Does the SEC Need Kentucky to be the villan again? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Does the SEC Need Kentucky to be the villan again?

kentubbybasketball
01-21-2009, 04:55 PM
Read this article. I find it pretty interesting. What's your take on what the writer is suggesting.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/109637-the-sec-needs-its-villain-back-kentucky-and-conference-success-go-hand-in-hand

UA37
01-21-2009, 05:01 PM
I never stopped hating Kentucky basketball.

We don't need Kentucky to be successful for the conference to be successful.

Rocky@theTop
01-21-2009, 05:02 PM
IMO the SEC is very underrated. I don't think we're as back as the media would like you to think.

kentubbybasketball
01-21-2009, 05:08 PM

You obviously don't hate us enough to want our seconds (Tubby Smith)?

Other than success and annoying fans what reason is there really to hate UK, UA37. That's always boggled my mind. I certainly don't hate Bama for being a fantastically great football program (the best in the land IMO). FWIW, you got our seconds there, too though? You're welcome. LOL

kentubbybasketball
01-21-2009, 05:10 PM
Sky this is a thread just for you... I see you're in this thread... I can't wait to get your take. LOL

UA37
01-21-2009, 05:10 PM

I'd get a huge kick out of beating Kentucky with Tubby Smith. That would be awesome. I hated the way a lot of the UK fans treated Tubby.

UA37
01-21-2009, 05:13 PM

Other than success and annoying fans what reason is there really to hate UK, UA37. That's always boggled my mind. I certainly don't hate Bama for being a fantastically great football program (the best in the land IMO). FWIW, you got our seconds there, too though? You're welcome. LOL

Bryant went to school at Bama. He was a Bama man first.

It's the annoying fans and jealousy. You might not hate Bama football, but most other non bama sec fans do. I like Kentucky football just fine. I'm a big meeks fan too. I just wanna see UK regret putting all that pressure on Tubby.

kentubbybasketball
01-21-2009, 05:14 PM
Well, you can't fault me with that, UA37. I had Tubby's back and I still do. His UK record doesn't even need me to back it.

kentubbybasketball
01-21-2009, 05:16 PM
Bryant went to school at Bama. He was a Bama man first.

It's the annoying fans and jealousy. You might not hate Bama football, but most other non bama sec fans do. I like Kentucky football just fine. I'm a big meeks fan too. I just wanna see UK regret putting all that pressure on Tubby.

UA37, let's not act like you're all innocent, you criticized Tubby at times while he was here, too.

Some UK fans aren't going to regret, simply put unless Gillispie is a complete flop (which I hope doesn't happen and which I'm 100% confident won't happen). Right now, the Tubby issue at UK is still fresh and hot, but in time Tubby will be well-loved here... well-loved. Time will heal some wounds, and Tubby has said before he'd like to retire back to his old Kentucky home, so while it seems like things are bad, they werent' as bad as you think.

The vast majority of the people here really loved Tubby, appreciated him, or at least respected him. Tubby earned that. Unlike Pitino, he hasn't taken the opportunities to talk about UK fans, and Pitino himself was adored here.

As for Bryant, whether he played there or not... he coached here before he coached there. Had we kept him, maybe we'd have 14 national titles. That's why I said that. LOL (just messing around).

UA37
01-21-2009, 05:21 PM
I've always been a Tubby fan. I may have criticized him, but it's different when you are an oppossing fan. I stayed on the CMG wagon longer than 99.9% of other Bama fans.

georgiaguy31015
01-21-2009, 05:22 PM

I second that last part completely. The SEC doesn't need Kentucky to be good for the SEC to be good.

kentubbybasketball
01-21-2009, 05:24 PM
gguy, I want to see you post, "I hate Kentucky." LOL

UA37, I'm sure you'd be very happy with Tubby. For your sake I hope you're happy with your coach next year, whether it's CMG or someone else.

SkyAntoine
01-21-2009, 05:25 PM
Good read. A dominate Kentucky can do nothing but bring up the SEC as a whole. Plus, it keeps UK fans rep happy on this board.

kentubbybasketball
01-21-2009, 05:27 PM
Sky, do you think an SEC championship this year would return UK to the "dominance" level or would it be just a sign that we are getting closer to it... or do you think we'll never be dominant again?

SkyAntoine
01-21-2009, 05:27 PM
Sky this is a thread just for you... I see you're in this thread... I can't wait to get your take. LOL

I think there is a thin line between hate, jealousy and respect when it comes to basketball. I have no problem with Kentucky being the "villain" of the SEC as long as it is because we are the team on top everyone is shooting to beat. However, I do not want to be the team everyone hated in 1966 because we were 5 white guys playing Texas Western. There is a difference.

