Finishing the Season [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Finishing the Season

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 02:40 PM
Last year, Butch Pierre went an admirable 5-5 in the wake of John Brady's firing. How does Bama finish the season now that they've fired Mark Gottfried?

MKAU
01-26-2009, 02:43 PM
Little talent, no depth. They should just scrap the year and start over. I wonder if Andrew Steele will transfer?

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 02:45 PM
I say "no" as well, MKAU. LSU had some final four players and an interim coach that was good enough to be a head coach. I'm not sure Bama has a guy on its staff that's capable of finising in the SEC strong, although this is the year to do it.

I just think Bama has lost complete control... firing your coach midseason (without NCAA violations to back it up), has just shown that you've lost complete control over your program to where you gotta do something drastic and throw the players off.

SkyAntoine
01-26-2009, 02:48 PM
I really thought this would come at the end of the season. It wasn't like Bama was done for the year. I can't believe losing to a 5-0 SEC team in a hard fought effort was the straw that broke the camel's back.

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 02:50 PM
Amen, Sky. Rep!

Read my mind. Bama has been somewhat dreadful this season, but this is the lowest of all the lows. The very, very bottom. What's the offseason for these days... I guess it's not used to fire coaches.

MKAU
01-26-2009, 02:52 PM
I really thought this would come at the end of the season. It wasn't like Bama was done for the year. I can't believe losing to a 5-0 SEC team in a hard fought effort was the straw that broke the camel's back.It wasn't. Bama was done for the year when they got by Oregon in Maui (at least me along with several friends saw it coming). To boot the best player on the team flat out quit because of the coach. Then you got rumors of an affair.

As far as the Kentucky game goes, I don't really have a problem with Kentucky, but as bad as they were in that game a team with any kind of identity could have pulled off a win against Kentucky that day. Ky just didn't play well at all and it wasn't because of Bama.

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 02:54 PM
I felt like Bama's defense was pretty good, which made UK struggle. That's what's strange to me... with the way Bama played Saturday, that's a win over 75% of the league. CMG still had time to get the ship righted (he righted the ship in 2004 afterall). Firing him now just blows the whole entire thing up and embarrasses him in the process.

SkyAntoine
01-26-2009, 02:56 PM
It wasn't. Bama was done for the year when they got by Oregon in Maui (at least me along with several friends saw it coming). To boot the best player on the team flat out quit because of the coach. Then you got rumors of an affair.

As far as the Kentucky game goes, I don't really have a problem with Kentucky, but as bad as they were in that game a team with any kind of identity could have pulled off a win against Kentucky that day. Ky just didn't play well at all and it wasn't because of Bama.

Bama lost it down the stretch along with us capitalizing on their miscues. But, Bama did not look like a team that was dead. (I.e. See Georgia.)

steelyvan
01-26-2009, 02:58 PM
the players have pride but their preparation has been sorely lacking for a long time

MKAU
01-26-2009, 02:59 PM
I felt like Bama's defense was pretty good, which made UK struggle. That's what's strange to me... with the way Bama played Saturday, that's a win over 75% of the league. CMG still had time to get the ship righted (he righted the ship in 2004 afterall). Firing him now just blows the whole entire thing up and embarrasses him in the process.
51 points? No. Not just no, but HELL NO! That wasn't Kentucky's defense causing that. It was a team that flat out sucks.

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 03:01 PM
51 points? No. Not just no, but HELL NO! That wasn't Kentucky's defense causing that. It was a team that flat out sucks.

I beg to differ, considering UK is in the top 3 nationally in blocks and field goal defense.

Bama would've scored more against 75% of the rest of the league BTW... that's why I made that comment.

UA37
01-26-2009, 03:02 PM
I really thought this would come at the end of the season. It wasn't like Bama was done for the year. I can't believe losing to a 5-0 SEC team in a hard fought effort was the straw that broke the camel's back.

It's just unacceptable to lose to a team that had 100 put up on them on their home floor by a big south team. :raz:

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 03:02 PM
Oh and here I thought your loss to Mercer was bad.

SkyAntoine
01-26-2009, 03:06 PM
It's just unacceptable to lose to a team that had 100 put up on them on their home floor by a big south team. :raz:

Then, firing Gottfried was a justified response because that was unacceptable for us, too. :)

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 03:07 PM
ONly difference is we don't panic and fire our coach midseason though. lol

SkyAntoine
01-26-2009, 03:11 PM
ONly difference is we don't panic and fire our coach midseason though. lol

No, but if you took a vote from Rupp Rafter posters it would have been close. I was concerned the last half of last year could have been a fluke. Now, I see it's just Billy Clyde's way of driving us nuts.

MKAU
01-26-2009, 03:12 PM
I beg to differ, considering UK is in the top 3 nationally in blocks and field goal defense.

Bama would've scored more against 75% of the rest of the league BTW... that's why I made that comment.
I take it back. You're right. Bama probably would have put up as much as 58 on the rest of the league. Their average talent freshman PF, a streetballing SG, PG who can't shoot, and an underachieving SF, combined with the fact they have no chemistry to speak of, could certainly achieve a higher point total.

Point is, it's not hard to play defense against Bama.

