UT @ Vandy Game [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : UT @ Vandy Game

Tennessee
01-19-2009, 01:53 PM
These middle of the week 9PM games are killing my sleeping routine and our record LOL

Probably the biggest challenge of the year for the Vols...We had to play in an electric Fogg Field House, but I will be interested to see how our young guys handle to weird court configuration at Vandy...We play alot better defense in the 1st half of games when we are on Bruce's end of the floor than they do the second half, so now they have to play a whole game without him right there to coach them up...I'm interested (a little scared) to see how they react

Maybe, just maybe, last week's game was Scotty's coming out party, and he will be a contributor for the rest of the season...Wayne had one of his "huh?" games against SC, so he usually follows those with strong performances

Vandy at 1-2 is a little bit on the ropes right now, and I think they come out swinging to get their record back to .500

Unfortunately, I think Vandy takes this one :banghead:

steelyvan
01-19-2009, 02:17 PM
Vandy has UT and UF back-to-back @ Memorial this week. If they are going to make the tourney, they need quality wins. So the game tomorrow will be intense.

Rocky@theTop
01-19-2009, 02:28 PM
I don't like playing in Memorial. I'll call this one 50/50.

govandy0620
01-19-2009, 04:01 PM
I think we take this one, but it will be a dog fight. Definately won't live up to last year. That was intense.

bleedorange1983
01-19-2009, 10:57 PM
the way ut is playing right now, vandy will probably win. but god i hope jay cutler doesn't show up again, he spells doom for ut and for all that is holy.

Dawg
01-20-2009, 02:12 PM
I have Vanderbilt winning a close game.

kentubbybasketball
01-20-2009, 03:12 PM
It's interesting. Vandy beat UT last year in this game, right after UT just took #1 from Memphis. I wonder what kind of pressure that puts on these Vandy players, because most of them didn't play in that game... you'd think UT would have that loss in the back of their minds as well.

I think UT wins, but I hope Vandy wins (oh, I've got to take a shower)... it would seem to serve UK better if there is a two game distance between us and UT.

Vandy420
01-20-2009, 03:17 PM
Should be a good game. We will see how the young vandy guys respond to the crowd. If we hit a decent % of our tree's we should win.

kentubbybasketball
01-20-2009, 03:18 PM
420, do you think this will be a high-scoring game? Granted, Vandy's D is better this year, but I still think their defense has been exposed some in SEC play. And, we know about UT's defensive struggles?

VandyChuck
01-20-2009, 03:30 PM
I hardly think that giving up 68 ppg (2nd) in SEC play on 41% FG (3rd) is Vandy's defense being "exposed".

That said, MSU had a good night shooting, but our defense was still fairly sound. We DID outrebound MSU for probably the first time since the Carter administration.

I think we win tonight, FWIW. Something like 76-70.

kentubbybasketball
01-20-2009, 03:33 PM
Chuck, I think you're FG% D was third in the nation at one point right? I'm not sure where it's at now, but I'd expect it to be lower. I feel like defense is what you hurt you in a second half stretch against UK (although Meeks was held in check and Patterson was saddled with foul trouble). You've already talked about the defense against MSU.

Against SEC level teams (especially the better SEC teams), I'm not sure Vandy's defense is as good as the perception was during the OOC season. Granted, you watch more Vandy ball than I do, but that's just my opinion.

I will say UT at times plays on offense to where the defense is let off the hook... so if UT starts throwing up bad shots, Vandy's defense may not have to come threw as much. I do feel like the best defense against Vandy is packing it in a little to key in on Smith and Chism. Letting the "shooters" beat you in other words.

VandyChuck
01-20-2009, 03:42 PM
I don't know what else they can do to convince you. They were number 1 in the country in FG% defense before the MSU game. Can't find any updated national stats since Jan. 15th. Still number 1 in FG% defense and points allowed in the SEC. I guess it's just all been smoke and mirrors though.

kentubbybasketball
01-20-2009, 03:45 PM
Let me ask you this, would you really in your right mind say you're defense is better than MSU's? Or Kentucky's for that matter?

I've never been a proponent of using FG% defense to say someone is a better defense than another team, simply put, some teams are the reason for their low percentage, not the defense. Take a team like UT for instance, which shoots its own self in the foot.

I've never suggest Vandys' defense was bad or it wasn't good... I do think the defense is better than usual (especially last year). I guess what I'm saying is after the rigors of a 16 game SEC schedule, I'd like to revisit the discussion.

OffThePorch
01-20-2009, 03:55 PM
imo Vandy has a good chance to win this game.

VandyChuck
01-20-2009, 04:07 PM
Let me ask you this, would you really in your right mind say you're defense is better than MSU's? Or Kentucky's for that matter?

I've never been a proponent of using FG% defense to say someone is a better defense than another team, simply put, some teams are the reason for their low percentage, not the defense. Take a team like UT for instance, which shoots its own self in the foot.

I've never suggest Vandys' defense was bad or it wasn't good... I do think the defense is better than usual (especially last year). I guess what I'm saying is after the rigors of a 16 game SEC schedule, I'd like to revisit the discussion.

would you in your right mind say that Jodie Meeks is averaging 26 ppg this year?? Oh yeah, I guess you could because that's what the numbers say.

