Steele Officially Done At Alabama [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Steele Officially Done At Alabama

batmanthelegend
01-19-2009, 11:20 AM
I heard the rumor last week and then he didn't play against Auburn...has he finally given up the comeback?

Sad story, guess his knees are just to bad.

UA37
01-19-2009, 11:24 AM
Not quite...

*****Injured Alabama point guard Ronald Steele has an appointment today to see noted orthopedist Dr. James Andrews for an assessment, his father Ronald Sr. said.

The younger Steele, a senior from Birmingham who is averaging 12.9 points and 3.7 assists, has missed the Crimson Tide's past two games -- both losses -- because of heel pain from Plantar Fasciitis. Coach Mark Gottfried said he is out "indefinitely."

Ronald Sr. said "of course" his son is hopeful to return to the team this season.

"He's healing, and it looks like a slow process," Ronald Steele Sr. said. "But he's coming along. He's handling it pretty good."

Steele said the family "can't figure out" how the ailment arose, but that the player is "working hard to get healed."

"It's just a matter of time," the father said. "We can't pinpoint how long it could be. It could be long, it could be short. But he's working hard to get back."

Ian R. Rapoport

http://blog.al.com/rapsheet/2009/01/ronald_steeles_father_on_his_s.html

He may be done at Alabama, but he looks like he's trying to get back. I hope he can get back to 100% so he can continue following his dream.

MKAU
01-19-2009, 11:48 AM
Not quite...

http://blog.al.com/rapsheet/2009/01/ronald_steeles_father_on_his_s.html

He may be done at Alabama, but he looks like he's trying to get back. I hope he can get back to 100% so he can continue following his dream.
He dreams of playing pro ball in The Netherlands?

UA37
01-19-2009, 11:50 AM
He dreams of playing pro ball in The Netherlands?

Greece or Turkey maybe. They get paid lots of $$$ over there. He's not likely to make the NBA anymore, but i'm sure he's always dreamed of playing for pay.

MKAU
01-19-2009, 11:53 AM
Greece or Turkey maybe. They get paid lots of $$$ over there. He's not likely to make the NBA anymore, but i'm sure he's always dreamed of playing for pay.Truthfully I like Steele, and hate he can't play in the NBA. He'd be a very solid role player.

Rocky@theTop
01-19-2009, 11:54 AM
I hope he eventually makes a 100% recovery from the nagging injuries.

batmanthelegend
01-19-2009, 12:06 PM
That sucks...have his knees held up well so far this year? Are those two finally healthy?

UA37
01-19-2009, 12:09 PM
That sucks...have his knees held up well so far this year? Are those two finally healthy?

I guess... I havent read anything that had him complaining about his knees.

steelyvan
01-20-2009, 09:09 PM
what i knew last week was made official today. Ron is done for the season. hoped for his full recovery but its not happening in a Bama uniform.

MSUado
01-20-2009, 09:10 PM
what i knew last week was made official today. Ron is done for the season. hoped for his full recovery but its not happening in a Bama uniform.

wow. That sucks for him. I wish him well that he can make a full recovery and still have success somewhere. Some people just can't get any luck.

OffThePorch
01-20-2009, 09:12 PM
thats too bad.

UA37
01-21-2009, 07:07 AM
Damnit man!! Tyrone Protho of basketball. This sucks bad. It couldnt have happenned to a better person. For Bama basketball, this looks like our third straight suck ass season. Hopefully Brock is healthy and he can help. There's absolutely no point in redshirting him now, unless he's really injured that bad.

steelyvan
01-21-2009, 07:46 AM
Brock does not want to come out of his redshirt. I don't blame him. It is causing additional stress to the program, something Bama doesn't need more of.

UA37
01-21-2009, 07:55 AM
Brock does not want to come out of his redshirt. I don't blame him. It is causing additional stress to the program, something Bama doesn't need more of.

