Why No Talk about Memphis vs Tennessee? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Why No Talk about Memphis vs Tennessee?

kentubbybasketball
01-23-2009, 03:49 PM
Granted, last year's game was 1 vs 2, but it's still the two best teams in the state of TN going at it. Two coaches that can't stand each other.

SkyAntoine
01-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Just an observation, but I've been disappointed in the interest in some of the game threads or discussion leading up to non-Kentucky SEC games.

Arkansas threads were hopping after the two big upsets and USC over Florida, but otherwise interest seems to be down. Do we need to recruit more basketball fans to the board?

kentubbybasketball
01-23-2009, 03:57 PM
Probably. The people I had recruited to the board... let's just say we have some differences on another board, and I' doubt they come back over here.

It seems like basketball interest is down this year, and I must say, mine is too. I've not been into it like I have been, but it's my first basketball season since I graduated from college.

OffThePorch
01-23-2009, 04:18 PM
got a jackass on here that runs people off.

go UT!

UA37
01-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Just an observation, but I've been disappointed in the interest in some of the game threads or discussion leading up to non-Kentucky SEC games.

Arkansas threads were hopping after the two big upsets and USC over Florida, but otherwise interest seems to be down. Do we need to recruit more basketball fans to the board?

Not a lot of SEC fans are confident in their teams.

VandyChuck
01-23-2009, 04:26 PM
Hard to sift through a thousand different threads about 1 team (that basically say the same thing) and NOT expect some people to get a little annoyed and stay away.

LSUTigers1404
01-23-2009, 04:27 PM
I'm actually pretty excited about LSU hoops right now. I will be watching our game against Xavier Saturday. It's coming on ESPN 2 at 7 pm central time. Xavier is #13 in the nation.

kentubbybasketball
01-23-2009, 04:30 PM
Hard to sift through a thousand different threads about 1 team (that basically say the same thing) and NOT expect some people to get a little annoyed and stay away.

There have been quite a few Bama threads this week, but there's nothing wrong with that. I assume your reference is about Kentucky, although, there's been fewer UK related threads than bama threads, if you want to get technical.

VandyChuck
01-23-2009, 04:33 PM
There have been quite a few Bama threads this week, but there's nothing wrong with that. I assume your reference is about Kentucky, although, there's been fewer UK related threads than bama threads, if you want to get technical.

I think you need to count again.

kentubbybasketball
01-23-2009, 04:37 PM
6 UK threads this week (other than the two game threads... that everybody has). That's like one thread a day about Kentucky.

We've had about that many "CMG is getting fired, let's bring in Tubby" threads alone.

It doesn't bother me, considering UK is the class of the league traditionally and seemingly at the present, I don't think 6 UK threads a week is bad at all.

UA37
01-23-2009, 04:45 PM
I think you need to count again.

This.

There's actual news going on with the Bama basketball program. The UK threads are just the "we're better than you" type threads.

kentubbybasketball
01-23-2009, 04:47 PM
There's no news coming from Bama, other than the Ronald Steele stuff. The CMG (which has hogged most of the Bama threads) is all rumors... not anymore relevant than any threads pertaining to UK.

UA37
01-23-2009, 04:50 PM
There's no news coming from Bama, other than the Ronald Steele stuff. The CMG (which has hogged most of the Bama threads) is all rumors... not anymore relevant than any threads pertaining to UK.

yeah, just the Ron Steele stuff.... That's pretty big news imo. Bama basketball has been a freaking soap opera lately. About the rumors, that's pretty much what happens on message boards.

kentubbybasketball
01-23-2009, 05:00 PM
And, the UK threads from this week happen on message boards too, and they are much more prevalent anywhere else you go. This is tame.

SkyAntoine
01-23-2009, 05:01 PM
I don't pay as much attention to the thread count as the thread activity. Threads are easy to ignore if you don't want to participate (as are posters), but there appears to be less interests even in the "non-partisan" threads.

SkyAntoine
01-23-2009, 05:04 PM
This.

There's actual news going on with the Bama basketball program. The UK threads are just the "we're better than you" type threads.

I have made a pact with myself to limit any boastfulness to my sig rather than any posts I might make. :)

GoBigO
01-23-2009, 05:38 PM
Tennessee / Memphis...tomorrow...let's talk about it.

SkyAntoine
01-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Memphis is sitting at #1 in Conference USA...:rotf:...I'll take UT.

I was glad to hear about Tyler's meeting with the guys. It shows the Vols have heart. I really think you guys make a strong run down the stretch. (I just hope nobody takes out Meeks during the tip-off when you come to Rupp.:))

GoBigO
01-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Tennessee: 12-5, 3-1 SEC
Memphis: 15-3, 5-0 C-USA

Who you got???

I say, Tennessee in a close one.

kentubbybasketball
01-23-2009, 05:48 PM
With it being at UT, I'm going with UT by about 7. I'm not confident in Memphis' point guard play... and TBA is a hostile environment... tough to win there even if you have the Ty Lawson I'd imagine. I also think Memphis' three point shooting could cost them here. But, this will be a great defensive test for UT nonetheless, Memphis is of course gonna try to create off their drives... that's their system--AASAA. If UT can close off the lanes a good amount of the time, it says a lot about their defense IMO.

orange&white
01-23-2009, 06:32 PM
Nail hitting coffin.............:thumb:

orange&white
01-23-2009, 06:36 PM
UT has played better defense against teams that like to drive. The teams that shoot from the perimeter really well have killed UT. Usaully happens when you give up wide open 3's. Memphis doesn't shoot well and I just can't see UT losing 3 home games in a month.

