Appears Felton is done at 11am today [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Appears Felton is done at 11am today

Texaubie
01-29-2009, 09:28 AM
http://www.wsbtv.com/sports/18593816/detail.html#-

UA37
01-29-2009, 09:32 AM
Good for Georgia.

OffThePorch
01-29-2009, 09:42 AM
good luck! UGA getting a really good Coach.

HunkerDown
01-29-2009, 09:52 AM
Good.

Gatorbabe
01-29-2009, 09:58 AM
Please don't take Anthony Grant ... I don't know if I can handle seeing him in red & black. ;)

GatorMan32
01-29-2009, 11:25 AM
I think that will be a hard sell. Grant is genuinely happy there and its going to take a lot of commitment to the basketball program, considering its current state, to get him to seriously look that way. Grant is a smart guy. He doesn't want to make a move that hurts his career IMO. Too many coaches go from being hot mid major coaches to busts at the high d1 conference level because of taking a job they probably shouldn't have. With that in mind and the fact that he is truly happy where he is now, he is going to be selective.

By the way, I am not saying UGA can't become very good in basketball. People said it about us once and it takes the right coach to change that. All I am saying is there will need to be more commitment to the basketball program from the AD for that to happen. Foley's commitment, at the time, to Billy's vision and to building the program so that F4 run with Kruger would not prove to be a fluke was what really got him to take a risk on running the Gator program. Worked out well for all involved to say the least.

Coal_UGA
01-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Can a Mod or Admin merge this with the other thread.

If Grant is a smart guy he will look at the outstanding basketball talent coming out of Georgia each year and going to other schools and say if I can get just one or two of those guys each year i can turn this program around overnight.

GatorMan32
01-29-2009, 11:34 AM
There has to be a lot more commitment from the UGA administration to basketball IMO. Like you said, the talnt is there in their backyard but Duke, UNC, UF, UK, GT, Memphis, etc arent going to stop recruiting the area.

Coal_UGA
01-29-2009, 11:39 AM
The commitment is there if it was not Georgia would not have opened an $80 million practice facility last year.

You can look at Georgia's overall program success, Georgia is committed to putting out championship level programs at every sport including basketball, sticking with Felton for so long was not because we were not committed but because they wanted to totallly wash away the Herrick stain.

Djshockley3
01-29-2009, 12:12 PM
Dennis Felton has been fired as the head coach of the University of Georgia basketball program, UGASports has learned through several sources.
The decision was made early Thursday morning following the team's 83-57 loss to Florida Wednesday night in Gainesville.

Georgia has called an 11 a.m. press conference to discuss the change.

Felton leaves the Bulldogs with a career record of 84-91 in five-plus years as the Georgia coach, including a 9-11 mark, 0-5 in the SEC this year.

Assistant Pete Herrmann will take over in the interim.

The program is expected to immediately begin its search for a new coach. One name that has already been mentioned is Virginia Commonwealth coach Anthony Grant.