Wow, that makes sense on his part a little bit at least. I'd want to save my eligibility for time under a coach that isnt a lame duck too. We desparately need him tho. He's getting free eductaion(value of what? 25+k) so he needs to earn it. We have half a season left, that's plenty of quality playing time.

steelyvan
01-21-2009, 09:00 AM
Torrance was brought in as a pg and Hollinger was as well. Gottfried never coached any confidence into B-Holl as a pg his entire Bama career. Torrance comes off the bench for 20pts/g since Ron's been out. He has 2 pg's and could get by the rest of the season without pulling a committment to Brock.

UA37
01-21-2009, 09:12 AM
Torrance was brought in as a pg and Hollinger was as well. Gottfried never coached any confidence into B-Holl as a pg his entire Bama career. Torrance comes off the bench for 20pts/g since Ron's been out. He has 2 pg's and could get by the rest of the season without pulling a committment to Brock.

The past is irrelevant at this point in time. Brock can help us out now. He's getting paid to do so, so imo he should. I like Torrance on the court too, but as big of a BHol fan as i am the man is shooting 17% from 3 point land. That alone should lose him PT. With half of the season left, we arent eliminated from anything yet, we should put out the best team we have regardless of redshirts.

kentubbybasketball
01-21-2009, 11:47 AM
I couldn't believe it when I heard it on TV. Maybe he should have left that year that his classmates (Rondo and Farmar) left for the NBA.

leland5
01-21-2009, 12:42 PM
Steele will be fine.

BamaHoHo
01-21-2009, 12:58 PM
Where have you seen that Brook is bring redshirted. He has played in 5 games. Did he get hurt & are they thinking of applying for a medical redshirt. I havent heard anything about him & Ive been at most of the home games this year.

UA37
01-21-2009, 01:04 PM
Where have you seen that Brook is bring redshirted. He has played in 5 games. Did he get hurt & are they thinking of applying for a medical redshirt. I havent heard anything about him & Ive been at most of the home games this year.

I think that's the smart assumption.

Dawg
01-21-2009, 01:15 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-alabama-steele&prov=ap&type=lgns

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP)—Alabama guard Ronald Steele has decided to skip the rest of his senior season after sustaining a foot injury, ending his once-promising college career.

Steele had returned after missing last season while recovering from operations on both knees to repair cartilage defects, including a follow-up procedure on his left knee.

He had been sidelined the past two games this season with a heel injury, both Crimson Tide losses, leading up to Wednesday night’s game against Mississippi.

“This is a very difficult time for Ron,” coach Mark Gottfried said Tuesday night. “I’ll always be indebted to his contributions to our program and the University of Alabama and wish him the very best in his future endeavors.”

Such a tough career. Sorry Bama fans.

XPS
01-21-2009, 01:17 PM
My heart goes out to the kid...

UA37
01-21-2009, 01:20 PM
This is Protho all over again. You gotta feel for the man.

UA37
01-21-2009, 01:31 PM
check it, he's leaving due to problems with the coach not the injury...

By Cecil Hurt Sports Editor
Published: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 at 12:18 p.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 at 12:18 p.m.
Former University of Alabama point guard Ronald Steele said Wednesday that his decision to leave the Crimson Tide basketball team was based on factors other than the plantar fasciitis injury that sidelined him for the past two games.

UA announced Steele's departure in a release on Tuesday night.

Steele issued his own statement on Wednesday, saying his physical condition was "definitely not the reason I am leaving the team."

The statement, which Steele read in a telephone interview, said:

"First, I want to thank God for blessing me with the opportunity to play at the University of Alabama and play with all my teammates who I still love very much. The fan support has been great. In fact, all the support I have received has been great. I am thankful for the friendships I have made.

"As it stands now, with my physical condition, I have Plantar Fasciitis, which is a small but painful condition many players have. It is definitely not the reason I am leaving the team. After many hours of praying and consulting with my family, teammates and close friends, I have decided it is in my best interests to move on.

