Gottfried Fired [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Gottfried Fired

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 03:18 PM
Wow! There's already one thread dealing with this, but I gotta say this deserves it's very own thread.

http://www.tidesports.com/article/20090126/NEWS/901260295/1011?Title=Mark_Gottfried_fired

XPS
01-26-2009, 03:21 PM
TUSCALOOSA | University of Alabama basketball coach Mark Gottfried will be relieved of his duties this week, ending a run of nearly 11 years as the Crimson Tide’s head basketball coach, sources have told The Tuscaloosa News.

Gottfried, 45, is not expected to coach the team in its remaining games. Although no announcement has been made concerning an interim coach, assistant coach Phillip Pearson is expected to take over the team until the end of the season.

Gottfried has two years remaining on a contract that is worth some $900,000 annually in terms of the University’s liability for buyout. In his 11 seasons, he is 210-131 overall and one game above the .500 mark, 83-82, in Southeastern Conference play. Including three years as the head coach at Murray State, Gottfried’s overall coaching record is 278-155.

He replaced David Hobbs as Alabama’s head coach in April of 1998. After a three-year rebuilding process, Gottfried took Alabama to the NCAA Tournament in 2002, beginning a streak of five consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances. The Crimson Tide’s best finish came in 2004 when UA advanced to the Elite Eight.

XPS
01-26-2009, 03:22 PM
I'm very surprised at the timing...

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 03:23 PM
For discussions sake, what kind of precedent did Skip Bertman set last year by firing John Brady... just one year later here's another coach getting fired midseason and for what? CMG graduated everybody, won 62% of his games there... surely, this could have waited two months.
I do guess this puts Bama in prime position to get the best coach possible though, because with Arizona being open you know there's gonna be a pecking order.

UA37
01-26-2009, 03:26 PM
Pettway for interim coach!!!!

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 03:27 PM
:raz:
Pettway for interim coach!!!!

Why settle, when Coach Tubby Smith is out there?:raz:

UA37
01-26-2009, 03:30 PM
Pettway>Tubby

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 03:31 PM
Just stick with Pettway then, and fire him after 11 years too... oh excuse me 11 and a half years.

UA37
01-26-2009, 03:38 PM
Just stick with Pettway then, and fire him after 11 years too... oh excuse me 11 and a half years.

haha... maybe we'll just run them off to some obscure college in canada

MKAU
01-26-2009, 03:38 PM
Oh lord help us if Pettway gets the job. They'll be the first team to be forced to forfeit their games for blinding the other team with their shoes.

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 03:39 PM
haha... maybe we'll just run them off to some obscure college in canada

I seriously don't get the joke, if it's meant to be one?

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm still surprised that Rolltide.com and ESPN haven't picked up on this story yet, if it's true?

UA37
01-26-2009, 03:46 PM
I seriously don't get the joke, if it's meant to be one?

i meant minnesota, same difference

steelyvan
01-26-2009, 03:49 PM
i laughed out loud.
getting Tubby would be amazing and surprising. He has a great thing going up in the tundra.

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 03:49 PM
That's what I thought, but it seems like you're bellyaching over trying to get him to coach your team now... plus, he left the job on his own for a job that paid $1.75 million... don't feel too sorry for Tubby's.. he's content and he gets to coach with his son.

steelyvan
01-26-2009, 03:52 PM
i am not a fan of Calipari. Should I be? Bama going after him seems strange to me.

UA37
01-26-2009, 03:53 PM
That's what I thought, but it seems like you're bellyaching over trying to get him to coach your team now... plus, he left the job on his own for a job that paid $1.75 million... don't feel too sorry for Tubby's.. he's content and he gets to coach with his son.

Well anything has to be better than the way he was treated at Kentucky.

I'll always be a big Tubby fan regardless.

UA37
01-26-2009, 03:55 PM
In other related horrible news, I was cleaning up my closet yesterday and i knocked over my Antoine Pettway bobble head. He broke apart at the legs. Maybe it was a sign.

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 03:55 PM
Well anything has to be better than the way he was treated at Kentucky.

I'll always be a big Tubby fan regardless.

Bandwagoner... you didn't like TUbby when he was UK's coach.

PiggoBitttys
01-26-2009, 03:56 PM
Maybe the HOgs can actually get an SEC win with Bama losing it's coach.

Good luck with your search Bama.

UA37
01-26-2009, 03:58 PM
Bandwagoner... you didn't like TUbby when he was UK's coach.

