Auburn @ Kentucky Game Thread [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Auburn @ Kentucky Game Thread

kentubbybasketball
01-20-2009, 02:17 PM
This is the game that endeared Michael Porter to me last year. Against Auburn he injured himself during the game... he didn't tell coach until after we won the game (a close game, and we need MIke out there).

Hopefully, this game UK wins... I feel should take advantage of our depth and maybe just foul Auburn on offense... they are terrible foul shooters. Their, lineup with Reed and Robertson could give us trouble again, because that's two astute ball handlers.

I always like beating Auburn, because of Korvotney Barber BTW. I know Tubby encouraged him to take his Auburn visit, but he still rejected us.

MKAU
01-20-2009, 06:57 PM
Wow. I never thought I would live to see the day. A Kentucky fan jealous of Auburn basketball.

Barber is the one the brings the FT shooting down. He takes by far the most shots but is the worst shooter.

There is one thing I guarenfriggenty. Jodi Meeks will not score 50 on Auburn. Now that I've gone out on my limb, good luck. You won't need it.

kentubbybasketball
01-20-2009, 07:00 PM
I wouldn't quite call it "jealousy," but "bitterness" sure... LOL, jk. I really feel like our 2005 class (the class that Barber was in) was probably Tubby's worst class. We got turned down by Barber, Tasmin Mitchell, Tyler Hansbrough, Leo Lyons, Uche Echefu... all guys who are starting on BCS level programs. We ended up with Rekalin Sims out of that class.

I was thinking that Robertson wasn't a good free throw shooter too by the way. Correct me if I'm wrong.

MKAU
01-20-2009, 07:04 PM
Robertson is a 59% shooter but really only shoots about 3 a game. It doesn't matter as much with him. If you really want to foul somebody, I suggest Tay Waller.

kentubbybasketball
01-20-2009, 07:06 PM
Interesting. What's your take on Waller's production thus far. Last I checked, he gets a little over 12 ppg, and that's great for any JUCO in their transfer year, but this was a guy that was coming in with some press clipping as a prolific JUCO scorer. Has he been a respectable replacement to your guy Frank Tolbert?

MKAU
01-20-2009, 07:16 PM
Interesting. What's your take on Waller's production thus far. Last I checked, he gets a little over 12 ppg, and that's great for any JUCO in their transfer year, but this was a guy that was coming in with some press clipping as a prolific JUCO scorer. Has he been a respectable replacement to your guy Frank Tolbert?They are two completely different players. Frank is was a 6'3" guard who played like an extremely fast 6'8" PF. Or he could be classified is a midget swingman.
Tay is a 6'2" shooter who plays like a 6'2" shooter. He's at 36% on the year which is dissappointing. What he did against Alabama is what has been expected of him from the beginning. He busted 4 3s against Bama in the first 8 minutes and is capable of doing that any given night. He's very inconsistent though. He'll go 1-8 one night but 5-8 the next night to keep is percentage up.

I was being deviously sarcastic about sending him to the line. He hits those.

kentubbybasketball
01-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Yeah, I figured you were being silly, because I know more about your free throw troubles than you think. You're not pulling that fast one over on me.

I was aware of the differences in their play,but it seemed like Waller was brought in to replace a lot of Tolbert's points... maybe going about it differently, but replacing them nonetheless.

MKAU
01-20-2009, 07:28 PM
Tolbert averaged 13.4 last year so if you want to compare it that way I guess he's doing a good job. Both are capable of busting 25+ against anybody, but their reasons for inconsistency are completely different. Waller some nights just doesn't have the touch, and Tolbert was just too high strung.

The real scorer of the team is Frankie Sullivan, but until he can play defense Lebo won't leave him in long enough to find his rythem. I'm guessing it will take at least two consecutive games of 30+ minutes for that to happen, but when he does get that he'll turn into a machine. Think of a developed Sullivan as a more settled Tolbert with a better outside shot. I've seen him do some stuff driving into the paint to warrant that comparison.