"I love the University of Alabama. This is not a reflection on the University as a whole. I wish them the best of luck in the future and I will continue to support my teammates wholeheartedly. I hope my brother (Andrew) will feel the same love for the University that I have developed.

"I want to thank all the people who have supported me, particularly the media that gave me and my family so much positive recognition."

After reading the statement, Steele clarified by saying that "it wasn't an isolated event" that led to his decision.

"I just felt that there were decisions that I didn't feel were in my best interests. I'll leave it at that."

Steele said he "could have" been physically able to return from his foot injury and said he plans to continue playing basketball in the future for "as long as I can."

Asked directly about any conflict with UA head coach Mark Gottfried, Steele said only "this was the best decision for me and I want to leave it at that."

http://www.tidesports.com/article/20090121/NEWS/901210297/1011?Title=Steele_says_injury__definitely_not_reas on__for_departure

UA37
01-21-2009, 01:31 PM
Jesus Bama basketball is a horrendous mess right now. We need you Tubby!

Dawg
01-21-2009, 01:40 PM
Wow. If Gottfried's casket hadn't been set yet, it's done now. Gottfried is gone. They won't let him run off the best player at UA for a very long time and stay in the program.

steelyvan
01-21-2009, 01:41 PM
medical

UA37
01-21-2009, 01:43 PM
Wow. If Gottfried's casket hadn't been set yet, it's done now. Gottfried is gone. They won't let him run off the best player at UA for a very long time and stay in the program.

He shouldnt be allowed to coach tonight. This is ridiculous.

Dawg
01-21-2009, 01:46 PM
He shouldnt be allowed to coach tonight. This is ridiculous.

Not sure if I agree with that, but you're right - it is ridiculous. So now the question must be begged....does Andrew transfer at the end of the season?

UA37
01-21-2009, 01:48 PM
Not sure if I agree with that, but you're right - it is ridiculous. So now the question must be begged....does Andrew transfer at the end of the season?

I seriously doubt it. We'll get an exciting hire. We'll have a roster full of players. I think the team will stick around. Ron had problems with CMG before Andrew commited.

GatorMan32
01-21-2009, 01:49 PM
The Tide is Rolling out of control now. Gott needs to go. This is a shame because Steele was so much fun to watch. Hope he catches on in the NBA and is successful.

steelyvan
01-21-2009, 01:53 PM
when i posted last week referencing "unusual news" from the Bama bball program, this is what i thought would have come out sooner than it did.
based on Ron, i never quite understood why his brother chose to play at Bama, other than the apparently strong state school allegiance. he has been given quite a bit of pt.

kentubbybasketball
01-21-2009, 02:11 PM
Jesus Bama basketball is a horrendous mess right now. We need you Tubby!

Do you think this is an official "beginning of the end" for CMG? Ultimately, it's easy to jump to conclusions, and when things are going bad people are quick to blame the coach. I just wouldn't go so far as to lay this all at CMG, because if it was really that bad, it would seem like his brother would be following him out (and maybe he is). I will say things were bad last year when Pickett was arguing with CMG during practices in front of the other players.

It's just odd to me because for so long, it seemed like CMG had a really good rapport with a lot of his players... he's one of the most encouraging coaches in the league when it comes to games.

BamaHoHo
01-21-2009, 02:17 PM
I think that's the smart assumption.

Again, this is the only place Ive heard this.

steelyvan
01-21-2009, 02:22 PM
redshirts are applied for at the end of the season. Bama has kept this with a low profile but Brock has not played for some time now.

UA37
01-21-2009, 02:25 PM
Do you think this is an official "beginning of the end" for CMG? Ultimately, it's easy to jump to conclusions, and when things are going bad people are quick to blame the coach. I just wouldn't go so far as to lay this all at CMG, because if it was really that bad, it would seem like his brother would be following him out (and maybe he is). I will say things were bad last year when Pickett was arguing with CMG during practices in front of the other players.

It's just odd to me because for so long, it seemed like CMG had a really good rapport with a lot of his players... he's one of the most encouraging coaches in the league when it comes to games.