Vols 71
Tigers 66

Tennessee
01-24-2009, 10:28 AM
Every time I discuss the team we are playing today, people on here get on to me for not liking them, so I'm not bringing them up anymore

Tennessee
01-24-2009, 03:28 PM
About 10 minutes til tip-off...God's Country v. The land of Mayor King Willie and the Ford Family...

Go Big Orange

Tennessee
01-24-2009, 03:44 PM
By my count, 5 offensive rebounds for the Tigers in three possessions...we got to get on the boards

Tennessee
01-24-2009, 03:46 PM
Why is Brian Williams shooting from beyond the 3-pt line? :banghead:

sabanocchio
01-24-2009, 04:09 PM
The Vols are using the same approach that we used against Vandy and it's worked for the most part. Force Memphis to score from outside. They are hitting some of them, but the odds favor us if we keep it up. Actually playing some zone in this game. Not a bad idea.

Tennessee
01-24-2009, 04:34 PM
One point game at the half...Game has gone about as expected...Willie Kemp thugging it up...Shocker :sarcasm:

Hope we come out hot in the 2nd half

I like the way the SEC spaced out these games...I got to watch the first 15 game minutes of the KY/Bama game, flipped over to the UT game, now I get to see the last 10 minutes of this game before the UT game comes back on...Kudos to the SEC

bballpro408
01-24-2009, 04:53 PM
Memphis is finding their stroke. They'll probably slow down shortly though.

sabanocchio
01-24-2009, 04:56 PM
They are just hitting them from outside which is uncharacteristic of them. We have to attack more on offense and go more aggressively after rebounds.

Memphis is not this good.

sabanocchio
01-24-2009, 04:57 PM
Gotta do that right there. Force them into bad shots from outside and rebound the miss.

sabanocchio
01-24-2009, 04:58 PM
YEAH!!!! SLAM by Prince.

sabanocchio
01-24-2009, 05:14 PM
What a game this is turning out to be.

LSUTigers1404
01-24-2009, 05:15 PM
Not sure how many people are watching this, but this is a great game. Go Vols!

sabanocchio
01-24-2009, 05:18 PM
It is a great one. Tune in if you can. Memphis leads with the ball 7:00 left.

Djshockley3
01-24-2009, 05:38 PM
Memphis up by 1 with 4 sec left.

sabanocchio
01-24-2009, 05:47 PM
Too bad. We just aren't very good right now. We had the right ideas. Coaching was good. Execution fell short. At least it wasn't a conference loss. We'll survive.

Tennessee
01-24-2009, 05:48 PM
Too many TOs when we were trying to make a run

Thugs like Kemp and Taggart (combined with their fans) are the reason I hate Memphis St...Hope to see them again in March

bballpro408
01-24-2009, 10:09 PM
When Anderson hit that 3 at the half, I knew it could be the difference in the game.

GoBigO
01-25-2009, 09:23 PM
I hate losing to those guys! :zipit:

Oh well...our guys will be OK. I think we'll still make the tournament this year.

GoBigO
01-26-2009, 12:40 PM
BTW,
Stupid azz fans calling morning sports talk shows ripping Pearl and wondering how much longer Mike Hamilton would put up with this nonsense. :rotf: Seriously...no joke!

Geez, win the SEC outright last year and have arguably the best 4 season stretch in programs history and some dumb fans have memory loss and think our program is historically one of the greatest in college basketball. :rolleyes:

RailroadGin
01-26-2009, 12:43 PM
I was thinking Tennessee would be more of a threat from the perimeter. It looks like that is one area they are lacking in that really affects their ability to win. Chism and Tyler Smith are great players, but teams are going to pack it in and make someone hit from the outside. Wasn't Hopson and Negedu supposed to fill that role?

GoBigO
01-26-2009, 12:46 PM
I was thinking Tennessee would be more of a threat from the perimeter. It looks like that is one area they are lacking in that really affects their ability to win. Chism and Tyler Smith are great players, but teams are going to pack it in and make someone hit from the outside. Wasn't Hopson and Negedu supposed to fill that role?

Make us miss JaJuan Smith and Chris Lofton that much more. LOL

Not sure about Negedu but Pearl was hoping Hopson, Maze and Tatum would be playing more consistent ball by now I would guess. Plus, like you said the outside shooting has been so inconsistent. The D seems to be getting better so now if we could get more outside 3s to land it would help a ton.

sabanocchio
01-26-2009, 12:47 PM
Hopson and Woolridge more than Negedu. I'm not real sure of his outside shot. He's an inside scorer.

That has been the biggest problem for us this year other than defense, which is easier to fix, perimeter shooting. We don't have a guy that's a real threat there like a Chris Lofton or a JuJuan Smith that requires extra attention so teams are able to defend a smaller area which makes driving and penetration that much more difficult.

RailroadGin
01-26-2009, 12:49 PM
Hopson and Woolridge more than Negedu. I'm not real sure of his outside shot. He's an inside scorer.

That has been the biggest problem for us this year other than defense, which is easier to fix, perimeter shooting. We don't have a guy that's a real threat there like a Chris Lofton or a JuJuan Smith that requires extra attention so teams are able to defend a smaller area which makes driving and penetration that much more difficult.

If I were Pearl, I would have recruited him just to have Marissa Miller at my games.