No, i didnt like Kentucky and the excessive pimping by you. The people who watch basketball with me know i've always liked him. He trips me out when he gets all pissed on the sidelines. Dude looks INTENSE!

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 03:58 PM
i am not a fan of Calipari. Should I be? Bama going after him seems strange to me.

I guess you gotta have another big name when Tubby tells you he doesn't want the job. I don't think Cal is gonna leave Memphis for that job though... that would be a step down for Cal, who is loved by Memphis... he's not feeling pressure at all.

The only advantage Bama has is that it's in a BCS league and I've heard Cal wants to coach in one, but he doesnt' need to be in one to be at the top.

I say you're gonna have to settle for a midmajor level coach like Grant, or maybe a guy like Anderson with Bama connections. Maybe Brian Gregory at Dayton, too.

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 04:00 PM
No, i didnt like Kentucky and the excessive pimping by you. The people who watch basketball with me know i've always liked him. He trips me out when he gets all pissed on the sidelines. Dude looks INTENSE!

Like you've never met a Bama football fan who isn't the same way. I guess when you like the team though it's okay.

Anyway, Tubby is intense. Dick Vitale said it better than anybody else one time. Dick said Tubby has the best eyes in the business. Tubby's stare could just scare the piss out of you at times, because of that intensity. Don't make a mistake on the court. Tubby brings accountability and structure that's for sure... but I expect Minnesota to be the beneficiary.

steelyvan
01-26-2009, 04:02 PM
kt, another name being discussed is the young coach at Butler. Only in his 2nd year, he has taken a team decimated by graduation and is dominating the Horizon and did well in the OOC. might be an interesting roll of the dice. they play with a very entertaining style.

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 04:04 PM
Yeah, Brad Stevens is his name. He's got a future, and he's likely gonna be able to name his next job, and I could see him going to Bama and then leaving in two years (like Tubby did UGA), simply because his coaching is at a level that's even higher than bama's program IMO. Bobby Knight was thoroughly impressed with Stevens.'

When looking to hire a coach a good place to look at is Butler.. they've had Todd Licklier, Thad Matta, and Barry Collier before Stevens.

Stevens has transformed Matt Howard into a superstar as a sophomore, but the greatest compliment I can pay him is that his teams will defend... something CMG's teams usually struggled with. It's astonishing how young Stevens is too... he's got a future... maybe a future at Kentucky for that matter down the road. He's crazy good.

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 04:10 PM
As I sit back and think about Richard Hendrix leaving Bama last year with no guarantee to be drafted first round last year, it really makes you think CMG was barely hanging on even then.

UA37
01-26-2009, 04:11 PM
Like you've never met a Bama football fan who isn't the same way. I guess when you like the team though it's okay.

Anyway, Tubby is intense. Dick Vitale said it better than anybody else one time. Dick said Tubby has the best eyes in the business. Tubby's stare could just scare the piss out of you at times, because of that intensity. Don't make a mistake on the court. Tubby brings accountability and structure that's for sure... but I expect Minnesota to be the beneficiary.

i think i am that fan LOL

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 04:14 PM
UA37, what do you think about the Richard Hendrix comment I made two posts ago?

UA37
01-26-2009, 04:18 PM
UA37, what do you think about the Richard Hendrix comment I made two posts ago?

I've heard from many sources that former players think CMG is a joke of a coach. CMG has been done in the eyes of a lot of fans for years now.

steelyvan
01-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Richard had his degree and was comfortable with his contract negotiations at that time. Ultimately, Golden State waived him after signing him to a three year contract and signed ex-Bama Jemareo Davidson thru the end of this season.
CMG was not popular last summer with the AD but his job was not in jeopardy until this season.

Bamadan
01-26-2009, 04:24 PM
Finebaum is reporting that CMG resigned. Searching for a link.

UA37
01-26-2009, 04:30 PM
Bruce Pearl to Bama. Done deal.

SkyAntoine
01-26-2009, 04:34 PM

Non-thread related:
The Rupp print I just got for my office has Tubby on all fours in front of the bench. It's pretty sweet! I always loved his intensity on the sidelines.

Thread related:
Keep Tubby out of Bama!

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 04:50 PM
Since he "resigned" can somebody changed the thread for me?

Dollar Theater
01-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Go get Anthony Grant.

Bamadan
01-26-2009, 04:56 PM
Nothing is official, but take Finebaum with a grain of salt. He's gone plum loco with the press release wanting Dr Witt or Coach Moore to call his show.

