2009 Champions League First Knockout Round Pick'em [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Champions League First Knockout Round Pick'em

2008 National Champions
12-19-2008, 11:15 AM
For the first round we will pick who advances. First legs are played February 24-25, second leg March 10-11:

Team listed second has second leg at home:

Chelsea v Juventus

Villereal v Panathinaikos

Sporting Lisbon v Bayern Munich

Atletico Madrid v Porto

Lyon v Barcelona

Real Madrid v Liverpool

Arsenal v AS Roma

Inter v Manchester United

2008 National Champions
12-19-2008, 11:16 AM
Juventus

Villareal

Bayern Munich

Atletico Madrid

Barcelona

Liverpool

Arsenal

Manchester United

Nkemdiche4Heisman5
12-19-2008, 11:21 AM
Juventus

Villareal

Bayern Munich

Atletico Madrid

Barcelona

Liverpool

Arsenal

Manchester United

2008 National Champions
12-19-2008, 11:23 AM
Can we get someone to sticky this?

Vandy420
12-19-2008, 12:19 PM
Chelsea

Villereal

Bayern Munich

Atletico Madrid

Barcelona

Liverpool

Arsenal

Manchester United

gatorchomp91
12-19-2008, 04:28 PM
Chelsea

Villereal

Bayern Munich

Porto

Barcelona

Liverpool

AS Roma

Manchester United

dnmuga93
12-19-2008, 06:04 PM
Too damn early to make picks. I want to see what happens in the January transfer window to see if any teams get players who aren't cup-tied. Plus, form today don't equal form in late february.

2008 National Champions
12-19-2008, 06:15 PM
Too damn early to make picks. I want to see what happens in the January transfer window to see if any teams get players who aren't cup-tied. Plus, form today don't equal form in late february.

That's true. I should have mentioned that if you do make them today or whatever you can change them later.

I watched Juventus play Milan they other night and they looked really good, winning 4-2 at Olympico. I think they can go deep into this tournament. Their fixture with Chelsea might be the best of the first round.

SECgamecock453
12-19-2008, 09:42 PM
Chelsea

Villereal

Bayern Munich

Atletico Madrid

Barcelona

Liverpool

Arsenal

Manchester United

SECgamecock453
12-19-2008, 09:43 PM
Juventus

Villareal

Bayern Munich

Atletico Madrid

Barcelona

Liverpool

AS Roma

Manchester United

You and your Italian teams....

SCfan804
12-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Chelsea v Juventus

Atletico Madrid v Porto

Lyon v Barcelona

Real Madrid v Liverpool

Arsenal v AS Roma

These are my initial picks and I'll probably be changing them this time next month. I'm just putting them in now so I don't forget. As it stands now, Madrid is banged up which gives the edge to Liverpool. However, if they get healthy and acquire another midfielder in the transfer window (which I expect them to do), I think they could be the better team.

Chelsea/Juve and Inter/ManU are also fantastic first round fixtures.... CR7 has not hit full stride yet, but I think by February he'll be the menace he was last year.

dnmuga93
12-21-2008, 09:40 PM
Chelsea v Juventus

Atletico Madrid v Porto

Lyon v Barcelona

Real Madrid v Liverpool

Arsenal v AS Roma

These are my initial picks and I'll probably be changing them this time next month. I'm just putting them in now so I don't forget. As it stands now, Madrid is banged up which gives the edge to Liverpool. However, if they get healthy and acquire another midfielder in the transfer window (which I expect them to do), I think they could be the better team.

Chelsea/Juve and Inter/ManU are also fantastic first round fixtures.... CR7 has not hit full stride yet, but I think by February he'll be the menace he was last year.

Madrid have agreements in place to acquire both Huntelaar (from Ajax Amsterdam) and Diarra (from Portsmouth), neither of whom are cup-tied. Diarra is a defensive midfielder, so he may be the key transfer pick up for them. They WAY overpaid for him (22 million euros).

SCfan804
12-21-2008, 10:49 PM
Madrid have agreements in place to acquire both Huntelaar (from Ajax Amsterdam) and Diarra (from Portsmouth), neither of whom are cup-tied. Diarra is a defensive midfielder, so he may be the key transfer pick up for them. They WAY overpaid for him (22 million euros).

