Rivals power rankings... [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Rivals power rankings...

XPS
01-20-2009, 09:06 AM
Coaches

13# Billy Gillispie
19# Billy Donovan
20# Bruce Pearl

PG

5# Nick Calathes
11# Devan Downey
17# Courtney Fortson
25# Dee Bost

SG

1# Jodie Meeks
13# Marcus Thornton
16# Davis Huertas

SF

3# Tyler Smith
20# Tasmin Mitchell
24# Jeffery Taylor

PF

3# Patrick Patterson
16# Wayne Chism

C

8# Jarvis Varnado
11# Michael Washington
12# A.J Ogilvy
23# Korvotney Barber
25# Alex Tyus

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=902348

UA37
01-20-2009, 09:15 AM
Future Bama head coach Tubby Smith is #23.

XPS
01-20-2009, 09:22 AM
Future Bama head coach Tubby Smith is #23.

How much of a shot do you really think Bama has?

UA37
01-20-2009, 09:31 AM
How much of a shot do you really think Bama has?

I don't know but i have lots of hope for change today!

Really, i think we have a decent shot. I believe he's the target with Grant #2 and Anderson #3. Tubby's spent 17 years in the SEC. His sons played in the SEC. Tubby knows the SEC and he knows Bama's potential. I'm sure he'll give Bama or Georgia some consideration.

XPS
01-20-2009, 09:36 AM
I don't know but i have lots of hope for change today!

Really, i think we have a decent shot. I believe he's the target with Grant #2 and Anderson #3. Tubby's spent 17 years in the SEC. His sons played in the SEC. Tubby knows the SEC and he knows Bama's potential. I'm sure he'll give Bama or Georgia some consideration.

I would be very surprised if Tubby left Minn...

UA37
01-20-2009, 09:48 AM
I would be very surprised if Tubby left Minn...

That's cool. NO ONE thought we would get Saban. Also it's been told that Saban wants the bball program at the level of the football program. And you know what Saban says goes. If we don't get Tubby, it won't be b/c of lack of effort.

XPS
01-20-2009, 09:56 AM
That's cool. NO ONE thought we would get Saban. Also it's been told that Saban wants the bball program at the level of the football program. And you know what Saban says goes. If we don't get Tubby, it won't be b/c of lack of effort.

LOL, Saban moves around much more than Tubby does, I don't believe Tubby will do Minn like that, why would he? No pressure, doing very well in his second year and has a very good recruiting class coming in. What advantages would Bama offer him that Minn can't? Also, Bama will always be a football school first...

UA37
01-20-2009, 10:02 AM
LOL, Saban moves around much more than Tubby does, I don't believe Tubby will do Minn like that, why would he? No pressure, doing very well in his second year and has a very good recruiting class coming in. What advantages would Bama offer him that Minn can't? Also, Bama will always be a football school first...

The main one that could be the decisive faactor is the ability to coach in the SEC and live in the south. That's what he's done for the majority of his career. He can win at either place. I do think Bama has more potential than Minnesota tho.

MSUado
01-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Great to see Bost crack the list. He's going to be a keeper.

VandyChuck
01-20-2009, 10:55 AM
There's also a freshman list...

#3 Courtney Fortson
#8 Jeffrey Taylor
#11 Dee Bost
#22 Terrico White

GatorMan32
01-20-2009, 11:45 AM
I think Tubby would enjoy coming back to the SEC. Minnesota was something that was a forced move for him.

orange&white
01-20-2009, 12:06 PM
All in indications are Tubby loves Minnesota and isn't going anywhere.

XPS
01-20-2009, 12:08 PM
I think Tubby would enjoy coming back to the SEC. Minnesota was something that was a forced move for him.

You really think so 32?

Vandy420
01-20-2009, 12:14 PM
The reason no one believed Bama would get Saban is b/c he said I will not be the coach at Alabama. Not b/c we didn't think Bama could land him. They are a match made in heaven though, both corrupt, familier with the "win at all cost" attitude.

UA37
01-20-2009, 12:37 PM
The reason no one believed Bama would get Saban is b/c he said I will not be the coach at Alabama. Not b/c we didn't think Bama could land him. They are a match made in heaven though, both corrupt, familier with the "win at all cost" attitude.

lol sure... so everyone thought we were going to get him up until that point??

You're right about one thing. Saban and Bama are a good match.

NCMISSSTFAN
01-20-2009, 12:50 PM
I wouldn't be suprised to see Tubby back in the SEC one day, and Alabama and Georgia would both be two very good choices. He's a great coach who just had a hard time exceeding UK's expectations, even though he won 20 plus games a year. I'm not real sure how happy he is at Minnesota but he's building a very good program there and probably won't just leave like that. Who knows though.

XPS
01-20-2009, 12:57 PM
I wouldn't be suprised to see Tubby back in the SEC one day, and Alabama and Georgia would both be two very good choices. He's a great coach who just had a hard time exceeding UK's expectations, even though he won 20 plus games a year. I'm not real sure how happy he is at Minnesota but he's building a very good program there and probably won't just leave like that. Who knows though.

Would Duke, UNC, Uconn, UofL and UCLA be satisfied with 20 wins a year and a early exit from the ncaa?

Dawg
01-20-2009, 01:15 PM
A bit surprised to not see Ravern among the SG's, but to each his own. His ppg average isn't very high because of the balance of the MSU squad.