SkyAntoine
01-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Why is this game on so late? When I saw it was an 8:00 game I originally thought it was on ESPN.

kentubbybasketball
01-21-2009, 11:38 AM
It's the second of two TV games.

kentubbybasketball
01-21-2009, 03:53 PM
Rasheem Barrett throwing down the gauntlet saying he's going to hold Jodie Meeks to two points (outside of free throws).

http://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/huntsvilletimes/index.ssf?/base/sports/1232532912111840.xml&coll=1

Texaubie
01-21-2009, 04:46 PM
Grats

kentubbybasketball
01-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Congrats on what... UK could very well come out flat this game, and if Auburn gets hot from three and goes all VMI on us, we could lose. I'm concerned a bit with this game to be honest.

jh4uk
01-21-2009, 05:41 PM
i'm not really worried about a let down in this game. the cats will come out and take care of business.

ukfan339
01-21-2009, 06:24 PM
This game will be the toughest oppenent UK has faced so far, but I think UK will pull this one out.....
UK:78
AU:72
And Meeks having only two points? Thats funny.

MKAU
01-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Rasheem Barrett throwing down the gauntlet saying he's going to hold Jodie Meeks to two points (outside of free throws).

http://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/huntsvilletimes/index.ssf?/base/sports/1232532912111840.xml&coll=1Christ I was about to say how stupid Barrett was but then I read the article and realized you took it completely out of context.

boxvic
01-21-2009, 07:08 PM
As good as Meeks is, at some point he is going to have an off night where his shots just don't fall.

I worry about it happening against a team like Auburn or Vandy that can hit the three. If we have to shift the whole scoring load onto Patterson in a game, well, there are worse horses to hitch your cart too- but if your opponent can match almost all of your 2 point FGs with a 3, then you are still going lose. If Meeks goes cold one night, I just don't think we have other shooters who could match the opponents 3-for-3.

SkyAntoine
01-21-2009, 08:05 PM
My belly is full of Old Hickory BBQ and I'm ready for this game.

steelyvan
01-21-2009, 08:07 PM
please tell me you washed it down with a little fine Kentucky Bourbon?!

SkyAntoine
01-21-2009, 08:12 PM
please tell me you washed it down with a little fine Kentucky Bourbon?!

Nope, only Coca-Cola and Mt. Dew in this house. :)

SkyAntoine
01-21-2009, 08:16 PM
UK with 4 TO's and Auburn turning up the heat. Meeks 6, PP 4.

boxvic
01-21-2009, 08:17 PM
Ok... seriously I'm pissed the f*ck off. How the hell is Fox 7 going to carry random SEC Raycom games between teams no one here cares about, but NOT carry the UK game?

SkyAntoine
01-21-2009, 08:22 PM
Auburn can't miss now.

SkyAntoine
01-21-2009, 08:33 PM
10 TO's. We're in a war...with Auburn.

boxvic
01-21-2009, 08:39 PM
found an online feed for free at Yahoo.

It is sad that it isn't on TV ANYWHERE in Western Kentucky.

ukfan339
01-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Yep, I strong war that will not be a blow out but yet will remain very close to the end.

SkyAntoine
01-21-2009, 08:44 PM
found an online feed for free at Yahoo.

It is sad that it isn't on TV ANYWHERE in Western Kentucky.

I'm watching the Louisville NBC station.

NCMISSSTFAN
01-21-2009, 08:44 PM
Can you post the link?

boxvic
01-21-2009, 08:45 PM
http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/ver/268.0/popup/index.php?rn=9033886&ch=9372372&cl=10661893

Try that...

boxvic
01-21-2009, 08:47 PM
I'm watching the Louisville NBC station.

My point. I think one of the BG stations might be playing it, and that is the farthest station West playing it. Once you get into Ohio county on West its not on TV.

SkyAntoine
01-21-2009, 08:51 PM
PP 12 points 11 boards
Meeks 11 points

13 TO's for UK

ukfan339
01-21-2009, 08:52 PM
A USC buzzer beater by UK before half.... :) UK Leads 34-33

MKAU
01-21-2009, 09:01 PM
I've never been a Barrett fan but he's keeping us in this one. This year he's doing what he does best and playing the midrange game. He's always shot to many 3s his first three years but tonight is a perfect example of what he does when he's at his best.

jh4uk
01-21-2009, 09:10 PM
13 effin t.o. for the cats... are you kidding me. but you have to give it up to the tigers. they are playing well. we have got to quit playing streetball here.

MKAU
01-21-2009, 09:13 PM
Christ, why does anybody but Meeks shoot for Kentucky?

SkyAntoine
01-21-2009, 09:22 PM
Christ, why does anybody but Meeks shoot for Kentucky?

...Or Patterson. Everyone else has missed shot after shot. Perry can only dunk the ball.