Madrid overpaying??? Next thing you'll tell me the Yankees are up to the same shenanigans... :sarcasm:

I still laugh when I think of the Madrid team a few years back... Raul, Zidane, Figo, Cambiasso, Casillas, Roberto Carlos... but oh yeah they forgot to buy ANY sort of defense (and Roberto Carlos wasn't much of true defender)! So in the transfer window they buy David Beckham?? Lulz.

Madrid plays a very good attacking brand of futbol, but if they ever want to win the Champions League again they're going to need to get their hands on a true defensive minded mid-fielder like you said.

2008 National Champions
12-22-2008, 02:41 PM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=604611&sec=uefachampionsleague&cc=5901

Vidic is facing at least a one match ban, so he will miss at least the first leg on the Champions league match at Inter. He may be banned as many as three matches.

2008 National Champions
02-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Real will not be able to get Klaas Jan Huntelaar and Lassana Diara onto their roster for the knockout stage after UEFA ruled against their inclusion to the squad.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=609165&sec=uefachampionsleague&cc=5901

Also, United's strong center back Vidic will have to miss just one game after being sent off in the finals of the Club World Cup.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=614344&sec=uefachampionsleague&cc=5901

SCfan804
02-09-2009, 05:25 PM
I still like my picks for the most part. 1 of them has me nervous and will probably be changed very shortly.

2008 National Champions
02-09-2009, 05:51 PM
I still like my picks for the most part. 1 of them has me nervous and will probably be changed very shortly.

I'm happy with everything expect I'm stumped on Juventus - Chelsea and I will probably change Arsenal - Roma and take Arsenal to advance.

SCfan804
02-09-2009, 06:02 PM
Yeah Juve/Chelsea is who I was referring to. Scolari just got the boot, and it's usually not wise to pick a team in that situation. Juve haven't been awe-inspiring, but they have GiGi...

2008 National Champions
02-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Yeah Juve/Chelsea is who I was referring to. Scolari just got the boot, and it's usually not wise to pick a team in that situation. Juve haven't been awe-inspiring, but they have GiGi...

If Juventus can field their full team they can play with just about anyone. I'd be happy if they put together a 1-1 draw in England and grab that away goal heading into the second leg.

But Chelsea has so many class players...

2008 National Champions
02-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Four days until the first knockout round kicks off. Make sure you got your picks in.

That Inter - United tie looks epic right now.

dnmuga93
02-20-2009, 09:00 PM
Juventus
Villareal
Bayern Munich
Porto
Real Madrid
Arsenal
Barcelona
Manchester United

2008 National Champions
02-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Matches start tomorrow.

SCfan804
02-23-2009, 05:24 PM
Made some edits on my picks...

2008 National Champions
02-23-2009, 08:12 PM
United will be without Vidic (suspended) and Jonny Evans (injury). O'Shea has a heel injury and also might not play. United might be forced to play Michael Carrick as a CB.

Does not bode well when facing Ibrahimovic.

However I still think United will get the away goal and end up advancing. It should be an excellent match from San Siro.

2008 National Champions
02-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Serie A leaders Inter v Premier leaders United will be televised at 2:30pm Tuesday on ESPN2.

Lyon v Barca will be televised at the same time on ESPN Deportes.

2008 National Champions
02-23-2009, 08:29 PM
I'm going to lock the thread a couple mins before kickoff and I will open it back up when the matches are over.

Only the picks for the following games are due before kickoff tomorrow

Internazionale v Manchester United
Arsenal v AS Roma
Lyon v Barcelona
Atlético Madrid v FC Porto

2008 National Champions
02-24-2009, 12:03 PM
I'm going to lock this thread at 2pm EST.

2008 National Champions
02-24-2009, 03:44 PM
thread open again.

let me know ifyou guys make any changes for the last four fictures which play tomorrow. I printed out everyones picks at 2pm just before today's matches started. I need to know if you make any changes so I can change it on the printout.

2008 National Champions
02-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Today's final scores:

Inter 0-0 United

Arsenal 1-0 AS Roma

Lyon 1-1 Barcelona

FC Porto 2-2 Atletico Madrid

2008 National Champions
02-25-2009, 09:07 AM
Again I will close the thread at 2pm. This is your last chance to change your picks for the last four fixtures. If you do make any changes to those four games, please post and let me know so I can note it on my printout.

Forza Juve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2008 National Champions
02-25-2009, 01:24 PM
Alright, I'm assuming there were no changes. Locking the thread.