We've only given up 70+ points 3 times all year, and none more than 76. We certainly haven't let anyone score 100 (or 111) against us. We have a very long and athletic team this year who is extremely disciplined on the defensive end, but is really struggling offensively.

Yes, our defense is as good or better than UK and MSU. MSU has Varnado and 4 guards. Rhodes and Gordon are no longer there to shut down opposing teams.

kentubbybasketball
01-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Chuck, I believe you can only let stats dictate an opinion to a certain point. Not all levels of competiton are equal. I think you'd be hardpressed to find a person that really believes Vandy is the better defensive team compared to MSU. Maybe I'm wrong though. Some of our better defensive teams have been the smaller ones because of their "peskiness," so I don't think that hurts MSU's case really.

As for Jodie, considering he's scored well all season long against all kinds of competition, I think the answer to your question is "yes." (He's scored 20 in every SEC game thus far in other words). As for Vandy against SEC competition, do you think the defense has been sensational?

Against UK, I think for that second half stretch, sure Vandy's offense got them out of the game, but the defense did, too. For example, I never think you guys really "stopped" DeAndre Liggins from doing what he wanted to do in that game.

Vandy420
01-20-2009, 04:19 PM
I would definitly say our defense is better than both MSU and UK. Where we are struggling is on the offensive side. We are just plain out missing our open shots. We had so many wide open looks against MSU, and we just missed. If we hit our open shots we could have won both against UK and MSU. We went on dry spells in both games where we couldn't hit anything. It's not we aren't creating shots, b/c we are. It is we are not hitting the shots we have. I don't expect us to hit all of our shots, but at least a majority of the open looks.

I think tonight will be a low scoring game probably in the 60's. We have one of the better defensive teams in the SEC and country. We just aren't playing both ends of the floor. We used to be great offensively but not able to stop anyone on defense. Now we have a very solid dfensive team, but can't hit our open shots.

UT needs to speed things up and pressure us and force us to take quick shots to win. If they get to our young guys and rush their shots, we are in trouble. For Vandy we need to slow it down, run our offense, get our shots and make them, then play solid D as usual. UT needs to force us to take outside shots, b/c we are not good at that. We need to feed it down low and have Ezelli and Ogilvy have big games.

kentubbybasketball
01-20-2009, 04:21 PM
I think "solid" is exactly the way to describe Vandy's defense... nothing more, nothing less.

Vandy420
01-20-2009, 04:22 PM
MSU's small speedy lineup gave us fits. We do good guarding for most the shot clock, but just like UK, MSU killed us with long shots as the shot clock was winding down. Or D wasn't bad really in SEC play, it is we are not making our open shots when we get them. You can't go on long runs where we miss lots of open shots and can't score like we have in our 2 SEC losses. It wasn't the other teams D so much as it was us missing open looks.

VandyChuck
01-20-2009, 04:28 PM
. For example, I never think you guys really "stopped" DeAndre Liggins from doing what he wanted to do in that game.

LMAO...Yeah that ONE point he scored (0-5 FG) against us REALLY showed us who's boss.

VandyChuck
01-20-2009, 04:31 PM
Chuck, I believe you can only let stats dictate an opinion to a certain point. Not all levels of competiton are equal. I think you'd be hardpressed to find a person that really believes Vandy is the better defensive team compared to MSU. Maybe I'm wrong though. Some of our better defensive teams have been the smaller ones because of their "peskiness," so I don't think that hurts MSU's case really.

You're letting past stereotypes dictate your current opinion. You shouldn't let that happen. I don't think a SINGLE TEAM we've played (other than UIC) has hit their average ppg. We're certainly not a flashy defensive team. We don't go for steals. We just play solid ball defense, and Stallings couldn't be happier about it.

GoBigO
I can't get a pulse on this game. IF Tennessee plays to their potential, then they take care of business. If they slack in their D and turn the ball over they lose. Wasn't there almost 20 TO against USC the other night? They won't win the game @ Memorial if they do that again.

kentubbybasketball
Chuck, IMO, he was the difference in that second half run. Case in point, I look at the pass he got off to Perry Stevenson off in transition... which got Perry two points... point guards set up others to score you know. I think the pass was behind the back as well. I normally don't judge a lead guard's (that's what he is not a point guard) imprint on the game by how many points he scored. He was making things happen in that game during a run that got us up by 20 points.

Of course, Stallings is happy BTW. We all know what CKS is used to seeing from his defense. This is a noted improvement.

kentubbybasketball
01-20-2009, 04:33 PM
I can't get a pulse on this game. IF Tennessee plays to their potential, then they take care of business. If they slack in their D and turn the ball over they lose. Wasn't there almost 20 TO against USC the other night? They won't win the game @ Memorial if they do that again.

I'm right there with you. I feel like UT controls its destiny and Vandy's in this game. If UT's better team (more controlled team) shows up, I think they win whether Vandy plays well or not.

orange&white
01-20-2009, 04:42 PM
I think "solid" is exactly the way to describe Vandy's defense... nothing more, nothing less.

