US MNT Kicks Off Tonight... [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : US MNT Kicks Off Tonight...

fodive
08-06-2008, 08:15 PM
5a E/2a P on MSNBC playing Japan.

Anyone going to watch? I'll probably try and stay up and watch it since it starts at two here, and frankly I've got nothing better to do right now. Should be a fun one.:)

SECgamecock453
08-06-2008, 08:18 PM
I'd love to, but no way I'm waking up at 5 AM. I've had to work 8:30-5:00 the last three days and tomorrow I finally don't have to go in until 12:30, so I'm going to enjoy the extra sleep.

GR8NESS
08-06-2008, 08:22 PM
Damn school.

MKAU
08-06-2008, 09:01 PM
4 AM huh? Well I did pull 40 hours on 1 hour of sleep a couple weekends ago, but I'm not doing it now.

SECgamecock453
08-07-2008, 09:05 AM
Is the game going to be re-aired at a more reasonable time? I just looked at the score on ESPN and was about to post it but I didn't want to spoil the game for anyone.

bamaphan
08-07-2008, 09:17 AM
the holland game starts @ 5:45 am on sunday morning

fodive
08-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Well the US was incredibly lucky, and generally looked like crap. And if I had to hear one more thing about how great Brian McBride was by Marcello Balboa I was going to shoot someone...

MKAU
08-10-2008, 09:14 AM
US dominated most of the game this morning, but choked in the last minute and gave up the tieing goal.

They started out slow and sloppy giving up the lead midway through the first half. Shortly after that they gained composure, became the aggressors, and in the second half they got a couple through. Then they got a little sloppy again in the process of trying to waste time and it cost them in the end. All they got out of it was a 2-2 draw. Still, a draw against the Dutch is a positive result in pool play.

- Freddy Adu is amazing. Sometimes I wonder why he passes because it seams like he has the ball sewn to his foot and can run circles around defenders. If he can ever start finishing he can/will be a beast for the national team.

- Who is Marval Wynn? I've never heard of that guy, but he played well.

- Josy Altidore played the role of supersub. He got a goal but didn't do anything to get it except stand in the right place at the right time, but he caused big problems for the Dutch.

- Guzan was solid overall. The first goal got by him only because he was still down on the ground from an outstanding save. The rebound just bounced right back to the Dutchman who had an easy shot then.

fodive
08-10-2008, 09:28 AM
All they need now is a draw vs Nigeria to advance...

gatorchomp91
08-10-2008, 12:44 PM
I got up and watched most of the match this morning. We are incredibly unlucky.

Texaubie
08-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Our left side looked really soft early on. Holden and Adu are both out for the next match which is gonna hurt.

Final goal was unlucky, the wall did what it was suppose to do and jumped, ball just got under them enough.

gatorchomp91
08-10-2008, 04:14 PM
Our left side looked really soft early on. Holden and Adu are both out for the next match which is gonna hurt.

Final goal was unlucky, the wall did what it was suppose to do and jumped, ball just got under them enough.

Hmmm... I play high school soccer and I've always been taught to not jump when you're in the wall. It probably depends on the coach.

Texaubie
08-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Hmmm... I play high school soccer and I've always been taught to not jump when you're in the wall. It probably depends on the coach.

Hard to find a collection of failed attempts lol. But you can see how many of these do jump and its all at the professional level.

Philosophy involves making wall side upper 90 a total ***** to bend (based on range). 1) You get high enough to block the ball on its ascent, or they go totally over top of the goal. 2) Keeper has opposite 90 covered and lower balls are easier for them to pounce than uppers.

Course problem is, least for this video, is Beckham is the best at beating walls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r3h5GP_wSA&feature=related

gatorchomp91
08-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I understand your point. At the high school level not many free kick takers have the ability to bend the ball like Beckham so you see a lot of driven shots on the ground. These shots go under the feet of the wall like we saw today. I understand both philosophies though.

Texaubie
08-10-2008, 05:11 PM
Yeah, I understand your point. At the high school level not many free kick takers have the ability to bend the ball like Beckham so you see a lot of driven shots on the ground. These shots go under the feet of the wall like we saw today. I understand both philosophies though.

Ya, lol why the video has issues, I was just looking for a collection to show the wall.

Philosophy makes total sense at the HS level, cause like you said most aren't skilled enough to do that. Most will sail it and not get the dive, gotta point them toes and jerk that knee.

We actually half jumped with a emphasis on keeping toes pointed toward the ground, as with the speed of the shot most players get some rise on the ball.. so we were low enough to deflect it, and then since most aren't that skilled at dipping high enough to get bodies in the way or force em to sail it.

We also changed with distances and angles (was it as shooting angle or a crossing angle).

Truthfully at the pro level its probably based off tendencies and strengths. They might jump for one player, stay low for another.