Vanderbilt@Florida [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Vanderbilt@Florida

scgamecock312
01-25-2009, 12:27 PM
Hoping for a good game. I meant Florida at Vandy. Oh well. Feel free to fix it if you like mods.

XPS
01-25-2009, 01:22 PM
The worst defense i have seen all year by any team, Vandy....

gatorchomp91
01-25-2009, 01:26 PM
56-37 UF at haltime. UF is 12-18 on 3's.

XPS
01-25-2009, 01:29 PM
56-37 UF at haltime. UF is 12-18 on 3's.

I guess Fla still thought they were in shoot around LOL...

steelyvan
01-25-2009, 01:42 PM
enjoy your jokes this year about Vandy cause next year we'll be 1 year older.....

GatorMan32
01-25-2009, 02:12 PM
Great to see Parsons getting going. Hopefully he can carry this on the rest of the year. Kadji and Walker are improving fast as freshmen too, which is big for our team.

UA37
01-25-2009, 02:17 PM
I can't believe Vandy is this bad this year. Florida shouldnt have dropped that one in Columbia. UF-UK is going to be HUGE again this year.

Gatorbabe
01-25-2009, 02:22 PM
Ugh I don't want to discuss UK.

Thanks Vandy for making us look so good. :)

GatorMan32
01-25-2009, 02:22 PM
can't miss free throws in a close game. i love that Parsons and Calathes went right to the gym to shoot them, though. Great commitment.

govandy0620
01-25-2009, 05:15 PM
I don't think it mattered if we would have had the best defensive players in the league playing today. Florida was on, period.

We are way down right now. ANYTHING positive for us would be nice right now.

The future is a bright thing, luckily.

swampmonster
01-25-2009, 05:19 PM
Nice win, good game Vandy.

SkyAntoine
01-25-2009, 05:36 PM
Ugh I don't want to discuss UK.

:wave: We'll be here when you're ready.:)

Vandy420
01-26-2009, 07:49 AM
Parsons was avg. 8 points per game, so he went off for 27 against us? Walker was averaging 6ppg. They both beat their averages in the first half. Florida just couldn't miss.

This is what I was saying about us needing a pure shooter, like UF has. Incase you still didn't get what Iw as trying to say in the other thread KT

Gatorbabe
01-26-2009, 08:33 AM
It was a combination of Florida shooting well and Vandy playing poor defense. I don't expect Florida to blow out a lot of teams simply because they live and die by the three.

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 02:02 PM
I've said all along that Vandy's defense was a little overrated, and I think it's showing here. Giving up over 40 in the second half vs UT, and then letting FLorida get 56 or so in the first half... and both performances were at home. They made Chandler Parsons look like the second coming of Tayshaun Prince.

I think a lot has been made about the lack of making opening shots (and that's a cocern), but that's the easiest thing to pinpoint. I think this team has some major defensive issues in the SEC that must get addressed.

XPS
01-26-2009, 02:17 PM
Does Vandy players rely to much on A.J? I thought they played better without A.J against the Cats....

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 02:19 PM
That could be part of the problem, too though. Ogilvy's just not producing like I thought he would. Chism outplayed him, and Florida held him in check.

Vandy420
01-26-2009, 02:34 PM
Ogilvy is hurt. He has been since before SEC play started. He has a heel injury that has been holding himback it seems. You can tell b/c he cannot run the floor well, and hardly ever leaves the floor when he goes for a rebound. He has not been playing good, and you can see the injury hampering him. Our young players just aren't producing. Before the Florida game every SEC loss we had could be attributed to missing our OPEN shots. THe Florida game, there was no excuse. I don;t care who you are, if your opponent shoots like UF did there is no chance in hell your gonna beat them. We played poorly in every area of the game. Poor shooting (which was the least of our problems vs. UF), poor rebounding, poor perimeter defense.

We had no answer for anyone on their team. We looked lost out there on both ends of the floor. Everytime we would get a nice play and get some energy, UF would drain a 3. Parsons averages like 6-8 points per game. He had 27!!!

We play poor perimeter D and got spanked b/c of it. This is the 1st team we have played all year that I can honestly say was 100% just a better team. Not to say we were better than any of the other, just that if we didn't miss so many wide open shots the games MIGHT have been different.

UF played lights out. They play like that, and it is going to be hard to stop them.

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 02:37 PM
We play poor perimeter D and got spanked b/c of it.

I noticed this as a bad trend right before the UT game, and you tried to defend against it. I think it's clear that part of UF's great shooting was aided by them having some space really. The defense just has to improve, because even if you're not making your open shots, you can keep somebody from scoring 94.

Vandy420
01-26-2009, 02:45 PM
Exactly, for some reason we all converge on the middle and leave 1-3 open players with wide open 3's. Florida is just the first team to actually hit them all haha and make us pay. It cost us in other games but we missed alot of open opportunities that could have kept us in the game. Vs. Florida it wouldn't have mattered, we were gonna lose no matter what, giving up that many open looks.

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 02:47 PM
Exactly... even though making open shots could have covered up the defensive mistakees in past games, it was pretty clear that Vandy was gonna have to improve defensively. Maybe now Stallings has the teams' undivided attention... I think it's easier to correct defense than it is offense, but Stallings has always been better on the offensive end anyway.

