he is abusive. I would worry how he was treating the players.

georgiaguy31015
02-01-2009, 01:29 PM
I'm kinda wary of him. I am not sure I would want him, even though he is a good coach. But he isn't a patient man and he is abusive. I would worry how he was treating the players.

It hasn't seemed to stop players from wanting to play for him in the past and I'm not sure it would now either.

scgamecock312
02-01-2009, 01:29 PM
I'd be cautiously optimistic. Grant seems to be a great coach but I'm worried because if he got the Georgia job it would be his first big time gig. That didn't work out with Felton.

We took a chance on Darrin Horn and it's paying off on the court and off so far.

georgiaguy31015
02-01-2009, 01:31 PM
We took a chance on Darrin Horn and it's paying off on the court and off so far.

Sometimes those hires work and sometimes they don't. They have at SC thus far but they didn't at Georgia with Felton regardless of Harrick. I'd be fairly pleased with Grant if Georgia got him but like I said I'd be very cautious as well.

AlaGator
02-01-2009, 01:34 PM
It hasn't seemed to stop players from wanting to play for him in the past and I'm not sure it would now either.

If you are interested in him, I hope he comes to coach for you. Good luck!

scgamecock312
02-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Sometimes those hires work and sometimes they don't. They have at SC thus far but they didn't at Georgia with Felton regardless of Harrick. I'd be fairly pleased with Grant if Georgia got him but like I said I'd be very cautious as well.

I just think Georgia needs a coach that is going to be there for a while and I don't see that with Knight.

OffThePorch
02-01-2009, 01:35 PM
If UGA can get Coach Knight i think they should. give him at least a 5 year contract so he can recruit.

georgiaguy31015
02-01-2009, 01:36 PM
I just think Georgia needs a coach that is going to be there for a while and I don't see that with Knight.

I don't either honestly but what I'm thinking is that if Georgia gets Knight he can build them back up and then when the time comes they can get another good coach.

scgamecock312
02-01-2009, 01:42 PM
I don't see Bob Knight staying anywhere for 5 years.

OffThePorch
02-01-2009, 01:44 PM
I don't see Bob Knight staying anywhere for 5 years.

thats not the point.

scgamecock312
02-01-2009, 01:49 PM
thats not the point.

So you want to hire a coach for 2 years and then go through the whole process again.

Hogger
02-01-2009, 01:58 PM
So, I guess now UGA fans are okay with coaches that quit midseason?

;)

OffThePorch
02-01-2009, 01:58 PM
So you want to hire a coach for 2 years and then go through the whole process again.

you hire him for 5 years to draw in recruits. maybe he stays the 5 years as HC. almost guarenteed to leave the program in a lot better shaper than it is now no matter if thats 2 years or 5 years. he is a great Coach.

scgamecock312
02-01-2009, 02:25 PM
you hire him for 5 years to draw in recruits. maybe he stays the 5 years as HC. almost guarenteed to leave the program in a lot better shaper than it is now no matter if thats 2 years or 5 years. he is a great Coach.

I agree he is a great coach...but please tell me what "great" recruits he pulled in at Texas Tech.

Djshockley3
02-01-2009, 02:34 PM
I agree he is a great coach...but please tell me what "great" recruits he pulled in at Texas Tech.

Georgia has some of the best high school b-ball talent in the country.

GDawg88
02-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Knight is not a great recruiter, but that's just part of the package with him. What he will get is hard-working kids who know how to play and will be solid four-year guys.

Knight has won hundreds of games without great talent, just because of his basketball genius. He did it at Indiana for decades, the occasional Isiah Thomas notwithstanding.

HunkerDown
02-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Georgia has some of the best high school b-ball talent in the country.

Unfortunately none of them ever come to UGA.

Herchel
02-01-2009, 03:37 PM
Bob Knight cannot recruit anymore...please tell me one big time player he had while at Texas Tech.

How many times did he make the tournament? TT is a bball wasteland. All UGA has to do is recruit Metro ATL.

Herchel
02-01-2009, 03:38 PM

I suggested Grant earlier.

Herchel
02-01-2009, 03:41 PM

;)

LMAO. He didn't leave in the middle of the night. In fact, he didn't leave. He turned HC duries over to his son, with the President's approval.

Hogger
02-01-2009, 04:08 PM
LMAO. He didn't leave in the middle of the night. In fact, he didn't leave. He turned HC duries over to his son, with the President's approval.

Bobby Knight didn't leave? That's hilarious.

georgiaguy31015
02-01-2009, 04:35 PM

;)

Nevermind

georgiaguy31015
02-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Unfortunately none of them ever come to UGA.

With the right coach they will and Knight very well could be that guy.