Vandy's defense is really, really good and their offense is just the opposite.

Vandy420
01-20-2009, 04:43 PM
So if Vandy plays well does not affect the outcome? How idiotic is that?

If both teams play to their potential we should have a double OT game decided on a last second shot from beyond half court.

UT has a little more experience, Vandy has homecourt. UT has a pressure defense, Vandy has a on ball type defense. UT can score in bunches fast, Vandy has potential to be able to, but hasn't proven to be a big time offensive team. The crowd will play a big part tonight, and I think the key is to have Ezelli and Ogilvy in at the same time and feed them the ball all night long. If we do that it will open up Taylor, beal and tinsley to light the place up. We have to slow down their transition game, and play D the full shot clock, not just 3/4 of it. We need to guard better on the perimeter and stop giving up 3's late in the shot clock.

kentubbybasketball
01-20-2009, 04:56 PM
420, that's not what I said, and I know you're smart enough to know that's not even what I said. What I said was UT is in control here. I think there's a big enough gap between these teams that UT is gonna decide how this plays out. If UT brings it, they should win. If they bring a so-so game, it's a crapshoot. If they don't bring it at all, I think Vandy wins. But, I really feel like if both teams play their ultimate best, UT should win. You see to me, I'm still not convinced UT isn't gonna end up with the SEC's best record when the dust settles after 24 games... maybe I'm way off on that one.

O&W, I admit Vandy's defense is good, and I feel like I've acknowledged that. But, I'm not gonna act like it's a Howland/Jamie Dixon kind of defense that's suffocating. To me that's a fair standard you base someone's defense on.

Tennessee
01-20-2009, 06:07 PM
imo Vandy has a good chance to win this game.

Whoa there...Don't go too far out there with your prediction :rotf:

govandy0620
01-20-2009, 07:09 PM
We decided to "white out" the place again. Oh bother..

SkyAntoine
01-20-2009, 09:09 PM
Wow...Memorial Gym looks even more messed up in HD tonight.

Go Vols! I hate that gym.

sabanocchio
01-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Weezy stepping it up early.

SkyAntoine
01-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Vandy has scored a whopping 11 points in 16 minutes. Why couldn't this offense have showed up against UK last year?

SkyAntoine
01-20-2009, 09:51 PM
Funniest T I've ever seen by Chism. :rotf:

steelyvan
01-20-2009, 09:51 PM
it's kinda the same offense....just not the same execution

sabanocchio
01-20-2009, 09:54 PM
Weird T for sure. I'll take an 8 point lead on the road in one of the toughest places to play in the SEC. Chism is having a monster game again with 16 in the first half. Hope he can keep that going.

Tennessee
01-20-2009, 10:00 PM
If you just saw the score on the bottom line, it would seem like a boring game, but has been a fun game so far IMO

Rocky@theTop
01-20-2009, 11:25 PM
VOLS controlled start to finish. I am not impressed with Vandy at all. Maybe it's youth, but I see very little post season in their future.

govandy0620
01-20-2009, 11:38 PM
congrats Vols...ya'll spanked us. If we don't beat UF Sunday..our season is basicly in the dumps.

Mr. Tennessee
01-20-2009, 11:43 PM
Very happy with tonight's performance. They played hard and gave their all for two games in a row. They need to keep that up.

Tennessee
01-21-2009, 07:28 AM
Best start-to-finish game we've played all year...Chism got it going early, and Smith and Hopson finished it down the stretch

It looks like Bruce has finally said, screw it, and stopped trying to make this team a running team...It looks like the philosophy has done a complete 180 and we've become a physical, Xs and Os sort of team

Vandy420
01-21-2009, 08:57 AM
Good game UT. LIke I sadi before it depended on us hitting our open shots. Which we did not. If we would have just hit half of our wide open shots this would have been a very good game. Instead we never could get any momentum. UT did a good job of shutting down the inside (Even though we had alot of easy looks close to the basket, we just couldn't hit them). THis has to be one of the worst shooting Vandy teams I have ever seen. Our D is there, we just can't hit our shots. Hopefully this is b/c we are so young. I see maybe a NIT this year. We definitly have talent, but they all need to work on their shooting. AJ is playing like a sissy. He should have skipped the olympic tryouts in Australia and spent the time in the weight room. He gets pushed around by just about anybody down low. He needs to get stronger if he wants to play at the next level. At least we probably don't have to worry about him leaving early. You can tell how much he missed this off season.

Good win UT, tough team. Chism impressed me. UT isn't really that good, but they are tough, and that will win them games.

Rocky@theTop
01-21-2009, 09:45 AM
15 games into last season, I thought Oglivy was ready for the NBA. Now I think he's just soft. Either it's a sophomore slump or he's just another 'European' type player.

And FWIW... we'll take "UT isn't really that good" if it means blowing teams out on their home floor.

