Some Tide hoop boosters dream of Tubby [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Some Tide hoop boosters dream of Tubby

UA37
01-16-2009, 09:39 AM
Some Tide hoop boosters dream of Tubby
Friday, January 16, 2009
There are different ways to change coaches.

If you're searching for one of the bluebloods in the profession, it's wise to follow a time-honored blueprint.

Identify a proven winner.

Gauge his interest through back channels.

When the time is right, make him an offer he can't refuse.

Call it the Saban Model.

Nick Saban wasn't the first coach to get hired that way, but that approach worked so well for Alabama in football, some influential supporters would like to see the school follow the same path in basketball.

Behind the scenes, according to people familiar with the discussions, those supporters have talked about which coach Alabama should pursue should AD Mal Moore decide to pull the plug on Mark Gottfried.

Their preferred target: Tubby Smith.

Yes. That Tubby Smith.

The coach who's already proved himself in the SEC at Georgia and Kentucky by, among a long list of highlights, winning a national title at Kentucky.

The coach who, in his second year at Minnesota, had the Gophers off to their best start in 32 years at 15-1 heading into Thursday night's game at Wisconsin.

Some disclaimers are in order here.

We don't know if anyone connected to Alabama has tried to reach out to anyone connected to Smith.

We do know, from media reports at the time, that the Minnesota AD first spoke to Smith's agent, Ricky Lefft, six weeks before Minnesota hired Smith away from Kentucky in March of 2007.

We don't know if Smith would be interested in leaving Minnesota after two years to return to the SEC to coach at a third school in the conference.

We do know that Smith left Georgia after two years to take the Kentucky job.

We don't know when Moore will decide Gottfried's future, but two games into SEC play isn't the time.

We do know, from multiple sources, that Gottfried's support - from rank-and-file fans to boosters - has been leaking for some time, and he suffered back-to-back body blows the last two days.

Playing without Ronald Steele and his injured heel, Alabama lost Wednesday night at Mississippi State to fall to 11-5 overall and 1-1 in the league. It was Alabama's fifth straight loss to State and its 13th consecutive defeat in an SEC road game.

The Crimson Tide has too proud a tradition in basketball to continue to serve as road kill.

The next day, in another cruel twist for a quality young man who deserves better, Steele was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis in his foot. He's been declared out indefinitely.

Now comes a trip to Auburn for a Saturday matinee opportunity to stop the bleeding in basketball's version of the Iron Bowl.

Alabama has lost three of its last four games against Auburn, with two straight defeats in Beard-Eaves-Memorial Coliseum, and this is an Auburn program with a head coach in Jeff Lebo whose own future is far from certain.

Lose Saturday, and Gottfried's record against Auburn will fall to 11-11.

There's still time for Alabama to make something of this season, but it may take something spectacular to convince Moore and his superiors that it's not time for a change.

If and when that time comes, Alabama will have a chance to tell the world just how much it cares about basketball. Making a run at the likes of Tubby Smith would be a powerful statement.

The very idea sounds crazy now, maybe crazier than chasing Saban sounded when that plan was first revealed in this space, because Alabama basketball isn't Alabama football.

One question, though. Shouldn't it try to be?

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/kscarbinsky.ssf?/base/sports/1232097347140780.xml&coll=2&thispage=3

bamaphan
01-16-2009, 09:45 AM
No doubt CMG is gone. He has good things for the program. Some of the hate from the fanbase is unjustified.

I would love to see Tubby at Alabama.

UA37
01-16-2009, 09:47 AM
I would be ecstatic to get Tubby. He's one of my favorite coaches to watch and he would make Bama basketball legitimate from day one just like Saban did for football. I'm sure it's just a pipe dream. Even if it wasn't, I imagine, UGA would have a better shot at him than Bama.

steelyvan
01-16-2009, 10:11 AM
it's 20 degrees BELOW zero in Mintesooota this week. that alone would convince me to move on. i'm happy for CTS with his latest success in the B10.

kentubbybasketball
01-16-2009, 12:45 PM
Did anybody else see the Minnesota @ Wisconsin game last night. Wisconsin had lost only 4 times in 8 years to Big Ten schools at home... well Tubby goes in there and gets a win last night.

We were down 10 with 4 minutes left and down 7 in the final minute... Tubby still forces OT and gets the win on the road, with his point guard fouling out.

Here is the very reason why Tubby is the best coach in the nation: nobody is better at making adjustments on the fly. What we were doing to Wisconsin wasn't working, so Tubby takes out his 4 and 5, moves his 3 (Paul Carter) down to the 5 and goes with an extremely small lineup. Tubby uses the vaunted Tubby press and we win the game. It's almost a wonder we didn't use the press more at Kentucky, although, Tubby's man to man defense did produce it's own brand of suffocating defense.

I'm sorry but Tubby is 16-1 right now, and you can't argue with that. I'd hate to have Tubby back in this league though. Minnesota (my birthplace) is the perfect place for him. The Big Ten fits his style--defense! Plus, we have the Big Ten's best recruiting class on tap for next year. Additionally, I get to watch all of the Minnesota games every week! I love it.

When you've won more SEC divisional titles (7 East titles) than anybody else in history and a national championship in the league... what more is there for you to do in the SEC?

Tubby and Donna love Minneapolis by the way. Tubby wants to settle down and finish his career at Minnesota... if Tubby were to leave for a job, I'd speculate it would be Maryland.

I do understand why somebody would check to see if Tubby is interested... I mean, he wins a lot and he does it with straight class.

I gotta pinch myself when I think about how lucky I am to get to root on Billy Gillispie and Tubby Smith.

UA37
01-16-2009, 01:21 PM
There have been rumors going around that a big name coach is perhaps interested in coming to Bama. I've read someone specificaly mention Tubby. I'm not sure how legit message board rumors are tho...

