Alabama AD Mal Moore in Tennessee looking for a coach??? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Alabama AD Mal Moore in Tennessee looking for a coach???

Rocky@theTop
01-21-2009, 04:04 PM
Don't know if the rumor has any legs, but supposedly Mal Moore has been in Memphis talking to John Calipari.

UA37
01-21-2009, 04:05 PM
Good. We need to take the Nick Saban approach. It worked well for football.

RollTide86
01-21-2009, 04:36 PM
Id love to get a guy like calipari, but he's turned down other jobs to stay at memphis,most recently NC State

kentubbybasketball
01-21-2009, 04:39 PM
Well, Cal was about to take the NC State job though. He was oh so close to it, but then Memphis showed their commitment. I doubt that if he turns down NC State that he would accept Bama.

Speaking of Mal Moore, what happened with the rumors of him retiring himself?

You can't fault Bama reportedly being ambitious... afterall, Tubby and Cal would probably make man top 10 lists of coaches in the nation. Bama has the tools to be a great program (and not Sanderson/Gottfried great), but even taking it to another level. No reason this program shouldn't have a couple of final fours by now. The right coach would get that done. I say you should go with someone younger than Tubby maybe... somebody like Anthony Grant. The Brian Gregory stuff is interesting though. There's a guy that hasn't taken Dayton to an NCAAT yet, and we know Dayton is capable of such, because Oliver Purnell did it there.

Bubba
01-21-2009, 05:21 PM
Cal isnt SEC material. He loves Memphis. Doubt hed wanna come in and be the doormat.

kentubbybasketball
01-21-2009, 05:23 PM
He wouldn't be a doormat here IMO. Calipari is great. Leading two non BCS level programs to final fours... something nobody in the SECW has even done at a BCS level school yet. I think Cal is a Big East guy though, and there's rumors about Memphis joining, so who knows?

I think Bama will swing for the fences and miss out on an established guy... just like NC State did. At the end of the day, even UK swung for the fences on Billy D and was rejected.

georgiaguy31015
01-21-2009, 05:23 PM
That would certainly be an interesting hire to say the least.

UA37
01-21-2009, 05:24 PM
We need to make the big fish say no. We need to go after them with everything we have. If they say no, then we go to Anthony Grant. If he says no, then we bring Mike Anderson home. And Anderson isnt a bad option at all.

kentubbybasketball
01-21-2009, 05:25 PM
I agree, you do need to be ambitious with coaching hires... heck, if Minnesota wasn't, they wouldn't have gotten the legend they currently have. I do think you should be ambitious... but I also think you need to be practical, and I think Pitino is extremely impractical.

Dawg
01-21-2009, 06:54 PM
Please no. Please....

Hogger
01-21-2009, 08:56 PM
I believe we made a run at him when we fired Heath. No offense to Bama, but I don't think he'd turn us down then accept an offer from Bama.

Of course, he probably knew he had a Final 4 team when we went after him.

ConwayGamecock
01-21-2009, 10:08 PM
I don't think Calipari would go to a football school......he's the BMFMOC at Memphis, and as long as he brings highly ranked teams, he'll be able to write his own ticket. He'd lose that prestige instantly the minute he goes to Bama.

UA37
01-21-2009, 10:24 PM
I believe we made a run at him when we fired Heath. No offense to Bama, but I don't think he'd turn us down then accept an offer from Bama.

Of course, he probably knew he had a Final 4 team when we went after him.

Well he can come to Bama and do something that's never been done before. It's a different place, he might like it more. I'm not sure if we have a real shot at any of these big name coaches, but i sure as hell hope we go after them.