What have we learned so far? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : What have we learned so far?

steelyvan
01-28-2009, 10:14 PM
Anyone care to make random thoughts on the status of the league at this point?
OK, I will.
LSU, MSU and USC are a little better than I thought.
UT, Vandy and Arkansas are a little worse.
League is up for grabs.
Lots of youth.

fodive
01-28-2009, 10:16 PM
That a coach makes all the difference in the world. This team didn't add a soul, lost 1 player (Dwayne Day) and one coach - and has already exceeded last seasons win total.

Dawg
01-29-2009, 09:04 AM
Alabama - Exactly what I expected. Should be great with lots of talent/experience, but are underachieving. Absolutely horrendous offensive execution.

Arkansas - Completely shocked here. Never seen a team have such a high period of overachievement and then such underachievement to follow. I have a sneaky suspicion the 'Backs will wake up and take some big teams down later on this season, though.

Auburn - This team is better than their record, as they've played a tough SEC schedule. They won't challenge for the West, but they will help decide who gets there. Winning in Auburn isn't easy this season.

Florida - Florida has underperformed a bit, and doesn't have enough of an inside presence. Still a dangerous team with a great record who could surprise everyone and take the SEC.

Georgia - What I expected - Felton just isn't cuttin' it in Athens. What in the WORLD was Thompkins thinking?? 30th in the country and you go to play for Felton??

Kentucky - Certainly exceeded my expectations on the back of Meeks. I'm curious as to if Meeks/Patterson jump to the NBA this year, because that would leave the cupboard bare in Lexington - this team is VERY reliant on those two.

LSU - I knew this team should challenge for the West, but didn't realize it would compete well enough to challenge for the conference. Winning in Knoxville is huge. This team's rebounding and defense could bring the SEC championship back to the West this season.

Mississippi State - Probably one of the bigger surprises in the conference. Despite losing Rhodes/Gordon, seem to be poised to challenge for the West/SEC. But will the shooting stay hot on the road?

Ole Miss - I'd actually argue Ole Miss has surprised in a positive way as well. They've already won two conference games despite losing their top three players and having no true ball-handlers, and one over a ranked team. They certainly won't challenge for the division, but they're not rolling over either.

South Carolina - About on par with what I expected. With the amount of experience USC returns, it stands to logic that they would be competitive in the East. I don't think they'll be there at the end of the SEC season, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Tennessee - Strange how things change. UT has shyed away from Pearl's run-and-gun shooter-oriented offense and the team has struggled a lot more than I would expect. Still a very, very good team who will be in the NCAA's, but not dominant as everyone expected.

Vanderbilt - The 'Dores don't have a solid enough ball-handler or shooter for that matter, after all the good ones got used up. Now only Ogilvy is left - anyone think he probably should have left for the NBA last year? I expected Vandy to compete a bit more than they are, but their struggles make sense considering what they lost.

UA37
01-29-2009, 09:07 AM
That a coach makes all the difference in the world. This team didn't add a soul, lost 1 player (Dwayne Day) and one coach - and has already exceeded last seasons win total.

Or experience matters?

steelyvan
01-29-2009, 09:21 AM
Dawg,
Under Georgia you said "30th in the country and you go and play for Felton?"
I'm not understanding your point, what are you saying?
just curious

JRS
01-29-2009, 09:45 AM
Or experience matters?

So you are saying that if Odom was given another year he would be having the same success?

UA37
01-29-2009, 10:01 AM
So you are saying that if Odom was given another year he would be having the same success?

He would be having similar success. Odom was a good teacher of the game. Downey/Zam would be playing in their second year together. The euro guy is more experienced and more confident, same goes for your bigs.

JRS
01-29-2009, 10:18 AM
He would be having similar success. Odom was a good teacher of the game. Downey/Zam would be playing in their second year together. The euro guy is more experienced and more confident, same goes for your bigs.

I have to disagree. Odom is not the type of motivator that Horn is, plus Horn's system better fits the talent we currently have. Horn has also done a wonderful job bringing the students back to the arena. This program needed a breath of fresh air.