No this is the END of the END. The beginning started the first year we missed the tournament. This year will be the third year in a row that we've missed the tournament. Add on to that that we've lost 4 of 5 to Auburn and now CMG has made an all-sec player just quit. Imo, the decision has already been made. It's just a matter of when. No better time like the present if you ask me.

kentubbybasketball
01-21-2009, 03:38 PM
UA37, Bama would be unjustified pulling a "John Brady" in the middle of the season. This is not the NBA.

BamaHoHo
01-21-2009, 03:41 PM
UA37, Bama would be unjustified pulling a "John Brady" in the middle of the season. This is not the NBA.

As much as I am ready to see CMG go, I agree with you.

kentubbybasketball
01-21-2009, 03:43 PM
HoHo, do you think this is CMG's last season? Because I still kind of get the feeling he may get one more year... what's his buyout info? Because Saban's not cheap (4 mil), plus Tubby/Cal would be another $2 mil. Not to mention buying out a coach that's making $1 million already.

UA37
01-21-2009, 04:04 PM

LSU got a little boost from firing Brady. Perhaps the same would be true for Bama. I just wanna see us win some games. Firing CMG now make to some weight off the players shoulders and make them play better. I wanna see Pettway be the interim head coach. That wouldnt make a ton of sense, but hell i'd like to see it.

UA37
01-21-2009, 04:06 PM
HoHo, do you think this is CMG's last season? Because I still kind of get the feeling he may get one more year... what's his buyout info? Because Saban's not cheap (4 mil), plus Tubby/Cal would be another $2 mil. Not to mention buying out a coach that's making $1 million already.

Saban has done a lot for Bama from an economical stand point. Tubby or Cal or Pitino could do the same thing. I hope they take the same approach.

kentubbybasketball
01-21-2009, 04:07 PM
I'm not sure if things would go better if Bama did that. The difference IMO is that Butch Pierre had a lot of responsibilities on Brady's staff that a head coach would have if I remember correctly, so it was a smother transition. But, Pettway doesn't have near the experience that a Pierre had.

Plus, LSU was very unclassy in the way they handled that, whether Pierre finished the season 5-5 or not. Bama would be the same. Why throw the players off a routine by firing a coach. If you know you're going to fire a coach (which who knows if Moore anyway), why not just wait until March.

UA37
01-21-2009, 04:08 PM
I'm not sure if things would go better if Bama did that. The difference IMO is that Butch Pierre had a lot of responsibilities on Brady's staff that a head coach would have if I remember correctly, so it was a smother transition. But, Pettway doesn't have near the experience that a Pierre had.

Plus, LSU was very unclassy in the way they handled that, whether Pierre finished the season 5-5 or not. Bama would be the same. Why throw the players off a routine by firing a coach. If you know you're going to fire a coach (which who knows if Moore anyway), why not just wait until March.

because the players don't have faith in the coach anymore

kentubbybasketball
01-21-2009, 04:11 PM
Saban has done a lot for Bama from an economical stand point. Tubby or Cal or Pitino could do the same thing. I hope they take the same approach.

Now, if you think for one minute that Pitino is leaving UofL for Bama, you've lost your mind. Straight lost your mind. That doesn't even fit Pitino. There were rumors he didn't love it when Petrino was having football success up there... how'd he react if Saban is the de facto king?

kentubbybasketball
01-21-2009, 04:12 PM
because the players don't have faith in the coach anymore

OK, but how does that justify embarrassing a coach in the middle of the season? Firing him after the season? That happens all the time, but to take a coach's team away from him in the middle of SEC season is STUPID (sorry LSU).

UGA's not even seemingly thinking about that with Felton, and that's much more futility there.

UA37
01-21-2009, 04:14 PM
Now, if you think for one minute that Pitino is leaving UofL for Bama, you've lost your mind. Straight lost your mind. That doesn't even fit Pitino. There were rumors he didn't love it when Petrino was having football success up there... how'd he react if Saban is the de facto king?

