Fool me once, shame on you...fool me 2,345 times, shame on me. [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Fool me once, shame on you...fool me 2,345 times, shame on me.

batmanthelegend
01-24-2009, 08:17 PM
What happened out there today in the Bud was an embarrassment beyond epic proportions. No effort, STILL poor shooting, STILL bad defense in all areas, etc.

What was once a promising season with wins over the Big 12 best has turned into one were we have had to come back and make excuses about being too young or a team that has too many flaws to compete in a mediocre at best SEC. Even thought the history of college basketball has showed us that inexperienced teams (Michigan's Fab Five, Syracuse 2003, NorthCarolina 2000, Arkansas 1993) and teams with flaws ( Tennessee 2006, UAB 2003, Villinova 2006) can have success in both conference and non conference play.

The bottom line is this...no matter how inexperienced or how many flaws are in this lineup....This is the Arkansas Razorback basketball program, and what has happened so far this conference season has been an absolute disgrace to the tradition. Thesesame type of losses were happening HEATH's first and second years...but then the SEC was good and the Hogs lacked major talent. That was SEVEN years ago....we haven't grow in those 7 years one bit....and all you ever here is how we are missing this or that, how we are gonna be so good when so and so comes in next year to fit the missing piece to the puzzle, or how YOUNG we are....WE have been young or missing something guys for 13 seasons now!

Guys something has to happen. Recruiting has GOT to get better...we won't win any championships with the caliber of players we have right now. Fortson is a sporadic Kareem Reid. Clarke is a poor mans Pat Bradley. Sanchez isn't SEC talent. Welsh is a role player at best and our Freshman post are projects at best. The only real bright spot on the team is Michael Washington, but ask Joe Johnson, Joe Smith, or Larry Hughes how easy it is to win championships when your the lone star on a team...its not.

Things have to change my fellow Hog fans. We have got to start getting the top talent again, this program deserves it and the fans for damn sure deserve it. We need McDonald's All-Americans. We have to get top coaching again too, and I'm not sure if Pelphrey has that and the ability to recruit or not. I think we can all see things won't be much better next year.

Until these things change you can welcome mediocrity because that's all we will be getting out of this program, the same kind of mediocrity we have received the past 13 seasons. We need change....the legacy of the program, and the fans deserve it.

I'm sick of it and there will be no more of me getting my hopes up until results are made.

Batman

Just Some Hog Dude
01-24-2009, 08:30 PM
You get rattled easy. Hopefully our team is more resilient. This is year one for Pelphrey as far as I am concerned.

BamaHoHo
01-24-2009, 08:30 PM
What happened out there today in the Bud was an embarrassment beyond epic proportions. No effort, STILL poor shooting, STILL bad defense in all areas, etc.

What was once a promising season with wins over the Big 12 best has turned into one were we have had to come back and make excuses about being too young or a team that has too many flaws to compete in a mediocre at best SEC. Even thought the history of college basketball has showed us that inexperienced teams (Michigan's Fab Five, Syracuse 2003, NorthCarolina 2000, Arkansas 1993) and teams with flaws ( Tennessee 2006, UAB 2003, Villinova 2006) can have success in both conference and non conference play.

The bottom line is this...no matter how inexperienced or how many flaws are in this lineup....This is the Arkansas Razorback basketball program, and what has happened so far this conference season has been an absolute disgrace to the tradition. Thesesame type of losses were happening HEATH's first and second years...but then the SEC was good and the Hogs lacked major talent. That was SEVEN years ago....we haven't grow in those 7 years one bit....and all you ever here is how we are missing this or that, how we are gonna be so good when so and so comes in next year to fit the missing piece to the puzzle, or how YOUNG we are....WE have been young or missing something guys for 13 seasons now!

Guys something has to happen. Recruiting has GOT to get better...we won't win any championships with the caliber of players we have right now. Fortson is a sporadic Kareem Reid. Clarke is a poor mans Pat Bradley. Sanchez isn't SEC talent. Welsh is a role player at best and our Freshman post are projects at best. The only real bright spot on the team is Michael Washington, but ask Joe Johnson, Joe Smith, or Larry Hughes how easy it is to win championships when your the lone star on a team...its not.

Things have to change my fellow Hog fans. We have got to start getting the top talent again, this program deserves it and the fans for damn sure deserve it. We need McDonald's All-Americans. We have to get top coaching again too, and I'm not sure if Pelphrey has that and the ability to recruit or not. I think we can all see things won't be much better next year.

Until these things change you can welcome mediocrity because that's all we will be getting out of this program, the same kind of mediocrity we have received the past 13 seasons. We need change....the legacy of the program, and the fans deserve it.

I'm sick of it and there will be no more of me getting my hopes up until results are made.

Batman

I thought we were supposed to mark your words.

batmanthelegend
01-24-2009, 08:35 PM
You get rattled easy. Hopefully our team is more resilient. This is year one for Pelphrey as far as I am concerned.

I'm glad you are enjoying the excuses of youth and the "missing peice" for the past 13 seasons bud...the way things are going you'll be able to enjoy those things for the numerous more years to come! Yay!

