Coach Mark Gottfried scheduled to meet now with UA athletics director Mal Moore [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Coach Mark Gottfried scheduled to meet now with UA athletics director Mal Moore

UA37
01-26-2009, 01:56 PM
Coach Mark Gottfried scheduled to meet now with UA athletics director Mal Moore to discuss his job future
Posted by Ian R. Rapoport -- Birmingham News January 26, 2009 1:31 PM
Categories: Basketball

Alabama coach Mark Gottfried in meeting about his future...Head over to the Birmingham News' breaking news page... There are some basketball issues to discuss. At least one major one:
TUSCALOOSA -- Alabama basketball coach Mark Gottfried was scheduled to meet with athletics director Mal Moore at 1:30 p.m. today to come to a resolution on his job future, two sources close to the situation told The Birmingham News.

It was not clear what the result will be. Gottfried is in his 11th year with the Crimson Tide, which has a 12-7, 2-3 Southeastern Conference record.

It is not clear what other UA officials are in the meeting.

Though he led Alabama to five consecutive NCAA appearances, the team has missed the tournament the last two seasons. He has come under fire this season, particularly after the controversial departure of All-American point guard Ronald Steele.

Ian R. Rapoport

http://blog.al.com/rapsheet/2009/01/coach_mark_gottfried_meeting_w.html

UA37
01-26-2009, 01:56 PM
this could be it...

XPS
01-26-2009, 02:02 PM
this could be it...

Your top 3 choices?

UA37
01-26-2009, 02:03 PM
Your top 3 choices?

Tubby, Pitino, Calipari

I hear from good sources UA's top 3 are:

1. Tubby
2. Calipari
3. Grant

I'd prefer Anderson over Grant.

MKAU
01-26-2009, 02:04 PM
Noooooooooooo!

Say it ain't so!

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 02:04 PM
I think media reports about a coach on the hotseat meeting with his AD are often blown way out of proportion. It's often during a season that a guy meets with his AD and this could be a mundane meeting. Granted, CMG is under fire, but still... I wouldn't say he's being let go until he says it or Mal says it.

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 02:05 PM
1. Tubby

If it comes to this and you are looking for a new coach, I hope Tubby says "no thanks." Then, I hope Gillispie continues to wipe the floor with Bama, because that's ridiculous.

UA37
01-26-2009, 02:06 PM
If it comes to this and you are looking for a new coach, I hope Tubby says "no thanks." Then, I hope Gillispie continues to wipe the floor with Bama, because that's ridiculous.

Oh, it's gonna come to it. Tubby is going to get an offer from Bama.

SkyAntoine
01-26-2009, 02:08 PM
Tubby, Pitino, Calipari

1. Tubby
2. Calipari
3. Grant

I personally see Grant over the others. I would be surprised if Tubby jumped ship so soon on Minnesota. Calipari just seems like an odd fit in the SEC. But, I guess no more than the Italian Stallion at Kentucky.

XPS
01-26-2009, 02:11 PM
Tubby, Pitino, Calipari

1. Tubby
2. Calipari
3. Grant

I can see Tubby taking the job before Cal...

UA37
01-26-2009, 02:12 PM
UK fans don't want Tubby at Bama just like LSU fans didnt want Saban. If it happens, one of you will have to step up and match Geaux's hatred.

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 02:12 PM
Oh, it's gonna come to it. Tubby is going to get an offer from Bama.

I'm being a little facetious with my earlier comments... but for my sake, please just go after Calipari and keep Tubby out of the SEC. That wouldn't be great for UK... we wouldn't here the end of Tubby being here, and being in the West, you gotta think he'd dominate (especially at Bama). UK fans right now are all on the same ship, and Tubby being in the league could be the ammunition that divides the UK fanbase again. We don't need that... Bama is instigating conflict.