(Hey UK... you're not really that good.) ;)

GoBigO
01-21-2009, 09:57 AM
Good game by the VOLS last night...Probably one of the best overall games they have played all year long. The defense was there for the majority of the game. Vandy's statistics show that they had a poor shooting night; but when you see that game you know that a huge part of that was from the pressure Tennessee gave them on the perimeter and the fact Ogilvy was owned inside by pretty much anyone that was wearing an orange jersey.

Scotty Hopson is beginning to develop into something special and I was very impressed with Chism's play too. (P.S. That technical was B.S.)

Vandy420
01-21-2009, 09:58 AM
First you didn't blow anyone out on their home floor. The game was around 8-10 points the whole way except for the end when free throws stretched the final score. We had the worst shooting night i have ever seen in Memorial from Vandy. And not b/c UT didn't give us any shots. We just missed wide open shots left and right.

UT will get beat by a good team. They aren't a top 20 team. Thats what I meant by not that good.

Vandy420
01-21-2009, 10:07 AM
Good game by the VOLS last night...Probably one of the best overall games they have played all year long. The defense was there for the majority of the game. Vandy's statistics show that they had a poor shooting night; but when you see that game you know that a huge part of that was from the pressure Tennessee gave them on the perimeter and the fact Ogilvy was owned inside by pretty much anyone that was wearing an orange jersey.

Scotty Hopson is beginning to develop into something special and I was very impressed with Chism's play too. (P.S. That technical was B.S.)

Rocky I agree Ogilvy is soft. I thought the same thing that he had a bright NBA future, but unless he toughens up he will be like you said, another soft european player...even though he is not european.

And alot of Vandys struggles were not b/c of UT's defense, they were b/c we missed wide open shots. UT did not play good perimeter defense. They played tough in the paint using 1-1/2 men to guard and shut down Ogilvy, but he still got his looks. We just didn't shoot well from the outside. UT gave us plenty of open looks, we just couldn't hit them.

UT did control the pace, and you could tell that affected our young players.

Vandy has no one to blame but themselves after such a poor shooting performance. I'm not saying they would have won, but it should have been a 1 posession game. Instead with our poor shooting it gave UT the game unchallenged. Good win for UT, poor performance by Vandy.

And you will get a T evertime you jerk your headband off, and scream at the opposing teams bench with the ref right there next to you. I didn't see anyway anyone could question that call. If he was not right next to and facing the vandy bench he might not have gotten the T. But basically taunting the opposing bench will get you a T everytime, especially when the ref is within 2 ft of you.

Rocky@theTop
01-21-2009, 10:24 AM
First you didn't blow anyone out on their home floor. The game was around 8-10 points the whole way except for the end when free throws stretched the final score. We had the worst shooting night i have ever seen in Memorial from Vandy. And not b/c UT didn't give us any shots. We just missed wide open shots left and right.

UT will get beat by a good team. They aren't a top 20 team. Thats what I meant by not that good.

Losing by 10pts+ on your home floor is a blowout. Memorial Junk is supposed create a home court advantage above most places in the country. On a netral court Vandy loses by 15-20. In Knoxville they would have lost by 25.

Rocky@theTop
01-21-2009, 10:28 AM
Rocky I agree Ogilvy is soft. I thought the same thing that he had a bright NBA future, but unless he toughens up he will be like you said, another soft european player...even though he is not european.

And alot of Vandys struggles were not b/c of UT's defense, they were b/c we missed wide open shots. UT did not play good perimeter defense. They played tough in the paint using 1-1/2 men to guard and shut down Ogilvy, but he still got his looks. We just didn't shoot well from the outside. UT gave us plenty of open looks, we just couldn't hit them.

Vandy has no one to blame but themselves after such a poor shooting performance. I'm not saying they would have won, but it should have been a 1 posession game. Instead with our poor shooting it gave UT the game unchallenged. Good win for UT, poor performance by Vandy.

And you will get a T evertime you jerk your headband off, and scream at the opposing teams bench with the ref right there next to you. I didn't see anyway anyone could question that call. If he was not right next to and facing the vandy bench he might not have gotten the T. But basically taunting the opposing bench will get you a T everytime, especially when the ref is within 2 ft of you.

You must have been watching a different game because Vandy had no offensive options because Tennessee played well on both ends. We shot 50%.... UT's defense and patient offense was the controlling factors of the game... not Vandy's inability to score at will.

GoBigO
01-21-2009, 10:31 AM

Yes, he took off the headband so I'll give you that but he did NOT taunt the Vandy bench. Yes, I called that technical B.S. because I have seen much worse antics from players in many other games not get called. That was my point. And yes I will agree that he shouldnt of been that animated next to the ref.

As for their shooting, yes they missed some open looks but they also took some low percentage shots from a) being rushed by the shotclock and b) Tennessee had a hand in their face most of the night. Say waht you want about the VOLS, holding Vandy to 20 points on their home floor the first half and shutting down your "best" player in Ogilvy is credible. Memorial Magic was nowhere to be found last night thanks to the Orange Blazer. ;)

Rocky@theTop
01-21-2009, 10:55 AM
Any non-VOL or Dores watch the game? Your take?

GoBigO
01-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Any non-VOL or Dores watch the game? Your take?

