ESPN using Coldplay to generate more soccer interest. [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : ESPN using Coldplay to generate more soccer interest.

Storm
05-07-2008, 11:50 PM
Coldplaying Soccer on ESPN
Today 7:00 PM PDT

Michael Caulfield/WireImage.com
ESPN's going to try promoting at the speed of sound.

The 24/7 sports network has enlisted Coldplay in its ongoing efforts to promote soccer in the U.S., in particular its live coverage of next month's European Championship.

ESPN will use the British rockers' music in commercials teasing the tournament, taking place June 7-29 in Austria and Switzerland, and incorporate "Viva La Vida," the first single off of their upcoming album Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends, during in-studio and game production.

"This is the first time ESPN has created a global marketing campaign with a unified strategy, message and advertising campaign," ESPN senior director of sports marketing Seth Ader said Wednesday. "The campaign captures the passion for European soccer."

Sort of like how those Calvin Klein ads featuring a mostly bare David Beckham capture the passion for American underwear.

Well, ESPN can certainly hope it's like that.

What I read is

live coverage of next month's European Championship.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

HunkerDown
05-08-2008, 07:31 AM
They should use Pepper Potts instead imo.

Storm
05-08-2008, 07:47 AM
who, or what, is Pepper Pots?

REBEL5 AC
05-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Coldplay and soccer, perfect mix.

fodive
05-08-2008, 09:20 AM
I'll be watching all of Euro 08 since I've got nothing to do at all..plus I LOVE International games...

GR8NESS
05-08-2008, 09:49 AM
YESSSSSSSSSSS! Euro on TV.

International soccer <3

The REAL football...you know, the one you actually play with your feet.

gatorchomp91
05-08-2008, 05:00 PM
You all know where to find me June 7-29.

SECgamecock453
05-08-2008, 07:44 PM
You guys didn't know Euro 2008 was going to be on ESPN? I knew this a long time ago, but anyways I can't wait either. I won't be able to catch the USA vs England match unfortunately because I have to be at work that day..I don't have TiVo or any of that fancy sh*t and I don't even get ESPN Classic. I hope my work computer is good enough to stream the game.

HunkerDown
05-08-2008, 08:25 PM
They should use Pepper Potts instead imo.

Tony Stark's secretary played by Coldplay lead singers wife, Gwyneth Paltrow in Iron Man who looked hot in the movie with red hair.

Thought that would generate more interest for this lame sport.

SECgamecock453
05-08-2008, 08:26 PM
Why do you guys come in here to make fun of soccer? This is a sub-forum for FANS of soccer. We don't go into your wrasslin' and Nascar forums and pull this sh*t. Show some respect chumps.

GR8NESS
05-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Tony Stark's secretary played by Coldplay lead singers wife, Gwyneth Paltrow in Iron Man who looked hot in the movie with red hair.

Thought that would generate more interest for this lame sport.

Yeah, because watching people go around and around in circles is so exciting.

I swear to God, the next time someone pulls this sh*t and bashes it I'm gonna infract them.

HunkerDown
05-08-2008, 08:30 PM
I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Going around in circles?

SECgamecock453
05-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Yeah, because watching people go around and around in circles is so exciting.

I swear to God, the next time someone pulls this sh*t and bashes it I'm gonna infract them.

I thought you were done with the soccer bashing TF, I know that line about Coldplay and soccer was condescending. I know what you think of Coldplay, we just talked about that recently you scrub!

(And yes I did mean to quote you Brumm, just to show that it wasn't just HunkerDown doing it)

HunkerDown
05-08-2008, 08:33 PM
Why do you guys come in here to make fun of soccer? This is a sub-forum for FANS of soccer. We don't go into your wrasslin' and Nascar forums and pull this sh*t. Show some respect chumps.

I don't "go into sub-forums"

I just click on New Posts and see what threads look interesting. Sorry for ruffling your feathers.

Man you guys are way too sensitive.

GR8NESS
05-08-2008, 08:33 PM
I'm in a bad mood....don't F with me tonight.

Anyway Hunker, I'm making fun of the redneck sport...

GR8NESS
05-08-2008, 08:34 PM
We're not sensitive. We're trying to talk soccer and it gets tiring going to EVERY SINGLE EFFING SOCCER THREAD and seeing how much soccer sucks.

To get to the point, how would you like it if I went to the UGA board and started talking about how much UGA sucks in basketball and is historically UK's beeyotch?

HunkerDown
05-08-2008, 08:40 PM
I don't know I certainly wouldn't cry about it. It's just a message board. Relax. For the record I don't believe I've ever posted in a soccer thread before.

Let's get back to talking about Coldplay and his wife.

Storm
05-08-2008, 09:44 PM
I personally think Coldplay is an awesome band, and Gwenoth Paltrow is overrated.....JMO.

War Newcastle United

HunkerDown
05-09-2008, 07:30 AM
I personally think Coldplay is an awesome band, and Gwenoth Paltrow is overrated.....JMO.

War Newcastle United

Coldplay is ok. A lot of their stuff sounds the same. I really like Fix You.

As far as Paltrow she's certainly no super model but she's cute and attractive and you haven't seen her at her best yet...

georgiaguy31015
05-09-2008, 07:46 PM
Well ratings are the name of the game and I don't blame them for trying.

REBEL5 AC
05-09-2008, 07:54 PM
I don't know I certainly wouldn't cry about it. It's just a message board. Relax. For the record I don't believe I've ever posted in a soccer thread before.

Let's get back to talking about Coldplay and his wife.

Quoted. For. Truth.

It's a message board.

Waaaahhhhh, someone's making fun of a sport I like.

REBEL5 AC
05-09-2008, 07:55 PM
I thought you were done with the soccer bashing TF, I know that line about Coldplay and soccer was condescending. I know what you think of Coldplay, we just talked about that recently you scrub!

(And yes I did mean to quote you Brumm, just to show that it wasn't just HunkerDown doing it)

You know you're my G, but I couldn't resist. :)

GR8NESS
05-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Quoted. For. Truth.

It's a message board.

Waaaahhhhh, someone's making fun of a sport I like.

Ironic, you talking about whining.......