Kentucky scoring 61 was in part to Bama defense, but even against a great defense they are much more capable than 61. Ky played below standard level.

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 03:13 PM
I do agree that UK was a bit off, but how could you not be when Patterson only scores two points in the first half, then a player collapses before the second half?

MKAU
01-26-2009, 03:16 PM
I do agree that UK was a bit off, but how could you not be when Patterson only scores two points in the first half, then a player collapses before the second half?I'm not analyzing why Kentucky played off. It doesn't matter and I don't care. The point is bolded. Bama only scored 51 against a Kentucky team that was struggling and would have gotten beaten on that particular day by many teams.

UA37
01-26-2009, 03:21 PM
Hopefully Pearson has been preparing for this day.

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 03:25 PM
Well Pearson was up for the Murray State job a few years back and CMG put in a good word for him I'd imagine.

steelyvan
01-26-2009, 03:27 PM
i'm not sure the assistant coaches have been well prepared to take the reigns, but i'm confident they will be energized with the opportunity. tough situation on all parties.

steelyvan
01-26-2009, 03:28 PM
not so sure about that KT

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 03:30 PM
I think I read way back when where CMG did though. Many people criticized the hire of Kobie to the assistant coaches a few years ago, so maybe this isn't the best stable of assistant coaches in the league, but they'll have to make due with the situation Mal Moore and Mark Gottfried have put them in.

LSUTigers1404
01-26-2009, 03:39 PM
This is no surprise. I don't see the big deal of firing him midseason. Why go through the season with a lameduck coach that everyone knows will be fired in the end anyway?

Look what happened to Georgia. I'm sure they were going to fire their coach at the end of last season. But Georgia had a fluke run and won the SEC Tourney. This has forced Georgia to waste a season because they couldn't fire the man after winning the SECT.

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 03:42 PM
Likewise, if you know he's gonna be fired anyway, why not just let him get fired at the end of the year?

UGA's situation is different BTW...they were patient, and even if they had to keep Felton one extra year, they also hung up a banner.

LSU fired Brady last year, and I think it's worked out well, but they still didn't get Trent Johnson until after last year's Sweet 16... so what's the rush?

UA37
01-26-2009, 03:44 PM
Likewise, if you know he's gonna be fired anyway, why not just let him get fired at the end of the year?

UGA's situation is different BTW...they were patient, and even if they had to keep Felton one extra year, they also hung up a banner.

LSU fired Brady last year, and I think it's worked out well, but they still didn't get Trent Johnson until after last year's Sweet 16... so what's the rush?

ticket sales? attendance? heard Saban was pissed at the mediocre game day atmosphere

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 03:47 PM
Just how many seats does Bama expect to sale by firing the guy in the middle of the year. That can't improve much. Now, go out and get Tubby he'll spike your attendance, like he's done tremendously up north for my Gophers... but yet still, Tubby or any new coach isn't coming January 26, 2009.

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 03:52 PM
I wonder if anybody tries to poach Shawn Kemp, Jr. or Tony Mitchell from CMG's 2009 class.

UA37
01-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Just how many seats does Bama expect to sale by firing the guy in the middle of the year. That can't improve much. Now, go out and get Tubby he'll spike your attendance, like he's done tremendously up north for my Gophers... but yet still, Tubby or any new coach isn't coming January 26, 2009.

Who do you think Minnesota will go after? :raz:

UA37
01-26-2009, 03:55 PM
I wonder if anybody tries to poach Shawn Kemp, Jr. or Tony Mitchell from CMG's 2009 class.

Kemp yes. Tony Mitchell is in school in bham. I think he's solid to Bama, but other coaches should try to get him. He's a major talent. A new coach may go after and get Cousins.

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 03:58 PM
Who do you think Minnesota will go after? :raz:

You know the interesting thing about this is that if Bama goes after Tubby and he says "no," we'll probably never know about it. Tubby's not gonna embarrass Bama publicly if he chooses not to go, and he's gonna keep it quiet. That's the quality thing about him. He had some opportunities to leave UK for the NBA and stuff and he rarely heard about it, except for the 76es in 2003, a stressful time for us.

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Kemp yes. Tony Mitchell is in school in bham. I think he's solid to Bama, but other coaches should try to get him. He's a major talent. A new coach may go after and get Cousins.

Yeah, I didn't think about Cousins. Since he's mad at UAB for not promising him an out if Davis leaves UAB, he's kind of open right now. It seems like Calipari has zeroed in on him though, which that'll be a hard battle to fight for anybody.

LSUTigers1404
01-26-2009, 03:59 PM
ticket sales? attendance? heard Saban was pissed at the mediocre game day atmosphere

I doubt Saban really cares.

UA37
01-26-2009, 04:08 PM
I doubt Saban really cares.

If it affects recruiting, he cares.

OffThePorch
01-26-2009, 04:11 PM
probably not.

msudawg4life
01-26-2009, 04:33 PM
Bama def has the players to win some game....at this point though...who knows...it's Bama....

orange&white
01-26-2009, 07:11 PM
On the radio stations here it was pretty apparent that the Bama reporters believed it was the Steele situation and the affair rumors were his undoing for the midseason, not the team record.