Yeah, please do...Vandy420's blinders in this thread is making my eyes bleed. :rolleyes:

VandyChuck
01-21-2009, 11:10 AM
UT played as disciplined (in terms of their half court offense shot selection...NOT in on court antics) as I've seen them play since Pearl has gotten there. They hit their free throws, played good defense, and answered every run Vandy had.

420 is right about AJ. HUGE disappointment so far. He doesn't seem to be working very hard for position, but that might be because even in the rare occation he does seem to work hard, he[s just not getting the ball. I can literally only remember him touching the ball on the blocks once in the second half and he drew a foul on Chism. AJ can't even hit his FT's anymore!

We're just not very good right now. Our youth showed through last night as our guys were VERY tight at the beginning of the game where UT built an early lead. UT by no means played a 'great' game, but well enough to beat us on a horrid shooting night which has become the norm as opposed to the exception lately. I think this team will continue to struggle in the meantime, but really turn it on in mid-late February.

It's nice that we're finally outrebounding teams that usually kill us on the boards (MSU, UT), but that's just me trying to find a silver lining I guess. Well played game, UT.

Vandy420
01-21-2009, 11:24 AM
Vandy had maybe 4 posessions where the shot clock played a role in them taking a low percentage shot, a majority of our offensive problems were missed open looks. We must have been watching different games, b/c Vandy had plenty of open looks but just couldn't knock them down. UT played good inside D, but other than late didn't really challenge our shooters on the perimeter. But that could have been by choice, b/c we weren't/ haven't been hitting the open looks.

as for chism I will agree I have seen much worse go uncalled. And the major part of that T was the ref being so close. He obviously said something, but i couldn't make it out on TV. He was facing and right next to the vandy bench when he said whatever it was, and the ref was very quick to give him the T. So I have to assume it was what he said that drew the T. The rest was borderline but probably not T worthy. So he had to have said something directed at the bench to get the T called.

And Rocky, losing by 20 on your homecourt (See UK-UT) is a blowout. Losing by 10+, when the game was single digits with 5-6 minutes left is not a blowout.

But really does it matter? A loss is a loss, and a win is a win, so arguing over what a blowout is, is just retarded. UT was the better team, no doubt.

I bring up the missed open shots by vandy as the main reason we lost, but take note to what I also said, if we hit at least half of our open shots it would have been a down to the wire game, but would not have made us win necessarily. It just would have made it more interesting. UT had good execution on offense and was very efficient, not taking too many bad shots. They took their time and didn't rush anything, which was key.

GoBigO
01-21-2009, 11:55 AM
Vandy also has hung their hat this season on good defense. Vandy came in tied for the nation's stingiest field goal percentage defense but Tennessee seemed to have easy shots all night for the most part. Tennessee was just more athletic and better coached. A true testament to Pearl being 5-2 against Stallings.

Rocky@theTop
01-21-2009, 12:02 PM
Vandy also has hung their hat this season on good defense. Vandy came in tied for the nation's stingiest field goal percentage defense but Tennessee seemed to have easy shots all night for the most part. Tennessee was just more athletic and better coached. A true testament to Pearl being 5-2 against Stallings.

Those two Stallings wins... a combined 4pts. ;)

VandyChuck
01-21-2009, 12:03 PM
Wayne Chism: Career 29% 3pt shooter

Wayne Chism vs. Vanderbilt: Career 47% 3pt shooter

I hate that guy.

When did you guys start hitting FT's? I watched the UK game and it was like 12 miniature Shaq's up there at the foul line.

VandyChuck
01-21-2009, 12:04 PM
Those two Stallings wins... a combined 4pts. ;)

One point for each day you got to spend at number 1 before losing to us. :raz:

VandyChuck
01-21-2009, 12:06 PM
and just because I can't have this go unnoticed! Copied and pasted from a previous Jodie Meeks thread.

Originally posted by VandyChuck:

Congrats to Meeks! Whatta performance.

Where's the defense, UT??? George Drake is gonna go off for 16 points vs. UT next Tuesday (that's the equivalent of Meeks' 54)

Vandy420
01-21-2009, 12:08 PM

Can't disagree with any of this. UT seemed to get their shots when they wanted them. They had our young guys looking lost out there. Pearl has definitly adapted to playing Vandy, Stallings hasn't at least this year.

GoBigO
01-21-2009, 12:09 PM
Wayne Chism: Career 29% 3pt shooter

Wayne Chism vs. Vanderbilt: Career 47% 3pt shooter

I hate that guy.

When did you guys start hitting FT's? I watched the UK game and it was like 12 miniature Shaq's up there at the foul line.

Good question. It has been a Jeckyl and Hyde situation all year for us. You can never count on Prince to hit them for sure. Chism and Smith are usually pretty good. Maze has had his moments unlike Ramar Smith last year, who I kept one eye open and shut the whole time he went to the charity stripe.

Hopson also shot well at the line. BTW, we barely sniffed the foul line the first half.