Maybe he will maybe he wont. I'd make him say no. It can't hurt to try.

BamaHoHo
01-21-2009, 04:16 PM

No. I think this is it. I been waiting for this for 2 1/2 years. Saban's deal is more than paid for by the revenues from football. I think Mall Moore has learned (at least I hope he has) that coming off the pocket book for the right coach pays off.

UA37
01-21-2009, 04:17 PM
OK, but how does that justify embarrassing a coach in the middle of the season? Firing him after the season? That happens all the time, but to take a coach's team away from him in the middle of SEC season is STUPID (sorry LSU).

UGA's not even seemingly thinking about that with Felton, and that's much more futility there.

UGA's season is shot. Bama still has hope. I'm all for anything that will help out this season. I promise you attendance will go up the next game we play after we fire CMG. This was CMG's "show me" season. We lost our first game of the year at home to Mercer and we were EMBARASSED in Maui. If we get rid of CMG, we'll get rid of a lot of negative energy too.

kentubbybasketball
01-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Maybe he will maybe he wont. I'd make him say no. It can't hurt to try.

Give me one reason why Pitino would be enticed to go to Bama? I want just one reason? He's already a top 10 program.

Let's realize Pitino has coached for the New York Knicks, Kentucky Wildcats, Boston Celtics, and Louisville Cardinals in his last 4 stops. That's two of the 3 most historic NBA franchises likely and two of the seven most tradition-rich college hoops programs. Why would he go to Bama?

georgiaguy31015
01-21-2009, 04:20 PM
Sorry to hear this and I wish him luck in the future.

kentubbybasketball
01-21-2009, 04:21 PM
UGA's season is shot. Bama still has hope. I'm all for anything that will help out this season. I promise you attendance will go up the next game we play after we fire CMG. This was CMG's "show me" season. We lost our first game of the year at home to Mercer and we were EMBARASSED in Maui. If we get rid of CMG, we'll get rid of a lot of negative energy too.

Bama runs the risk of "shooting" their season though if they make an unnecessary change right now. The chances of Bama playing in the NCAAT after a coaching change this season are very low... very low.

UA37
01-21-2009, 04:27 PM
Bama runs the risk of "shooting" their season though if they make an unnecessary change right now. The chances of Bama playing in the NCAAT after a coaching change this season are very low... very low.

If we keep CMG we run the risk of being continually outcoached by other SEC coaches.

UA37
01-21-2009, 04:30 PM
Give me one reason why Pitino would be enticed to go to Bama? I want just one reason? He's already a top 10 program.

Let's realize Pitino has coached for the New York Knicks, Kentucky Wildcats, Boston Celtics, and Louisville Cardinals in his last 4 stops. That's two of the 3 most historic NBA franchises likely and two of the seven most tradition-rich college hoops programs. Why would he go to Bama?

To get out of Kentucky? Hell i dont know. Maybe he thinks he can make a bigger national splash at Bama than Louisville. He could own the SEC West. I think the chances of getting Pitino are super slim, but he fits the "Saban" criteria so we should gauge his interest.

kentubbybasketball
01-21-2009, 04:30 PM
But, that's (getting outcoached) gonna happen if you make a change too, UA37. What's a new coach gonna do differently anyway, other than provide a different voice. Most of those guys on the staff, especially Pearson (who would be the logical interim under your scenario) is Gottfried-lite.

kentubbybasketball
01-21-2009, 04:32 PM
To get out of Kentucky? Hell i dont know. Maybe he thinks he can make a bigger national splash at Bama than Louisville. He could own the SEC West. I think the chances of getting Pitino are super slim, but he fits the "Saban" criteria so we should gauge his interest.

The only thing that Saban and Pitino have in common is that they are great coaches. Otherwise, let's be honest, you were lucky that Saban was humbled by the NFL and wanted out. Otherwise, you wouldn't have gotten him. Pitino isn't looking for a job, and especially a step down the ladder.

