Embarrassing Side Of Sports [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassing Side Of Sports

Extra Point
01-29-2009, 03:06 PM
NW Arkansas has been devastated by winter storms this week. Power is still out (since Monday night) for 10's of thousands of residents with temp's getting down to mid-teens at night. The news at 10 last night said "hundreds of thousands" were without power (there are 460k NW AR residents). They even shut down the University from Tuesday until Monday for classes. Trees have fallen and are blocking main roads all over the area. I saw a report of a family of four who barely escaped death as they burned their house to the ground trying to use a kerosene stove to keep warm.

In order to have the basketball game tonight, SWEPCO (one of the power companies) is completely realigning the power grid JUST so they can play the ESPN-televised game tonight. That means people who have been without power for 3 days will once again have to manage in the frigid temperatures just so a basketball game can be played.

I can't tell you how embarrassed I am right now for the University of Arkansas, the City of Fayetteville and for sports in general. There are no available hotel rooms, most places have run out of basics such as milk, you can't get more firewoood, etc., but WE MUST play this game even if it means some kids around town will have to sleep with no heat again tonight.

Screw 'em...I'm not going to the game now.

Rocky@theTop
01-29-2009, 03:12 PM
I read the title and assumed we were talking about Andy Kennedy erectile problem.

fodive
01-29-2009, 03:14 PM
Well, at least you could argue that it'd generate a lot of money for the school/area?

Not really, though.

BergeLSU
01-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Gotta imagine that if this were a non-televised game, this wouldn't be happening.

I wonder if ESPN told the conference that this game needed to be played or the lost revenue would have made up somewhere else.

Just Some Hog Dude
01-29-2009, 03:22 PM
Entergy Corporation FTW

Extra Point
01-29-2009, 03:26 PM
Well, at least you could argue that it'd generate a lot of money for the school/area?

Not really, though.

They are letting all the students into the game whether you have a ticket or not. Their expectation is pretty low.

OK State did the same thing Monday night when they hosted OU (game on ESPN) and the place was packed. The winter storm hit the day of their game, though.

BergeLSU
01-29-2009, 03:32 PM
They are letting all the students into the game whether you have a ticket or not. Their expectation is pretty low.

OK State did the same thing Monday night when they hosted OU (game on ESPN) and the place was packed. The winter storm hit the day of their game, though.

Do students have to pay for tickets?

leland5
01-29-2009, 03:47 PM
My prayers.

Just Some Hog Dude
01-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Check out these pics from campus. Ice storms were an annoyance when I lived there. Fayetteville doesn't get a lot of snow but it seems to get the ice often enough.

http://arkansas.scout.com/2/834451.html

PiggoBitttys
01-30-2009, 12:55 AM
Do students have to pay for tickets?

Not this game, but normally any other game, yes. Tickets are $6 a game.