Anthony Grant in line for Georgia job? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Grant in line for Georgia job?

ECDawg78
01-28-2009, 12:39 PM
Scarbinsky: Anthony Grant is not coming to Tuscaloosa to coach Tide basketball
Posted by rsims January 28, 2009 07:22AM

Virginia Commonwealth University coach Anthony Grant feels the love.

Warning: The following is going to cause some Alabama basketball fans to start crying into their Corn Flakes. At the risk of putting a damper on the most important meal of the day, here goes anyway.
Anthony Grant is not coming to Tuscaloosa.

Unless and until he brings the Georgia basketball team to town.

That conclusion, in clear violation of the never-say-never rule, comes after talking to college basketball insiders familiar with Grant and his thinking.

They say there's no guarantee that the hottest young mid-major coach in the country will leave VCU after this, his third straight successful season there.

Those insiders also say, if Grant does decide to leave VCU for the SEC, it will be to replace Dennis Felton at Georgia, not Mark Gottfried at Alabama.

It's believed that Grant would've been Georgia's top target last year, and would've been intrigued at the opportunity, but Georgia made the mistake of letting Felton coach out the season before firing him.

He made the most of his last chance by winning the SEC Tournament.

Where's Georgia a year later?

On a collision course with a coaching change.

Alabama didn't make the same mistake. By pulling the plug on Gottfried now, it prevents him from pulling a Felton. Don't laugh. The conditions exist, and it might not take a tornado touching down to touch off another late-season miracle.

Alabama is just talented enough, and the SEC is more than wretched enough. The SEC from top to bottom is more hopeless than I've seen it in 25 years of loving basketball behind enemy lines in football country.

Interim coach Philip Pearson will try to pump some air back into a deflated program, much like an old Alabama schoolmate did for Clemson football, but he won't get a chance to fully travel the Dabo Swinney highway.

Pearson has as much chance of winning the job as Alabama, Auburn and UAB have of winning the NCAA Tournament.

As Mal Moore said Tuesday, "We are looking for a proven head coach, no question."

As Alabama embarks on the official start of the search - which will require as much patience as the hunt for Nick Saban, minus a temporary Rich Rodriguez panic - it's fun to debate how good this job really is.

Opinions vary, but one person who knows the job better than most, one person who may be called upon to help sell the job behind the scenes, gives it a ringing endorsement.

"I think it's a great job," C.M. Newton said. "You have a very strong president. A board that's very supportive of athletics. A chancellor who's supportive."

But is the standard for Alabama basketball as high as for Alabama football?

"It is," Newton said, "and it should be."

Interesting take from a man who knows the people charged with setting the standard.

Grant apparently doesn't share that opinion.

Why would he prefer Georgia to Alabama, given the choice? Georgia has a better in-state talent base, and Georgia has proven it will hire a black head basketball coach.

As much as Alabama supporters swear they're ready to break that barrier to hire the best man - Newton hired a good man named Tubby Smith at Kentucky - outsiders remain skeptical.

Of course, you can white-out this tangent if Alabama can land the driven, proven, take-no-prisoners basketball version of that recruiting ninja Saban. But would John Calipari, one of the top five basketball coaches in the land, leave a town in Memphis and a league in C-USA he owns?

Approached in the right way, one basketball insider said, Cal would listen, despite the fat new five-year deal he signed in April that starts at $2.35 million a year and includes a $5 million longevity bonus.

So listen up, Alabama basketball fan.

If you wanted Grant, stop crying.

But don't stop dreaming.

http://blog.al.com/kevin-scarbinsky/2009/01/scarbinsky_anthony_grant_is_no.html

UA37
01-28-2009, 12:43 PM
Grant isnt very high on my list, but i'll be happy if we get him. My two favorites are Tubby and Mike Anderson.

dnmuga93
01-28-2009, 04:38 PM
We'd have to be damn lucky to get him to come to this wasteland of hoops. I think he'll pick elsewheres to go and UGA will be screwed again.

gatormaniac
01-28-2009, 04:45 PM
I would love to have AG in the SEC!!

steelyvan
01-28-2009, 04:58 PM
gatormaniac, what do you know about CAG? Do you know what offenses and defenses he runs at VCU? Just curious to get some "insider" info.

GDawg88
01-28-2009, 05:39 PM
We'd have to be damn lucky to get him to come to this wasteland of hoops. I think he'll pick elsewheres to go and UGA will be screwed again.
I think you're going to be surprised at the calibur of coach UGA will be able to get. Grant and Sam Mitchell, two of the hottest coaches on the market, have already expressed interest. As bad as UGA has been lately, the savvy coaches realize how much potential the program has.

dnmuga93
01-28-2009, 06:58 PM
I think you're going to be surprised at the calibur of coach UGA will be able to get. Grant and Sam Mitchell, two of the hottest coaches on the market, have already expressed interest. As bad as UGA has been lately, the savvy coaches realize how much potential the program has.

GDawg, those of us that grew up and still live here KNOW how good the HS basketball is in these parts (multiple top 3 NBA picks out of HS, etc.). Coaches know it too; that's why they want to come here. My point is that all the NAME programs in the immediate area (UNC, Duke, UK, etc) can cherry pick the state's top talent. We're not getting them.

Locally, we have to recruit against Yech. It is my opinion that their ACC affiliation will (and does) tip the balance of many recruits that we are after in the state. Like it or not, the ACC in hoops is like the SEC in pigskin- the king (I don't give a crap about what the Big East thinks). This is why I believe we will have a hard time being successful long term in hoops.

If I were AG, I would demand a new arena as a condition of accepting the UGA job. He can't compete without it.

georgiaguy31015
01-28-2009, 07:04 PM

You may be right but I disagree. I think Georgia was close to getting Grant last year and I believe they can get him this year. I'd love to have him.

GatorMan32
01-28-2009, 11:56 PM
I think Grant will be harder to get away from VCU than people expect.

As far as Grant, he was the one and only choice when we briefly had to look for a replacement for Donovan. He is a great coach, great recruiter and he turns kids into quality men with his mentoring off the court. First class all of the way.

georgiaguy31015
01-28-2009, 11:57 PM
I think Grant will be harder to get away from VCU than people expect.

As far as Grant, he was the one and only choice when we briefly had to look for a replacement for Donovan. He is a great coach, great recruiter and he turns kids into quality men with his mentoring off the court. First class all of the way.

I've always heard the same thing and I think he would be a great fit at Georgia if Georgia can get him.