Florida @ Vandy [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Florida @ Vandy

VandyChuck
01-22-2009, 11:38 AM
Sunday 12:30 on CBS

Which Florida player is gonna be Stallings' ***** this year? :rotf:

No, really...We have to get some shots to start falling or we're in trouble. My head says Florida 68-60, but my heart says we'll have the shooting day we're due for and win 76-68.

Vandy420
01-22-2009, 12:25 PM
I hope so, if we can't at least hit our open shots it will be a replay of the UT, Uk, and MSU games. We need to work on shooting. I guess it is a luxory we have had for so long, we aren't used to not having a big time shooter. John Jenkins can't get to Vandy soon enough.

Should be a good game though. Tough matchup.

SkyAntoine
01-22-2009, 12:29 PM
Go Dores!

Cherish my endorsement, boys, it's about the only one you'll get from me this year. :D

Dawg
01-22-2009, 12:43 PM
I think Vandy wins, something like 65-60.

kentubbybasketball
01-22-2009, 12:44 PM
Sky, I'm right there with you. I think Vandy is out of contention for the SEC race, but Florida is still in the thick of it with only one game back. For our purpose a Vandy win would put Florida two losses back and vandy would still be three back.

With that said, Florida will have the best player on the court. It'll be interesting to see how Florida's young guys play at Memorial, which hasn't been as intimidating as it was the past few years. I think the first 5 guys off Florida's bench are freshmen, so that could challenge them playing at Memorial. I think if Calathes can lead these guys (and they follow his lead), Florida should win by 8.

Vandy420
01-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Are you serious? You think b/c what 4 games into the SEC schedule teams are already eliminated? Your UK/lady vol fanhood has gotten you delusional. You act like UK is unbeatable, and there is no way anyone other than UT and UF can catch them. Are you crazy or just buying into the catspause disease?

VandyChuck
01-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Sky, I'm right there with you. I think Vandy is out of contention for the SEC race,

My God, we've only played 4 games.

kentubbybasketball
01-22-2009, 12:50 PM
Chuck, I know, but UK would have to lose 4 games and Vandy no more for you to take over first place. And, that's just UK: UT, LSU, and Florida are in better positions as well. With how Vandy has played, if they can play themselves back into the top of the race. Stranger things have happened though.

Gatorbabe
01-22-2009, 12:55 PM
I'm not looking forward to this game.

VandyChuck
01-22-2009, 01:06 PM
Chuck, I know, but UK would have to lose 4 games and Vandy no more for you to take over first place. And, that's just UK: UT, LSU, and Florida are in better positions as well. With how Vandy has played, if they can play themselves back into the top of the race. Stranger things have happened though.

We're only 3 games behind UK. If we end up tied, I think the tiebreaker is division record.

orange&white
01-22-2009, 01:12 PM
We're only 3 games behind UK. If we end up tied, I think the tiebreaker is division record.

3 games back is a ton. Vandy would pretty much have to win out or only lose one game to win the SEC. That ain't going to happen. Siding with kentubby on something feels weird :doh:.

Vandy420
01-22-2009, 01:14 PM
I'm not saying we are going to win the SEC, but to say we are already out of it is idiotic. KT seems to think UK has it already in the bag.

orange&white
01-22-2009, 01:19 PM
I'm not saying we are going to win the SEC, but to say we are already out of it is idiotic. KT seems to think UK has it already in the bag.

I think he was saying out of the SEC Title race, but I could be wrong. Of course Vandy isn't out of the race for those last couple of bids to the NCAA tourney.

VandyChuck
01-22-2009, 01:21 PM
3 games back is a ton. Vandy would pretty much have to win out or only lose one game to win the SEC. That ain't going to happen. Siding with kentubby on something feels weird :doh:.

Not saying we'll win out or anything, but considering our youth, Vandy has as much room for improvement as anybody and the ceiling is HUGE for these guys. Just gotta get some shots to start falling.

kentubbybasketball
01-22-2009, 02:29 PM

I believe you are right. You've already lost to UT at home, and we beat UT at home... so I'd say right now, UK has a major leg up on that "tiebreaker" should it come down to it. But, Vandy has to play near flawlessly in order to get back in IMO... and Vandy isn't going to all of a suddent start making open threes they've missed all season long.

Being 3 games back after only 4 or 5 games play is a ton.

kentubbybasketball
01-22-2009, 02:30 PM

If you actually read my point, you wouldn't have to use the word "seems." I said not only UK but UT, LSU, and Florida are in better sitautions than vandy. Get over yourself.

kentubbybasketball
01-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Not saying we'll win out or anything, but considering our youth, Vandy has as much room for improvement as anybody and the ceiling is HUGE for these guys. Just gotta get some shots to start falling.