Vandy420
01-26-2009, 03:17 PM
We need offense alot more than defense right now. We have really only played 1 bad defensive game, and that was vs. Florida. The other SEC games we lost we played decent defense, but couldn't make the open shots we had that could have given us a win. Against Florida neither our offense or defense showed up so it didn't matter. Alot of the shots vs. UK and MSU that beat us were long low % shots late in the shot clock. For some reason MSU and UK was just throwing up wild shots and nailing them. I don;t know if it was playing good defense until the last 5 seconds of the shot clock, then giving them a long open look or what.

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 03:20 PM
Decent defense isn't enough though when you know you're in the offensive doldrums though. Defense stands out a lot more when you're putting the ball in the basket.

You make it seem like UK hit a vast majority of late shot clock shots... that's just not the case. We were up by 20 points in the second half, partially because of your defense. While Vandy could have scored more in the game to make it closer, Vandy could have also kept UK from scoring more I'd imagine.

Vandy420
01-26-2009, 03:37 PM
Uk hit 4-5 shots late in the shot clock from long range. MSU did it alot. During that stretch where UK went up by 20 points, Vandy couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. And it wasn't b/c the shots weren't there, but rather we could not hit our wide open looks. We created plenty of open shots, just couldn't hit them, while Uk did. Yes, that plays into our defensive effort, but we played relatively good D. Vandy controlled the first half until the last minute with good defense and decent O. Then UK made the late run in the half. The 2nd half we couldn't hit anything, it was pathetic.

This team definitly shows how young they are.

Also, after you arguing Vandy and UF aren't that far apart in how young they are, they went over this on the broadcast.

Vandy starting 5: (1) JR, (1) SO, (3) FR
UF Starting 5: (1) SR, (1) JR, (3) SO.

There is a big difference there in experience.

kentubbybasketball
01-26-2009, 03:44 PM
UK is shooting 51% from the floor, so that means we typically execute our offense for what it's worth. I think at one point Vandy's defense % was tops in the nation, and to me that was just shocking.

Last I checked, it's not just starters that play... Florida's first five off the bench are nothing but freshmen I believe... and they were on the road, which makes their inexperience that much more problematic.

VandyChuck
01-27-2009, 10:24 AM
I think we need to shut AJ down for an extended period if this is all we can get out him. Maybe if he sits for 3 weeks or so, he'll be ready for the home stretch.

He's just not giving us anything right now, and considering he's our best player amongst a sea of inexperience, that's not a formula for winning.

orange&white
01-27-2009, 12:43 PM
We need offense alot more than defense right now. We have really only played 1 bad defensive game, and that was vs. Florida. The other SEC games we lost we played decent defense, but couldn't make the open shots we had that could have given us a win. Against Florida neither our offense or defense showed up so it didn't matter. Alot of the shots vs. UK and MSU that beat us were long low % shots late in the shot clock. For some reason MSU and UK was just throwing up wild shots and nailing them. I don;t know if it was playing good defense until the last 5 seconds of the shot clock, then giving them a long open look or what.

They didn't play good defense against UT either. UT shot 50% from the field.

Vandy420
01-27-2009, 12:49 PM
We played good enough defense to win the game, if we would have only made our open shots.

I agree chuck, AJ needs to sit until he is 100%. With his hurt heel and flu/ cold he has he is doing us no good. We need to sit him until he is back to full strength and can be affective.

orange&white
01-27-2009, 03:12 PM
We played good enough defense to win the game, if we would have only made our open shots.

I agree chuck, AJ needs to sit until he is 100%. With his hurt heel and flu/ cold he has he is doing us no good. We need to sit him until he is back to full strength and can be affective.

Giving up 50% shooting is not good enough to win hardly any games unless you have one of the best offenses in the country.

VandyChuck
01-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Giving up 50% shooting is not good enough to win hardly any games unless you have one of the best offenses in the country.

10%, 50%, 100%...that number doesn't matter. We gave up 76 points to UT which is too many (but ironically, is only a point more than UT is giving up on average over the whole year), but hardly unbeatable "unless you have one of the best offenses in the country".

orange&white
01-27-2009, 04:25 PM
10%, 50%, 100%...that number doesn't matter. We gave up 76 points to UT which is too many (but ironically, is only a point more than UT is giving up on average over the whole year), but hardly unbeatable "unless you have one of the best offenses in the country".

It is for the amount of possessions that were in that game. UT has completely quit pressing and they are working the shot clock way more than any team Pearl has ever had the last 3 or 4 games. UT's scoring is going to come way down because of this. They aren't playing anywhere close to the same style as they did they first 15 games so it really isn't a fair comparison. Either way your not going to beat a team when to give 50% shooting unless A.) You shoot 50+% yourself, B.) Cause way more turnovers, or C.) Get to free throw line a ton. Either way you have to do something very, very well to make up for giving up that type of shooting. I wasn't saying it was impossible to overcome, just saying your not going to win the majority of those games if "you just knock down open jump shots" like 420 suggests. You can win that way, but its not going to happen consistently, look at UT for example.