Rocky@theTop
01-21-2009, 12:14 PM
One point for each day you got to spend at number 1 before losing to us. :raz:

WRONG!!! We were #1 for 48hrs. If you're gonna slam, get it right. :raz:

Vandy420
01-21-2009, 12:16 PM
We did good not fouling in the first half last night. I believe UT had 1 foul shot the first half and it was at the end of the half.

Rocky@theTop
01-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Can I get an I 40 T-shirt?

VandyChuck
01-21-2009, 12:18 PM
Can I get an I 40 T-shirt?

Don't hate on our peeps because the most clever your guys can come up with is "Bruce Pearl is my Homeboy" :rotf:

Rocky@theTop
01-21-2009, 12:35 PM
Don't hate on our peeps because the most clever your guys can come up with is "Bruce Pearl is my Homeboy" :rotf:

Will there be a DVD of the student section wearing the shirts?

kentubbybasketball
01-21-2009, 12:41 PM
I gotta say this played out how I expected. UT had an 8 point halftime lead and was never really in danger in the second half.

Ogilvy and Taylor getting 13 together does surprise me. It seems like Ogilvy hasn't really taken his game up to another notch or not to what was generally expected reading comments from people here.

I guess UT did make Drake look like a great scorer.

I feel like Vandy's D wasn't outstanding. Giving over 40 points in a second half, where you're only down 8 to begin with? At one point late in the game UT was shooting at 51% from the field as well. I know vandy misses lots of open shots, and the defense is keeping margins more respectable, but I feel like Vandy could have dug deeper on teh defensive end.

VandyChuck
01-21-2009, 12:56 PM
Will there be a DVD of the student section wearing the shirts?

Stay off our Scout board, TROLL!

SkyAntoine
01-21-2009, 01:06 PM
The shirts reminded me of Puke last year when they wore the ghey green Earth day shirts until they started getting clobbered. Seems like it was the UNC game, but I can't remember.

They started throwing them onto the court in protest. Vandy should have done the same.

orange&white
01-21-2009, 01:44 PM
Got to seat in the third row in section E last night so I got to hear pretty much everything said between Pearl and the refs. Wayne didn't get the T for taking off the head band or celebrating. From what I gathered the ref thought he said something vulgar to Vandy bench which Wayne was beyong adamant that he didn't say and the looked like the ref ended up believing him. Wayne said something, but not what they ref thought he said apparently and not worthy of a T. As far as the game goes this was the fourth UT game I've got to sit the close to the floor in my life and there were five guys whose heads were above the rims last night: Tyler Smith, Prince, Hopson, Taylor, and Goulbourne. Pretty amazing how high those guys were up there, never seen that in the three UT games or a UK/Bama game I went to a few years back that I was that close to the floor. Ogivly just doesn't look very good at all. Maybe it was just a bad game and I know he was getting another defender fly at him the occasional time he actually got post position enough to receive the ball. He just didn't look tough enough or work hard enough to get open for the ball. Gotta give Williams and Chism a lot of credit for that. Taylor was too timid last night and looked nervous. He is too talented to not be more aggressive. For Tennessee, not that we didn't already know this, but Tyler Smith is clearly the most talented player out there on the floor last night even though he really didn't have a great game. Tyler is the only player Pearl didn't go livid on last night and I think its like that pretty much every game.Tennessee's length and jumping ability as a team were very impressive. Interior passing and patience were both outstanding and the reason they shot 50% against one of the better defenses in the conference. All and all I thought Tennessee played really well and had numerous opportunities to knock Vandy out earlier in the game than they did, and at the same when UT didn't extend the lead to mid teens Vandy had numerous opportunities to come closer than 8 as well and didn't because of how poorly they played. Big win for the Vols. 2-0 on the road in conference is huge.

VandyChuck
01-21-2009, 02:09 PM
Agree with pretty much everything you said...but I was there too, and Chism CLEARLY, whether he said anything or not, taunted our bench with his actions after that play. He looked over there a little too long and ripped off his headband.

And yes AJ is playing weak, but in his defense, he's playing with a bad wheel. I hope it gets better cause we won't win another conference game without him. He WAS actually open a few times (I say 'open', meaning he had a single man on him with decent position on the block), but for some reason, we were hesitant to pass it to him. Perhaps it's because of the 10 turnovers a game we commit trying to force him the ball.

VandyChuck
01-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Here's a pic of the Chism incident. He's looking right at our bench and had just yanked his headband off.

http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1087/748667.jpg

At that point I was yelling "Put your yamicka back on, Wayne"

Vandy420
01-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Pretty much agree overall. You could tell Chism said something toward the vandy bench when he got the T, but couldn't really make out what. The ref was right there so if anyone heard it, it was the ref, and he was very quick to T chism up. Basically Chism just needs to quit all the talking and play his game, but most of the UT players have that in your face run their mouth attitude about them. Prince is probably the worst, with Chism right there. There is a difference between getting fired up, and going too far.

Other than the T though, there were only a couple times, at least that you could see on TV, that a UT player was shown running his mouth. I think it was really only Prince that was shown running his mouth alot other than the T. So less than usual from UT.