Seems like that youth argument would work better for Florida though, seeing as how other than Hodge they have a sophomore/freshman team. They have a great ceiling, but they are two games ahead too.

VandyChuck
01-22-2009, 02:55 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Florida has a senior (Hodge), a junior (Werner), and three sophomores (Calathes, Parsons, Tyus) in their starting lineup. Yes, they rely on freshmen for depth.

Vandy has a junior (Beal), 2 sophs (McClellan, Ogilvy), and two freshmen (Tinsley, Taylor) in their starting lineup...with Ezili, Tcheingang and Goulbourne (all freshmen) being the first 3 off the bench.

Vandy has the eighth (http://kenpom.com/height.php?y=2009&s=ExpRank) youngest team in the country.

kentubbybasketball
01-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Yeah, I did forget Werner, but I think UF's first 4 or 5 off the bench are nothing but freshmen. vandy's experience was rated at I believe 0.78 on the link you showed... Florida's is 1.08... now I'm not quite sure what all goes into Ken Pomeroy's experience formula, but from what I can see Vandy rounds up to 1 (one year?) and UF is hovering around one. There is not much difference. If you can use the potential argument for Vandy, you certainly must use it for Florida... and when you factor in that UF is actually two games ahead (which is more important than Pomeroy's formula)... I say, as in tennis:

ADVANTAGE: FLORIDA

Vandy420
01-22-2009, 03:04 PM
Vandy this year is much like Florida was last year, not like they are this year.

kentubbybasketball
01-22-2009, 03:09 PM
I'm sure Florida last year would have loved to bring back an 'Andrew Ogilvy,' even if his progression hasn't been that stark. Not to mention a solid PG that understands the system.

orange&white
01-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Pretty crazy how young the SEC is.

Ole Miss (0.68)-343rd out of 344 on experience
Arkansas (0.74)-338th
Vandy (0.78)-337th
Mississippi State (1.06)-320th
Florida (1.08)-318th
Tennessee (1.23)-295th
Kentucky (1.26)-287th
Georgia (1.31)-274th

kentubbybasketball
01-22-2009, 03:24 PM
I guess UK is pretty young too then. On average our players are "freshman level" experience too.

VandyChuck
01-22-2009, 03:45 PM
Vandy this year is much like Florida was last year, not like they are this year.

exactly.

msudawg4life
01-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Pretty crazy how young the SEC is.

Ole Miss (0.68)-343rd out of 344 on experience
Arkansas (0.74)-338th
Vandy (0.78)-337th
Mississippi State (1.06)-320th
Florida (1.08)-318th
Tennessee (1.23)-295th
Kentucky (1.26)-287th
Georgia (1.31)-274th

and people wonder why the SEC is down.....the good thing about this is that is changes

Vandy420
01-22-2009, 04:08 PM
We would love to be bringing back a shooter like Calathes or hodge. Remember as good as he was, AJ Ogilvy was only a true freshman last year.

kentubbybasketball
01-22-2009, 05:06 PM
We would love to be bringing back a shooter like Calathes or hodge. Remember as good as he was, AJ Ogilvy was only a true freshman last year.

Good point, but nevermind the fact that Calathes was only a true freshman last year, also.

govandy0620
01-22-2009, 10:10 PM
Bottom line is this. If we don't beat Florida Sunday, you can go ahead and write us off for just about everything. Well, maybe not NIT. We HAVE to win this game Sunday.

Vandy420
01-23-2009, 10:00 AM
I was pointing out that the biggest piece we are missing, that has lost us our 3 SEC gams we have lost, is a great shooter like Calethas. If we had a guy that could hit a high % of at least his wide open shots, we would likely only have MAYBE 1 SEC loss. We lost all 3 games basically b/c we couldn't hit our open shots. We were in all 3 games and had chances to make a run and take the lead, but instead missed open looks and gave the ball back to the opposing team, who hit their open looks, and their tough shots. If we could just hit our open looks we would be in good shape. We need a shooter bad, Jenkins will help a ton next year. This team could be scary good next year and the years after.

kentubbybasketball
01-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Oh, and here I remember Vandy telling us about how Tinsley had the highest three point shooting percentage in the SEC a few weeks ago. I'd take Tinsley's shooting in a heartbeat.

Vandy420
01-23-2009, 03:31 PM
He hasn't been hitting that many lately, everyone on our team is in a shooting slump.

UA37
01-23-2009, 03:38 PM
I think Florida takes this one. UF 74-65