Maradona wants to coach Argentina... [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Maradona wants to coach Argentina...

2008 National Champions
10-18-2008, 11:44 AM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=583023&sec=worldcup2010&cc=5901

Saturday, October 18, 2008
Maradona to lead Argentina to World Cup finals?

BUENOS AIRES, Oct 17 (Reuters) - Diego Maradona has revealed he would like to coach Argentina following the surprise resignation of Alfio Basile the previous day.

"I would be really delighted, who wouldn't, to coach the national team," he told the TyC Sports cable channel when asked if he would like a chance.

"I am completely willing and at the disposal of the Argentina team."

Maradona has appeared as a rank outsider in the race to replace Basile, with Miguel Angel Russo, Sergio Batista, Diego Simeone and Carlos Bianchi seen as favourites.

The former captain appears more likely to be given an assistant or advisory role, especially if Batista, his team mate in the 1986 World Cup-winning side, is given the job.

Jose Luis Brown, a defender in 1986 and coach of the under-17 side, may also be given a role in a Batista-led team.

"Batista and Brown have more experience than me," said Maradona, who had two brief stints as a coach in the early 1990s with provincial club Deportivo Mandiyu and then Racing Club.

Maradona said he was taken aback by Basile's resignation which followed a run of indifferent performances and results this year.

"I was surprised and I'm sorry about it. I think the situation could have been turned around," he said.

"You reach a moment when you don't get the results and the confidence drops. This means the team loses it's strongest points, which are it's passing, playing one-twos and enjoying the game."

Basile quit one day after Argentina lost 1-0 to Chile in a World Cup qualifier, their only defeat so far this year and their first against their neighbours since 1973.

2008 National Champions
10-29-2008, 01:13 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7696408.stm

Maradona claims he will be named the new coach of Argentina soon.

SCfan804
10-31-2008, 11:43 AM
This is asinine, imo. History has proven that great players don't necessarily make good coaches, and in Maradona's case he has so many constant problems with drugs, health, etc working against him as well. Methinks they're gonna regret this... then again with Messi, Riquelme, Tevez, etc it's like Larry Coker inheriting the 2001 Miami Hurricanes

2008 National Champions
04-01-2009, 06:50 PM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=230052&cc=5901

Bolivia 6 - Argentina 1

lol

This was with Argentina starting guys like Tevez, Messi, Rodriguez and Heinze....

Storm
04-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Salary requirements

25K, and all the blow he can snort

http://world.lib.ru/img/m/mishin_denis_andreewich/maradona2/diego_maradona.jpg

2008 National Champions
04-02-2009, 10:51 AM
Maradona: Bolivia goals a "stab in the heart"

Argentina were thumped 6-1 by Bolivia in a World Cup qualifier on Wednesday and shattered coach Diego Maradona said that each goal was like a stab in his heart. Paraguay scored in injury-time to draw 1-1 in Ecuador and stay top of the South American group while Brazil moved into second place after two goals from Luis Fabiano helped them to a straightforward 3-0 win at home to Peru.

http://soccernet-assets.espn.go.com/design05/images/jb2/maradone_ap275.jpg
Diego Maradona makes his feeling known in the post-match press conference. (AP)

Argentina forward Lionel Messi was upstaged by a player from the Mexican second division as Maradona's 100 percent record went up in smoke at 3,600 metres above sea level in La Paz.

Bolivia striker Joaquin Botero, who plays for a team called Correcaminos (Road Runners), scored a hat-trick and took his tally in the competition to eight goals.

Marcelo Martins, Alex Da Rosa and Didi Torrico were also on target for Bolivia as Argentina shipped six goals for the first time since they lost by the same score to Czechoslovakia at the 1958 World Cup.

Luis Gonzalez replied for Argentina, briefly putting them back on level terms in the 25th minute, before a Botero penalty and Alex Da Rosa header gave Bolivia a 3-1 halftime lead, Martins having opened the scoring the 12th minute.

Botero added two more in the second half and Torrico completed the rout.

"I suffered with them (the Argentine public)," Maradona told reporters, himself appearing short of breath. "Every Bolivia goal was a stab in my heart.

"If we had dreamed this was going to happen before the game, we would have thought it was impossible."

Before taking over as coach last October, Maradona had publicly backed Bolivia's campaign against a FIFA ban on high altitude matches, playing in a charity match in La Paz alongside the country's president Evo Morales.

The ban was later overturned.

Argentina slipped to fourth in the 10-team group with 19 points from 12 games, the lowest of the positions in which they can finish and qualify directly for South Africa in 2010.

Fifth place would mean a two-leg play off against the fourth side from the CONCACAF region.

Paraguay have 24 points while Brazil are three behind but only eight points separate them from eighth-placed Venezuela.

Sandwiched in between are Chile (20), Argentina, Uruguay (17) and Colombia and Ecuador (14).

Substitute Cristian Noboa headed Ecuador ahead against Paraguay in the 64th minute in Quito, which is 2,800 metres above sea level.

Ecuador's Edison Mendez hit the crossbar and Paraguay defender Paulo da Silva was sent off, yet the resilient visitors left with a point when Edgar Benitez volleyed home in the second minute of injury-time.

"It was a fair reward because we deserved to take something from here," said Paraguay coach Gerardo Martino, whose side are on course for a fourth successive World Cup.

Brazil had little trouble in overcoming demoralised, table-propping Peru in Porto Alegre.

Luis Fabiano put them ahead with an 18th minute penalty after a foul on Kaka and added another nine minutes later.

Midfielder Felipe Melo scored the third in the 64th minute of a hopelessly one-sided game.

Chile managed to hold Uruguay to a goalless draw at home in Santiago despite having midfielder Mauricio Isla sent off in the 34th minute.

Uruguay attacked throughout the second half, finishing the game with four strikers, but were unable to force the winner.

"I think we lost two points," said Uruguay coach Oscar Washington Tabarez.

SECgamecock453
04-02-2009, 10:55 AM
I hate Maradona and Argentina. Go Bolivia! HAHA.

rolling baby
04-03-2009, 04:51 PM
Its bad enough the Argentina will default on its foreign debt and that they have an idiot for a president. Things can't get worse when your futbol team fades into Bolivia.....

///2 cents to Mr. Mike Tyson.

2008 National Champions
04-03-2009, 05:54 PM
In Argentina's defense.... lol... that match was played in La Paz, that altitude must have been murder.

SECgamecock453
04-03-2009, 06:06 PM
I'm sure Argentina have played in Bolivia many times and this result has never happened. Definitely not an excuse for them.

2008 National Champions
04-03-2009, 06:09 PM
I'm sure Argentina have played in Bolivia many times and this result has never happened. Definitely not an excuse for them.

6-1 is a bit much, true.

But there was a movement a little while ago to stop Bolivia from playing it's matches in La Paz due to the altitude giving them an unfair advantage, so there must be something to it.

To his credit, Maradona spoke out against the altitude ban.