UA37
01-26-2009, 02:13 PM
and its' done!!

http://www.tidesports.com/article/20090126/NEWS/901260295/1011?Title=Mark_Gottfried_fired

Mark Gottfried fired
By Cecil Hurt, Sports Editor
Published: Monday, January 26, 2009 at 2:04 p.m.
Last Modified: Monday, January 26, 2009 at 2:04 p.m.
TUSCALOOSA | University of Alabama basketball coach Mark Gottfried will be relieved of his duties this week, ending a run of nearly 11 years as the Crimson Tide’s head basketball coach, sources have told The Tuscaloosa News.

Gottfried, 45, is not expected to coach the team in its remaining games. Although no announcement has been made concerning an interim coach, assistant coach Phillip Pearson is expected to take over the team until the end of the season.

Gottfried has two years remaining on a contract that is worth some $900,000 annually in terms of the University’s liability for buyout. In his 11 seasons, he is 210-131 overall and one game above the .500 mark, 83-82, in Southeastern Conference play. Including three years as the head coach at Murray State, Gottfried’s overall coaching record is 278-155.

He replaced David Hobbs as Alabama’s head coach in April of 1998. After a three-year rebuilding process, Gottfried took Alabama to the NCAA Tournament in 2002, beginning a streak of five consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances. The Crimson Tide’s best finish came in 2004 when UA advanced to the Elite Eight.

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 02:15 PM
UK fans don't want Tubby at Bama just like LSU fans didnt want Saban. If it happens, one of you will have to step up and match Geaux's hatred.

LSU and Bama is a bigger deal though, considering both are football schools. The main thing with Tubby is there are some people that still feel awkward about the whole situation... race could be brought up... lots of awkeward things that I personally don't feel like dealing with as a UK fan.

Plus, I'm a natural born Gopher (my mom went to school there)... I don't want to lose Tubby from our program up north.

I will say this, if Tubby goes to Bama... you're combining a great coach with a great program, and Tubby is gonna make some things happen. As long as Tubby is successful and happy, I am.

Personally, what would you think if Tubby were to bring Hobbs on his staff?

UA37
I'm being a little facetious with my earlier comments... but for my sake, please just go after Calipari and keep Tubby out of the SEC. That wouldn't be great for UK... we wouldn't here the end of Tubby being here, and being in the West, you gotta think he'd dominate (especially at Bama). UK fans right now are all on the same ship, and Tubby being in the league could be the ammunition that divides the UK fanbase again. We don't need that... Bama is instigating conflict.

Bama is trying to make the program a winner.

SkyAntoine
Wow...

I can't believe you Tide fans run him out of town. ;)

UA37
Personally, what would you think if Tubby were to bring Hobbs on his staff?

I'd prefer a recruiter.

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 02:16 PM
Oh boy. I think Bama just disrespected one of its best players ever by firing him in the middle of the year. You don't do that unless the guy is violating rules.

I can't say I didnt' see it coming though. He was a dead man walking.

Tubby... just say no.

UA37
01-26-2009, 02:17 PM
Wow...

I can't believe you Tide fans run him out of town. ;)

3 years out of the tournament is plenty of reason for him to lose his job. He represented the UA well and had one of the best seasons ever at UA. I'll always be a fan, but his time here was up.

UA37
01-26-2009, 02:18 PM
Oh boy. I think Bama just disrespected one of its best players ever by firing him in the middle of the year. You don't do that unless the guy is violating rules.

I can't say I didnt' see it coming though. He was a dead man walking.

Tubby... just say no.

Lots of rumors about him doing a student. People know who the girl is. She had to take down her facebook account.

SkyAntoine
01-26-2009, 02:19 PM
3 years out of the tournament is plenty of reason for him to lose his job. He represented the UA well and had one of the best seasons ever at UA. I'll always be a fan, but his time here was up.

Sometimes change is good even when you have a quality coach.

Saturday was a little bitter sweet when you saw his face towards the end of the game. He had a look on his face like he knew what was coming.

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Well, that's not quite as bad as Wimp Sanderson, now is it?

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 02:21 PM
Sometimes change is good even when you have a quality coach.

Saturday was a little bitter sweet when you saw his face towards the end of the game. He had a look on his face like he knew what was coming.