Bamadan
01-26-2009, 04:57 PM
Head Men's Basketball Coach Mark Gottfried Announces Resignation

Jan. 26, 2009

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - University of Alabama head men's basketball coach Mark Gottfried has resigned effective immediately, UA Director of Athletics Mal Moore announced today. Crimson Tide assistant coach Philip Pearson will assume the role of interim head coach for the remainder of the season.

"My number one priority is to do what is best for the University of Alabama, this basketball program, and these young men," Gottfried said. "Mal and I sat down today and we talked. At that point, I notified him of my intention to resign as head coach of the men's basketball program. I am extremely grateful to have had the opportunity and the privilege to lead our men's basketball program at Alabama for the past 10 and a half seasons. It has been a wonderful decade for me and my family, and I love the University of Alabama, but I feel that it is in the best interests of everyone involved. I want to thank our players, their families, our coaching staff and their families, and our great fans for all of their support over these last 11 seasons."

"I accepted Coach Gottfried's resignation," Moore said. "I respect Mark's decision and will begin immediately working on a permanent replacement. I agreed with him that it is in the best interests of the men's basketball program for us to move in a different direction. I want to extend my sincerest best wishes to Mark and his family, along with my personal thanks to Mark for his many years of dedicated service to our men's basketball program.

"Out of respect for our players, I will make no further comment on Coach Gottfried's decision. I want to extend my complete support to our players and our coaching staff, which will be headed by interim head coach Philip Pearson. We fully expect them to compete hard the rest of this season and I ask our loyal fans to rally in support of these coaches and players over the coming weeks of SEC play.

"Our process towards finding a new head coach will begin immediately. Out of respect for our players and coaches, I will not comment on the progress of our search until it has concluded."

Gottfried was named head coach at Alabama on March 25, 1998, and compiled a record of 210-131 (.616 winning percentage) with the Crimson Tide, including a mark of 83-82 in Southeastern Conference (SEC) games, winning one SEC regular season championship and leading the team to five NCAA Tournament appearances. He joined the Crimson Tide after three seasons as head coach at Murray State (Ky.) where he compiled a record of 68-24 while leading the Racers to three Ohio Valley Conference championships (1995, 1996, and 1997) and three NCAA Tournament appearances. Gottfried's career record stands at 278-155 for a winning percentage of .642 in 14 seasons as a college head coach.

Gottfried, a 1987 Alabama graduate, played guard for the Crimson Tide for three seasons (1984-85, 1985-86, and 1986-87) while starting 98 consecutive games for then-head coach Wimp Sanderson after starting his college career at Oral Roberts University (1982-83 season).

http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/012609aac.html

OffThePorch
01-26-2009, 05:00 PM
good luck BAMA with a new Coach. & good luck to MG where he lands.

Friedchickenman
01-26-2009, 05:10 PM
Finebaum is reporting that CMG resigned. Searching for a link.

Yeah Tuberville resigned too :sarcasm:.

Honestly, I'm not surprised at all, Gottfried has always underperformed with the talent he has had.

rolling baby
01-26-2009, 05:20 PM
Is it just me or does Finebomb always accuse somebody of sleeping around?

Halleljuah on Mark's resigning. Give me Grant, Anderson, or that dude at Butler. I could give two ishts about being a stepping stone (worked well for Xavier).

GoBigO
01-26-2009, 05:22 PM
Bring back Wimp!

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Is it just me or does Finebomb always accuse somebody of sleeping around?

Halleljuah on Mark's resigning. Give me Grant, Anderson, or that dude at Butler. I could give two ishts about being a stepping stone (worked well for Xavier).

Obviously, you do care, because you don't want a good program for two years and then a downward spiral afterward... if so, you would have kept CMG, right?

rolling baby
01-26-2009, 05:26 PM
Who says there has to be a downward spiral? Just give me 5 years and thanks. Miami football won NCs that way.