I feel like Pitino (just knowing him like I think I do) feels like he gets more attention and better challenges in the Big East.

UA37
01-21-2009, 04:32 PM
But, that's (getting outcoached) gonna happen if you make a change too, UA37. What's a new coach gonna do differently anyway, other than provide a different voice. Most of those guys on the staff, especially Pearson (who would be the logical interim under your scenario) is Gottfried-lite.

Maybe we'll change things so the other coaches won't see us coming miles away.

kentubbybasketball
01-21-2009, 04:35 PM
How are you gonna have time to change things drastically when you'd have a game in a few days?

FWIW, my comments on Tubby are really based on what I truly feel about his chances of leaving Minny for Bama... but I must admit there's a little bit of "I sure hope he doesn't go to Bama just because...

1) I don't want to have to play aganist him.
2) It would be too awkward for UK fans, more so than Pitino going to UofL IMO.
3) It would be a game that UK just couldn't lose, otherwise the backlash would be palpable... it's just not good for UK for Tubby to go to the SEC anywhere, especially a place like Bama, that has the tools to be among the top 15 teams in the country just about any year.

If Tubby came back to this league and coached a non-UK team, I'd be a little bitter at first... that's for sure.

onlyfrbama
01-21-2009, 07:26 PM
I wish Steele well I have loved every minute he was on the court during his tenure at Bama. I am hearing a rumor and it is growing longer and longer legs but tonights game is a do or die game for CMG. Don't beat a Rebel tonight he won't be attending the Kentucky Derby on Saturday.

steelyvan
01-21-2009, 08:04 PM
is Brock playing in this game tonight? goodbye redshirt

onlyfrbama
01-21-2009, 09:05 PM
Brock played but had already played in over 5 games this season. His medical redshirt was iffy at that. This left no choice to play him. Bama wins tonight so the cat gets or more life.

UA37
01-21-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm glad Brock got in the game. I hope Gottfried gives him more opportunities. I'm kinda shocked that they won. I have no idea what they looked like, but it looks like Torrance had his best game of his career so far. I hope he has a lot more like it.

PiggoBitttys
01-21-2009, 09:33 PM

UA, I admire your optimism, but the passion and drive that exists in Bama football does not exist in Bama basketball. The fan interest, desire to make Bama a top program just doesn't exist in basketball near as much IMO.

Not to say Bama can't become that, don't mean that at all, but it is a much farther leap to get a top coach with a great job to come to Bama basketball than it was to come to Bama football.

Arkansas already tried to entice Pitino away just a year and a half ago. He turned us down. So did Cal. So did Tom Crean according to some. And of course good ole Billy G. Not to say Bama can't get fortunate and get a better looking head coach, circumstances somehow make that happen. For instance, Petrino coming to Arkansas football was much a result of special circumstances. Maybe Bama b-ball can reproduce something like that, but I wouldn't bet on it. Anthony Grant would be a solid choice IMO.

UA37
01-21-2009, 09:46 PM
UA, I admire your optimism, but the passion and drive that exists in Bama football does not exist in Bama basketball. The fan interest, desire to make Bama a top program just doesn't exist in basketball near as much IMO.

Not to say Bama can't become that, don't mean that at all, but it is a much farther leap to get a top coach with a great job to come to Bama basketball than it was to come to Bama football.

Arkansas already tried to entice Pitino away just a year and a half ago. He turned us down. So did Cal. So did Tom Crean according to some. And of course good ole Billy G. Not to say Bama can't get fortunate and get a better looking head coach, circumstances somehow make that happen. For instance, Petrino coming to Arkansas football was much a result of special circumstances. Maybe Bama b-ball can reproduce something like that, but I wouldn't bet on it. Anthony Grant would be a solid choice IMO.