We have to have guys knock down shots when Meeks or PP can't shoot.

SkyAntoine
01-21-2009, 09:32 PM
Tigers are swarming PP inside when he catches it.

46-46

Djshockley3
01-21-2009, 09:32 PM
Auburn might not be the best team, but they play so hard.

SkyAntoine
01-21-2009, 09:38 PM
Auburn might not be the best team, but they play so hard.

You got that right. I've been impressed.

Crowd is trying to get in this now. Go Cats!

SkyAntoine
01-21-2009, 09:53 PM
1:40 remaining. Looks like the Cats will pull this out.

SkyAntoine
01-21-2009, 10:02 PM
Patterson 21 points 18 boards

Meeks 31 points

SkyAntoine
01-21-2009, 10:04 PM
Final 73-64

Good game, Tigers. New found respect for the way you guys played. A big difference in Auburn's effort and Georgia's.

MKAU
01-21-2009, 10:05 PM
I'll take the results without complaint. GG Kentucky. If we can play this hard every night I think we can get enough wins to make it to the NIT (which I have already been thinking we'd get that anyway).

MKAU
01-21-2009, 10:08 PM
Final 73-64

Good game, Tigers. New found respect for the way you guys played. A big difference in Auburn's effort and Georgia's.That's one thing about Jeff Lebo's teams, despite their records. You won't see a collective group of plays try so hard. That's why my favorite Auburn team of the past is the Mighty Midgets that only won a few conference games. No matter how much they were down or what they were up against they busted ass as if they were playing the last minute of the title game.

SkyAntoine
01-22-2009, 06:15 AM
Gillispie said in an interview (maybe post-game comments) that he wished the fans at Rupp would stop yelling "SHOOT" everytime someone touched the ball. I heard some boos again when Porter replaced Liggins, too.

Guess that's what happens when you have 23k+ assistant coaches.

weegeman
01-22-2009, 09:47 AM
Great effort by the Tigers and I was just glad to escape without a very damaging loss.

And Box, when I become President every Cat fan will get to watch all the Cats' games on TV live.

boxvic
01-22-2009, 10:52 AM
Gillispie said in an interview (maybe post-game comments) that he wished the fans at Rupp would stop yelling "SHOOT" everytime someone touched the ball. I heard some boos again when Porter replaced Liggins, too.

Guess that's what happens when you have 23k+ assistant coaches.

At this point I have no idea why people would boo when Porter comes in, its obvious to all but the most jaded that this team plays its best with Porter. For one thing Porter has chemistry with the other guys. But most importantly, Porter plays his role. He doesn't try to make passes any harder than they have to be, and he only shoots when he either has to or he is wide open. Liggins just doesn't "get it". He makes easy passes hard, he takes waaaaay too many hard passes, and he doesn't shoot when he has to (ex, shot clock running down) and jacks up a stupid shot when he is guarded and 3 feet behind the three point line.

I don't look for Liggins to much playing time the rest of the year really. If for nothing else, simply because he doesn't play the way Gillispie wants him to.

SkyAntoine
01-22-2009, 11:06 AM
At this point I have no idea why people would boo when Porter comes in, its obvious to all but the most jaded that this team plays its best with Porter. For one thing Porter has chemistry with the other guys. But most importantly, Porter plays his role. He doesn't try to make passes any harder than they have to be, and he only shoots when he either has to or he is wide open. Liggins just doesn't "get it". He makes easy passes hard, he takes waaaaay too many hard passes, and he doesn't shoot when he has to (ex, shot clock running down) and jacks up a stupid shot when he is guarded and 3 feet behind the three point line.

I don't look for Liggins to much playing time the rest of the year really. If for nothing else, simply because he doesn't play the way Gillispie wants him to.
Funny you should say that when you had previous posts like this...

Porter has no business playing above the Junior Pro level

I would rather play with four guys and bunny on a stick horse than have Porter on the court.

I wish Porter would transfer to Murray State!

:pirate:(Quotation brackets are dangerous things.:))

boxvic
01-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Slanderous lies!

Though Murray actually could use a guy like Porter.

Djshockley3
01-22-2009, 01:46 PM
Final 73-64

Good game, Tigers. New found respect for the way you guys played. A big difference in Auburn's effort and Georgia's.

Now that is the truth.

OffThePorch
01-22-2009, 02:54 PM
closer than i thought it would be. Congrats UK on the win & the good start.