REBEL5 AC
01-24-2009, 08:37 PM
At least Arkansas still has tight gear.

XPS
01-24-2009, 08:47 PM
I think most would have took the bet that Arkansas wouldn't be 0-4 in the SEC after beating Texas and Okl...

BleedBlue7
01-24-2009, 08:49 PM
The Razorbacks will be fine in the future. Wait a few years until Pelphery has his players and his system set in stone.

PiggoBitttys
01-24-2009, 08:51 PM
The team was simply playing over their heads when they beat TX and OU. I knew they weren't as good as they were playing. Turns out they're much worse.

I didn't have high expectations going into the year, I think I predicted 17 wins or so, perhaps the NIT. Right now, we have 12 wins. So 5 SEC wins would get us to that. That's still in reach if they can start playing decent, but we'll see.

We were replacing 9 players and we just don't have enough talent. Marcus Britt, Michael Sanchez, Brandon Moore, Andre Clark, these guys just don't add anything offensively. Monk doesn't add that much either on offense most of the time.

We could not score today, 51 points at home. Fortson can't hit the broad side of the barn if she's shooting from further than the free throw line (sometimes at the free throw line too). Welsh and Clarke are inconsistent from the perimeter. Miss. State exposed a weakness, double team Mike Washington and he will kick it back to someone very quickly. And that player is likely much less dangerous with the ball than Mike. If we had other guys that could score, it would be OK. But Washington in the post, Fortson if he drives can score sometimes, and Welsh and Clarke are the only ones who can shoot from the outside, and they are both inconsistent.

We need Henry's offense, but he got hurt today and it just seems impossible to have him in the lineup enough to get him going.

I haven't even mentioned the D because there's not much to mention. Sometimes they aren't even trying, or they're just not thinking. Lack of rotation, player sticking with double teams when they shouldn't. Auburn could pass it around the perimeter 3 or 4 times and get a wide open 3. It was pathetic D today.

This Hogs team is in need of some soul searching, they need to find themselves defensively and show some real passion. And Pelphrey needs to get some more players who can score. We have too many non-offensive players in the rotation.

OffThePorch
01-24-2009, 10:06 PM
to me its not so much that ARK is losing... but its not even close lately. i cant believe ARK lost at home to AU by 20 points. ouch.

NCMISSSTFAN
01-24-2009, 10:18 PM

Batman

I can honestly say I understand how you are probably feeling, I've watched Oklahoma and Texas this season a few times each and they are very good teams, especially Oklahoma. For Arkansas to beat those two teams says a whole lot to me. You still have to understand how young your guys are, we have a very young team as well so we relate as fans here. I think that loss at home to us really set the tone for the way things have gone for you just because of the way your schedule was set up, you went on the road to OM then Florida, we all know how hard it is to win on the road. After losing those two games, the players then start doubting themselves and before you know it, your season goes south.

Give it time, you have a very young but talented team. I expect us and you guys to be on top of the west in the next few years.

But, if it were us in your shoes, I would be saying the same things you are.

batmanthelegend
01-24-2009, 10:34 PM
Guys, we DON'T have it....we aren't even close to having peices to win any type of championship.

Rumors are that one of two of our SEC talented players has gotten a big head and thinks he is a 1 and done type player. Lose that and then what do you have to go with Pels mediocre recuiting class for next year? Another losing year.

Its gonna take a long long time to get this straightened out, and I'm thinking it will be someone oher than Pelphrey that will really have to turn this around. Someone who is goin to come in and bring in McDonalds all Americans who ARE difference makers.

PiggoBitttys
01-24-2009, 10:45 PM
Nobody on this team should have any realistic thoughts of going to the NBA after this year.

Just Some Hog Dude
01-24-2009, 11:21 PM
Nobody on this team should have any realistic thoughts of going to the NBA after this year.

Yeah but Olu....

UA37
01-25-2009, 03:22 PM
Let Akansas win 2 games in a row and you will be screaming about championships again.

Herchel
01-26-2009, 07:20 AM
There is one bright spot. UGA is on your schedule.

sabanocchio
01-26-2009, 07:25 AM
My how the attitude has changed in Hogville...

Just Some Hog Dude
01-26-2009, 07:08 PM

...kinda like UT football of late. It is just crazy!

PiggoBitttys
01-26-2009, 11:18 PM

What else can happen after beating two straight top 10 teams to losing 4 in a row?

Orangetd88
01-27-2009, 09:34 PM
I was at that game & you guys are not very good right now.

Washington needs to be more aggressive and Sanchez needs to be on the bench if he is gonna touch passes from under the goal.

And you guys needs to play some perimeter d.

Doyle Hargraves
01-28-2009, 11:23 AM

Batman

I agree with all of this wholeheartedly! It also shouldn't take but two years (at most) to rebuild a Basketball team IMO. By the looks of who we're bringing in next year... It's not going to be much different! I like Pel's enthusiasm, fire, style of play, etc... But he doesn't seem to be getting it done in recruiting.

*Rep to the Bat for bringing the troof!