USA men done [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : USA men done

Texaubie
08-13-2008, 08:46 AM
Didn't see the game myself. Though from reading and reports a very harsh card was given 3 minutes in to the US and forced us to play 10 for the entire game. Didn't help considering players we already had serving suspension.
http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_8945664.html

bamaphan
08-13-2008, 09:03 AM
The card was just stupid and deserved. I turned it off at that point and went back to sleep. We just flat out screwed the pooch. We showed were were able to compete but had too many silly mistakes that got us sent home early. It was US International Soccer in a nut shell.

MKAU
08-13-2008, 10:07 AM
I cut the TV on just as he was getting carded. Stupid play by that guy, and I hope he shoulders that loss entirely on himself because I feel if he doesn't get tossed then the US at least ties, if not wins. I cut the TV off after the 2nd goal. Even a man down they were creating possibilities during the 2nd half, but not enough to make up two goals in 15 minutes.

Texaubie
08-13-2008, 10:14 AM
Ah, I had read the coaches comment he made about it being a red.

MKAU
08-13-2008, 10:24 AM
Ah, I had read the coaches comment he made about it being a red.An elbow to the face when you aren't even trying to get the ball will get you a red every time? Correct? It might have been a soft elbow but Orozco was just trying to be a bully.

fodive
08-13-2008, 01:39 PM
twats...stupid cards cost them this, a shame.

GR8NESS
08-13-2008, 01:45 PM
typical.

fodive
08-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Adu got a stupid and immature card in the first match that came back to haunt us too...stupid.

Texaubie
08-13-2008, 02:12 PM
An elbow to the face when you aren't even trying to get the ball will get you a red every time? Correct? It might have been a soft elbow but Orozco was just trying to be a bully.

Wow, I just saw the play (can view entire game on NBC.com). Replay camera is right at the infraction. That was definitely not deserving of a red. Yellow at the most.

It wasn't to the face it was to the chest. The Nigerian player was all over his back for the duration of the play holding and initiating contact, then after the play still holding some and raked Orozco's face to which he gave him a quick jab to the chest, he didn't even pull it forward to generate power on it.

Course the Nigerian does what they all do now and goes down and embellishes it. Giving reds for that kind of stuff is exactly why players dive all over the place now, this "cracking down" as FIFA calls it since 02 Cup has done nothing but encouraged diving.

Definitely not being a bully, he was just asserting himself in a situation where both players were going physically at each other. That guy he bowed I believe is also the same guy that followed through a bike he could of pulled off of, knowing well that any connection with the ball would result in connection with Orozco's face.... which it did.

Another case of FIFA refs going to the extreme and being inconsistent with what they consider a major booking foul.

If I was in that spot I'd given him the bow to.

If I was the ref I would of let play go on, if the Nigerian would of complained then I would have told him to separate cleanly and quicker once the ball has moved.

Texaubie
08-13-2008, 02:41 PM
Oh, and the reason I say inconsistent is cause if you could isolate play away from the ball in these games is you are going to see that same elbow thrown in multiple separation situations such as set pieces like corners, other tie ups, and in jersey tugging.

Lol but hell, I grew up playing Mexican club teams from South Texas and Mexico itself, they would push you around if you didn't assert yourself with some elbows and "missed tackles". Course this back when cards were rare and wiping a guy on a break-away from behind with no intent to play the ball got you a yellow at the most.

MKAU
08-13-2008, 02:56 PM
Well that's what I get for listening to Marcello Balboa. It was 4:05 in the morning and I had been up for all of 2 minutes after 4 hours sleep. I didn't actually see it, but Orozco was walking off the field when I cut the TV on. I was just going on what it sounded like Balboa was getting at. My bad.

Texaubie
08-13-2008, 04:37 PM
Well that's what I get for listening to Marcello Balboa. It was 4:05 in the morning and I had been up for all of 2 minutes after 4 hours sleep. I didn't actually see it, but Orozco was walking off the field when I cut the TV on. I was just going on what it sounded like Balboa was getting at. My bad.

Can't hear the announcers on the replay. Balboa say he deserved it? That surprises me as he played before they started carding left and right.

Check out NBC.com, they have a section where you can stream the events of last night. Easy to find it 3 minutes in.

Thats just my take on the situation. Nigerian was on his back, didn't wanna release clean, and got a quick jab cause of it.

I'll see if i can find his opinion on it.

Here ya go man, go down to USA/Netherlands and click rewind (might have to DL a plug in but takes like one minute), then on the bottom right it says navigation, click that then scroll down to where you see in print red card Oz... will take you to the 2:25 mark of the game.
http://www.nbcolympics.com/soccer/index.html?forcereload=true

MKAU
08-13-2008, 11:47 PM
Ok yeah, that was pretty weak. Especially considering the same guy Orozco supposedly fouled made a really dangerous play involving his foot nearly taking out some of Orozco's teeth exactly one minute earlier in play.

SECgamecock453
08-15-2008, 10:27 PM
Didn't see it, but it doesn't surprise me that we lost when we needed to win the most. And it all comes back down to that goal we gave up vs the Netherlands in the 90+3rd minute. Wow, if we didn't let that happen, we'd be through (not like I would want to see that train wreck anyway). We would have gotten CIV or ARG right? Seems like we can't be African teams. Ghana in WC 2006 and now this.

GR8NESS
08-15-2008, 10:53 PM
Can't beat African teams, we can't beat European teams...

Thank God we play in CONCACAF!

fodive
08-18-2008, 07:58 PM
...but if we keep beating Mexico in the World Cup, I'm a happy camper.