Rocky@theTop
01-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Does Bama have the facilities already in place to lure a big name coach?

Dawg
01-16-2009, 01:59 PM
As a major rival of Alabama basketball, I sincerely hope Tubby does not come to Tuscaloosa.

UA37
01-16-2009, 02:07 PM

No... If its top of the line facilities that they want, they won't be going to Bama. We can offer a lots of cash tho and we have a roster that can win right away. It's also a school that you can win at and recruit too.

kentubbybasketball
01-16-2009, 02:34 PM

Well, you gotta realize, Tubby went to Minnesota and Minnesota plays in the fifth oldest arena in the nation. Not to mention, Minnesota is the only team in the Big Ten without a practice facility or without plans to build one in the forseeable future, so facilities might not be that big of a deal for Tubby in terms of making a move... however, Tubby has been on our AD, Joel Maturi, about getting a practice facility up there in Minnesota.

kentubbybasketball
01-16-2009, 02:35 PM
What I find interesting about this Tubby to Bama speculation is that, while TUbby was at UK, do you know the one school that had the best winning percentage against him?

Bama... they won half of the games Tubby coached agains them. Interesting.

Dawg
01-16-2009, 05:32 PM
we have a roster that can win right away.

Not next year, after Gee/Steele/Hollinger are gone (and likely Greene as well).

steelyvan
01-16-2009, 05:54 PM
Bama will deplete itself one way or another and rebuild.
you know a big name coach who may be interested that keeps getting whispered about?
The General, Robert Montgomery Knight, baby!!!!!

SkyAntoine
01-16-2009, 07:27 PM
I prefer Tubby to stay out of the SEC. It keeps down animosity between pro-Tubby and non-pro-Tubby UK fans. Playing Bama with TS would kindle the flames too much for us.

thethird
01-16-2009, 08:24 PM
So let's say CMG gets the axe and Tubby is interviewed for the job(good possibility). Say Bama chooses to hire someone else other then Tubby(good possibility). Do we assume Bama is racist like Auburn because they won't hire a black coach? Should we ask Charles Barkley?

Texaubie
01-17-2009, 02:46 AM
So let's say CMG gets the axe and Tubby is interviewed for the job(good possibility). Say Bama chooses to hire someone else other then Tubby(good possibility). Do we assume Bama is racist like Auburn because they won't hire a black coach? Should we ask Charles Barkley?

Considering the way the media has been lately with this subject I think they will only interview a African-American if they are 100% they are going to offer the job. This way the decline will come from the individual and not the university. I would not blame them one bit for going that route.

Unfortunately the negative media backlash for interviewing but not hiring among southern schools makes anything but the above a possible PR nightmare.

UA37
01-17-2009, 07:48 AM
Not next year, after Gee/Steele/Hollinger are gone (and likely Greene as well).

LOL Where would Green go??? Green will be at Bama for 3 years. Assuming there is no extra attrition, which is probably a bad assumption, Bama will have plenty of talent to win next year. Our bigs will stay. We'll have a former juco AA running the point. Hillman may take his game to the all-sec level. It's really almost there already. We have a juco shooter coming in. Torrance will finally get his chance as a senior. His 18 points against MSU shows he knows how to score. Chris Hines and Tony Mitchell will also be big additions. Andrew Steele will be better with experience. He already does a lot of things well. The players will be there, especially if there is significant improvement from Hillman and Green.

OffThePorch
01-17-2009, 09:42 AM
after 5 in a row over BAMA i really think you should keep MG... lol...
Tubby would be a good hire because you know he can coach. id probably go younger.

Dawg
01-17-2009, 12:22 PM
LOL Where would Green go??? Green will be at Bama for 3 years. Assuming there is no extra attrition, which is probably a bad assumption, Bama will have plenty of talent to win next year. Our bigs will stay. We'll have a former juco AA running the point. Hillman may take his game to the all-sec level. It's really almost there already. We have a juco shooter coming in. Torrance will finally get his chance as a senior. His 18 points against MSU shows he knows how to score. Chris Hines and Tony Mitchell will also be big additions. Andrew Steele will be better with experience. He already does a lot of things well. The players will be there, especially if there is significant improvement from Hillman and Green.

You're such a homer...lol. When you lose three seniors like Gee/Steele/Hollinger, you're going to get set back. On top of that, I have connections and know that Greene is being scouted by the NBA by at least 1 or 2 scouts every game he is playing. He's gotten a lot of press, and I suspect he will be a one-and-done.

UA37
01-17-2009, 02:37 PM
You're such a homer...lol. When you lose three seniors like Gee/Steele/Hollinger, you're going to get set back. On top of that, I have connections and know that Greene is being scouted by the NBA by at least 1 or 2 scouts every game he is playing. He's gotten a lot of press, and I suspect he will be a one-and-done.

Green isn't going into the draft this year. That would be a stupid decision. The guy was a national honor society student. He's not going to make such a stupid decision.

We may be losing three seniors, but we'll still have 8 upper classmen. The roster is in good shape.

G Brock / Torrance / Payne
G Hillman/ Davis
G Steele/Mitchell/ Cage
F Knox/ Hines / Jemison
F Green/ Coleman / Kemp

Dawg
01-17-2009, 09:12 PM
We shall see.

kentubbybasketball
01-20-2009, 02:55 PM

That's a bit different situation. When you're most recognizable alumnus brings up the names of Mike Davis, Jeff Capel, etc. you might be better served hiring them than Jeff Lebo, knowing said alumnus' feelings on racial relations. Lebo, I don't believe has ever coached in the NCAAT... that was the major issue with Barkley... not the race. More accomplished coaches were passed over.