WOW, Gamecocks win 70-69 over Florida [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : WOW, Gamecocks win 70-69 over Florida

SECgamecock453
01-21-2009, 10:14 PM
COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Zam Fredrick's layup as time expired lifted South Carolina to 70-69 victory over No. 24 Florida.

The Gamecocks (13-4, 2-2 Southeastern Conference) trailed 67-60 with less than three minutes left. Devan Downey began the comeback with four straight foul shots and his 3-pointer with 26.5 seconds left cut the lead to 69-67.

After Nick Calathes missed a foul shot, Fredrick had the chance to tie the game as he went to the line with 4.7 seconds to go but missed his second attempt.

Chandler Parsons had the chance to ice it at the line for Florida with 3.3 seconds remaining. He, too, missed the foul shot.

Mike Holmes rebounded the miss, and threw a long pass to the streaking Fredrick who laid the ball in as time expired.

The loss ended the 10-game win streak of Florida (16-3, 3-1).

Calathes led Florida with 20 points. However, only two of those came in the final 11 minutes as the Gators watched their lead shrink.

Downey finished with 20 points and Fredrick 15 for South Carolina, which defeated the Gators for the first time since the 2006 regular season.

Florida got back in the national rankings this week -- the SEC's only representative in the top 25 -- due in part to its long win streak.

And it looked as if the Gators did just enough down the stretch to hold off South Carolina and first-year coach Darrin Horn.

Evaldus Baniulis' fourth and final 3 got the Gamecocks within 62-60. But then Chandler Parsons answered with a 3 of his own and Walter Hodge extended the margin with an inside basket.

Calathes looked like he had saved the day with his reverse from beneath the basket with 35.4 seconds to go to make it 69-64.

Then Downey, the SEC's second-leading scorer at 19.6 points a game, shook off a poor shooting night with a floating 3 to set up the crazy final moments.

Fredrick's momentum after the winning bucket carried him into the crowd and his teammates followed.

Baniulis had 12 points, all on 3-pointers.

Parsons had 14 points and nine rebounds for the Gators, who'll head to Vanderbilt on Sunday.

Florida turned the ball over four times in the first five minutes -- most from lazy passes headed right to opposing hands -- as South Carolina opened a 5-point lead.

That was still the Gamecocks' edge after Sam Muldrow's foul shot made it 27-22 with 5:24 remaining.

The Gators ended with 18 turnovers, nearly double the Gamecocks' 10. South Carolina caused many of them, finishing with 11 steals, three each by Downey and Holmes.

--------------------------------

The student section absolutely ERUPTED. Me and my friends were just tackled by everyone around us and we knocked all of the seats over. Everyone tried to rush the court but they roped it off. It was just a great win as usually we are on the side that Florida was on tonight, losing heartbreakers. I don't know how we pulled that off, luck, but hey it's a W!

Horn and the players came over to the student section and all sang "We Hail Thee Carolina", it was my first experience like that at a basketball game for USC. Even though Florida wasn't the best they have been in the recent past, it was just awesome. Congrats on a good game Gators. :cheers:

steelyvan
01-21-2009, 10:18 PM
classic college bball game. congrats!

SECgamecock453
01-21-2009, 10:19 PM
I can finally get rid of that Auburn sig....

Djshockley3
01-21-2009, 10:21 PM
Congrats on the win.

scgamecock312
01-21-2009, 10:29 PM
How about them Gamecocks baby!! Better come to play against this team this year. We were down 7 with 158 to go.

PiggoBitttys
01-21-2009, 10:38 PM
Congrats on the solid W. Can't believe Gamecock fans were wanting to storm the court after a home W vs. an almost unranked team.

But, to each his own, I think SC will have a solid season, Horn has impressed me since he got there.

scgamecock312
01-21-2009, 10:42 PM
Congrats on the solid W. Can't believe Gamecock fans were wanting to storm the court after a home W vs. an almost unranked team.

But, to each his own, I think SC will have a solid season, Horn has impressed me since he got there.

Dude we finally have a good coach and haven't experienced anything like this in 3 to 4 years. You can tell a HUGE difference in Odom and Horn. I'm so excited about where this basketball program is headed.