OffThePorch
02-01-2009, 04:49 PM
i can imagine Knight at MSU with the talent we've had. damn.

gatormaniac
02-01-2009, 05:42 PM
Having Knight in the SEC would be great! He might even surpass the Tebow thread count here...

fodive
02-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Seems lie a Spurrier to SC kind of thing, to be honest.

Better than the rat-bastard Harrick who had to get cheat and get fired and cost me a student manager job...

Heck Pup
02-01-2009, 06:00 PM

Exactly.

Better than the rat-bastard Harrick who had to get cheat and get fired and cost me a student manager job...

You were going to work for the Harrick duo?

georgiaguy31015
02-01-2009, 06:42 PM

Even if it is like Spurrier to SC this is Georgia basketball which in all reality has been dead since Harrick so if he can come in and Georgia be so so that's a lot better than where they have been in a while. You gotta start somewhere.

fodive
02-01-2009, 10:03 PM
Exactly.

You were going to work for the Harrick duo?

Yes. One of my teachers in HS, who I TA'd for had a son who played for Harrick at UCLA and were real close...

akddawg
02-01-2009, 11:17 PM

Not only no, but h#** no! He is 68 years old and quit mid season at Texas Tech. Everyone will rightfully be recruiting against him by saying he will not be around your whole career in Athens.

akddawg
02-01-2009, 11:23 PM

I read on another board that in his last three years at Texas Tech he won a whopping 4 games more than Felton did in the same time period. We don't need a has been coach.

Heck Pup
02-02-2009, 12:09 AM
Jeremy Schaap will jump out from behind a bush on him with a shotgun mike and a beta max camera – and Knight will slug him.

Optik
02-02-2009, 12:10 AM

I hadn't thought about that, could you imagine the clash of wills between those two? I would LOVE to have Knight come to UGA, that would finally give us some serious credibility in CBB. And GG, Adams should have been run out of town years ago, man...

I think Grant is more likely and would still be a fantastic hire, maybe the better one in the long run.

Optik
02-02-2009, 12:15 AM
I read on another board that in his last three years at Texas Tech he won a whopping 4 games more than Felton did in the same time period. We don't need a has been coach.

That was TT, and UGA is not TT. As has already been said many times, GA is very rich in HS basketball talent, and UGA has the ability to field a NC caliber team if we could get a good coach and get recruiting going in the right direction. I don't think he is a has been, he just needs some talent and TT is devoid of it. TT will never be on the level that UGA has the potential to be on.

ECDawg78
02-02-2009, 08:33 AM
Adams is not gonna let it happen IMO...........It will be a head coach from somewhere, but I just don't see it being Knight under any circumstances.........

IllinoisDawg63
02-02-2009, 09:16 AM
I don't see Knight coming to UGA myself. But if he should be offered and comes, it should prove beneficial. Not sure if he's ever had any health problems or not-he's nowhere near the age of Paterno though. Knight must have a connection to schools having red-Indiana, Texas Tech and now UGA could be the 3rd. We all know Knight face gets that red when he's pissed!!

OffThePorch
02-02-2009, 10:03 AM
from this weekend. this wont help Knight. memories.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78r7lp3pEuE

Dollar Theater
02-02-2009, 11:58 AM
I like Knight, but he's done. It's definitely a Spurrier to SC type move. You get him for the name power, you might win a few more games, but you're not going to get to that next level. Georgia needs to do what SC's basketball program did and hire a young guy with fire and passion, who wants to make a name for himself. Anthony Grant would be perfect.

Herchel
02-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Felton was supposed to be a great hire too.

kentubbybasketball
02-02-2009, 04:29 PM
Coach Knight is obviously posturing for this job. I don't understand why UGA wouldn't be interested, especially considering Coach Knight is Coach Knight. He's one of the top 4 or 5 coaches of all-time, so he'd instantly be the SEC's best. I think he'd make UGA relevant that's for sure, but I'm not sure if he's got another final four or national championship in him... although he did get Texas Tech to a Sweet 16 with Ronald Ross.

Coach Knight has mellowed a little bit, but you still have to be concerned about if he loses his temper, but he will win.

Recruiting will be interesting. A lot of younger guys (my generation) don't really relate with him... if given the choice, they'd probably play for Billy Donovan over him (and that's understandable). At Tech he was forced to go JUCO as a result, but he had a lot of competiton in the state of Texas. That won't be the case as much in Georgia, but people will still come in and recruit the talent.

Hopefully, this stops the bellyaching over Tubby Smith. What's interesting though is Bobby Knight said he would have taken the Minnesota job provided Tubby turned it down. I can understand wanting Tubby over Coach Knight at this point, but getting Coach Knight isn't all that bad. This is still a tough division though.

georgiaguy31015
02-02-2009, 09:58 PM
Adams is not gonna let it happen IMO...........It will be a head coach from somewhere, but I just don't see it being Knight under any circumstances.........