I can't help but think UK basketball is the SEC. 43 regular season titles and 25 tourney titles. It's hard to argue with those numbers.

I agree with the author that UK being up will bring out the best in other SEC teams. No different than us fighting to stay better than Florida, Tennessee, Vandy, etc. It makes the conference better.

DawgNBama
01-21-2009, 05:41 PM
There is some truth and some media bias to the article. First, I don't care what vast majority of northerners say, it still gets pretty darned cold up north, and few wish to play football in that weather (and rightfully so. how many of you guys want to play on field where 38 degrees is considered a heatwave???). This is why basketball is a more popular sport than football up north (Some exceptions are Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Penn State, Nebraska, and Iowa). The second reason basketball is more popular up north is that there is a more level playing field in basketball than there is football. Case in point: how many people here think that Harvard could beat or keep the game close against Alabama in football? How many people think that a Harvard-Alabama game in basketball would be close? As to why the ACC is so good in basketball, I really don't know the answer to that. Duke and Wake used to find it very hard to compete in football, so they concentrated their energy and $$ into really competing in basketball and being powerhouses. I consider Maryland to be a northern team, so that explains why basketball is more important to them. It's hard for me to comprehend why basketball is so important at UNC and NC State when the North Carolina climate is more conducive to football than other states.

kentubbybasketball
01-21-2009, 05:46 PM
I think the thing with UNC goes back to Dean Smith and how he built a titanic program there. Maybe the weather would indicate football should be more popular, but with Dean there, basketball just got out of reach for football there... and that's how it will always be. Plus, the players that have been thru that program, just make it a basketball school.

Vandy420
01-22-2009, 08:41 AM
UK is still the "villain". Everyone hates them b/c they way their fans are and the way they have always bent the rules and been given a free pass. UK does not need to be good for the SEC to succeed.

I prefer them at the bottom of the SEC, but its not b/c of their past success. It is simply the fans that UK has. They are the worst fanbase I have ever seen (Other than Miami) They live off their past and think that gives them the right to automatically be considerred the best, when it entitles them to nothing. THey live in the past.

UK has passed UT as the most hated fanbase in the SEC, at least to me.

SkyAntoine
01-22-2009, 08:49 AM
UK is still the "villain". Everyone hates them b/c they way their fans are and the way they have always bent the rules and been given a free pass. UK does not need to be good for the SEC to succeed.

I prefer them at the bottom of the SEC, but its not b/c of their past success. It is simply the fans that UK has. They are the worst fanbase I have ever seen (Other than Miami) They live off their past and think that gives them the right to automatically be considerred the best, when it entitles them to nothing. THey live in the past.

UK has passed UT as the most hated fanbase in the SEC, at least to me.
:wave: We're 3-0 in the SEC right now. It's not always about the past.:)

Vandy420
01-22-2009, 11:37 AM
Pot meet kettle. UK fans are very quick to bring up the past as reason why they are "the best". Just look at any thread containing UK posters across the internet. It isn't AS bad here, b/c the UK posters are mostly level headed, but they all have their UK crazy moments.

Now go to catspause or other UK sites and it is just plain hilarious how UK fans think they are entitled to things b/c of their past.

SkyAntoine
01-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Pot meet kettle. UK fans are very quick to bring up the past as reason why they are "the best". Just look at any thread containing UK posters across the internet. It isn't AS bad here, b/c the UK posters are mostly level headed, but they all have their UK crazy moments.

Now go to catspause or other UK sites and it is just plain hilarious how UK fans think they are entitled to things b/c of their past.
It would be boring without us and you know it. ;)

Cats' Pause is too funny. Posters that call for BCG's head after losing to VMI will turn around and praise the thumping of Vandy. It's really a funny thing.

weegeman
01-22-2009, 02:53 PM
:wave: We're 3-0 in the SEC right now. It's not always about the past.:)

Hello! Hello McFly... We're FOUR and 0, not 3-0 in SEC play... unless you're not counting the Vandy win just to spite 420 and add to his UK fanbase rhetoric.

SkyAntoine
01-22-2009, 02:58 PM
Hello! Hello McFly... We're FOUR and 0, not 3-0 in SEC play... unless you're not counting the Vandy win just to spite 420 and add to his UK fanbase rhetoric.

I do not recognize wins (or losses) versus Vandy. It's like calling myself the arm wrestling champion of my household when my only competition is my wife and two little girls.

kentubbybasketball
01-22-2009, 03:02 PM
Priceless.