GDawg88
01-21-2009, 10:44 PM
Great finish. That was a really heady play by Fredrick to start breaking towards the other basket on the missed free throw, and Holmes got rid of it immediately and hit him in stride. Beautifully executed play.

SkyAntoine
01-21-2009, 10:45 PM
Great win! I love seeing Billy D drop a game.:D

SECgamecock453
01-21-2009, 10:45 PM
It was more so the way we won, if we would have coasted or had a decent lead (maybe 7-12 point lead) most of the game, I don't think people would have stormed. But we looked down and out and came back and won, and they were ranked. But yeah I got to thinking it was pretty lame that we started to rush the court, oh well.

scgamecock312
01-21-2009, 10:48 PM
This team is going to do big things....these guys are playing hard for Horn and the difference between Horn and Odom is they don't quit. Bring on the Rebels.

fodive
01-21-2009, 11:13 PM

After seeing the finish, I would struggle to find anyone who wouldn't want to rush with all that energy going through the place.

Gatorbabe
01-22-2009, 09:28 AM
What a ****ty game. Congrats to South Carolina though. I think most everyone thought Florida would pull it out in the end but they choked. I actually was in shock because I thought we were shooting 2 FT's. I never realized it was a one and one. Blowing a 7 pt lead with a minute and a half shows exactly is wrong with this team. Hopefully they don't self destruct from this point on.

As for the Gamecocks, we'll see you *****es in Gainesville. :p

Dollar Theater
01-22-2009, 09:34 AM
Horn should coach the football team too. This guy has his players playing hard every night. And when they do, things like this can happen. You beat teams you're probably not supposed to beat. Congrats to Horn and the hoops team. Huge win.

Gatorbabe
01-22-2009, 09:39 AM
It's funny you guys are saying this is such a huge win and the crowd almost rushed the court. Down here everyone is complaining about how this team sucks so bad. I won't count them out but a lot of Florida fans and media people down here don't think they'll make the tournament.

Dollar Theater
01-22-2009, 09:45 AM
South Carolina got demolished by LSU and lost to Tennessee and a loss here puts them at 1-3 in the SEC with the hopes of a NCAA tourney berth starting to slip away. This win, plus the fact it was against the SEC's lone top 25 team, moves them to 13-4 overall and 2-2 in the SEC. It also gives them confidence they can win close games against good competition. It was a huge win.

JRS
01-22-2009, 09:47 AM
It's funny you guys are saying this is such a huge win and the crowd almost rushed the court. Down here everyone is complaining about how this team sucks so bad. I won't count them out but a lot of Florida fans and media people down here don't think they'll make the tournament.

Don't get all pissy because we are enjoying a victory. :raz:

Gatorbabe
01-22-2009, 09:51 AM
I'm not .... I just think some of the people down here are dumb. Florida did not play well but I don't think its the end of the world for them. Sorry for raining on your parade. :p

Dollar Theater
01-22-2009, 09:52 AM
The ending was reminiscent of this game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4vs7DEsW2g

Which is probably still the best Carolina basketball game I've ever seen with my own two eyes. That game (the atmosphere, the ranking, the overall excitement) is what this program CAN be. I think Horn is going to get us there.

Gatorbabe
01-22-2009, 09:53 AM
South Carolina got demolished by LSU and lost to Tennessee and a loss here puts them at 1-3 in the SEC with the hopes of a NCAA tourney berth starting to slip away. This win, plus the fact it was against the SEC's lone top 25 team, moves them to 13-4 overall and 2-2 in the SEC. It also gives them confidence they can win close games against good competition. It was a huge win.

I didn't even realize Florida was ranked. When the hell did that happen?

Dollar Theater
01-22-2009, 09:53 AM
I didn't even realize Florida was ranked. When the hell did that happen?
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/rankings?poll=1

This week.

OffThePorch
01-22-2009, 03:52 PM
Congrats USC. good win.

msudawg4life
01-22-2009, 03:53 PM
congrats to USC on the win

georgiaguy31015
01-22-2009, 08:26 PM
I was stunned to see that. Congrats SC.

ConwayGamecock