UA37
01-29-2009, 10:30 AM
I have to disagree. Odom is not the type of motivator that Horn is, plus Horn's system better fits the talent we currently have. Horn has also done a wonderful job bringing the students back to the arena. This program needed a breath of fresh air.

I agree with the fresh air comment. I just think most coaches should be able to win with that roster. I think Odom would have done fairly well too. I do think yall made the right decision by changes coaches. So far so good from Horn.

SeladenUSC
01-29-2009, 11:15 AM
Horn uses his players better than Odom ever did. Odom had Steed playing on the wing last year, and he couldn't handle it so he sat the bench. Steed plays the 4 now and gets quality minutes.

Downey plays like 3 to 5 less minutes a game now and still gives Horn the same numbers. It means his legs are still there at the end of the game. Heck all our starters play alittle less minutes now than last year and you can see its effects at the end of games.

The biggest different between the 2 coaches is in the classroom. SC mens bball had the 2nd highest GPA EVER this semester under Horn, while under Odom these same guys were indanger of costing SC a scholly.

The coaching change was awesome in my book.

VandyChuck
01-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Vanderbilt - The 'Dores don't have a solid enough ball-handler or shooter for that matter, after all the good ones got used up. Now only Ogilvy is left - anyone think he probably should have left for the NBA last year? I expected Vandy to compete a bit more than they are, but their struggles make sense considering what they lost.

You're right about the shooter part, but Beal is probably the best ball-handler in the league.

Dawg
01-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Dawg,
Under Georgia you said "30th in the country and you go and play for Felton?"
I'm not understanding your point, what are you saying?
just curious

No, I said why would he go and play for Felton - big difference. (That was before you edited your post lol) Nothing wrong with Georgia as a program, but Felton had clearly been sliding down a long and painful slope of mediocrity for quite a while and I don't understand why such a talented player would waste his collegiate career like that. Nothing personal against Georgia, because they have great fans.

Chuck, I admit Beal has become a good ball-handler. However, to call him one of the best in the conference is misleading. He's 13th in the conference in assists, although he's second in assist/turnover ratio. Yes - he's a good ball-handler, but more importantly he's a mediocre/decent point guard. In all fairness, he'd probably be a lot more impressive if he had more reliable shooters to get the ball to.

VandyChuck
01-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Bottom line: He doesn't turn the ball over. Least amount of TO's by a PG in the conference two years running. His ball-handling (going by the very definition of it) is elite. Not saying he's an elite PG but having a guy who can handle pressure almost flawlessly and doesn't give up possessions is important to us. Now if we could just get the rest of the team to follow suit with protecting the ball....

JRS
01-29-2009, 01:17 PM
Horn uses his players better than Odom ever did. Odom had Steed playing on the wing last year, and he couldn't handle it so he sat the bench. Steed plays the 4 now and gets quality minutes.

Downey plays like 3 to 5 less minutes a game now and still gives Horn the same numbers. It means his legs are still there at the end of the game. Heck all our starters play alittle less minutes now than last year and you can see its effects at the end of games.

The biggest different between the 2 coaches is in the classroom. SC mens bball had the 2nd highest GPA EVER this semester under Horn, while under Odom these same guys were indanger of costing SC a scholly.

The coaching change was awesome in my book.

Very good points. He also had Archie playing the 4 with Holmes at the 5. Now we have Sam at 5, Holmes at 4 and Archie at his right spot at the 3.

GatorMan32
01-29-2009, 01:44 PM
For Florida. Its a team full of freshmen and sophomores so they were going to need time to gel. Tyus is good inside but they needed more inside. Also, Florida was going to need Walker to step up with Lucas leaving. How many teams can lose their starting PG right before the year and just move on flawlessly? Walker and Kenny Kadji are starting to emerge, which gives UF help inside as well as the help from Walker at the point. With that and Parsons starting to emerge with his versatile game on the wing... its making a big difference for this team. The target year is next year when you add a healthy Vargas and Mac to more experienced versions of Tyus and Kadji inside as well as Boynton's scoring outside. But this team is really starting to come together. They have plenty of work to do, don't get me wrong. Still its nice to see this thing coming back together.