A Few Notes (Felton, Kentucky's Loss) [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : A Few Notes (Felton, Kentucky's Loss)

kentubbybasketball
01-30-2009, 12:03 PM
We were hit with a huge snow storm, and power still hasn't been restored completely. I didn't get to see the Ole Miss game, but I'll say congrats to Ole Miss. They've always been one of my favorite programs, and Coach Kennedy is competent at what he does... I've always said that.

As for Felton and UGA, I gotta say this comes as no surprise. UGA fans deserved better results, and I think they'll have to be smart with whom they hire. I just don't think it's gonna be Tubby Smith. He's got it rolling at Minnesota right now, embarrassing a ranked Illinois team just last night. I think Felton will land safely at a mid major.

I do think UGA shouldn't go after Tubby Smith just in the sense that obviously they could have went after him two years ago and chose not to.

steelyvan
01-30-2009, 12:26 PM
so what about Bama going after Tubby?

kentubbybasketball
01-30-2009, 12:31 PM
I see nothing that Bama can offer Tubby that he doesn't already have.

I just don't understand where all these SEC fans are coming from that want Tubby all of a sudden. Other than GD88 and gguy, none of you guys ever defended Tubby Smith while he was criticized by UK fans as an excellent coach. Now all of a sudden, you want him? I hope Tubby politely says "no" and moves on. Makes some of you sound like bandwagon fans, and I hope Tubby remembers he doesn't have to put up with that, since he is Tubby Smith (he did that with UK already). Who's to say some of these same Bama fans won't turn on him after his first loss as quickly as they jumped on the wagon?

UA37
01-30-2009, 12:39 PM
I miss Tubby. I hope he comes back to the SEC even if its to UGA.

kentubbybasketball
01-30-2009, 12:44 PM
I think Tubby has already done enough to satisfy anybody in this league. He's won more SEC divison titles than anybody in history... anybody. 5 SEC titles, 5 SECT titles, 7 SEC finals, a national championship, 7 Sweet 16s, 4 Elite 8s.... he's already dominated the SEC, in the tougher division.

I think Tubby fits in better in the Big Ten, with all those other elite coaches up there. I hope he doesn't come back to the SEC, because I don't see UK opening up anytime soon.

HunkerDown
01-30-2009, 12:55 PM
I was VERY upset when Tubby left for UK. That was a huge blow to our program. Almost as big as the Harrick crap.

UA37
01-30-2009, 12:58 PM
Tubby's an SEC coach. He needs to come home. I hear Bama is going to make a big offer to him when the time comes. He'll probably say no, but we're going to at least take a chance.

kentubbybasketball
01-30-2009, 01:00 PM
To pigeon hole Tubby Smith as an SEC Coach is ridiculous when the man has won in the MVC and the Big ten as well. He's a basketball coach period... heck, he helped win this country an Olympic gold medal.

Go after Dennis Felton.

UA37
01-30-2009, 01:04 PM
To pigeon hole Tubby Smith as an SEC Coach is ridiculous when the man has won in the MVC and the Big ten as well. He's a basketball coach period... heck, he helped win this country an Olympic gold medal.

Go after Dennis Felton.

I didnt mean to pigeon hole the guy. That sounds horrible. It's a fact that he and his family has spent a ton of time in the SEC tho. He has ties to at least 33% of SEC schools.

kentubbybasketball
01-30-2009, 01:10 PM
And, he has ties to Minnesota as well.

But, if we want to get technical, it's more than 33%. He's got ties to Florida certainly, seeing as how he and Billy Donovan are very good friends and have coached together. What about ties to Arkansas, he was one of Pel's college coaches. I know Tubby knows his way around the South, but the man loves Minnesota.

UA37
01-30-2009, 01:13 PM
And, he has ties to Minnesota as well.

But, if we want to get technical, it's more than 33%. He's got ties to Florida certainly, seeing as how he and Billy Donovan are very good friends and have coached together. What about ties to Arkansas, he was one of Pel's college coaches. I know Tubby knows his way around the South, but the man loves Minnesota.

Yep, SEC must feel like home to him. He has it made in minnesota, so i wouldnt be shocked to see him stay there. I think his time may be running out tho so if he makes a move, now would be the time. I hope he does. IT's hard to get into a minnesota game. I'd much rather watch him in the SEC. It'd be good for our conference and awful for Kentucky, so i'd like it.

kentubbybasketball
01-30-2009, 01:18 PM
It's not hard to get into a Minnesota game. They're attendance is the highest it's ever been... sell-outs often. Plus, I'd imagine ratings are up with them being ranked.

Maryland could be coming open, and that's really "home," since that's his homestate... plus, that's a national basketball program, having won a title 7 years ago.