Auburn Lady tigers move to 20-0 [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Auburn Lady tigers move to 20-0

AlienBeans
01-25-2009, 05:33 PM
Down Tennessee 82-68. Dewanna Bonner lead all scorers with 35 points including 14-16 from the Free throw line. Auburn lead at the half by 5, but opened it up in the second half and lead by as many as 22... Tennessee went on a 13-0 run late in the game to close it to 10 but auburn made its free throws down the stretch to secure the win. Oh, also the largest crowd to ever see a game at Auburn's Beard-Eaves-Memorial Coliseum sunday with official attendance announced at: 12,067.

Next up for the lady tigers is UGA thursday night in Athens

War Eagle!!!

BleedPurpleandGold
01-25-2009, 07:52 PM
Where the hell did Auburn come from this year? I know Tennessee, LSU, and UGA aren't as good this year as they've been in previous years but Auburn has a damn good team. I don't get it!

MKAU
01-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Where the hell did Auburn come from this year? I know Tennessee, LSU, and UGA aren't as good this year as they've been in previous years but Auburn has a damn good team. I don't get it!
Bonner has been one of the best players in the country for a long time. She's played with the national teams before. 4 starters are seniors so there is alot of chemistry. The 5th starter is a shooting guard who can fill it up (Pat Summit wanted her out of high school). The point guard is quick is lightning and can score at will but prefers to rack up assists. Auburn was picked to win the west this year.

Basically, the starting 5 is as good as any starting 5 in the country, and the 6th, ummmm, man? is a 6'7" wide body that other girls just can't get rebounds over.

Texaubie
01-25-2009, 08:30 PM
Fotner has done a great job with the lady Tigers once she got her feet in and settled.

GoBigO
01-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Impressive win by the Lady Tigers. The VOLS will be OK though...come March Pat Summitt will have them playing deep into the tournament as always.

AlienBeans
01-25-2009, 11:44 PM

Everything just came together at the right time. Fortner is in her 5th year at auburn, and has had success everywhere she goes. It was just a matter of time before she did the same thing at auburn. Back in the late 80's Auburn went to several final 4's and two title games but came up short each time, and even in those years, auburn didn't have the kind of crowd they had today. 12,067 is unbelievable, and i've seen reports in other places that it was likely closer to 13,000. I think its the first time in auburn's history that we've beaten tennessee by double digits.

We have 4 seniors in the starting 5, and teams just have no answer for Dewanna Bonner. She takes it inside at will, and then can step out and shoot the 3... She's got to be one of the top 5 players in the country, and may very well be #1.

Tennessee may have lost 4 games now, but this team is also quite good. Pat Summit is the premier coach in the game and they will make their customary tournament run. It's what they do. Beating tennessee today is HUGE for the program. They are the measuring stick to success in women's basketball. Forget uconn, the tennessee program will never be matched.

If tennessee is down a little, they won't be for long. Those girls can flat out play and will be hell to deal with down the stretch and for years to come.

It's a fun ride...We will enjoy it while we can.

WAR EAGLE!!

Texaubie
01-26-2009, 03:47 AM
Never count a Pat Summit team out. She is women's basketball.

rolling baby
01-26-2009, 09:19 AM
Yeah, it was a matter of time before a women's bball program stepped up in Alabama, unfortunately its aua doing the stepping. Fortner is a great proven coach, and is locking up the local talent.

Btw, aua went to 3 straight title games in the late 80s.