the TRUTH on R. Steele????? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : the TRUTH on R. Steele?????

msudawg4life
01-24-2009, 07:04 PM
Anyone really know the TRUTH? They were talking about him in the MSU/UGA game on espn2 and they are saying out of R. Steele's own mouth that his departure from the Bama basketball program is NOT injury related...something in T-Town is def not smelling right....with all Bama has done for that kid he SHOULD stick through the season with them and help as much as he can.

sabanocchio
01-24-2009, 07:05 PM
Old news. Gottfried pissed him off. He mentioned that things weren't done in his best interest at times. I assume he means Gottfried trying to play him hurt. Who knows. Gottfried should have been out last year.

ConwayGamecock
01-24-2009, 07:08 PM
Steele: injury "not the reason" for departure

Tuscaloosa News
By Cecil Hurt, Sports Editor
Published: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 at 12:18 p.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 at 2:54 p.m.
Former University of Alabama point guard Ronald Steele said Wednesday that his decision to leave the Crimson Tide basketball team was based on factors other than the plantar fasciitis injury that sidelined him for the past two games.

UA announced Steele's departure in a release on Tuesday night.

Steele issued his own statement on Wednesday, saying his physical condition was "definitely not the reason I am leaving the team."

The statement, which Steele read in a telephone interview, said:

"First, I want to thank God for blessing me with the opportunity to play at the University of Alabama and play with all my teammates who I still love very much. The fan support has been great. In fact, all the support I have received has been great. I am thankful for the friendships I have made.

"As it stands now, with my physical condition, I have Plantar Fasciitis, which is a small but painful condition many players have. It is definitely not the reason I am leaving the team. After many hours of praying and consulting with my family, teammates and close friends, I have decided it is in my best interests to move on.

"I love the University of Alabama. This is not a reflection on the University as a whole. I wish them the best of luck in the future and I will continue to support my teammates wholeheartedly. I hope my brother (Andrew) will feel the same love for the University that I have developed.

"I want to thank all the people who have supported me, particularly the media that gave me and my family so much positive recognition."

After reading the statement, Steele clarified by saying that "it wasn't an isolated event" that led to his decision.

"I just felt that there were decisions that I didn't feel were in my best interests. I'll leave it at that."

Steele said he "could have" been physically able to return from his foot injury and said he plans to continue playing basketball in the future for "as long as I can."

Asked directly about any conflict with UA head coach Mark Gottfried, Steele said only "this was the best decision for me and I want to leave it at that."

And I'll also leave it at that......

BamaHoHo
01-24-2009, 07:29 PM
Old news. Gottfried pissed him off. He mentioned that things weren't done in his best interest at times. I assume he means Gottfried trying to play him hurt. Who knows. Gottfried should have been out last year.

Should have been gone 2 years ago.

NCMISSSTFAN
01-24-2009, 09:08 PM
I wonder how this will effect his brother? I heard this during the game too, it was news to me.

msudawg4life
01-24-2009, 09:18 PM
Oh ok, I'm sorry.....I had not heard of anything until tonight either....till tonight all i heard was Bama fans playing the injury card for Steele's departure...Then i heard them say his bro told MArk G. he was sticking it out and that sounded fishy..like something else had happened. Thanks for the update....

BamaHoHo
01-24-2009, 11:47 PM
I wonder how this will effect his brother? I heard this during the game too, it was news to me.

Seems to be happy (but how happy?). He is getting a decent amount of playing time. He & Green are good friends. Ron stated that he hoped his brother would grow to love the University as much as he does. On top of that, he will more than likely be playing for another coach next year.