I know exactly what you're saying. I personally liked Gottfried (and I hope he lands well on his feet... he did awesome at Murray State).

I think Bama must make sure they hire somebody better, because there are plenty of guys out there that are worse than CMG.

But, it does suck when you see somebody you like lose their job (I get the sense that a guy down in GA is next).

steelyvan
01-26-2009, 02:23 PM
kt, trust me, Bama did not disrespect CMG more than the reverse. Off the court, great guy. Running the Bama program in recent years, very lackluster.

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 02:24 PM
steelyvan, that's a load of crap.... purely crap. If he ran the program lackluster in the recent years... fire him at the end of the season... but not now? That's disrespectful... and I said the same thing about LSU last year, and I think LSU took a step up.

steelyvan
01-26-2009, 02:27 PM
the false rumor is based on a student with a similar name (and this young lady is paying a pr price). the true rumor is based on a Bama graduate, fwiw.

MKAU
01-26-2009, 02:27 PM
steelyvan, that's a load of crap.... purely crap. If he ran the program lackluster in the recent years... fire him at the end of the season... but not now? That's disrespectful... and I said the same thing about LSU last year, and I think LSU took a step up.There's more to the story. Mark Gottfried is questionable as a human being and it's beginning to come to light. That's probably why he got fired mid season. If it was just a case of him being a horrible coach, and always has been at Bama, then I would completely agree that the end of the season was the proper time.

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 02:28 PM
We'll just see how it plays out then, MKAU. But, was Wimp fired midseason?

steelyvan
01-26-2009, 02:31 PM
kt, you are entitled to your opinion. and i don't know that i would have fired him now. but you don't know the details to determine who has been more disrespectful. don't tell me i'm full of crap. i'll accept your apology.

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 02:32 PM
steelyvan, unless you're in the know, you don't have the knowledge to say who was more disrespectful either. Let's be fair about that.

I will apologize, because those were some strong words I used. But, typically, I hate to see anybody lose their job, and typically, I'm gonna side with the coach in this kind of situation ( a midseason termination). Outside of NCAA violations, I'm not sure how else you justify this.

MKAU
01-26-2009, 02:32 PM
We'll just see how it plays out then, MKAU. But, was Wimp fired midseason?Wimp was a likable dude. And I doubt he was under the microscope as much.

Personally I have no idea what's with this rumor of an affair. I've known to question his person for years.

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 02:34 PM
Whether Wimp was likable or not, the allegations agianst him were damning.

UA37
01-26-2009, 02:34 PM
There's more to the story. Mark Gottfried is questionable as a human being and it's beginning to come to light. That's probably why he got fired mid season. If it was just a case of him being a horrible coach, and always has been at Bama, then I would completely agree that the end of the season was the proper time.

Most humans are

MKAU
01-26-2009, 02:36 PM
Most humans are.....some more than others.

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 02:37 PM
I think all of us need to be a little bit more respectful... you can't base a person's character off of a rumor that could be very unfounded.

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 02:38 PM
I will say this... commiting adultery is a sin and it has it's eternal consequences, but can you really be fired as a basketball coach for commiting adultery? There's just got to be more to it than that.

MKAU
01-26-2009, 02:40 PM
I think all of us need to be a little bit more respectful... you can't base a person's character off of a rumor that could be very unfounded.I'm not basing my opinion off of rumors of an affair. However if it's true, it certainly doesn't help.

EDIT: It certainly doesn't help his case that he has a wonderful family, and to do that to them, well, getting fired midseason is just karma.

steelyvan
01-26-2009, 02:43 PM
kt, i am waiting to see how they justify it too. but i can assure you that "lackluster" was a rather kind adjective, imho. it is not always popular or easy to accept the explanation of the "employer" over the "employee" these days. and i don't know why they chose now vs the end of the season. but the end was coming for sure.

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Mal Moore has to have a good reason, otherwise, he's got mud on his face, too.

steelyvan
01-26-2009, 02:53 PM
you mean crap on his face?

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 03:06 PM
DO you really disagree with assessment?