VandyChuck
01-20-2009, 01:18 PM
A bit surprised to not see Ravern among the SG's, but to each his own. His ppg average isn't very high because of the balance of the MSU squad.

He's number 1 on my list!

MSUado
01-20-2009, 01:45 PM

Ravern is more of a sf isn't he. Anyway, I think he is a bit too inconsistent to be on these lists but he is definitely on his way.

NCMISSSTFAN
01-20-2009, 08:25 PM

Exactly, we have 4 guys averging double figures including Ravern, He will have his time though, he's only a sophmore.

NCMISSSTFAN
01-20-2009, 08:29 PM
Would Duke, UNC, Uconn, UofL and UCLA be satisfied with 20 wins a year and a early exit from the ncaa?

I never said that, my point is that UK is one of those schools that place high expectations on the coach and program, which it should, and as good of a coach as Tubby is, apparantly he wasn't good enough for some.

Wave&Dawgs
01-20-2009, 11:01 PM
Nice to see Bost getting a little national recognition. I am so damn excited about his future. If Varnado comes back next year and Bost continues to improve, I think this team could make a big run next season.

kentubbybasketball
01-21-2009, 11:44 AM

Do Minnesota like what? Like leave after two years? What did he do to UGA?

And, Minnesota is very much a football school first as well. That's why they got the new stadium, while Tubby is trying to get a practice facility built... but they are behind baseball too.

The thing about it is, I agree with you overall... Tubby isn't leaving from what I can gather. he's got the two best players coming to the Big Ten next year. He's on the cusp of winning a Big Ten title as well.

What else is there left for Tubby to do in the SEC, especially considering the awkwardness that playing UK could present.

kentubbybasketball
01-21-2009, 11:46 AM

Forced? I know our AD felt shocked/blindsided by the announcement that Tubby was leaving and that Tubby had been working with Minnesota on leaving for 6 months. Tubby left on his own accord.

I think you underestimate how awkward it would be for Tubby to coach in the SEC now that he's coached at UK.

And, I know for a fact that Tubby is tired of moving Donna around or at least doesn't like having to move her around. He talked about it a few times here at UK and he stayed here ten years. Donna once quoted Steve Spurrier's wife in talking about how much coaches and their families have to move.

Simply put, Tubby is well appreciated at Minnesota and well paid as in $1.75 million a year. It was a big deal when Bama gave CMG his first $1 million contract a few years, and I sure Tubby wouldn't leave Minnesota if he didn't get close to double that.

But, one thing in Bama's back pocket is that it's the South. Rick Pitino always talks about how Tubby has lots of south contacts, which helps recruiting, especially in neighboring Georgia. So, that might be intriguing... I wonder if Maryland comes open soon? Now, that would be something to watch to see if Tubby made a jump.

UA37
01-21-2009, 11:59 AM
It may be awkward or UK fans, but Bama fans would LOVE to have him in the SEC again. He would have hero status for replacing Gottfried. I'm sure he'd love to stick it to UK too. He wasn't fired, but he didn't leave UK for Minnesota b/c he thought it was a better job.

kentubbybasketball
01-21-2009, 01:28 PM
UA37, there were better jobs available though when he decided to leave UK, so it's not like Tubby was forced... that's poor word choice more than anything. Barnhart expected to have Tubby back the next year at UK.. he wasn't expecting to have a coaching search... that's just coming from Tubby's boss, so you can take how you want.

But, I want to focus on this idea that Tubby wants to stick it to UK fans... if that's how you perceive Tubby, you really don't much about the character of the man. There's been times that Tubby could have taken swipes at UK, but he's always taken the high road... that's Tubby Smith. Don't confuse him with another former great UK coach that has been the exact opposite.

UA37
01-21-2009, 01:34 PM
UA37, there were better jobs available though when he decided to leave UK, so it's not like Tubby was forced... that's poor word choice more than anything. Barnhart expected to have Tubby back the next year at UK.. he wasn't expecting to have a coaching search... that's just coming from Tubby's boss, so you can take how you want.

But, I want to focus on this idea that Tubby wants to stick it to UK fans... if that's how you perceive Tubby, you really don't much about the character of the man. There's been times that Tubby could have taken swipes at UK, but he's always taken the high road... that's Tubby Smith. Don't confuse him with another former great UK coach that has been the exact opposite.

I would be shocked to see Tubby ever make a negative remark about UK. However, i'm sure if he has to compete against Kentucky he'll compete with a fire to show up all of those UK fans who screamed for his departure.

LSUTigers1404
01-21-2009, 01:39 PM
It may be awkward or UK fans, but Bama fans would LOVE to have him in the SEC again. He would have hero status for replacing Gottfried. I'm sure he'd love to stick it to UK too. He wasn't fired, but he didn't leave UK for Minnesota b/c he thought it was a better job.

Do the majority of Bama fans care about basketball that much? I think hero status is pushing it.

UA37
01-21-2009, 01:46 PM
Do the majority of Bama fans care about basketball that much? I think hero status is pushing it.

Maybe, but think about how LSU fans thought about Brady and times that by a million and you'll understand how Bama fans feel about Gottfried.

kentubbybasketball
01-21-2009, 02:04 PM
Speaking of awkwardness... it would be weird to fire an alum I'm sure. It's hard to fire anybody let alone a "favorite son." So, that would be hard for Mal Moore to pull the plug I'd imagine.