That's what I'm afraid of and starting to worry about myself. If that happens and if it's because of Adams and Georgia basketball still continues to tank then his ass should be fired along with the new coach but Adams is here for as long as he wants it appears which is a travesty.

socalwildcat
02-02-2009, 10:07 PM
I like Knight, but he's done. It's definitely a Spurrier to SC type move. You get him for the name power, you might win a few more games, but you're not going to get to that next level. Georgia needs to do what SC's basketball program did and hire a young guy with fire and passion, who wants to make a name for himself. Anthony Grant would be perfect.

You are so right. Knight is a big name and would improve UGA, but won't take them to the next level. A bad hire imo.

Bacon
02-03-2009, 01:23 AM
I can't stand Bobby Knight. His ego surpassed his coaching skills some time ago. What a frickin' *****. He's the perfect fit for UGA though. I'm actually surprised he's not an alum.

ECDawg78
02-03-2009, 08:23 AM
UGA would be foolish to hire Knight
By Mark Bradley | Monday, February 2, 2009, 12:23 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Bobby Knight has won more games than any men’s Division I coach ever, but the unfortunate reality is that he has done it while acting like a little boy. That’s why, to me, he’ll always be “Bobby” Knight, not the more grown-up “Bob” he prefers. At 68, he’s still a brat.

We see it again now. Knight has let it be known he wants to coach Georgia, but according to Furman Bisher’s “mutual friend,” “he doesn’t want it to look like he’s pursuing the job.” Sad to say, that remains the Knight way.

He considers himself above the process, above the sport itself. He’s in it for Knight and his legacy. He would use Georgia the way he used Texas Tech — to win a few more games and draw a hundred more huzzahs from his amen corner on ESPN, and then he’d wake up on the wrong side of the bed and decide he’d rather go off and kill some animals.

The folks at Texas Tech looked the other way when Knight upbraided a university chancellor in a grocery store and when he chucked a player under the chin. For their forbearance, here’s what they got — three NCAA tournament victories in 6 1/2 years, a Big 12 record of 53-49 and Knight’s overmatched offspring as head coach. It was almost exactly a year ago that Knight, pleading fatigue, quit on his team. Today the Red Raiders are 11-10 and Pat Knight was just ejected from a game for charging onto the court (twice!).

And Bobby Knight, presumably refreshed, is ready to come coach Georgia.

And here’s what Georgia should say to the General: “No, sir!”

The Bulldogs have already paid the price for recycling one famous coach with a pockmarked history. Knight wouldn’t bring the same sort of dishonor to Athens that Jim Harrick did — Knight has no history of NCAA violations — but he would embarrass the school all the same. He can’t help himself. He’s Bobby Knight, who has never admitted he was wrong despite a lifetime of opportunities.

There was a time when he won big enough to override the inevitable “incidents,” but that time was a quarter-century ago. Seventeen different men have won NCAA titles since Knight took his final one, and 36 different men have taken teams to the Final Four since last Knight made it. It isn’t that his motion offense has ceased to work; it’s that he cannot find and keep good enough players to make it work well. (At Texas Tech, he was 9-28 against Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas.)

Dennis Felton failed largely because he couldn’t sign enough of the players developed in Georgia. Question: Who was the last truly gifted player to labor under Knight? Calbert Cheaney, who was a senior in 1993?

Put simply, no latter-day big-timer will put up with the abuse Knight puts out. After the late Jason Collier transferred from Indiana to Georgia Tech, I asked what kind of guy it took to coexist with Knight.

Said Collier: “There isn’t one.”

As strange as it sounds, the school that has won one NCAA game in the past 12 seasons — and then had to forfeit — can do better than the man who has won three national titles. Sure, he’d draw the knee-jerk raves from Digger and Dickie V. and Fran Fraschilla, but he wouldn’t be able to recruit against Billy Donovan and Bruce Pearl and Billy Gillispie. He’d win some games and maybe eke out an NCAA bid, but then, a couple of years down the line, he’d again decide he’d “had enough.” And he’d leave Georgia high and dry.

Because he’s Bobby Knight and he does whatever he pleases. He’s the disciplinarian who, in 68 years, has never managed to discipline himself. He’s not quite the last guy Georgia needs — that’d be Jim Harrick Jr. — but he’s in the bottom five.

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/bradley/entries/2009/02/02/uga_would_be_foolish_to_hire_k.html

ECDawg78
02-03-2009, 08:55 AM
I can't stand Bobby Knight. His ego surpassed his coaching skills some time ago. What a frickin' *****. He's the perfect fit for UGA though. I'm actually surprised he's not an alum.

........written in the Bobby Knight style of his press conferences from 10 years ago.......