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 05:27 PM
Big difference in Miami football and Bama basketball though. I think under the right coach Bama can be a juggernaut. It's likely to take some time though... and recruiting is the first priority I'd imagine.

rolling baby
01-26-2009, 05:29 PM
yeah, that's why Mark going bye bye is good timing. Time to get this isht into gear.

msudawg4life
01-26-2009, 05:31 PM
I do not know if it was corrected or not cuz i didn't read all 5 pages of posts...but the newsflash i got on my phone said he resigned.....it was through ESPN

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Yeah, he "resigned"... notice the quotations. How do you explain a buyout if a guy chooses to leave.

msudawg4life
01-26-2009, 05:35 PM
It was one of those.....Hey Mark.....you can either "resign" or we kick your a$$ out the door type of moments.....lol

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 05:43 PM
Yeah, that's what it seems like. AFterall, if he really wanted to quit, why would he wait until now?

thethird
01-26-2009, 05:49 PM
That thumping by Auburn didn't help him.

UA37
01-26-2009, 07:07 PM
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/papercrownproductions/grantchange.jpg

jrltiger
01-26-2009, 08:14 PM
For discussions sake, what kind of precedent did Skip Bertman set last year by firing John Brady... just one year later here's another coach getting fired midseason and for what? CMG graduated everybody, won 62% of his games there... surely, this could have waited two months.
I do guess this puts Bama in prime position to get the best coach possible though, because with Arizona being open you know there's gonna be a pecking order.

It's worked out great for LSU so far. The team is playing good, fundamental basketball. And interest in the program has sky rocketed from where it was the past 10 season. TJ is going out and trying to drum up some interest in the program, a thing Brady refused to do.

We'll see how it works out for Bama, but I'd say the precedent that LSU set is one of if you think you're program is headed in the wrong direction, make a change ASAP and try to right the ship.

bamadenver
01-26-2009, 09:06 PM
I think getting rid of him now, in the middle league play is kinda bad, but I'm glad he's gone. He's a good guy, from a good family here in Mobile, but could not win enough games, and this has been a horrible landslide season. :cry:

I'm all about some Tubby, but have also heard Calipari(sp) in the mix. I don't like Calipari because of his "unhonest" way of doing things, but whatever..?

I'm with RB, steping stone...whatever, is better than Mark right now.

georgiaguy31015
01-26-2009, 10:16 PM
Well congrats Bama I think this is what had to happen for Bama and I think it's a good idea to get the jump on a search.

onlyfrbama
01-26-2009, 10:52 PM
Really is anyone surprised. This team was the preseason pick to win the SEC West and has laid an egg. He promised once he got Steele back everything would change and guess what it didn't. The same thing that plagued us over his 11 years were still plaguing us and it wasn't improving. We are horrible on the road and continue to lose (I believe his record on the road was something like 0-16 the last 2 1/2 years after the lose to Auburn). He did not build on the momentum he had back when we were making the NCAA tourney. The no imagination in the offense and really no ball movement in key times was a real problem. Alabama has talent and has recruited talent according to rivals rankings and scout. The team with good coaching and prep should be able to contend for the SEC West title not the cellar.

I have heard three prominent names and they are Anderson (I would really love to have this guy after what he has done at UAB and Missouri), Grant (Also love to have) & Smith (Love to have but does he really want to come back to the SEC?)

MSU124
01-27-2009, 12:14 AM
http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/9ce15f582218cb06e57b40f7833e69d67194c97.jpg

thethird
01-27-2009, 12:17 AM
:lol::lol::lol:

msudawg4life
01-27-2009, 12:56 AM
I was at that game in T-Town...it was terrible...It was so apparent that he was trying to run the score up...guess Karma caught up with him in the end ;)

msudawgs1964
01-27-2009, 01:57 AM
http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/9ce15f582218cb06e57b40f7833e69d67194c97.jpg

that sir..is awesome.

Karma is indeed a *****.

UA37
01-27-2009, 08:09 AM
49>25

BamaHoHo
01-27-2009, 11:55 AM
I think getting rid of him now, in the middle league play is kinda bad, but I'm glad he's gone. He's a good guy, from a good family here in Mobile, but could not win enough games, and this has been a horrible landslide season. :cry:

I'm all about some Tubby, but have also heard Calipari(sp) in the mix. I don't like Calipari because of his "unhonest" way of doing things, but whatever..?

I'm with RB, steping stone...whatever, is better than Mark right now.

I glad it happened now. Because we can start getting feelers out there about who migh be interested. My top 2 choices are Anthony Grant & Mike Anderson.

steelyvan
01-27-2009, 12:37 PM
I am a little intrigued by Anthony Grant, among others. But I am uncomfortable with Mike Anderson. Have you ever seen his teams in close games or losing? Doesn't make adjustments, just hopes their style of play prevails. May win a lot of games but won't win the big ones. See if that happens this year with his current team.