They definitly have the street ball thug life look to them though haha. Bobby Maze reminds me of Alan Iverson with his appearance. But haven't seen any of the attitude Iverson has.

Rocky@theTop
01-21-2009, 02:18 PM
Where was all this aggression when Matt Freige, Shan Foster, & Mario "crack head" Moore were playing with emotion? I haven't seen Vandy fans this up and arms since Joakim Noah last played in Memorial.

orange&white
01-21-2009, 02:49 PM
Pretty much agree overall. You could tell Chism said something toward the vandy bench when he got the T, but couldn't really make out what. The ref was right there so if anyone heard it, it was the ref, and he was very quick to T chism up. Basically Chism just needs to quit all the talking and play his game, but most of the UT players have that in your face run their mouth attitude about them. Prince is probably the worst, with Chism right there. There is a difference between getting fired up, and going too far.

Other than the T though, there were only a couple times, at least that you could see on TV, that a UT player was shown running his mouth. I think it was really only Prince that was shown running his mouth alot other than the T. So less than usual from UT.

They definitly have the street ball thug life look to them though haha. Bobby Maze reminds me of Alan Iverson with his appearance. But haven't seen any of the attitude Iverson has.

Prince is the only UT player that ever talks. Chism is usually doing all in good fun. Tcheigang, sp?, was also talking for Vandy and he definitely got Tyler Smith fired up in the second half when he fouled Tyler and Tyler reached out his hand to say nice play and Tcheigang wouldn't respond to it. Tyler eyes flipped a switch and he got pissed off and immediately scored 3 buckets on Tcheigang in the next few minutes. Stuff like that happens every game, everywhere in the country. None of it is really a big deal.

VandyChuck
01-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Prince is the only UT player that ever talks. Chism is usually doing all in good fun. Tcheigang, sp?, was also talking for Vandy and he definitely got Tyler Smith fired up in the second half when he fouled Tyler and Tyler reached out his hand to say nice play and Tcheigang wouldn't respond to it. Tyler eyes flipped a switch and he got pissed off and immediately scored 3 buckets on Tcheigang in the next few minutes. Stuff like that happens every game, everywhere in the country. None of it is really a big deal.

You must have missed the part before the foul where Tyler was "injured" or something and proceeded to stumble around for a good 5 seconds dragging Steve T with him. Steve's ensuing reaction was certainly a foul, but Smith's little stumbling act was pretty bush league.

VandyChuck
01-21-2009, 02:55 PM
Where was all this aggression when Matt Freige, Shan Foster, & Mario "crack head" Moore were playing with emotion? I haven't seen Vandy fans this up and arms since Joakim Noah last played in Memorial.

I can remember ONE TIME where Freije taunted an opposing player (Tre Kelley). The others, I have no idea. Don't confuse waving your arms at your home crowd to get them fired up with taunting opposing players.

You may have had a point if you'd said Corey Smith, but he was never the instigator...He was always baited (three prime examples being Balkman, Matt Walsh, Brandon Chump)

Rocky@theTop
01-21-2009, 03:01 PM
This is the best thread ever!

Vandy420
01-21-2009, 03:08 PM
IT's not that big of a deal, and I think your thinking I am upset about it or saying they were really bad, when I'm not. Like I said in my previous post other than the T and a couple times with Prince there wasn't as much "talk" as usual. I don't count playing with emotion the same as talking trash or being a punk. It wasn't too bad.

And Chuck is right, Smith did kind of drag Tchiengang with him as he was stumbling over him, and it probably should have been called, but Steve got called when he bumped smith back. I saw Smith turn real serious and try to stare ST down with the evil look haha. Tchiengang didn't look to impressed. But I do recall that instance.

I was actually giving UT props for not being as mouthy as usual. Usually it is most the team, this game it seemed to be only a couple players (Chism, Prince)

And I can remember only a few times that Freije and Moore was mouthy towards the other team, it usually was against UT and they were responding to the UT players. But to say Shan Foster? Come on man are you serious? I don't ever remember him saying anything to any opposing player. He would get the home crowd riled up but thats it. He never mouthed off to the opposing players or fans. Seems your stretching quite a bit on that oen rocky.

VandyChuck
01-21-2009, 03:15 PM
I think it would be funny to hear Steve T talk trash. He's got kind of a french accent.

"Parlez vous my foot up your @ss, Monsieur Smith"

orange&white
01-21-2009, 03:17 PM
IT's not that big of a deal, and I think your thinking I am upset about it or saying they were really bad, when I'm not. Like I said in my previous post other than the T and a couple times with Prince there wasn't as much "talk" as usual. I don't count playing with emotion the same as talking trash or being a punk. It wasn't too bad.

And Chuck is right, Smith did kind of drag Tchiengang with him as he was stumbling over him, and it probably should have been called, but Steve got called when he bumped smith back. I saw Smith turn real serious and try to stare ST down with the evil look haha. Tchiengang didn't look to impressed. But I do recall that instance.