I'm encouraged because the boosters are talking about the Tubby Smiths. He's one of the highest paid coaches in the ncaa. If we're not scared of that price tag then i think that shows were serious about getting a good coach. I don't know why a coach wouldnt wanna come to Bama. You can win here. You can do things that havent been done.

PiggoBitttys
01-21-2009, 09:49 PM
I'm encouraged because the boosters are talking about the Tubby Smiths. He's one of the highest paid coaches in the ncaa. If we're not scared of that price tag then i think that shows were serious about getting a good coach. I don't know why a coach wouldnt wanna come to Bama. You can win here. You can do things that havent been done.

I am just scarred by what we went through. Believe me, we were offering big money. It takes more than that.

Many coaches would want to come to Bama. Coaches that already have teams in the top 15 or 20 may not.

UA37
01-21-2009, 09:57 PM
I am just scarred by what we went through. Believe me, we were offering big money. It takes more than that.

Many coaches would want to come to Bama. Coaches that already have teams in the top 15 or 20 may not.

Well i wouldnt be too disappointed if we missed out on a couple big names and then went after Grant or Anderson. I think either of those coaches could have success at Bama and i think the roster will be ready to win for the next coach.

PiggoBitttys
01-21-2009, 10:01 PM
I hope Anderson doesn't go there. He's my hope for the next Razorback coach should Pel and Ark part ways...he'd be a great hire IMO if you can get him.

How sure are you that Gottfried is dead man walking?

UA37
01-21-2009, 10:05 PM
I definitely think we can get Anderson here. He was a big favorite in birmingham. A lot of people appreciate him for what he did at UAB. Plus he's from Alabama. I think we'd have a good shot at him unless he's just in love with Missourri.

BamaHoHo
01-22-2009, 06:31 AM
I hope Anderson doesn't go there. He's my hope for the next Razorback coach should Pel and Ark part ways...he'd be a great hire IMO if you can get him.

How sure are you that Gottfried is dead man walking?

If we had lost last night , he might have been gone today.

rolling baby
01-22-2009, 08:22 AM
CMG is definitely gone. I visited my home state for the X-mas break, and the big talk was the bball program (almost as much as the whole Dre Smith debacle). Even in Nashville, the concensus is that CMG is gone (Lebo as well). CMG basically ruined Ron Steele, imo.

Anderson would be a great fit. Bama just needs to hire somebody that understands the fundamentals.

Smith is in the running for UGA and Bama so it'll get interesting.

CaribbeanTide
01-22-2009, 10:40 AM
How sure are you that Gottfried is dead man walking?As sure as we can be without being the big money boosters who have the influence to help make the call. It seems a done deal by anybody in the know. Attendance being significantly down could be a nice convenient, official reason regardless of how the rest of the season plays out.

What's kind of uncharacteristic though (and nice to see for a change) is how relatively polite the fans are being about it. There's not the widespread dog-piling on or bashing of Gottfried I thought there would be as everyone seems to realize it's pretty much a done deal now. So most folks realize there's no need to pour it on at this point. Most of the calls to radio shows, articles in the paper, etc all seem to be saying the same thing - he did some good (even great) things for the program in the past, but things have tapered off in recent years and it's time to move in a new direction. No doubt the resurgence of the football program and the recent/similar in-state situation with Tuberville has helped ease the tension a little.

BamaHoHo
01-22-2009, 11:45 AM
CMG is definitely gone. I visited my home state for the X-mas break, and the big talk was the bball program (almost as much as the whole Dre Smith debacle). Even in Nashville, the concensus is that CMG is gone (Lebo as well). CMG basically ruined Ron Steele, imo.

Anderson would be a great fit. Bama just needs to hire somebody that understands the fundamentals.

Smith is in the running for UGA and Bama so it'll get interesting.

That says a lot.

kentubbybasketball
01-22-2009, 11:48 AM

You certainly can't fault Bama for trying to land Tubby. The man knows how to coach, and Bama certainly wouldn't get Tubby if they didn't offer. If they do offer, maybe there's a chance (a low chance, but a chance nonetheless).