I was actually giving UT props for not being as mouthy as usual. Usually it is most the team, this game it seemed to be only a couple players (Chism, Prince)

And I can remember only a few times that Freije and Moore was mouthy towards the other team, it usually was against UT and they were responding to the UT players. But to say Shan Foster? Come on man are you serious? I don't ever remember him saying anything to any opposing player. He would get the home crowd riled up but thats it. He never mouthed off to the opposing players or fans. Seems your stretching quite a bit on that oen rocky.

Yeah Chris Lofton, Dane Bradshaw, CJ Watson, and Ramar Smith were really know for talking. I think your confusing people (Crews last year, Chism) that play with emotion as people as some one that talks like Prince or JuJuan Smith does. Chism does not talk trash hardly ever.

VandyChuck
01-21-2009, 03:17 PM

I recall Dan Langhi finishing off UT one year with a dunk and yelling "TAKE THAT YOU M'FERS!!" He sat out the first half of the next game for that outburst. Pearl would never do that! Langhi was was kind of a thug. Danimal could get mean sometimes.

VandyChuck
01-21-2009, 03:19 PM
Yeah Chris Lofton, Dane Bradshaw, CJ Watson, and Ramar Smith were really know for talking. I think your confusing people (Crews last year, Chism) that play with emotion as people as some one that talks like Prince or JuJuan Smith does. Chism does not talk trash hardly ever.

I think he's referring to the Jerry Green years (Tony Harris and company), and you have to admit he has a point. And you have a point about the classy UT players you mentioned (except maybe Ramar Smith, but maybe I had the wrong impression about him.)

Rocky@theTop
01-21-2009, 03:31 PM
I recall Dan Langhi finishing off UT one year with a dunk and yelling "TAKE THAT YOU M'FERS!!" He sat out the first half of the next game for that outburst. Pearl would never do that! Langhi was was kind of a thug. Danimal could get mean sometimes.

Surely you're not questioning Pearl's discipline???

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/_photos/2007/02/13/tenn.jpg

http://media.scout.com/media/image/40/406536.jpg

VandyChuck
01-21-2009, 03:32 PM
His discipline regarding on court antics...yes.

orange&white
01-21-2009, 03:32 PM
I think he's referring to the Jerry Green years (Tony Harris and company), and you have to admit he has a point. And you have a point about the classy UT players you mentioned (except maybe Ramar Smith, but maybe I had the wrong impression about him.)
Ramar got kicked off the team for smoking weed, but never talked period much less talked smack on the court. I thought he was just talking about under Pearl's regime. Green is to blame for actions of the player's under him imo. Worst disciplanarian ever. Here is a couple articles that show to me how different and much better those teams could have been under someone like Pearl.

http://thebruceballblog.com/blog/?p=201

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2008/jun/03/there-life-after-basketball-tony-harris/

Vandy420
01-21-2009, 03:46 PM
I have seen players like Chism, crews, Jejuan and ramar smith all talk at Vandy-UT games, along with other UT players, and Vandy players, but really I expect these games to be heated. But there are some that talk back and forth in good fun, and those that take it to an extreme. It's all part of the game though. I don't necessarily like it all the time, but I'm not gonna act like Vandy players have never or will never do it.

If it gets a T or causes trouble in the game It has crossed the line. Also, any reaction or talk directed towards the fans/students is over the line. If you are a D-1 player you should have enough control over yourself not to get involved with the fans/students. Noah was terrible at that as I have personally had interaction with him while playing in memorial. Iused to sit 2 rows behind the visitors bench and have gotten a couple hand gestures and comments from noah during timeouts. haha But I can't say i didn't provoke him, I know corey brewer so my comments directed at him just drew a laugh and smile. He is a perfect example of how a college athlete SHOULD act.

But like I said this UT team doesn't seem to be as out spoken or vocal as past teams. I actually expected Tyler Smith to be mouthy but he is not from what I saw. I am very impressed with him and his attitude, even if he looks like an ex-con haha.

Rocky@theTop
01-21-2009, 03:58 PM
Well I know Vandy and some of it's fans think they are holier than thou, but this Tennessee's and Vandy's arch-rival game. Do any of you think UNC/Duke, UK/UL, UF/FSU, UGA/GT, USC/CU, UM/MSU, UT/OU, OSU/UM, etc. is a civil game between player, fans, & coaches?

Vandy420
01-21-2009, 04:13 PM
Thats what I was getting at, some is to be expected. Obviously Chism said something to get T'd up, but really other than that there wasn't too much extra stuff going on.

GoBigO
01-21-2009, 05:02 PM
I actually expected Tyler Smith to be mouthy but he is not from what I saw. I am very impressed with him and his attitude, even if he looks like an ex-con haha.

Kinda like how people see you as a rib-eatin' gang-banger? ;)

http://vmedia.rivals.com/UserMedia/FanPagesPhoto/489/T1420989_1.jpg

:rotf:

Vandy420
01-22-2009, 08:36 AM
Kinda like how people see you as a rib-eatin' gang-banger? ;)

http://vmedia.rivals.com/UserMedia/FanPagesPhoto/489/T1420989_1.jpg

:rotf:

Nice haha

Like I said I was wrong about him. But you gotta admit he does look like he belongs in a cash money video.